Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Morter posted:

I mean, i played plenty of the first chronicle game, and I didn't hate it. I guess I'm just wondering if the growth of the characters/arsenal is different enough from 4 to be worth buying? I'm reading poo poo about the castle and blacksmith and stuff. That sounds neat, but how does it play out, to you?

To be honest I didn't play a whole lot of 4, not enough to really make a good call on the distinctions between it and 3C's character building. It feels like a normal Warriors progression but portable with a few more things to do on the side what with upgrading castle town so you can get higher tiers of weapons and unlock new skills to forge into them. You get to customize pretty much everyone and level up your favorites if you like building a team, and I kind of did so I could roll around with Nobunaga a lot. I like doing that kind of thing because I like number go up so your mileage may vary but you might just want to go back to 4-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Lmao just did the hypothetical Lu Bu route in DW8XL, it's incredibly dumb and I love it

"Lu Bu was so big and strong he personally beat the poo poo out of everyone in the Three Kingdoms. Also he's literally too stupid to have ideals but is now Emperor I guess? Anyway uuuuh thanks for playing, here's some smooth jazz over shots of Lu Bu yelling"

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The only bad part of the Lu Bu AU is there’s no Lingqi for some reason.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Teratrain posted:

This is why DW8CE is probably my all-time number one Musou to date. Being able to subvert the catastrophic turning-point routs like Chi Bi or Fan Castle by deviating from the story in earlier chapters is absolutely my jam.

A playable Jin scenario also feels like a solid cap to the story, even if it's more "stopping in-fighting and mopping up remnants" than a true final boss scenario like Wu Zhang Plains.

I just wish the alternate history scenarios after the turning point weren't extremely dull, with the possible exception of the Lu Bu campaign.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Urdnot Fire posted:

I was about to say that's because Lingqi was an XL character addition, but then I remembered: so is the Lu Bu story mode. So yeah, not sure what happened there.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

I was about to say that's because Lingqi was an XL character addition, but then I remembered: so is the Lu Bu story mode. So yeah, not sure what happened there.

What it feels like is the writers desperately wanting to avoid Lingqi ever having an real conversation with Diao Chan.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Shinji117 posted:

What it feels like is the writers desperately wanting to avoid Lingqi ever having an real conversation with Diao Chan.

Yeah, between that and the lack of Hideyori in SoS it's like they want to avoid anything complicated.

There is still some brilliance though, I loved the touch of having Hidetada's clothes be too big for him.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 19, 2020

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Unreal_One posted:

If FEW had made the twin blond characters able to change class, and given promoted characters a second weapon type (just clone a similar character) it would be my favorite. The fact that they have the DLC characters, some of whom get movesets not available in the base game, show up in the plot soured it a ton for me.

This is standard in Samurai Warriors, so I guess it didn't phase me lol

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah lol Samurai Warriors 1 had unique characters like Tokugawa as NPCs and I remember way back when on GameFAQs people getting really excited for him to be playable next game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
At least they didn't have player-unavailable movesets. They just used the Edit-officer movesets - mostly the spear.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Finally, after 1000 years, I've discovered the DW 3, Player 2 vs. mod code.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Urdnot Fire posted:

I've only played Warriors Orochi 3 and a little bit of 4 after tons of Hyrule Warriors and giving up on it because it felt slow in comparison so I've never heard of this character.

edit: aww, booo, she's only 5' 7" instead of being an intimidating mountain of a human like her dad.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

I've only played Warriors Orochi 3 and a little bit of 4 after tons of Hyrule Warriors and giving up on it because it felt slow in comparison so I've never heard of this character.

edit: aww, booo, she's only 5' 7" instead of being an intimidating mountain of a human like her dad.

However, she wields that weird yet kinda cool Cross-Pike thing that Lu Bu did in DW6. So she has that going for her.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I really need to play Hyrule Warriors. I wish the drat price would drop, I don't want to spend $60 but it'd probably end up being my most played game on the system, so blah.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

I really need to play Hyrule Warriors. I wish the drat price would drop, I don't want to spend $60 but it'd probably end up being my most played game on the system, so blah.

I really enjoy the game a lot. It's a very slick and fun musou game, while also managing to feel slightly like a Zelda game (occasional boss-type enemies you have to defeat by using a particular item or observing a pattern). I'm still plugging through the campaign, which is fun, but the adventure mode seems like it's even better (though I'm a little flummoxed by the map, but I haven't really spent much time with it yet). Worth the $60 I paid for it imo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RareAcumen posted:

isnt 5'7" like a loving goliath in 200 a.d. because malnourished peasants are lucky to hit 4'6"

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

isnt 5'7" like a loving goliath in 200 a.d. because malnourished peasants are lucky to hit 4'6"

I'm pretty sure that still puts her as either the second or third biggest female character (after Zhu Rong and maybe Wang Yi) as well as taller then a significant portion of the male cast.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 20, 2020

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Picked up Dynasty Warriors 7: Extreme Legends on sale on Steam. Been muddling through Conquest and Legend Mode, initially on Normal, now on Hard.

Nothing's documented in terms of how much of a number is a good amount of attack or defense to have on a difficulty so I've been winging it with a Double Element setup based on whatever seal needs unlocking.

What is the most efficient way to deal with mounds of archers on those solo missions? Running around on a horse for a few minutes seems to do the trick and it seems like there's got to be a better way.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

RTK 14 PUK is coming to PC, PS4, and Switch. December in Japan, early next year for the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJD1DIjyh58

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Man, I wish the Pirate Warriors 3 PC port wasn't so bad. Like half the cutscenes halfway into the story straight up don't work, but at least you could skip them. I just finished the last level, which is kinda long, and the game wouldn't play the cutscene after Doflamingo and it wouldn't let me skip it either.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is XIV any good? Speaking as somebody who liked 4,9 and 10 best.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

ChrisBTY posted:

Is XIV any good? Speaking as somebody who liked 4,9 and 10 best.
It's been some time since I played it, but I would say that it is pretty unfun. There are some interesting ideas with the whole territory control/supply lines, but it is turned to poo poo by the fact that you can no longer directly control units (you just issue general instructions and hope that the AI does a good job) and the base building aspect is fairly plain.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Tried to finish the PW3 Dressrosa mission five more times, it crashed all five times in the last cutscene. I think this just soured me entirely on the rest of the game. :( I was looking forward to the Dream Log but this is just embarrasing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
That's weird, I played PW3 on two different computers, one of them being pretty low-specs, and it only crashed once for me.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Still stuck in Dynasty Warriors 7 XL - how do you get out of air juggles from officers? Doing the flip in the air out of a juggle still prevents blocking in the air and I get juggled again.

The generic officers are usually worse about it than the named, especially the fan and spear ones.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

That's weird, I played PW3 on two different computers, one of them being pretty low-specs, and it only crashed once for me.

Apparently it's by far the most common issue. I did have a problem with cutscenes at random sometimes not playing and sometimes being fine and apparently it all has to do with the codecs? Anyways, it seems complaining online worked - I couldn't skip it with the controller, I had to skip it with the keyboard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Still stuck in Dynasty Warriors 7 XL - how do you get out of air juggles from officers? Doing the flip in the air out of a juggle still prevents blocking in the air and I get juggled again.

The generic officers are usually worse about it than the named, especially the fan and spear ones.

You reload the mid stage save you hopefully just made

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

drat, is the PW3 PC port really that bad (from a technical standpoint)? I haven't played it yet but bought it in a steam sale.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I don't remember any specific port issues with my PW3 game and that was years ago

If I did had any issues with it, it wasn't enough to sour me.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
PW3 had issues with old AMD cpus

I gave up on it when it kept crashing on my old Phenom II x4 955 and never got back to it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ainsley McTree posted:

drat, is the PW3 PC port really that bad (from a technical standpoint)? I haven't played it yet but bought it in a steam sale.

pirate warriors 3 isn't notorious for having a lot of bugs, but mysterious ones will happen to people no matter what you do. it's a bummer it doesn't work properly. otoh you aren't missing too much, dream log is ok but it's way too long imo and the ending they made up for dressrosa was kind of dumb :v:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

God, do these games ever go on sale? Want to pick up either Warriors Orochi 4 or Attack on Titan 2 on PC and theyve been $60 forever arrgghh

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

How's PW4 in terms of content?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

God, do these games ever go on sale? Want to pick up either Warriors Orochi 4 or Attack on Titan 2 on PC and theyve been $60 forever arrgghh

I bought AoT2 for the full 60 cause again, it never goes on sale. Then like a month after they released the expansion thing that you get now if you spend 60. I have to spend another 40 if I want that content.

But the OC is no longer part of the expansion content so I'm not too miffed in getting screwed out of it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I picked up WO4 Ultimate on Switch off of an Amazon sale a while back.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 28, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Leal posted:

I bought AoT2 for the full 60 cause again, it never goes on sale. Then like a month after they released the expansion thing that you get now if you spend 60. I have to spend another 40 if I want that content.

But the OC is no longer part of the expansion content so I'm not too miffed in getting screwed out of it

didnt they pull a similar stunt with Warriors Orochi 3->4? theyre makin it so hard to justify spending the money on their games

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Azran posted:

Also want to know.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I bought Pirate Warriors 3 for $5 on a PS4 digital sale like two years ago.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Azran posted:

Less grindy and shorter than PW3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I bought Pirate Warriors 3 for $5 on a PS4 digital sale like two years ago.

ya, if I want to buy on ps4 or switch, i can get these games pretty cheaply. If i want to buy on steam tho, Im SOL