Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I wish I could delete solo queue Novas from the game

Nova in general really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Did they undumpster her or just people picking her and being terrible?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
You're just jealous she makes the big bucks.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

for those wondering, zul'jin's new talent at level 20 does not generate additional on-hit stacks, making it... pretty underwhelming

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kith posted:

for those wondering, zul'jin's new talent at level 20 does not generate additional on-hit stacks, making it... pretty underwhelming

thank you for this warning before I play several games that end at level 15-20 trying to test the talent out

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wish I could delete solo queue Novas from the game

Nova in general really

This but the 'good' trifecta of Ranged Assassins in Li-Ming/Lunara/Tass.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

thank you for this warning before I play several games that end at level 15-20 trying to test the talent out

try mode saves lives

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I'm not sure which I hate worse, QM Illidans or Bronze League Butchers

Aaod
May 29, 2004
I find with butcher you can at least lead them around a little bit, but bad illidans? Not a chance.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
A bad lvl 20 Illidan might be more likely to do something than a bad Lvl 20 Butcher with no meat.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Aaod posted:

Did they undumpster her or just people picking her and being terrible?

pretty sure it's just "wow hot sniper lady must pick her every single time I can"
see widowmaker in overwatch

Aaod
May 29, 2004
What I figured since last I knew she was still garbage tier because blizzard gave up on balancing her because they can't balance her at low MMR and high MMR so they just gave up entirely.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

nova is also a stealth assassin w/ massive burst damage and killing a target before they have a chance to react or meaningfully defend themselves provides a particular kind of high that a lot of people are into (see also: Stealth Archer builds in Skyrim and/or pretty much any game with Sniper Rifles in it)

it also just so happens that nova is stuffed to the gills with crutch mechanics so bad players succeed with her in silver/vs AI and then take her out for a spin and whoops now they're incompetent because everyone else figured out how to play with normal characters and easily counter lovely novas

Kith fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 22, 2020

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
What can also make Novas so bad is how a few of them refuse to ever attack anything that is not a hero. I have seen a few Novas and Valeeras that end the game with extremely low siege damage and XP.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

so the ETC buff is dumb

like really dumb

like really really really really really really dumb

like there is zero reason to ever take any other level 13 talent for any reason

8% cooldown reduction on your heroic for each enemy hero hit with Face Melt, twice

this is after ETC was widely considered to be one of the most balanced tanks in the game with high playmaking potential balanced by high skill requirements

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Their plan is to nerf Loud Speakers, the level 4 range on W talent. This is generally how they do it, overbuff then apply the nerf they wanted to do afterwards.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Abathur seems to be in a good place right now.

The slug is leading me to single que win streaks of 6 or 7 qm games in a row. Soaking multiple lanes gives a giant boost to bad teams early on, late game, rolling with a second symbiote gives so many spikes to a monstrosity that’s a great center of a murder ball.

There’s a lot of that “hat me I’m the star player” to ignore though.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I don’t know how to play with abas for whatever reason and I always dread seeing one on my team. I don’t doubt you are one of the golden abathur lords who crush the will of peasants, but that is not the quality of Aba I get.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Nova is fun because you can get huge kill streaks and dominate teams that have poor positioning. It's not uncommon for me to get 8/1 ratios with her. But she struggles when teammates can't deal out damage for her to capitalize on, or are bad at laning generally. She can't really carry a bad team, so she's a bit of a win-more hero. And if the person playing Nova is bad at positioning, then she's just dead weight. All that being said, there is nothing funnier than playing as Abathur and repeatedly blowing up Nova with mines.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Rexicon1 posted:

I don’t know how to play with abas for whatever reason and I always dread seeing one on my team. I don’t doubt you are one of the golden abathur lords who crush the will of peasants, but that is not the quality of Aba I get.

I love you. Tell me your're bnet name.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
slug slug slug

Tier one: Pressurized Glands
It gives enough range to make hatting minions really worth it

Tier two: Needlespine
Range and damage, just mash q w and e over and over.

Tier three: Networked Carapace
It can shield a whole wave of minions, Tyrael does this well too. It gives them so much more soak potential

Tier four: Heroic - Both are good, but I prefer monster for the uninitiated. It gives you skin in the game, helps you make a murderball after L20

Tier five: Soma Transference
More heal for your monster, or whatever hero you hat

Tier six: Envenomed Spikes
You can really light a squirrely enemy up, people dont often notice the hat on non players. Trap people, help them escape, tank with the monster (Volatile Mutation is actually good too if you can work the monster)

Tier seven: Hivemind
This thing hats two people, that's so much spike in the murderball, esp with something like Volatile Mutation

Soak early game, maybe pop on for the first clash in middle lane. If there's nobody in a lane, pop in and collect globes. Practice getting from one pack of minions to the next efficiently, simultaneously watching the map, your slug butt, your team. Dont type, you have something better to do. Dont try to be a healer unless youre really lacking for things to do, or you see you can help one really effective player. Dont do what people in QM tell you to do. Post level 20 try to herd up with everybody to really make that radiant damage/mass shield heal felt. Locust build is fun if you're playing a really short map, like the one with the altars and cannons and poo poo I forget, it's so short they can kick over lanes if you follow this spec, but replace with locust talents.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I haven't played in like two years, can you still deep tunnel into the enemy base, pop some locusts, hearth out, hat the locusts and kill a keep (either 100-0 during curse on Cursed Hollow or 2-3 trips on other maps)?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SoundwaveAU posted:

I haven't played in like two years, can you still deep tunnel into the enemy base, pop some locusts, hearth out, hat the locusts and kill a keep (either 100-0 during curse on Cursed Hollow or 2-3 trips on other maps)?

No, they fixed that years ago.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

W.T. Fits posted:

No, they fixed that years ago.

No, you can totally still do this, you just have to get closer on account of no longer having the global mines range talent.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

you 100% can still do that and fan caused an emergency patch by going on a ~28 game winstreak in masters by abusing the gently caress out of it on stream

edit: yeah this

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/heroes-of-the-storm/23305953/heroes-of-the-storm-balance-patch-notes-february-12-2020#abathur

it's still doable but takes a lot more wrangling

Kith fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 25, 2020

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
To be fair, it was absurd to have locusts do that kind of structure damage and I don't know what the devs were thinking at all. It was hilarious watching Abathur singlehandedly destroy every keep without risk, but not balanced in the slightest.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Huh, I thought that strategy died after they nerfed the range on the ranged locusts. My bad.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

W.T. Fits posted:

Huh, I thought that strategy died after they nerfed the range on the ranged locusts. My bad.

They reintroduced the issue after a patch where they buffed locust damage to structures. This video exemplified the tactic (particularly after 13:00)

https://youtu.be/VrehQeWIZU8

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
It’s entirely possible that I’m wood league and soaking multiple lanes is a viable strategy in QM. It seems like as I do better, they match me with newer and newer people till I’m hatting some boob trying desperately to lick a window. The slug takes the two lanes that are completely ignored in these matches and pours experience into the team.

Fan can play a whole match as Maive without taking a hit.
I’ve never had gameplay with anybody ever doing anything like that.
I was watching Pally for a while because he seems not as good, for some reason I like that.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Pushing/Soaking builds still work often in QM because people are so focused on team fights. I have seen plenty of matches with a abby or azmo slowly pushing to victory while my team or the enemy team barely bats an eye at them.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Charles Bukowski posted:

a bad Lvl 20 Butcher with no meat.

you've already lost. i am all for fighting to the last, and pulling VITAL uses of long cooldown skills, but

if it's lvl 20 and your butcher hasn't grilled 200 meats?

you're hosed. Butcher needs to thrive early to make use of anything. If it's late game and he is still trying to finish his HERO SPECIFIC EARLY-GAME BUILD-IDENTIFYING QUEST; THIS IS THE THING THAT MAKES BUTCHER WORTH PICKING AT ALL

There are plenty of heroes that can recover from a losing early game and turn it around.

Butcher's specific thing is landing early game ganks and balling out of control.

If your Butcher fucks up his early game, and somehow still isn't hitting 200 BBQ by level 20 you are hosed

It takes a long rear end time to hit 20. If any hero hasn't finished a level 1 quest by level 20 they are dead weight. Butcher is a special case where that's 300% true.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

ToxicToast posted:

Pushing/Soaking builds still work often in QM because people are so focused on team fights. I have seen plenty of matches with a abby or azmo slowly pushing to victory while my team or the enemy team barely bats an eye at them.

This is the Dumb Trick. If it works, you can win even if your 4 teamates are worse than Beginner bots. You can single handedly win the actual match while your team loses 4v5 objectives and the enemy team ignores pushes. I've done this plenty with Abathur and Zagara. Probably still works with Sylvanas too. If you push during an objective and they don't respond, GO HAM. You will reach their core with no issue. Worst case scenario, they realize you are soloing core and then your team wins the mid/late game objective that is much more powerful than the early game wins.

I've enjoyed playing mine build Abathur recently. I think it is one of his worst builds, but it excels against predictable players. With certain maps, you can place your mines with devastating accuracy to completely shut down gankers, and you get to force the best players on the enemy team (who are first to show up to objectives) and make them retreat/hearth when the poo poo starts to hit the fan. Any time a runner dies from your mines is the most satisfying kill ever.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I said words once upon a time about MMR Hell and unless something has drastically changed (not likely) they're still accurate

Kith posted:

I've been leveling a smurf for the sole purpose of being able to play Cho'Gall with an amusingly inappropriate name. In doing so, I have been reminded how awful incredibly awful it is to labor away in the MMR Mines, and I am here to share with you all some things I've learned/relearned:

The "Carry" role 100% exists in Pre-Platinum. Characters with consistent, high, and safe damage output will win games outright - especially if they have access to any form of scaling damage. Zagara, Raynor, and Zul'jin are practically gods here.

Raw siege/soak is an extremely viable tactic in Pre-Platinum. In Silver and below, team cohesion and map awareness are purely coincidental. By Gold, players have started to learn that there's safety in numbers, but this often comes at the expense of soak and objective prioritization. Nine times out of ten, you can get away with pushing lanes for the entire match and the enemy team won't know what's happened to them until it's too late.

"Just murder them" is also an extremely viable tactic in Pre-Platinum. They can't earn XP if they're dead, and it's not like they're going to be coordinated enough to handle you slaughtering them repeatedly.

Platinum is HOTS's version of MMR Hell because of what players learn in Pre-Platnium. Pre-Platinum is all about using the enemy team's inexperience against them: outmaneuvering your opponents in either micro (murder them) or macro (out-siege) is often more than enough to ensure victory. However, once you get to Platinum, you enter the population of players who have a pretty solid grasp of both and you have to start dealing with the concept of counterplay. Many players in Platinum are good enough to stay out of Gold, but not good enough to have an understanding of how or why they're failing to advance.

Adept A.I. is actually incredibly good at mimicking the patterns of a middle-Gold player. The objective prioritization isn't there, but many of the matches I played felt like legitimate vs AI games in terms of opponent action/reaction times.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
I find this pretty accurate pre platinum another strategy is figuring out who is the worst player on the team and repeatedly murdering them so that their team is always one person down when fighting for objectives. What you said also means playing anything but damage or certain tanks tends to lead to a MMR drop.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

WITCHCRAFT posted:

This is the Dumb Trick. If it works, you can win even if your 4 teamates are worse than Beginner bots. You can single handedly win the actual match while your team loses 4v5 objectives and the enemy team ignores pushes. I've done this plenty with Abathur and Zagara. Probably still works with Sylvanas too. If you push during an objective and they don't respond, GO HAM. You will reach their core with no issue. Worst case scenario, they realize you are soloing core and then your team wins the mid/late game objective that is much more powerful than the early game wins.

Been playing Murky a lot recently and generally winning from massive experience leads while mostly ignoring what's going on with the rest of the map. With Zagara enemies will at least try to force you out of lane occasionally, with Abathur maybe a stealth hero will make it behind the wall and kill you, with Murky nobody ever wants to deal with you because it feels like a waste of time then they end up so far behind on levels that it's impossible to come back. Add in consistently bribing camps on their side of the map and it almost feels like cheating at low ranks.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Smurfing with a murky is legit therapeutic

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rexicon1 posted:

Smurfing with a murky is legit therapeutic

gently caress off, smurfing is a lovely thing to do.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

SirSamVimes posted:

gently caress off, smurfing is a lovely thing to do.

So is playing Murky, but there's no way to stop people from doing either of them. :smith:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nah playing Murky is fine, intentionally getting queued against people below your skill level is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.
This game still has matchmaking? I assumed it was desperately trying to find 10 people on the same planet at this point

That Tyrande heal buff looked significant but she still feels pretty feast or famine.