Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ok who's going to check the local landmarks for me and put a video up on YouTube?

Take off from NCL Newcastle International Airport

Taking off from the Terminal end of the runway, head North,

Make a couple passes over Northumberlandia:

55°05'19.4"N 1°37'46.6"W
55.088725, -1.629613

From there,

Due South, Visit the Angel:

54°54'50.7"N 1°35'21.2"W
54.914092, -1.589210

Turn back North,

hit the Tyne and follow it NE to pass by the bridges and the Sage on the right bank:

54°57'49.4"N 1°36'55.7"W
54.963730, -1.615471

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Broken Machine posted:

if you have a ps4 or an xbox controller, something like that you might just use that at first and see if you like it.

This is violence.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

This is violence.

hmm yes, better to spend a hundred or more on a game you might not play. i have a full setup for flight sims, but it's nice to just play casually with a controller on the couch, too

also if you're not sure you'll like it, you can get a game pass and play it for a dollar

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Broken Machine posted:

hmm yes, better to spend a hundred or more on a game you might not play. i have a full setup for flight sims, but it's nice to just play casually with a controller on the couch, too

also if you're not sure you'll like it, you can get a game pass and play it for a dollar

:sympathy:

I finally got around to getting FO4 the other day and it's not very good so I reinstalled FNV. "I know that feel" (as the kids say these days).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1295696740188917761

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wow, the area around Groverhaus really developed!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

if youve ever wondered what the american southwest looked like 200 years ago when the rivers actually flowed well check out microsoft flight simulator

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Does this game have an active "cheat" type map like DCS? I like just exploring and looking around, but I'm basically lost all the time. I'd love to integrate this with a google map type system or even overlay street names.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Also I assume normal pilots try to quickly look up what AOA stands for in the middle of a turn.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Salt Fish posted:

Does this game have an active "cheat" type map like DCS? I like just exploring and looking around, but I'm basically lost all the time. I'd love to integrate this with a google map type system or even overlay street names.

it doesn't, unfortunately, and i think that's a big loss. it would be amazing if you could overlay real sectional charts, but at least a basic bing street map or something would go a long way to helping people find airports in their area.

Salt Fish posted:

Also I assume normal pilots try to quickly look up what AOA stands for in the middle of a turn.

altitude of aircraft, obviously

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Salt Fish posted:

You can turn off damage, move your plane around at like 1000 mph, and also generally reposition the camera wherever in "Drone Mode."

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i got like 460,000 on the landing challenge!!!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

sweet!!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just got my first crash to desktop! this really is microsoft flight simulator

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Shaggar posted:

imo they really over-emphasize the softness of the landing (the score appears to be (lateral accuracy + linear accuracy) * descent rate-1) because irl it's much more important to be on the centerline and touch down with plenty of runway left than it is to set the wheels down at 1 fpm. you should get more points for thunking it down dead center than floating it down gently off to one side.

(i got 800,000)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Sagebrush posted:

are you at RHV

cause yeah i'm also automatically doing the noise abatement procedures I do IRL and I am having trouble convincing myself to violate the SFO bravo. lol

yes and i could not for the life of me figure out how to work the APC RPG to approve me transiting SJC airspace so whoops I'm gonna just overfly at 1500 and hope nobody notices

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
They're not lying when they said everything is in there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's epstein's sex island right

i saw that a bunch of people are going there already. the internet never ceases to surprise me

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Flew through the grand canyon, down the suez canal, and took off from Hillary Tenzig airport and flew down the mountain into India, that was pretty kick rear end.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone had the game get stuck during loading at like 30%? I tried opening it again and rebooting but the progress bar won't move past that point even after 20 minutes. The process seems to be reading only 60kb/s so I doubt it's doing anything :(

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I always liked how Twilight 2000 used NOTAMS as diagetic flavor text and (being Twilight 2000) they added world-appropriate notes to them like "FULL OF MANPADS NO FLIGHT BELOW 10000" to them.

:3:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone had the game get stuck during loading at like 30%? I tried opening it again and rebooting but the progress bar won't move past that point even after 20 minutes. The process seems to be reading only 60kb/s so I doubt it's doing anything :(

yeah, I had to try a few times before it actually started downloading stuff. solid first impression.

it's better once you get past that

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

i had it fail to start downloading, with a progress bar that was stuck on the bottom of the screen - i'm not sure if that's what you mean, but if you haven't been able to load into the game yet, the fix is to uninstall it and redownload. once i did that it downloaded like normal

i've had some bugs, and i'm still figuring out how to set the controls like i like but it's pretty cool. just being able to fly around a well modeled world in real time is something i've wanted for a long time.

i did have some slowdowns w/ manhattan and jfk airport, but generally it's been pretty smooth on a midrange pc

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

try launching it as administrator, this was an issue a lot of people have run in to

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Broken Machine posted:

i did have some slowdowns w/ manhattan and jfk airport, but generally it's been pretty smooth on a midrange pc

is it post-911 Manhattan?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

is it post-911 Manhattan?

i didn't really notice but i think so, doubt they'd want people recreating that

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

oh good gonna see if Fifth Avenue makes a good landing strip

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i'm so pissed this came out right after a giant storm has caused me to be without power and internet since last monday. gently caress.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

akadajet posted:

yeah, I had to try a few times before it actually started downloading stuff. solid first impression.

yeah the installation process is terrible

me it crashed to desktop near the end of downloading the last huge package. in the package directory I could see all the uncompressed files for it still sitting around and yet after starting it again it skipped the downloader and went straight to the main menu as if everything was ok

didn't even bother trying to start a game and reinstalled it

(told yall earlier in the thread that asobo got some clown dna)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress SNEEP posted:

try launching it as administrator, this was an issue a lot of people have run in to
Nope that didn't help.

And the actual issue is with launching the game. It does the Checking Updates thing, then goes to the loading screen and gets stuck there.

The FAQ says it could be due to weird Unicode characters in the windows user name, which I do have. This caused problems with some steam games too before, so it sounds plausible. But I logged into another account but MS store doesn't see the existing installation and forces me to do it all again :mad:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i dont think its unicode characters cause mine crashes during updates too

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

The FAQ says it could be due to weird Unicode characters in the windows user name, which I do have.

You'd think a French company would make software that could deal with this.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lightbulb Out posted:

i'm so pissed this came out right after a giant storm has caused me to be without power and internet since last monday. gently caress.

post/handle combo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

is there a way to go back to the world map while you're flying, or otherwise add a destination? i started with the world map option and took off, but i didn't set a destination and i'm not seeing a way to add one while underway so i can set the autopilot

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1296199802171133954

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/liamosaur/status/1296305264870662144?s=20

lol I have to see this in a video flyby

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ALL THESE ARE YOURS – EXCEPT AUSTRALIA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

that's just that really tall condo building from central park

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

ALL THESE ARE YOURS – EXCEPT AUSTRALIA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE

more posts like this, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

fs2020 is super duper fun flying around with friends, had 5 of us flying around the rockies it was dope