Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

If memory serves the 18-55 on the X-T4 gets at least 4.5 stops. It’s solid. [Edit] 6.5 apparently? Jeez. And it was 5 on the X-H1.

If you’ve still got budget after going for the X-T4 go for a prime, the one weakness with the 18-55 is that lack of boookeeeehhhhhh. It’s a great lens but getting the Fujicron 35 is something else entirely.

Ordered a "like new" 35mm f/2 when I couldn't sleep last night. I'm excited for it to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Fats posted:

Ordered a "like new" 35mm f/2 when I couldn't sleep last night. I'm excited for it to show up.

One of my faves for the Fujis. Love the focal length and it's a nice little lens.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's probably going to be a while before Fuji gets the IBIS into a rangefinder-style body given that the X-pro3 is less than a year old, huh? I'm guessing they'd have to make size compromises on an X-E or X100 style body but the X-Pro has the extra thickness that might allow it to fit.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

23 Skidoo posted:

I'm looking at purchasing a new camera for my birthday in a few months, currently have an Olympus E-M10 Mark II and was tossing up between an Olympus E-M1 Mark III or a Sony A7R mark II. I'm somewhat invested in M4/3 and own 5 lenses (30 and 60mm macro, 14-42mm pancake, 40-150mm 4-5.6. Love the portability, weight and largely am pleased with the results and use it for street photography, macro and I want to get into astrophotography (already have a 12mm samyang f2).

Wildly different cameras, similar costs, except when it comes to buying new lenses to achieve results.
I shoot manual, don't really rely upon AF for macro or street photography, but would likely use the Starry Sky AF with the Olympus for astrophotography (if Stage 4 lockdown in Victoria ever ends).

Bit concerned about the price of lenses if I go Sony, whereas I have a complement of lenses if I stick with M4/3.

Also planning on buying either a lens for bird watching Oly 70-300 4-5.6 or Oly 75mm 1.8 for portraiture and a flash for macro/general usage (Oly fl-700wr) or a pro lens, specifically either the 12-40mm for general usage or 7-14mm for architecture/street photography (quite like the wide angle look and nature of the latter).

If I went the Sony, I'd probably just buy the 90mm FE macro and then save up for other lenses.
I'm pretty sure I should just stick with the Oly, but what says the Dorkroom? Is there another camera/system I'm missing out on?

If it were my money, and I wanted to stay in the MFT system, I would buy the Panasonic G9 instead. It's considerably cheaper, and what you saved would buy you another lens or two.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

23 Skidoo posted:

I'm looking at purchasing a new camera for my birthday in a few months, currently have an Olympus E-M10 Mark II and was tossing up between an Olympus E-M1 Mark III or a Sony A7R mark II. I'm somewhat invested in M4/3 and own 5 lenses (30 and 60mm macro, 14-42mm pancake, 40-150mm 4-5.6. Love the portability, weight and largely am pleased with the results and use it for street photography, macro and I want to get into astrophotography (already have a 12mm samyang f2).

Wildly different cameras, similar costs, except when it comes to buying new lenses to achieve results.
I shoot manual, don't really rely upon AF for macro or street photography, but would likely use the Starry Sky AF with the Olympus for astrophotography (if Stage 4 lockdown in Victoria ever ends).

Bit concerned about the price of lenses if I go Sony, whereas I have a complement of lenses if I stick with M4/3.

Also planning on buying either a lens for bird watching Oly 70-300 4-5.6 or Oly 75mm 1.8 for portraiture and a flash for macro/general usage (Oly fl-700wr) or a pro lens, specifically either the 12-40mm for general usage or 7-14mm for architecture/street photography (quite like the wide angle look and nature of the latter).

If I went the Sony, I'd probably just buy the 90mm FE macro and then save up for other lenses.
I'm pretty sure I should just stick with the Oly, but what says the Dorkroom? Is there another camera/system I'm missing out on?

Don't have much to say about Sony (or the above-mentioned G9) but I recently bought the EM-1 iii and love it. I upgraded from an EM-10 ii so it was a pretty massive jump. To me the handheld hi-res mode was the kicker, I love it for shooting landscapes.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I own the Oly 75-300 and really like it for what it is. Its light and the reach is great. I am about to take it in a canoe for three days. I have taken it on a camping trip before and got some nice shots of a loon and baby. It is also fun to have for those “hey, is that a moose?” moments to zoom in on stuff even if its just a dark fallen log or whatever.

I think about upgrading my E-M10 original, but it is so light I love to travel with it. I have the 75-300 and the 17mm (which is amazing) with me for this canoe trip and am really happy with this kit and how light it is.

I guess I am saying if it was me, I’d stay Olympus. I just love how easy to take it is. I want to put my hands on an E-M5 III to see if I like how it feels, but I am also not in a hurry. I will be interested to know which way you go!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fats posted:

Ahhh hell yeah. It’s really nicely sized and good quality.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Oly feels good in the hand while every single Sony I've every tried out has given me killer cramps in my hands. Also oly image stabilisation is loving killer.

If you want the security of an imaging division not being kicked into the pits of hell like olympus might be now though, panny are real solid too.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I was sitting with no camera and only one Fuji native lens for a moment and with the chance to start fresh almost went to M43 with a Lumix G9. I only really need something that has good video, but appreciate good stills too. The G9’s got what seems like the best in-camera multishot high-res mode of any crop sensor camera right now, and it’s video specs are close enough to the GH5, so it was a close call, but I ended up staying in Fuji. Frame for frame, the latest Fuji sensors are putting out the nicest looking 4K and FHD images in the crop sensor class, even though there are some recording time and heat buildup issues.

I did end up grabbing the 14/2.8 for my wide angle. Got to directly compare it to the 10-24, 15-45, and the Zeiss 12/2.8 Touit. The 14 was sharper and had better centering than any of the others. It’s a really, really good lens. With it and the 35/2 I feel like all I’m lacking is a tele. I like the build and slight speed advantage of the 55-200 but I’m worried about letting it hang off my X-T30 when shooting from a tripod, because there’s no collar. The little camera’s mount doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence; I could see it getting warped..

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

With it and the 35/2 I feel like all I’m lacking is a tele.
Time to place an order for the 200/2...

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Pro: has a tripod collar.

Con: A little heavy and kind of expensive. Not that you can put a price on quality.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I suspect this is an audience of one question again, what's the go to A mount budget long lens these days? I'm looking 300mm+, f number not hugely important as it's going to be mounted on a tripod in my kitchen aimed at a bird table (there is what can only be described as a swarm of starlings living very near my house that I'm going to try and bribe into my garden)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Hard to beat MFT for long zoom value.

Panaleica 100-400 goes for under a grand now used. The new Oly 100-400 has good reviews as well. There's also a myriad of budget options at 300mm or below, and of course high performance primes with the Oly 300 and the Panaleica 200.

MFT obvs so double the numbers for 35mm equiv.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh I have the Panasonic 100-300 in MFT :) want to use the old a37 for this one, because dogs.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Thanks all. Think I'll buy the E-M1 Mark III tomorrow and then save up for either the 12-40mm pro or the 7-14mm pro.

Unless I purchase the Laowa 50mm 2x macro that just came out, though given I have the 30 and 60mm Oly I'm decidedly unsure I need it, except for the 2x magnification to really get up close.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What kind of macro shots are you taking? I've had the 60mm f/2.8 for like 8 years now and it's been fantastic. If you're a huge macro shorter and you've got a need then go for it, but if you've got other things you're shooting that money may be better spent on something else.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

DJExile posted:

If you're a huge macro shorter and you've got a need then go for it

My feed has lately just been macro shots, due to being restricted indoors except to visit the shops quickly (I don't exercise nearly as much as I should, but I'm not sure I could get away with photography whilst not walking as exercise) due to the Victorian Stage 4 lockdown currently in place.

I've been taking shots of my wife's eyes, my cats eyes, uranium glass, uranium glass under blacklight, glass lamps and nicely textured things.

I would use it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the 7-14mm for when lockdown is ended and I can do some astro as well as nice looking streetscapes and architecture.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Olympus’ Live Bulb and Live Composite modes seem like they’d be very useful for night landscapes and astro. I don’t usually do much of either with digital cameras, but this time I brought my X-T30 on a camping trip and found the 30-second maximum exposure time in aperture priority mode to be pretty limiting in the deep darkness of a state park. T mode and a histogram worked but still required some trial and error. I’d been spoiled by my old Nikon FE2, which would meter out to an hour or more in auto mode, with no guesswork needed except a ballpark estimate for determining reciprocity failure compensation. Neither camera’s solution seems as cool as getting to see the exposure as it builds up, though.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

GEMorris posted:

Hard to beat MFT for long zoom value.

Panaleica 100-400 goes for under a grand now used. The new Oly 100-400 has good reviews as well. There's also a myriad of budget options at 300mm or below, and of course high performance primes with the Oly 300 and the Panaleica 200.

MFT obvs so double the numbers for 35mm equiv.

For an ultra-budget tele-zoom, the Panasonic 45-200 isn't that bad either. I bought one on eBay for $80 a few weeks ago, and I've managed some decent shots with it on my GX7 already. The one I got is the older MEGA-OIS version which doesn't allow dual-stabilization, so I may regret being so cheap if i ever finally upgrade to the G9.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What’s with the MFT responses to a question about A mount?

Learnincurve how much you lookin to spend? Tamron and Sigma made A mount stuff so you can look to recommendations for other mounts from them, though you’d might need to look at the older versions. If I was looking I’d probably do the Sony 70-400 second gen cause I like that kind of size/tele ratio in other makes, but it might be a pricy piece of glass for what you’re doing. Otherwise there’s stuff like this: https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%201293988.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-tfA_NWn6wIVENbACh24zA0YEAQYASABEgKAZ_D_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase and this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802142399-USE/sigma_73a205_150_500mm_f_5_6_3_apo_dg.html

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ah those last two are exactly the kind of thing I’m after thank you! My searches kept giving me the old budget superzooms and E mount rather than the (relatively) newer A mount stuff.

It’s not that weird that I’m sticking with A mount btw, I have a set of the pro-level minolta lenses that were bought for me in the 1980s, and my macro lenses are in A mount so I’m long long term committed to the point that I bought a new A68 while they still exist new the other day.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My brain glossed over "A mount" when "reading" the op and I went straight to "justpost"

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Ah those last two are exactly the kind of thing I’m after thank you! My searches kept giving me the old budget superzooms and E mount rather than the (relatively) newer A mount stuff.

It’s not that weird that I’m sticking with A mount btw, I have a set of the pro-level minolta lenses that were bought for me in the 1980s, and my macro lenses are in A mount so I’m long long term committed to the point that I bought a new A68 while they still exist new the other day.

Wow, a true ride or die A-mount user. You know about the LA-EA4 adapter that sticks an SLT mirror in front of an E-mount camera, so you don’t have to lose everything if you move to mirrorless? I used to have one for my a6000 because at the time there were no 300mm+ teles in E-mount at all. It worked OK. Just too bad the Minolta 100-300 APO I got to use it with was...not great.

A few years ago I was at a camera swap meet and had been offered to buy a big Minolta AF collection including an a-7 (pro film camera body), 50/1.8, 70-210 beercan, 35-something slow zoom, and some kind of cool Minolta wide angle that I can’t remember the specifics of anymore, all for $60. Passing on it is one of my major camera gear regrets.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
New a68 was £420, and has 79 focus points - for me that was what killed the idea of getting one of the new E mount full frames and an adaptor because with it any camera it’s fitted to drops down to 15 focus points and at that point you get into “Why not just get a a99?” and I’m not good enough to justify getting a a99 I’m afraid

I am quite possibly the only person that camera was made for, Nikon D7500 but lighter and with IS but Sony.

Edit: if it’s any consolation you didn’t miss out by that much, the 3 old Minolta beer cans (35-70mm f/4, 35-105mm f3.5-4.5 70-210mm f/4) go for a steal on eBay right now, you could probably pick them up as a set for £60

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 19, 2020

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I’m still riding my a99ii and my gear. I’ll buy e-mount when I feel like it’s not performing anymore. The a7R IV is the first camera that made me consider switching, but I’ll sit tight for now. Spending 5k on new camera gear right now when I can’t travel is not the right move financially.

I live on two lenses (Zeiss 24-70 and 70-400 G) and I still have my vintage Minoltas for when the mood strikes. A tamron 70-200 fills in the blanks.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Anybody interested in an Olympus 9-18 before I put it on eBay? I have no idea why I bought it, I really only use the 12-40 and 15mm

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Has Sony explicitly said they’re abandoning A mount, or is it just obviously inferred at this point?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It’s honestly a cool system. Full frame DSLR body style with no mirror shock, and IBIS like Pentax but also with usable video. The on-sensor PDAF (in the latest and greatest models at least) and EVF kind of makes it seem redundant or a lot of fuss for just one extra AF system in the mirror though. Still I’d kind of expected maybe one last generation of SLT body to come out in the next two years but the shrinking camera market combined with the consumer apocalypse of COVID has pretty much sealed its fate. I bet we’ll ll never see another new A-mount camera, although the a99ii generation is probably going to be good enough for while still.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 20, 2020

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

23 Skidoo posted:

Thanks all. Think I'll buy the E-M1 Mark III tomorrow and then save up for either the 12-40mm pro or the 7-14mm pro.

Unless I purchase the Laowa 50mm 2x macro that just came out, though given I have the 30 and 60mm Oly I'm decidedly unsure I need it, except for the 2x magnification to really get up close.

Going to bend the trend and say get the Sony. The face/eye focus on the a7r2 is great and you can buy the excellent tamron 28-75 and save a bunch. Sony also beats MFT on noise, shallow depth of field and resolution hands down.

The pricey lens on the FE mount is really a non issue now that we can get great third party lenses from tamron or sigma.

Especially look at how cute and cheap this tiny full frame sigma 85mm 1.4 is when it's specifically designed for the shorter back flange distance on the sony.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1581240-REG/sigma_322965_85mm_f_1_4_dg_dn.html

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It’s honestly a cool system. Full frame DSLR body style with no mirror shock, and IBIS like Pentax

More like Pentax is like us, we had it first. :colbert:

quote:

The on-sensor PDAF (in the latest and greatest models at least) and EVF kind of makes it seem redundant or a lot of fuss for just one extra AF system in the mirror though. Still I’d kind of expected maybe one last generation of SLT body to come out in the next two years but the shrinking camera market combined with the consumer apocalypse of COVID has pretty much sealed its fate. I bet we’ll ll never see another new A-mount camera, although the a99ii generation is probably going to be good enough for while still.

The a99ii is roughly equivalent to the a7RIII (which came later) in AF performance. It was much better than the a7Rii at the time for C-AF, but the a7Riv is the first camera that really beats it in terms of continuous performance at 42+MP. It also had much better battery life until Sony put the new batteries into the E-mounts.

Also it has the best flippy screen of any camera, and I'm sad that Sony is using the Canon style flip-out in the a7sIII. I hope the a7RV/a7V use the a99ii's style screen. It's also got the excellent silent multicontroller with clicks you can enable. I have no idea why E-mount bodies don't have it. I also prefer the A-mount style vertical grip with the in-line shutter button, and again why E-mount made a step backwards with a Canon-style grip I'll never understand.

A-mount is dead as far as new products, though. No one should buy into it now unless you understand it's dead and you can get a bargain. Sony is still supporting it in terms of warranty, pro support, and selling lens and accessory stock, but there won't be an a99iii. This year would be the refresh cycle (a99 in 2012, a99ii in 2016) and if this fall comes and goes, you can stick the fork in it. They've had ample time to introduce an a77iii and they haven't, which is also a sure as sign. I've been using it for twenty years, and I'm leaving it in my next purchase.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

The Sigma 1.4s are NICE. I just copped a second one at 16mm and the quality is very good for the money. Also if anybody wants to see what the Oly IBIS system inside a PEN camera looks like I can pop up a cell photo. Those cameras are perfect candidates for IR modding if you are mechanically inclined and well worth the price they go for used if you have other MFT poo poo already.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s also incredibly hard to find any of the later gen A mount Sony bodies second hand in the UK. Very few people bought them after the NEX came out and the resell value on even the first gen A77 and a850/900 is eye wateringly high. tbh Sony should really look at fixing that adaptor so those of us who did actually buy into the A mount system don’t feel so hosed.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I have an XT-10 and a 35mm 1.4. I’ve been considering upgrading to an XT-2, but also realized the 35mm is too narrow for me and I don’t really like using it in most situations. For about the same money I can either get an XT-2 or an XF 16mm 1.4. What would you go for first, the body or the lens?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'd get the lens, as that's going to have a larger affect on your shots than a new body. Only exception may be if there's something body-wise that's really holding you back. Autofocus will improve with the T2 for instance, but I think you'll get improvement in that department with the 16 vs 35 too.

E: to put it another way, if you're unhappy with the 35 on the x-t10, you're still going to be unhappy with it on the x-t2 (especially given your main complaint is the focal length itself, rather than some other aspect of the performance).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 22, 2020

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

frogbs posted:

So I have an XT-10 and a 35mm 1.4. I’ve been considering upgrading to an XT-2, but also realized the 35mm is too narrow for me and I don’t really like using it in most situations. For about the same money I can either get an XT-2 or an XF 16mm 1.4. What would you go for first, the body or the lens?

Seconding getting the lens. I own the 16mm 1.4 and let me tell you the stages I went through.

1 - Man, this is the most overhyped lens ever - sure it's *pretty* good and all but can't help feeling like I was expecting more, I dunno.

2 - This lens is pretty solid actually. Getting a lot of low light shots in and the minimum focus distance is extremely good. Too bad it's drizzling today but hey, it's weather sealed so I don't feel too worried.

3 - Today I have shot insanely crisp portraits of my gf and also entire buildings as well as some generic street photography.

4 - I love this lens. The only thing I'd change is the lens hood that came with it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frytechnician posted:

Seconding getting the lens. I own the 16mm 1.4 and let me tell you the stages I went through.

1 - Man, this is the most overhyped lens ever - sure it's *pretty* good and all but can't help feeling like I was expecting more, I dunno.

2 - This lens is pretty solid actually. Getting a lot of low light shots in and the minimum focus distance is extremely good. Too bad it's drizzling today but hey, it's weather sealed so I don't feel too worried.

3 - Today I have shot insanely crisp portraits of my gf and also entire buildings as well as some generic street photography.

4 - I love this lens. The only thing I'd change is the lens hood that came with it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I think i'm going to list my XF 35mm on ebay and save up for the 16mm. I can upgrade the body later, maybe wait for the X-T5 and snatch a used X-T4

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

frogbs posted:

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I think i'm going to list my XF 35mm on ebay and save up for the 16mm. I can upgrade the body later, maybe wait for the X-T5 and snatch a used X-T4

Goon courtesy mandates “dibs”. I already have it, but someone is always looking for it on in these dead gay forums.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any Panasonic S1 owners here who can tell me their experience with their S1? I'm thinking of upgrading to S1 from GH5. Need something with better low light performance, better EVF and brighter LCD screen. Really like the Panasonic menus and camera designs so hoping to stay within Panny. I know that the autofocus is still bad. But I don't use that as much, these days.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 24, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have S1 with grip. It is the best digital camera I have used. EVF is fine, I use the camera with only adapted mf lenses.

Only thing bugging me is that the "focus" zone is always visible - you have a white box in the evf on top of the image and it can not be hidden or disabled. I like my finders clean.. but it is what it is.

The camera has actually more customizable buttons than I have the need for. You can customize I think every button with whatever you want.

I don't think the rear screen is bright. It is "ok" but I would not describe it as "bright". Evf is cool in cloudy weather and bright enough in sunny too. I think 60hz mode is brighter than 120hz.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Pulled the trigger on the EM-1 Mark III and did some thinking about needing pro glass.

Decided I'd just continue with my kit lens, 30 and 60mm Oly macros, 4-5.6 telephoto zoom and 12mm Samyang and focus on getting a 7.5mm Samyang F3.5, camera bag and flash for macro/general use.

For flashes, I'm considering the Oly FL-700WR, the Godox V350O or a cheap add-on the Oly FL-LM3 for a tiny flash that for some reason doesn't come with the Mark III.

For bags, I'm looking online at the new Peak Design Messenger bag, can't find many reviews, but it seems like with its lifetime warranty I'd be covered. The features such as quick release strap adjuster and weather proofing really appeal, plus I like the amount of space and looks of it in black. Also like the Tenba DNA 15, which is larger, prettier and cheaper.

Any highly recommended messenger/shoulder bags?

23 Skidoo fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 24, 2020