Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I think the real question is why do they want to run old DH instead of a newer edition with all the lessons learned from the time and trial and error of the books in between?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There were a ton of adventures published for the first edition, but 2e lost the license after a rulebook and three supplements.

I would assume the adventures are nearly 100% compatible though?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's really no reason to run DH1 when DH2 is there.

There's also no reason to run DH2 when BC is there, but I understand that many are yet to begin their journey on the Path to Glory.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I know not everyone has the throbbing boner I have for Calixis but the Askellon sector was kinda dull, it lacked the placeness of Calixis (which seems to have been developed by people just mainlining Eisenhorn and Ravenor which, again IMO, are some of the best 40k setting material)?

:shrug:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Calixis Sector had soul

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Schadenboner posted:

I know not everyone has the throbbing boner I have for Calixis but the Askellon sector was kinda dull, it lacked the placeness of Calixis (which seems to have been developed by people just mainlining Eisenhorn and Ravenor which, again IMO, are some of the best 40k setting material)?

:shrug:

Askellon sector owned - it was a completely unrepentant shithole, and the more you read about the lore of it from the various books, the clearer it became that the place was just utterly hosed in so many ways. It was literally a sector where there was no significant Khorne presence because he hates the sector so much, and every major Khorne plot is related to Khorne trying to destroy it lol. Like I'm pretty sure I remember reading a bit that the Askellonian Eskelliarchy is pretty sure the Emperor has turned his back on Askellon, which is not very surprising when you read about the sort of stuff that goes on there. There were some fairly interesting planets there as well, like the planet where orks and tyranids fought and killed each other while the Imperials burrowed underground, and after they came back up they found out the surface was covered in ork totems (but orks were mostly dead). They promptly decided that the proper course of action was to just fill the entire surface in imperial statues, like a normal person would do. Daemonic incursions in most sectors were rare at the point in time DH2 is set in, but not in Askellon - there's stuff like random loving daemonettes walking around disguised as wandering swordmistresses in certain parts of the sector, or a space anomaly that's literally a daemon prince peeking in on reality.

It was also made fairly clear that the reason everything is so hosed up is in large part because the Inquisition hosed up pretty bad - and all the major Ordos have their own theories as to what was happening in the background of their massive fuckup. We joked during our campaign there that one of the primary reasons the sector was still around and not destroyed utterly was because all the doomsday plots were interfering with each other constantly.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

I think the real question is why do they want to run old DH instead of a newer edition with all the lessons learned from the time and trial and error of the books in between?

Tell me the big changes and I'll see about convincing them to swap over. They played it in the past and it was fine so they're not super sour on it, other than the mod table.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Cassa posted:

Tell me the big changes and I'll see about convincing them to swap over. They played it in the past and it was fine so they're not super sour on it, other than the mod table.

ignoring the settings since my group never really used anything but the rules:

the single shot/semi auto/full auto modifiers are insane; full auto is literally always the best option

I only played one 1e psyker, but iirc the same character could trivially heal anybody from near-dead to perfectly healthy and put out incredible amounts of damage

most importantly:
the classes were VERY locked in to what they could buy and how costly it was to branch out, even into things that would've made sense for the character's concept

that's just off the top of my head; I'm sure other posters can throw in more examples, but the big thing is your characters are extremely limited to what they can and can't even buy as skills

it's not like i think Dark Heresy 1 is dogshit or anything; I'd rather play it than any edition of D&D; I just don't see any reason to play it instead of DH2

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 27, 2020

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Nah I totally get what you mean. I appreciate the information.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So what's interesting to me is that the (Black Crusade) Tome Of Fate and the (Deathwatch) Outer Reach both came out in 2012 but the former has what I think is the oldcron fluff while the latter has the newcron fluff (the 5E Necron Codex which introduced the Newcron stuff came out in 2011).

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Necrons didn't all wake up at once and it makes sense to me that Space Marines explicitly tasked with hassling Xenos would be likelier to encounter the ones who had awakened enough to be the Necrontyr with Lychguards etc. while the ones Chaos are encountering tend to still be more automated defences as you do a raid to steal a Chrono Orb or other tech for your cabal and run across one of the giant metal centipedes. A DW team could even potentially negotiate with an awakened Dynasty but there's zero ground for that between the Necrontyr and the Warp-tainted BC characters.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Another session of Wrath and Glory! Tonight featured some... revelations about the effectiveness of the Heavy Flamer, as well as my character suffering more damage from complications (Setting myself on fire and getting my foot stuck in a hole. the latter of which required two Wrath die to get myself extricated after some extremely bad rolls) then actual combat.

To quote our tech-priest:

"The storm trooper won't shoot right, the tech priest is jamming his gun, the troopers are ammo-dumping, the medic can't treat wounds, the priest is ON FIRE
Clown shoe noise engaged"

(This was before my foot got stuck in a hole)

But more importantly, here's the GM's writeup on how horrifyingly OP Flamers are in the most recent version of the game:

quote:

Flamers are overpowered in the system:
-Any character with decent ballistic skill can kill over a dozen opponents in one shot, as all of them are hit with the same fairly high damage
-Flamers cannot roll complications as they do not roll to hit
-Related to above, flamers almost never have to reload or use Ammo, as the benefit for using their salvo action is minimal at best and they can never roll the "Out of Ammo" complication
-As it does not roll to hit, flamers are immune to the long range penalties since the target Defense is never applied
-Flamers can be fired into a melee with friendly forces and have no chance of hitting friendly troops
-The Heavy Flamer in particular ignores the bracing rules- it does not roll to hit so the penalty to hit is irrelevant, and it can never roll complications so there is no risk of getting knocked prone

And when you combine that with Promethium Proficiency...

quote:

Promethium Proficiency
XP Cost: 20
Requirements: IMPERIUM Keyword
Effect: You have been trained in the use of the Emperor’s holy fire.
When using weapons with the Inflict (On Fire) Trait, you gain +Rank ED to any damage rolls.
You gain 1 Wrath whenever you kill an enemy of the Imperium using a weapon with the Inflict (On Fire) Trait.

This fuckin' game :shepicide:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 28, 2020

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Thus proving yet again that righteous flame is the most blessed means of purging mankind’s innumerate foes. :black101:

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

MMAgCh posted:

Thus proving yet again that righteous flame is the most blessed means of purging mankind’s innumerate foes. :black101:

So what weapon would you suggest for fighting an enemy who can count? :cheeky:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

So what weapon would you suggest for fighting an enemy who can count? :cheeky:

Math.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

So what's interesting to me is that the (Black Crusade) Tome Of Fate and the (Deathwatch) Outer Reach both came out in 2012 but the former has what I think is the oldcron fluff while the latter has the newcron fluff (the 5E Necron Codex which introduced the Newcron stuff came out in 2011).

I just assumed that any Necrons that have been stuck inside the Screaming Vortex are cut off from any leadership, have been lobotomised by all the warp energy, and/or are just plain confused by being in there. I'm pretty sure the Vortex has sucked in planets from various places, and time may not be linear, so the Necrons might not be able to properly comprehend where or when they are.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Relevant Tangent posted:

Necrons didn't all wake up at once and it makes sense to me that Space Marines explicitly tasked with hassling Xenos would be likelier to encounter the ones who had awakened enough to be the Necrontyr with Lychguards etc. while the ones Chaos are encountering tend to still be more automated defences as you do a raid to steal a Chrono Orb or other tech for your cabal and run across one of the giant metal centipedes. A DW team could even potentially negotiate with an awakened Dynasty but there's zero ground for that between the Necrontyr and the Warp-tainted BC characters.

:hmmyes:

Skellybones posted:

I just assumed that any Necrons that have been stuck inside the Screaming Vortex are cut off from any leadership, have been lobotomised by all the warp energy, and/or are just plain confused by being in there. I'm pretty sure the Vortex has sucked in planets from various places, and time may not be linear, so the Necrons might not be able to properly comprehend where or when they are.

:hmmyes:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, I always thought a lot of the rank and file necron lack personalities anyway and only like lords, crypteks, and so on have personalities.

So if the tomb world is just waking up, and you're only dealing with warriors and tomb spiders, they will appear to be robots without personalities. Maybe on a tomb world the lord didn't make it through the long sleep, (cave in or data corruption) and so you'd not encounter anything with a personality.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-Flamers cannot roll complications as they do not roll to hit

Where is this rule? I skimmed the old and new books for this and didn't see it.

I did notice cubicle7 hasn't bothered to fix the assault weapon trait - it still does literally nothing because the multi-action rule still exists unchanged.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

I did notice cubicle7 hasn't bothered to fix the assault weapon trait - it still does literally nothing because the multi-action rule still exists unchanged.

Man the muti-action assault weapon thing still ticks me off.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Clanpot Shake posted:

It's in the most recent iteration of the rules, which came out within the last week:

quote:

Flamer

Flamers spew a stream of burning chemical liquid. The flowing torrent of flame can be guided by the wielder of a Flamer to set multiple foes ablaze.

When you fire a Flamer weapon, you can target a maximum number of individuals in the weapon’s range equal to your double your Ballistic Skill Rating. You automatically hit every target, and any target may attempt to reduce the damage using the rules for Dodging Area Effect Attacks on p.186.

A weapon with the Flamer Trait is considered to have the Inflict (On Fire) Trait.

During the session we passed off the heavy flamer to a stormtrooper with 8 BS and he managed to kill 13 mutants in a mob of 30 in a single turn. It was slightly bonkers.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Clanpot Shake posted:

Yes, they did. Assault now allows you to attack as part of a Sprint. Normally you can't multi-action/attack with a Sprint because it's a full-round action.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Me and a pair of friends decided to give Wrath and Glory a whirl because our GM is a baby heretic unenlightened, and doesn't like percentile based games. Since we all had the Ulysses edition books, that's the one we went with.

Holy goddamn hell, is that game utterly and completely borked. How did that game ever make it past the editing room? Character creation is an unholy mess, and none of the costs make any goddamn sense. Why on earth would you start with a tier X character, and pay BP through your nose for dubious benefits, when you can just ascend a tier 1 inquisitorial scrub, who does everything better? Why is everything so drat over-costed in general?!

And the layout is so loving terrible. Tables all over the place, usually in duplicate; nearly every rule has a "see p. X" which leads to another "see p. Y" which just restates the first rule; and nothing is written where you'd expect to find it. This isn't a beta version of the game - it's a rough draft for the alpha!

In summation, we had a goddamn blast playing the game. My psyker was compelling enemies left and right to shoot their friends, and my friend's tempestor vaporised everything else with his plasma gun. I really hope Cubicle 7 manages to pound some sense into that mess, because there's gold in them thar hills!

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's in the most recent iteration of the rules, which came out within the last week:

During the session we passed off the heavy flamer to a stormtrooper with 8 BS and he managed to kill 13 mutants in a mob of 30 in a single turn. It was slightly bonkers.

Holy poo poo, that change is ridiculous. Range is still an issue against non-melee opponents, but this would have definitely made my flamer-wielding Tempestus Scion feel less useless compared to the party psyker.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

inscrutable horse posted:

Me and a pair of friends decided to give Wrath and Glory a whirl because our GM is a baby heretic unenlightened, and doesn't like percentile based games. Since we all had the Ulysses edition books, that's the one we went with.

Holy goddamn hell, is that game utterly and completely borked. How did that game ever make it past the editing room? Character creation is an unholy mess, and none of the costs make any goddamn sense. Why on earth would you start with a tier X character, and pay BP through your nose for dubious benefits, when you can just ascend a tier 1 inquisitorial scrub, who does everything better? Why is everything so drat over-costed in general?!

And the layout is so loving terrible. Tables all over the place, usually in duplicate; nearly every rule has a "see p. X" which leads to another "see p. Y" which just restates the first rule; and nothing is written where you'd expect to find it. This isn't a beta version of the game - it's a rough draft for the alpha!

In summation, we had a goddamn blast playing the game. My psyker was compelling enemies left and right to shoot their friends, and my friend's tempestor vaporised everything else with his plasma gun. I really hope Cubicle 7 manages to pound some sense into that mess, because there's gold in them thar hills!

I think that's about where my group is. It's a fun system, and the complication system especially has lead to some really interesting encounters, but god drat is it in rough shape right now.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think that's about where my group is. It's a fun system, and the complication system especially has lead to some really interesting encounters, but god drat is it in rough shape right now.

Definitely. There's some serious potential in that game, but right now it's a stone soup of barely coherent ideas that was rushed past any sort of editing. The core mechanic is easy to figure out, easy to play with, and is highly conducive to all sorts of shenanigans, but apart from that it's splitting at the seams. Everything connected with character creation is, IMO, an ungodly mess.

I like the tiers and ranks, though, but IMO they should be applied throughout the entire game; the wargear and "feats" in particular are all over the place. As an example, we were up against some cultists with autoguns, and they had no practical chance of doing any damage to the party until I asked the GM to "bump them up" to using heavy stubbers instead. There is a clear feeling that the gear in the book was intended to be locked to various tiers, with the lower tiers being outmatched against the ones above. I feel they should make this divide explicit, or rework it substantially.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

I'm thinking about running a one shot/ short campaign for a group of 6-7 players. All but one play 40k tabletop, so they are familiar with the lore, and all of them play D&D, but they don't have much experience with other RPG systems. Would you recommend Dark Heresy or Wrath and Glory? I've played DH 1st edition, and watched people play W&G on youtube, and I feel like the mechanics of DH would be more familiar for people coming from D&D, but I've also heard that W&G is simpler overall, so might be easier to pick up.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I'd probably go with Dark Heresy. As someone who came from having only played pathfinder before playing the 40k RPGs, I think the percentile mechanic will be easiest to grasp than a dice pool builder like WanG, especially for a one shot.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

inscrutable horse posted:

I think, especially when the game was in Ulisses hands, there was some major miscommunication (or outright deliberate disagreement and mutual "gently caress what you say, this is how I think the game works") on the point of Tiers in general.

The biggest problem seemed to be with the campaign adventure they put out, which seemed to assume you'd ascend a tier every adventure, which flies in the face of idea that campaigns would primarily take place at one particular tier and that a character might ascend once during the span of time when they were being played, and that should be a rarity, which is the impression I got from the core. The mixed messaging was absurd.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The tiers make some sense, but in practice just don't work. Like I get they wanted a minimum competency for a space Marine and such, but this weird combination of paying exp to buy the package, required stats, and weird stuff with equipment just leave it convoluted. Additionally some of the tier placement doesn't make sense. Why is a rogue trader a lower tier then a tech priest?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Does anybody have a good arco-flagellant token?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

neaden posted:

The tiers make some sense, but in practice just don't work. Like I get they wanted a minimum competency for a space Marine and such, but this weird combination of paying exp to buy the package, required stats, and weird stuff with equipment just leave it convoluted. Additionally some of the tier placement doesn't make sense. Why is a rogue trader a lower tier then a tech priest?

There's an unofficial online character builder for W&G that should mitigate a lot of the potential confusion with character creation. I'm not aware of anything similar for the older 40k RPGs at least

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is a couple of similar things for both editions of Dark Heresy online. Just google "Dark heresy character creator" and there's a bunch of them. Never used any of them so I can't vouch for how good they are.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Played Dark Heresy 1e today. DM gave us an autogun so I immediately used it to demonstrate how dumb the Full Auto rules are in practice.

Fun system, much more interested in 2e now, not super sold on the classes but I'll have to give it a proper read.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

What do you even do in Soulbound? Like, can you do a “low power” adventure where you all meet at an inn on Sigmar’s magic golden orbital city?

Is there a “premise?”

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014
You're a team of magically empowered super commandos assembled by the Gods (and other powerful individuals) to go on dangerous missions that regular mortals can't achieve.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
It's Warhammer Fantasy Deathwatch.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dachshundofdoom posted:

It's Warhammer Fantasy Deathwatch.

This makes me want to play it more than anything

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blockhouse posted:

This makes me want to play it more than anything

Do it. Its really good. Like I would consider running a soulbound game over discord for some people. Been doing a game since it released so I could teach people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah I didn't mean that disparagingly, it's fun (much like Deathwatch). Age of Sigmar's honestly fine apart from the whole thing where they turned the world into a series of elemental theme park dimensions.