Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

only super weedies care about this stuff. besides, i've travelled to every state and spoken with ever person and trust me, the support isn't as widespread as you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Gumbercules posted:

I fully support the phonebanking idea, if the Sanders crew takes their campaigning talents to the Trump campaign then maybe he can also lose every county in Michigan.

Haha yeah get their asses king!! it’s extremely funny those losers wanted medical care and livable wages and basic human dignities so badly they fought for it and failed. Freakin owned!!!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mrbotus posted:

If the Democrats become conservative enough, is there a way they could float uniting with Republicans to make a one party to the rule over the country? or would the "cultural" part of Republicans message make that a no go? Either way, I think this is the last "election" America is going to have.

The illusion/face of direct opposition is fundamental to justifying the US political arena so I doubt it's going away anytime soon no matter how lazy each "side" gets at keeping the mask on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Somfin posted:

War criminals supporting a candidate is just a sign that the candidate is very normal and moderate by my nation's standards and no I will not be analysing that any further

That is the soul of America

Trump has tarnished America's fundamental values of polite genocide and warcrimes with his very impolite and sometimes even crass tweets

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Haha yeah get their asses king!! it’s extremely funny those losers wanted medical care and livable wages and basic human dignities so badly they fought for it and failed. Freakin owned!!!

I was raised conservative, but as I became an adult I discovered that intellectual conservativism was a farce and they were all just stupid and spiteful at heart.

It's been very cool finding out that liberals are exactly the same, and will mock you just as much for wanting to afford insulin as Ron Paul would

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

It’s just flat out sociopathic glee at this point.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nucleic Acids posted:

It’s just flat out sociopathic glee at this point.

the khive is ascendant, i would expect nothing less

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I mean, if they could get the Republicans to oust to open crazies, an "American Party" could keep people distracted with "fights" between "liberal" people like Biden versus "moderate conservatives" like generic Republican or whatever.

Maria Juana
May 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong thread

Maria Juana fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 19, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How is the moment Colin Powell comes out in support of Biden at hte convention not when you go NoJoe?

It's the only moral thing to do.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

MonsieurChoc posted:

How is the moment Colin Powell comes out in support of Biden at hte convention not when you go NoJoe?

All the pro-Biden posters have gone unusually quiet the last couple of days. Normally they're in this or the other thread gaslighting people or demanding to know if the NoJoes are voting Trump. Maybe even they're finding the Dems going full mask off to be a bit too much?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wicked Them Beats posted:

All the pro-Biden posters have gone unusually quiet the last couple of days. Normally they're in this or the other thread gaslighting people or demanding to know if the NoJoes are voting Trump. Maybe even they're finding the Dems going full mask off to be a bit too much?
They're probably reformulating their arguments via PMs and discord about why having Kasich and Powell at the DNC are good, actually, and also why the media deliberately misrepresenting AOC performing a bog standard convention procedure is also not a problem and actually normal.

Also this thread has gotten some new posters in the past few weeks and I'm sure enemies.gsheet needs to be updated.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Twitter needs a day or two to get their arguments in order for why the Dems going full war criminal is good. Don't worry, once the takes get disseminated we'll hear from them.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Cognitive dissonance is powerful but fragile. Also everybody eventually gets tired of just having fights all the time so D&D has naturally divided itself neatly between people who are greeting the election with despair and people who are somehow able to stave off existential misery by focusing on all these great polls.

At least we’ll all be together when we go, huh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

rko posted:

Cognitive dissonance is powerful but fragile. Also everybody eventually gets tired of just having fights all the time so D&D has naturally divided itself neatly between people who are greeting the election with despair and people who are somehow able to stave off existential misery by focusing on all these great polls.

At least we’ll all be together when we go, huh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.”

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Why Biden backing off ending fossil fuel subsidies is a win for the environment, a tweet thread: Now some of you may have heard (1/87)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

It's not a war crime it's a generalized military conflict unlawful mishap

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I find it noteworthy that the deliberately misleading misinfo (dezinformatsiya? :tinfoil:) about AOC was done with direct and actual quotes.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's a dumb move on the Democrats' part (and disrespectful to those who died in the Iraq war due to Powell's actions), but I think people acting like it's Biden "taking his mask off" and revealing himself to be identical to a Republican are exaggerating.

For better or worse, it changes nothing about how Biden will govern as president, which every indication shows will be based off Obama's policies and implemented using many of Obama's staffers. Obviously, there is plenty to criticize about this!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Why would they be upset, Biden is arguably more responsible for Iraq than Powell and that clearly wasn't an issue for them

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

William Bear posted:

It's a dumb move on the Democrats' part (and disrespectful to those who died in the Iraq war due to Powell's actions), but I think people acting like it's Biden "taking his mask off" and revealing himself to be identical to a Republican are exaggerating.

For better or worse, it changes nothing about how Biden will govern as president, which every indication shows will be based off Obama's policies and implemented using many of Obama's staffers. Obviously, there is plenty to criticize about this!

It just reinforces the argument the left has been making that Biden will not actually be better on foreign policy than Trump

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

punishedkissinger posted:

It just reinforces the argument the left has been making that Biden will not actually be better on foreign policy than Trump
Since the Bush era foreign policy hasn’t changed that much across multiple presidencies

Obama was way better on Cuba/Iran but that was about it

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Since the Bush era foreign policy hasn’t changed that much across multiple presidencies

Obama was way better on Cuba/Iran but that was about it

Wasn't Biden opposed to the Iran deal? He's opposed to easing the restrictions on Cuba too IIRC.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/1295501196019499011

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Why did they show thanos/trumps snap working when it didn't, because ironman/obama had the stones? Bunch of incompetents, these people.

Also I guess obama dies in november, rip.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I find it noteworthy that the deliberately misleading misinfo (dezinformatsiya? :tinfoil:) about AOC was done with direct and actual quotes.

If like Mayor Pete finished in second place and one of his delegates gave the exact same speech/nomination for Pete as a procedural matter there is absolutely no way NBC and all of the outlets make a big controversy over this (and then retract it at like 3 in the morning after the damage has been done). It's incredible that liberals think that the corporate media (and the former Democrats that populate their airwaves/print as "analysts") are unbiased and a force for good. They gaslight the poo poo out of their audience just like Fox News and Breitbart do.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

punishedkissinger posted:

Wasn't Biden opposed to the Iran deal? He's opposed to easing the restrictions on Cuba too IIRC.

Not sure, but the current draft of the 2020 Democrat platform calls for returning to the Obama-era status of relations with Iran and Cuba.

Frustrating attempts to get to the bottom of this questions, and arousing leftist worry, is the fact that Biden doesn't speak much about foreign policy. His website states some principles, including the aforementioned support for a return to the Iran deal.

His foreign policy shop is being run pretty opaquely too, with some information here. here. FP points out some areas of particular focus, including refugee protection, climate change cooperation, UN relations, and scaling back US military deployments, which have won some leftist praise.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

My position remains that left-wing politics is a state of constant activism that doesn't disappear and take a break after an election. Biden is poo poo, but electing him will ensure that some form of activism can continue. Under Trump you may not even have an election by 2024.

Basically, vote for the lesser evil, and continue demanding better things while holding the Democratic party accountable. Build a political base from the ground up and maintain it beyond just electioneering. The left wasn't strong enough to seize the narrative in the primary and the moderate republicans now run the Democratic party. But those policies won't be enough for the country or the world and thus continued activism is necessary since the Dems are far more likely to make concessions than the GOP who would actively destroy everything.

The one and probably only good thing that can come from a Biden presidency is the passage of Bill HR-1 if the Dems win the senate. Assuming they don't walk that back it means far more chances for left wing progressives to win government in the south as more blacks get enfranchised and demand their fair share.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

The real question isn't whether or not Biden would try to restart the Iran deal, I think he will. The question is how he'll respond when Iran refuses to play along since they know any deal won't be worth the paper it's written on. What good is a multinational agreement like the Iran deal when it has an expiration date of the next election? There's a good chance Iran outright refuses, or they demand larger concessions that Biden is going to balk at for fear of looking weak, and when that happens he'll be surrounded by people who stand to personally benefit from him taking military action.

Kraftwerk posted:

My position remains that left-wing politics is a state of constant activism that doesn't disappear and take a break after an election. Biden is poo poo, but electing him will ensure that some form of activism can continue. Under Trump you may not even have an election by 2024.

Basically, vote for the lesser evil, and continue demanding better things while holding the Democratic party accountable. Build a political base from the ground up and maintain it beyond just electioneering. The left wasn't strong enough to seize the narrative in the primary and the moderate republicans now run the Democratic party. But those policies won't be enough for the country or the world and thus continued activism is necessary since the Dems are far more likely to make concessions than the GOP who would actively destroy everything.

The one and probably only good thing that can come from a Biden presidency is the passage of Bill HR-1 if the Dems win the senate. Assuming they don't walk that back it means far more chances for left wing progressives to win government in the south as more blacks get enfranchised and demand their fair share.

So I highlighted a bunch of stuff in here. "Maybe" and "if" doing a lot of heavy lifting in there, but what I'm going to focus on is "holding the Democratic party accountable." How? They clearly don't care what the left has to say, given they think it's a winning move to lionize Republicans at the convention. They just weakened their climate change platform for fear of offending capital. You yourself admit that "moderate republicans" are in control of the party apparatus. Is this some demographics is destiny nonsense? Do you think the media is going to somehow be friendlier to the left in four or eight or twelve years? You saw what they did to AOC last night as well as I did. Concessions from the Dems? They sure seem pretty resistant to the concept right now when they need my vote, and I doubt their more likely to concede anything after the election when they no longer need it. And while you worry about the damage Trump might do to electoral politics, you saw how hostile the Dems are to the very concept of voting; they're even using the threat of bringing back the superdelegates to browbeat the left into submission.

I will no longer vote for the lesser evil because 1.) that measurement is becoming less meaningful each cycle and 2.) if I'm voting for evil then evil has no reason to stop being evil since I've surrendered the only leverage I have.

Edit: seriously they just invited John Kasich, Meg Whitman and Colin Powell to speak for Joe Biden, and quietly dropped a platform element to appease ExxonMobil, and you're still arguing that the left has a shot at concessions. They're telling you, to your face, that the concerns of Republicans and capital weigh far beyond your petty demands to not die from climate apocalypse or lack of healthcare. They're assuming that you'll vote for them no matter what, and you keep proving them right and getting nothing in return. And then next time there will be an even greater threat than Trump and, hey, c'mon, you can't withhold your vote, think of the consequences!

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 19, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I would be surprised if Iran was just suddenly like ‘ok, we’ll go back to the deal’. It doesn’t work that way. Plus nothing is stopping Biden from losing reelection and then another GOP psycho comes in to kill that agreement again.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kraftwerk posted:

Demanding anything is literally goddamn pointless if they know you're going to give them your vote regardless.

In what world do you expect someone to give you something they don't want to give you without any sort of incentive to do so?

rko
Jul 12, 2017

And then next time there will be an even greater threat than Trump and, hey, c'mon, you can't withhold your vote, think of the consequences!

At least we don’t have to worry about any surprises between now and the end of civilization, since it’s just going to keep happening over and over again and no one will learn anything. Love our v. cool and smart country.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

My big takeaway from this election is the absolute insanity of strategic voting. If you vote based on your understanding of how other people will vote, then you leave yourself vulnerable to propaganda in a unique way. I think it was CDA who brought up the concept of the third party affect in some incarnation of this thread (thanks for that! I hadn't heard of that concept before). If everybody voted based on the platform they wanted, then Howie wins 50 loving states. But since people are voting based on how they think other people will vote, instead we will get either Vanilla Existential Doom or Strawberry Existential Doom.

If after watching the DNC sabotage AOC last night was not enough to convince you that the democrats are wolfs in sheep's clothing, then I don't think anything will. There is no "moving left" for a party that platforms republicans, adamantly refuses to have any moderate leftist goals on its platform (which can just be lies! They won't even loving lie about it!), and actively sabotages the careers of rising progressives. We may as well try to move the loving republicans left.

I gotta be honest in retrospect it's embarrassing to me how long it took me to get here.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

the_steve posted:

Demanding anything is literally goddamn pointless if they know you're going to give them your vote regardless.

In what world do you expect someone to give you something they don't want to give you without any sort of incentive to do so?

I'd normally agree with you if the GOP was running Mitt Romney and Bush Senior types who can at least do SOMETHING about the pandemic while keeping their abuse of power to a minimum.
But in what scenario do you see the left wing continuing to exist or having a shot at power if Trump wins again and gets a mandate to gently caress with democratic institutions? The mission to remake the Democratic party doesn't stop with Bernie.

Activists need to continue occupying congressional offices and demanding better from their political leaders. Electing Biden doesn't mean falling in line with him and accepting everything he says. It means preserving the ability to vote and expanding the franchise to more people who have been excluded due to GOP fuckery. You do this in combination with aggressive protests and activism demanding better.

Andrew Mellon ruled economic policy for more than a decade before FDR turfed him and brought in the New Deal. This didn't happen because FDR was a gracious good Democrat. It happened because the abuses of the wealthy elite reached such a level where society was about ready to completely collapse and take the wealthy with them.
That reckoning is coming once more and I don't believe the GOP will do anything short of sending in paramilitary groups and opening up concentration camps for political dissidents.

Continuous, relentless activism changes party policy. Even Biden's platform today would be unthinkable 20 years ago were it not for people demanding change. Those demands don't just magically stop because he won the primary. It has always required tireless work and activism. Elections are just a brief holiday and the real work involves coordinating with the Sunrise movement and other movements to push for progressive policies until even Blue Dog stalwarts can't deny it anymore.

If everyone gave up and stopped participating in the political process because their chosen candidate didn't win then we wouldn't even have a Martin Luther King or civil rights movement. The election is just one step not a solution.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 19, 2020

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Is Biden the lesser evil? His foreign policy from the past 5 decades is monstrously evil, and foreign policy is where the president has the most control. Biden was one of the architects of Iraq, he’d been pushing for war with them over a decade, and that ended up destabilizing a quarter of the world. He’s never met a foreign intervention that he hasn’t liked, and even with the assassination of Iran’s general, Biden just objected to the method of killing, he also wanted him dead. Trumps foreign policy is definitely worse than Obama in the Middle East, with probably at least triple the amount of death and destruction, and his refusal to stop the genocidal war in Yemen. It’s probably better in South America with his gross incompetence being a boon. But how will joe Biden’s foreign policy hold up? He’s a war criminal and is pursuing the support of other war criminals.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

copy posted:

My big takeaway from this election is the absolute insanity of strategic voting. If you vote based on your understanding of how other people will vote, then you leave yourself vulnerable to propaganda in a unique way. I think it was CDA who brought up the concept of the third party affect in some incarnation of this thread (thanks for that! I hadn't heard of that concept before). If everybody voted based on the platform they wanted, then Howie wins 50 loving states. But since people are voting based on how they think other people will vote, instead we will get either Vanilla Existential Doom or Strawberry Existential Doom.

If after watching the DNC sabotage AOC last night was not enough to convince you that the democrats are wolfs in sheep's clothing, then I don't think anything will. There is no "moving left" for a party that platforms republicans, adamantly refuses to have any moderate leftist goals on its platform (which can just be lies! They won't even loving lie about it!), and actively sabotages the careers of rising progressives. We may as well try to move the loving republicans left.

I gotta be honest in retrospect it's embarrassing to me how long it took me to get here.

Maybe you don’t know what people want which is why you think all 50 states would vote for someone that doesn’t get any loving votes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

spunkshui posted:

Maybe you don’t know what people want which is why you think all 50 states would vote for someone that doesn’t get any loving votes.

The people voted for pain

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

spunkshui posted:

it's pretty clear the democrats do not know or care what people want and it works for them.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

spunkshui posted:

"Nobody knows what anybody else wants and we would be better off if we stopped pretending like we do" is literally the thesis of my statement there so thanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

Is Biden the lesser evil? His foreign policy from the past 5 decades is monstrously evil, and foreign policy is where the president has the most control. Biden was one of the architects of Iraq, he’d been pushing for war with them over a decade, and that ended up destabilizing a quarter of the world. He’s never met a foreign intervention that he hasn’t liked, and even with the assassination of Iran’s general, Biden just objected to the method of killing, he also wanted him dead. Trumps foreign policy is definitely worse than Obama in the Middle East, with probably at least triple the amount of death and destruction, and his refusal to stop the genocidal war in Yemen. It’s probably better in South America with his gross incompetence being a boon. But how will joe Biden’s foreign policy hold up? He’s a war criminal and is pursuing the support of other war criminals.

It's a hard sell for me to believe Joe will be as blase about nuclear proliferation as Trump has been.