Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm not very good at turning, which can be quite amusing in the tutorial.
*Spinning wildly of control and rapidly heading towards ground fast*
Flight Instructor: Good job, well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I flew into a Hurricane.

I'm not sure if the real time weather doesn't get wind speeds that far out or if I had some setting disabled, but i was able to power right through the eye wall with little difficulty.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I tried taking off in a C152 behind another player flying an Airbus but I couldn't find their wingtip vortex. I hope they modeled those because that would be a lot of fun in MP

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I flew into a Hurricane.

I'm not sure if the real time weather doesn't get wind speeds that far out or if I had some setting disabled, but i was able to power right through the eye wall with little difficulty.

Gotta post the coorda dude

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Google Butt posted:

Gotta post the coorda dude

Take off from Cabo San Lucas and head directly south. Impossible to miss it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Currently cruising the coast of Los Angeles, watching the sun set and listening to some low-fi hiphop.

It's good.

I really dig the little Diamond Air twin engine dealie. Cockpit view is meh but it flies nice and looks cool.

Also, mod to put my phone in the cockpit with Spotify installed when? Needed for maximum immersion.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Been playing Flight Sim all day, I have had much better luck than others in this thread. No crashes, but the huge frame rate drops have been real for my PC. :v:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I said come in! posted:

Been playing Flight Sim all day, I have had much better luck than others in this thread. No crashes, but the huge frame rate drops have been real for my PC. :v:

You tried preloading the cache? For those areas?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

This game is pretty. I took some screen shots.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

:five:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ethanol posted:

i mean im not even bringing up the fact the trailer was stamped with an xbox logo and 'captured in real time 4k 60 fps' and not a single person in this thread can do those settings ;)

One of our scientists at work bought a system with a 24-core AMD Threadripper, 256 GB RAM, 2x 2TG M2, and dual 2080s. He wanted to run Server 2016 on it as a multi-user computation box, but LOL, 2016 and 2019 won't run on that motherboard and 2012 won't recognize the network adapter.

I should sell him on ordering a 4K monitor and going all-in on "graphics visualization testing".

Which we do a lot of. It turns out that if you can get a really good 3D image of a protein, it makes designing a small molecule that binds to a specific receptor a LOT easier.

e.

beer_war posted:

Personally, I'm hoping they can figure something out for bridges. And anchored boats. Most of them look half-sunken since the AI can't figure out height from a 2D map.

I'm going to be over San Francisco, Jenner, CA, and Duxbury, MA a lot. I'll pay good money for good looking marinas and sailboats all over the place. If anyone ever goes that niche.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 19, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I rescind my "The A320 is okay" after it continually and automatically enabled autothrottle again and again so I couldn't land other than forcing the thing onto the ground at speed because I had no control over my power.

In addition, it seems like the ATC can't handle IFR descents at all - I finally ignored them keeping me at cruise altitude and descended myself - faster than a controlled descent - and was still well above where I should have been until I managed to catch up for final.

That was my first liner (barring a failed run with a citation) and honestly I think its going to be my last until they iron out ATC and either fix one of their planes or we get a payware craft that works okay.

So for new folks: Be very, very wary of IFR and jets right now - I'm by no means an expert but I still ran into several bizarre behaviors with these that had I not known "This is a simulator bug" I might have thought I was doing something wrong myself.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

mllaneza posted:

One of our scientists at work bought a system with a 24-core AMD Threadripper, 256 GB RAM, 2x 2TG M2, and dual 2080s. He wanted to run Server 2016 on it as a multi-user computation box, but LOL, 2016 and 2019 won't run on that motherboard and 2012 won't recognize the network adapter.

I should sell him on ordering a 4K monitor and going all-in on "graphics visualization testing".

Which we do a lot of. It turns out that if you can get a really good 3D image of a protein, it makes designing a small molecule that binds to a specific receptor a LOT easier.

I certainly don't have a Threadripper, but I've got a 3900x and 64GB of RAM. It still requires single core speeds that AMD isn't as good as Intel on, but it appears to use all cores at least a little, while 4 cores are maxed. Max RAM usage I've seen is 24GB total system usage while running the game.

My 1080TI bottlenecks if I put texture detail to Ultra. Plenty of VRAM, but I may benefit if I overlocked it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm on an i7-8700K, 16GB of RAM and a GTX1080 and the game runs pretty smooth on High-End at 1440p. I got some chugging flying over down town LA, but nothing too bad.

I do get connection issues when it's loading a ton of scenery, and I'm on a solid connection.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
How do I gain altitude in the smaller craft? I was putzing around with the Robin Dr400 and any time I set my attitude to above horizon my airspeed would drop and I'd stall. I sometimes run into the same issue with the Cessna 172 but can generally get that one at least a couple thousand feet up

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I wish there was a way to display the traffic pattern/landing advice thing outside of the tutorial. Every time I try to do a landing I either end up on the wrong runway or never trigger the pattern so I can't even tell ATC I'm landing.

wyoak posted:

How do I gain altitude in the smaller craft? I was putzing around with the Robin Dr400 and any time I set my attitude to above horizon my airspeed would drop and I'd stall. I sometimes run into the same issue with the Cessna 172 but can generally get that one at least a couple thousand feet up
did you remember to raise landing gear and retract flaps?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

wyoak posted:

Full throttle
Flaps up
Gear up (if applicable)
Mixture set appropriately for altitude (see my earlier posts, if your field is above 3000' MSL you need to do this)
Don't put your nose too high

Look up your plane's Vy speed and trim the plane so that it flies that speed at full throttle to get the best climb rate. A small single-engine thing like the DR400 or C172 can get maybe 600-800 fpm at sea level, decreasing to 100fpm at 14,000 feet, which will seem pretty drat slow if you're comparing it to airliners or fighter jets. They aren't rockets.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 19, 2020

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Malloc Voidstar posted:

did you remember to raise landing gear and retract flaps?
flaps yeah, and those two don't have retractable gear...I'm pretty sure

I'm guessing it's fuel mix, I live in Colorado so I'm messing around in areas I know which are all 5000+ feet. Back to the sim I go

wyoak fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 19, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It looks like the flight directors on all the glass cockpit airplanes won't follow any lateral guidance if the autopilot is off (they just command wings level), so have fun trying to hand-fly approaches.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Akion posted:

I'm on an i7-8700K, 16GB of RAM and a GTX1080 and the game runs pretty smooth on High-End at 1440p. I got some chugging flying over down town LA, but nothing too bad.

I do get connection issues when it's loading a ton of scenery, and I'm on a solid connection.

I have the exact same gear, with 16gb more getting here tomorrow, curious if it'll be noticeable

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
OK I'm getting the hang of this. Now able to hop from airport to airport with some interesting landings. Definitely need to work on landing. Having a ton of fun with this. Hope to graduate to some of the bigger props soon.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I want to try and upgrade from magic flying recticles to actual ILS but that seems like a whole nother clusterfuck in its own right. I don't even know how to tune the drat thing.

Managed to land a few times and not die so hey, making progress. Maybe by the time I have at least some grasp of the basics Asobo will put out a build where the automation on the bigger aircraft isn't homicidal. Usable rudder on a game controller would be nice too.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
has anyone had any luck doing cross platform multiplayer?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you have a random controller (I have a ps3 knockoff) what would be a good set up for the controls? The game didn't pre-assign any, and I'm gonna have to manually set it up. I just want easy flying, nothing crazy.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

I have the exact same gear, with 16gb more getting here tomorrow, curious if it'll be noticeable

Bought more ram today.

Haven’t seen much of a difference aside from game bar showing my ram is at 50% instead of 90% when I had 16gb.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Very cool game, crashed a biplane into my own house. 10/10

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wyoak posted:

flaps yeah, and those two don't have retractable gear...I'm pretty sure

I'm guessing it's fuel mix, I live in Colorado so I'm messing around in areas I know which are all 5000+ feet. Back to the sim I go

Yeah, that'll probably be it. Here's a performance table for the C172

You can see there that on a warm day at 5000 feet you can expect about 500fpm maximum sustainable climb, and it will be significantly less than that if your engine is putting out less power thanks to a suboptimal mixture. That's just how it is when you have thin air. If you want better performance, get into something with twin engines or a supercharger or a turbine.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 19, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Are there any lists or repositories for back country air strips? real short ones on plateaus and poo poo?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

For those of you (me) trying to map controllers, Squirrel has you covered.
https://youtu.be/1DXdGaRgnhU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Man, I don't know what I'm doing, but I can't get the Cessna 172 to start.

1/4" throttle

Priming using 100% mixture and the aux pump.

lean mix

Start

rich mix.

It's like it never catches and just keeps cranking.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bondematt posted:

Man, I don't know what I'm doing, but I can't get the Cessna 172 to start.

1/4" throttle

Priming using 100% mixture and the aux pump.

lean mix

Start

rich mix.

It's like it never catches and just keeps cranking.

Fuel selector on?

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator
I haven't flown since 2003 (turns out that when the government isn't paying for it, that poo poo's expensive), but I was able to get a PPL and instrument rating, so taking hops from Champaign-Willard to Coles County or Rantoul airport and recreating training flights gives me all kinds of feels. I've been greasing the landings, though, which gives me some satisfaction that I haven't lost it all yet...hearing the stall horn go off a bare second before your mains touch down is enough to put a smile on my face, and man, the 172 feels more natural on the rollout and flare than I've ever come across in a sim before. The mushiness of the controls, the gentle settling...though thankfully it doesn't have the tendency to float forever like the Piper Archers I trained on. I know there are some birthing pains, but man, I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be a platform that will be the benchmark for years and years.

I have the Garmin G1000 and G3X manuals downloaded, though the only real functionality I've used is the Direct-To softkey (and using the knob for letter and space entry for the airport ID is a pain in the rear end). Has anyone done a deep dive into how much of the functionality is replicated? I would imagine that at least the navigation functions would be, so you can switch from GPS to VOR/DME.

And has anyone had any luck tracking down a G3000 manual? I'd like to transition to the TBM 930 sometime, but I really don't feel like trial-and-error button mashing, and while I'm sure there's some similarities, it looks like there's some significant UX changes between the G1000 and the G3000.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Lol just misread GB and MB so it's creating a 20000gb manual cache

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sagebrush posted:

Fuel selector on?

I think so? Tanks are set to both, cutoff is open.

Fuel consumption shows a GPH when priming.

Edit: It's going to be something really dumb I'm missing that's not on the checklist.

Or worse: Is on the checklist

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Are there any lists or repositories for back country air strips? real short ones on plateaus and poo poo?

https://idahoaviation.com/all-idaho-airstrips

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of the strips in Idaho. I can't guarantee they're all present in MSFS, but the few I tried were in the sim.

CarterUSM posted:

I have the Garmin G1000 and G3X manuals downloaded, though the only real functionality I've used is the Direct-To softkey (and using the knob for letter and space entry for the airport ID is a pain in the rear end). Has anyone done a deep dive into how much of the functionality is replicated? I would imagine that at least the navigation functions would be, so you can switch from GPS to VOR/DME.

The basics all seem to be there, but doing stuff like editing flight plans or creating them from the G1000 seems wonky right now. Also, none of the Garmin flight directors work for lateral guidance without the autopilot being turned on at the moment.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 19, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Steak posted:

has anyone had any luck doing cross platform multiplayer?

Only the PC version is available.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

azflyboy posted:

The basics all seem to be there, but doing stuff like editing flight plans or creating them from the G1000 seems wonky right now. Also, none of the Garmin flight directors work for lateral guidance without the autopilot being turned on at the moment.

Forgive my lack of FD/AP knowledge, but does that mean that if you want to fly manually with the FD providing guidance, it just provides pitch settings? What does a FD lateral guidance typically look like? A bug at one of the bank angle markers to designate a particular turn entry and exit point?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I did a sunset flight all around my hometown in rural oklahoma and it was pretty fuckin incredible. It rendered some of the larger farms as suburbs in the middle of nowhere but who cares. Also did some MP over LA and saw a bunch of people, one guy popping all over the place.

I think I'm going to go from 16GB ram to 32GB ram and get the next big graphics card. Great performance as is, I just want the best. 172 is nice. Pretty amazing what they've done here.

e; i remember wondering how companies like garmin were going to stay in business when smart phones became a thing, now I know.

mst4k fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 19, 2020

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

At some point in the next month I will be making a new thread and closing this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zero One posted:

Only the PC version is available.

I think they meant between steam and xbox app.