Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Peachfart posted:

you liked discovery and picard, lol

Discovery is good. Picard is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

as long as it's the same creative people behind the scenes it's reasonable to assume nothing will meaningfully change about how these shows are made, especially if just enough people are satisfied that they keep paying money to see more of it. Voyager and Enterprise ran collectively for 11 years because they were on UPN, this stuff isn't going away until or if someone decides to shut down CBS all Access.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hot take: your opinions on a given series are valid in almost any case, but this:

Peachfart posted:

is pretty crappy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Part of the thing is too that I think these productions are caught in a feedback loop with the worst elements of the fandom, since it's those reactionary elements that are typically the loudest and most visible. It's worse now that many of those assholes have developed their own little cottage industry selling the two minutes' hate back to themselves, the shows pivot in some way to try to address their insane concerns and the whole thing winds up being more hosed than it was before. Most people that aren't into the shows for decent reasons either section themselves off in secluded dying corners of the web like this place or move on entirely (lol yes some people make healthy choices) and effectively vanish from the conversation. What chance is there for any real improvement under these circumstances?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t give two shits about angry YouTube chuds, I’m down for Strange New Worlds and I’m down for Short Treks getting weird.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The humor of Lower Decks isn't super doing it for me yet but the B plot of episode 2 left me smiling. It feels weird being able to be excited for a Star Trek show again but I really feel like they have it in them to find their footing and have a show that I can think of as actually being part of Star Trek in my brain. My biggest hangup is the Mariner Boimler dynamic more than anything, and the end of the second episode already feels like a taste of it becoming not painful for me. I'm a little afraid of getting too invested just because Picard really realllllly didn't leave a good taste in my mouth by the end, but even the first Lower Decks episode wasn't anywhere near Picard bad for me, not even close.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Technowolf posted:

New info on Strange New Worlds and Short Treks

Main thing is Alex Kurtzman saying that SNW will return to TOS style "planet-of-the-week" stories.

Nice to see Alex Kurtzman is reading my posts ITT. :smug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, the more I think about it, not only did Picard not stick the landing, it wasn’t even in a gymnasium and instead did a dive headfirst into an empty swimming pool.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Technowolf posted:

New info on Strange New Worlds and Short Treks

Main thing is Alex Kurtzman saying that SNW will return to TOS style "planet-of-the-week" stories.

Hey, it worked for Voyager!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Martytoof posted:

Man, the more I think about it, not only did Picard not stick the landing, it wasn’t even in a gymnasium and instead did a dive headfirst into an empty swimming pool.

Not good?

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

You have every right to your terrible opinion, Quattro Titty Kayleigh.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've thought about it and I've decided the funniest part of Picard was the low effort plagiarism. It just makes me smile

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I've thought about it and I've decided the funniest part of Picard was the low effort plagiarism. It just makes me smile

If it'd been me, I'd have gone all in on it and have Picard give a full on Picard Speech to a 2 mile tall mechanical squid with a booming metallic voice. Purely because chatting with Sovereign is the best scene in the entire Mass Effect franchise.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you can imagine that!! :O

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Martytoof posted:

I’ve kind of heard and read a few articles and podcast mentions of LDS and it seems like the chief complaint which isn’t “It’s just not that funny” is “it doesn’t treat Trek with reverence” which I guess is just a bridge that can’t be gapped if someone was expecting a serious cartoon with some jokes thrown in rather than an in-canon sendup of the genre. Like okay, if you were expecting an animated TNG where all the humour is subtle or one-off then I’m perfectly happy saying this show isn’t for you.

Which is fine, not every show has to be for everyone, but it kind of irks me that it sets the tone that the show is somehow bad because of it.

I'm enjoying Lower Decks but I would also enjoy seeing something like an animated continuation of TNG.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Watching the RLM videos about the best TNG episodes made me start rewatching the whole series from the start. I don't know how much of it is nostalgia but even season 1 of the show had some banger episodes that makes modern television look stupid by comparison. I honestly don't believe that skipping season 1 is a good recommendation; the really bad episodes are enjoyable to laugh at and remind us of what old television used to be about. Seeing Tasha Yar flirt with Picard momentarily is hilarious and should never be skipped! But there's also an episode where a superior species kidnaps the Enterprise's children which teaches the viewer about passive resistance and how society can crumble if technology is allowed to become our utopian masters. Like, woah, two really good morals in a single season 1 episode!

It's making me appreciate Lower Decks less since I'm not as starved for new Trek (I know there are plenty of less-famous TNG episodes that I've missed so they'll all be new to me) but I'm as hopeful as the rest of you that, like Futurama, the show gets better as it goes. Only 2 episodes in and it's on the right track, at least!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TNG S1 is one of those rare treats that I save for when I have nothing else to watch. Since it only crosses my eyes every few years, It never fails to deliver because there are episodes that I straight up literally do not remember so it’s like finding new TNG every time I watch it.

E: don’t remember as in “I vaguely remember this episode existing but I have no idea what happens so this is new to me!”

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I liked most of Picard and Lower Decks so far, what does that say about me?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Everyone seems to have a hardon for claiming Picard was the worst thing in the world ever and a complete garbage fire instead of just a bit of a mess that couldn't deliver on its own promises.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

For me it’s just sad with all the talent they had, Picard was worse than Discovery which isn’t a great show either

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The exchange rate on Trek That Didn't Live Up To It's Promise, measured in Voyagers

Voyager = 1 Voyager (baseline)
Enterprise = .75 Voyagers
Discovery = 1.25 Voyagers
Picard = 3 Voyagers

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean it's not the worst show, but you can do a lot better man.

Above three posts, fully accurate imo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Everyone seems to have a hardon for claiming Picard was the worst thing in the world ever and a complete garbage fire instead of just a bit of a mess that couldn't deliver on its own promises.

I didn’t like it because in all honesty, the dialogue and pacing were horrifically amateurish. Like, college creative writing course bad.

I’m going to lay half the blame for that on the shoulders of Michael Chabon and Kirsten Beyer, who are both novelists. Discovery was the first non-paper piece of media to make it to air that either of them had written before going onto Picard. Writing a book and writing for the screen are two very separate skill sets.

The other half of the blame goes to Kurtzman for not realizing this, hiring people who are just not competent enough to write for television, or even recognizing that what they were writing is just not good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As someone who enjoyed Voyager for the most part on a recent re-watch, I'd give Picard a .5V

I legitimately stopped enjoying Picard probably a third to halfway through but couldn't make myself not finish because -- hey, hatewatching is still kind of fun in a "neat trainwreck" sort of way. After an explosive and fun opening two episodes it just seemed to really peter out, and it felt like they were really spinning about halfway through. I definitely don't begrudge people thinking was just middling or liking it, but like LDS not being "for everyone", I think Picard just wasn't for me and managed to miss about every mark I was looking for.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 19, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think you might have that system backwards. If I'm reading it correctly, half the Voyager means half the disappointment.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh well then I guess we’ll go with 2V.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Martytoof posted:

As someone who enjoyed Voyager for the most part on a recent re-watch, I'd give Picard a .5V

I legitimately stopped enjoying Picard probably a third to halfway through but couldn't make myself not finish because -- hey, hatewatching is still kind of fun in a "neat trainwreck" sort of way. After an explosive and fun opening two episodes it just seemed to really peter out, and it felt like they were really spinning about halfway through. I definitely don't begrudge people thinking was just middling or liking it, but like LDS not being "for everyone", I think Picard just wasn't for me and managed to miss about every mark I was looking for.

It's possible that they did recognize this after the hiring was done as it seems Kurtzman and Akiva took more and more direct hand in the show as it progressed (but they suck too so hey).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Again my biggest thing was Picard is they had all these things set up to create an interesting story and move the Star Trek universe forward and then slapped a non-nonsensical ending that had nothing to do with how it was set up.

It really looked like they were setting up to something about trying to rebuild hope and optimism and creating a world of Ex-Bees and Free Droids coming together to create new life and new civilization that the Federation should embrace while also talking about living to your ideals when you've lost so much but they kinda just messed it up. I liked most of Picard's characters but it didn't gel. I am hoping they can fix a lot of that in season 2.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

I think you might have that system backwards. If I'm reading it correctly, half the Voyager means half the disappointment.

Correct. This simple and scientifically accurate system measures the failure of a series to live up to its potential

Picard failed three times as hard as Voyager at giving us what it should have.

I mean the premise was basically just "picard" but TNG2, borg, 7of9, romulans, and then we just get weird disjointed poo poo and another Dr Soong

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My gut feeling is that Picard, as originally conceived, would have been good. And then a suit (*cough*AlexKurtzman*cough*) came in and said "uh no, we need to cast Jeri Ryan in this thing and make her some kind of space vigilante, adjust the story accordingly" and half of the story threads just kinda got left dangling, while Hugh's role was handed over to Seven.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

My gut feeling is that Picard, as originally conceived, would have been good. And then a suit (*cough*AlexKurtzman*cough*) came in and said "uh no, we need to cast Jeri Ryan in this thing and make her some kind of space vigilante, adjust the story accordingly" and half of the story threads just kinda got left dangling, while Hugh's role was handed over to Seven.

That could very well be how it went down but I don't think Seven being in it is in-and-of-itself a problem at all.

Killing off the two interesting TNG side characters was pretty heavily gently caress You level dumb though

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Bloop posted:

That could very well be how it went down but I don't think Seven being in it is in-and-of-itself a problem at all.

Killing off the two interesting TNG side characters was pretty heavily gently caress You level dumb though

Of course not. What I meant was that it was probably a late addition once the season had already been mostly written-out.

Picard S1 feels like they had an entire tight season planned out, someone hosed with it, and they scrambled to make all the pieces fit together Somehow. And failed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

Picard S1 feels like they had an entire tight season planned out, someone hosed with it, and they scrambled to make all the pieces fit together Somehow. And failed.

Oh, the Discovery method

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Actual footage from Picard daily production meeting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUFY8Zw0Bag

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah Jeri Ryan and Patrick Stuart together could 100% work just the way they did it felt disjointed.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
picard had a handful of scenes that are some fo the best of any in the franchise.

now only if they had learned how to pace the material.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

shades of eternity posted:

picard had a handful of scenes that are some fo the best of any in the franchise.

now only if they had learned how to pace the material.

The Riker/Picard episode was great.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They introduced two of the most interesting characters in recent Trek history and proceeded to never mention them again after episode ... 3?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

They introduced two of the most interesting characters in recent Trek history and proceeded to never mention them again after episode ... 3?

I actually liked all of the characters minus Michelle Hurd's character (Michelle Hurd is still amazing though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I ultimately felt really bad for Hurd. She's a great actor and gave it her all but Raffi was just such a poorly written and uninteresting character that .. well, it is what it is.