Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Wheeee posted:

it's adorable that you're framing smg as the weirdo in this scenario

i mean, smg has always clearly identified as an advanced chatbot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

josh04 posted:

CineD didn't invent the subjectivity of art, you may have to aim a little higher to bring down this particular ediface

the funniest thing about understanding things like postmodernism and poststructuralism is realizing that it's assumptions are utterly uncontroversial in any discipline where the interpretation of words has immediate material consequences

no one has graduated as a legal expert without understanding this crap since the days of loving hammurabbi, and further, the process of determining meaning from abstract symbol is what thought itself is- philosophy, history, math, and science are fundamentally simply rules for doing this in a manner which will produce results with desirable specifications. not understanding it is something you have been carefully trained not to do, it is literally refusing to think.

that's fine if, like, you're tired and just want to shitpost. just shitpost and don't get worked up because you skimmed an effort(poo poo)post or someone thought your shitpost was wrong (don't worry they all are)

also i should add that virtually everyone who articulated post-theory was utterly complicit in the process of training you to not think about their ideas

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Aug 19, 2020

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

josh04 posted:

CineD didn't invent the subjectivity of art, you may have to aim a little higher to bring down this particular ediface

the exact type of post he was describing lol

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Erm.

Finally watching Doom Patrol season 2 and it’s not bad. Really suffers from a lack of Alan Tudyk though.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

started putting DS9 on in the background since i haven't seen it since i was a kid, and chief O'Brien is the only actual human being in starfleet

Serf
May 5, 2011

Wheeee posted:

started putting DS9 on in the background since i haven't seen it since i was a kid, and chief O'Brien is the only actual human being in starfleet

https://twitter.com/i/status/1168521685907230721
wish i could find a better source for this video, but o'brien is the best

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Serf posted:

literally everyone else is a q-level being engaging in an elaborate backdrop to mess with the only actual self-aware mortal in the universe

that he is the last person to take the idea of solipsism seriously is part of the joke

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

q pretending to not remember O’Brien from the enterprise and dismissing him as one of the ‘little people’ is a straight callout of the reality that Star Trek’s bullshit utopia remains a hierarchical class system

Serf
May 5, 2011

meaney also owns

quote:

Meaney remains politically engaged and is disappointed by younger actors’ lack of interest in bigger issues.

“It’s Thatcher’s fault,” says Meaney. “So much of Britain was destroyed in the ’80s. When we started on Deep Space Nine, Alexander Siddig, a British actor, came over and joined the cast and I asked him about Equity meetings. Because when I was in London we used to go to Equity meetings for the ferocious battles. On one side, there was Vanessa [Redgrave] and the WRP [Workers Revolutionary Party] faction and then the right-wing [faction] led by the appropriately named Marius Goring and Olivier. They were amazing political debates but they were really entertaining. So I couldn’t believe it when Sid said: ‘I don’t know; I’m not a member of Equity.’

“And still today most of the actors you meet in London are not members of Equity. If you’re not a member of a trade union, how can you have a political perspective on anything? And as a result they get away with murder in England. You can be asked to work 12 hours straight. It’s Dickensian.”

i would've loved to be there for the trots vs white supremacists debates

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Whichever goon said that Steve Carell cannot be a dramatic actor was absolutely correct.

I just rewatched Foxcatcher and it was more boring than I remember.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Wheeee posted:

There’s also Barclay. He is proof our people will endure.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Remember the episode where O'Brien gets locked in a psychic torture prison for 30 years and comes out a completely broken man only to learn he was really only imprisoned for like an hour and then he goes back to DS9 and has such severe PTSD that he literally tries to kill himself and the episode ends with them saying the trauma is so severe that he may never get back to normal, and then they never mention it again and by the next episode he's back to being a lovable curmudgeon.

Also the time when his wife got possessed by an evil demon and threatened to commit suicide if he didn't help the demon commit genocide.

What I'm trying to say is that it seemed like the writers really had it out for O'Brien because all he wanted to do was work a shift and go home to his loving family and instead they kept finding elaborate ways to torment him.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
there was a nineties outer limits episode with david hyde pierce that had the same basic concept except that david hyde pierce invented the machine that does it and accidentally zaps himself with it while theyre about to try it out on a convicted prisoner in lieu of a sentence since it seems more humanitarian

it ends with david hyde pierce losing his poo poo screaming that the machine is an abomination that needs to be destroyed

anyway i sure am glad we learned our lesson that nineties crime political theory was laughably horrifically wrong and that torturing people just makes them crazy and even less rehabilitated and doesnt even slightly work as a deterrent

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
we're int he middle of a voyager rewatch and i have always been deeply unfair to this show i'm thinking

jeri ryan and robert picardo are amazing actors and rejiggering the show around them was honestly the right call

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lol that they casted an actor named picardo

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Remember the episode where O'Brien gets locked in a psychic torture prison for 30 years and comes out a completely broken man only to learn he was really only imprisoned for like an hour and then he goes back to DS9 and has such severe PTSD that he literally tries to kill himself and the episode ends with them saying the trauma is so severe that he may never get back to normal, and then they never mention it again and by the next episode he's back to being a lovable curmudgeon.

Also the time when his wife got possessed by an evil demon and threatened to commit suicide if he didn't help the demon commit genocide.

What I'm trying to say is that it seemed like the writers really had it out for O'Brien because all he wanted to do was work a shift and go home to his loving family and instead they kept finding elaborate ways to torment him.

I think they got into a groove tormenting O’Brien because the rest of the cast were geniuses, immortal geniuses, god touched commanders, etc. Basically, they’re hard to relate to. But a dope who, for starters, almost destroyed his marriage by pressing his botanist wife into moving to a station on the brink of collapse with no plants, because it was the only way he could figure out to get a promotion? Yeah, no, I get him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zvahl posted:

we're int he middle of a voyager rewatch and i have always been deeply unfair to this show i'm thinking

jeri ryan and robert picardo are amazing actors and rejiggering the show around them was honestly the right call

I'm not gonna link it because I'm not gonna subject anyone else to a 40 minute video essay, but there was a very convincing one about how Voyager was good, actually, and that most of the criticisms against it were piddly nerd poo poo like "they couldn't possibly have had that many photon torpedoes" and "they lost too many shuttles with no way to replace them!"

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
yeah renegade cut has good takes on media in general and his video on rick berman's fuckery with star trek is a good way to get really mad if you like star trek

i'm mostly noticing jeri ryan this time rn because all the snide comments about her getting cast for her boobs seem particularly dismissive when she does all the drat emotional heavy lifting for seasons

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i sincerely believe tos voyager and enterprise are all underrated for exactly those reasons tng is never held to that pedant standard even though its worse than all of them when it comes to coherent continuity qs character alone is a bigger gently caress up in that regard than anything those three shows did

i blame ds9 personally since by doing continuity well it created unrealistic expectations for everyone else or at least it did before j j abrams decided to throw that all in the toilet for gratuitous explosions

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not gonna link it because I'm not gonna subject anyone else to a 40 minute video essay, but there was a very convincing one about how Voyager was good, actually, and that most of the criticisms against it were piddly nerd poo poo like "they couldn't possibly have had that many photon torpedoes" and "they lost too many shuttles with no way to replace them!"

The only real thing I know about Voyager is a video I watched years ago about an episode where the main characters turn into salamanders because of an evolution ray or some mumbo-jumbo. There was a behind the scenes clip where the producer talks about how it was a commentary on how evolution might not make us into super evolved masters of the universe in the future. The guy making the video was only concerned about how "evolution Ray's can't exist" and totally ignored that, as far as I can tell, for the point he wanted to make it was a pretty fine example? Like it's science fiction, it doesn't need to be rooted in fact, like who cares.

I have never seen the episode in question so maybe it is actually a bad episode but If so it's bad for reasons nobody talks about

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Me, an intellectual, watching a show where every other episode is about an all-powerful godlike being who can snap their fingers and turn Earth into a big donut: hmmm but you see an evolution ray cannot exist, i am very smart

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

mandatory lesbian posted:

The only real thing I know about Voyager is a video I watched years ago about an episode where the main characters turn into salamanders because of an evolution ray or some mumbo-jumbo. There was a behind the scenes clip where the producer talks about how it was a commentary on how evolution might not make us into super evolved masters of the universe in the future. The guy making the video was only concerned about how "evolution Ray's can't exist" and totally ignored that, as far as I can tell, for the point he wanted to make it was a pretty fine example? Like it's science fiction, it doesn't need to be rooted in fact, like who cares.

I have never seen the episode in question so maybe it is actually a bad episode but If so it's bad for reasons nobody talks about

yeah it's an absolute clown show of an episode that got a lot of negative attention even then because the premise is so memorable

but tng ended a season with a clip show and never gets any guff for it

coathat
May 21, 2007

Voyager had some good episodes but it was mostly boring and bad

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zvahl posted:

yeah it's an absolute clown show of an episode that got a lot of negative attention even then because the premise is so memorable

but tng ended a season with a clip show and never gets any guff for it

TNG also had an episode where the cast devolved into like spiders and lizards and stuff because of some wacky temporal anomaly or something involving Data's pregnant cat, but that one gets a pass because it's a surprisingly effective pseudo-horror episode where Picard and Data have to solve the problem before Picard devolves into a chipmunk or something, even though the premise itself is really silly.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Serf posted:

This was a fantastic episode. There was also a scene where Rom quotes from the Communist Manifesto to Quark.

I've been rewatching DS9 as well and I didn't realize how insufferable Worf is as a character. I haven't seen TNG in a while but I don't ever remember him being that bad.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This was a fantastic episode. There was also a scene where Rom quotes from the Communist Manifesto to Quark.

I've been rewatching DS9 as well and I didn't realize how insufferable Worf is as a character. I haven't seen TNG in a while but I don't ever remember him being that bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

vyelkin posted:

TNG also had an episode where the cast devolved into like spiders and lizards and stuff because of some wacky temporal anomaly or something involving Data's pregnant cat, but that one gets a pass because it's a surprisingly effective pseudo-horror episode where Picard and Data have to solve the problem before Picard devolves into a chipmunk or something, even though the premise itself is really silly.

Didn’t they kinda hint that Worf was at very least hunting and eating the other crew members? I’m guessing there was a whole lot of clearing the throat and looking the other way going on for a few weeks after they cleared that up.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

mysterious frankie posted:

Didn’t they kinda hint that Worf was at very least hunting and eating the other crew members? I’m guessing there was a whole lot of clearing the throat and looking the other way going on for a few weeks after they cleared that up.

the idea in that episode was that everyone was devolving which meant that worf became some horrible prowling beast because of course

riker became a caveman which was okay i guess but deanna was an amphibian and barclay was a spider so I don't think it got a third script pass

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Zvahl posted:

the idea in that episode was that everyone was devolving which meant that worf became some horrible prowling beast because of course

riker became a caveman which was okay i guess but deanna was an amphibian and barclay was a spider so I don't think it got a third script pass

Riker becoming a caveman was a lateral move for him. Watching the series again, I realized his main abilities were asking “I dunno... what do you think it means? and having Troi do the crew reviews for him while he hung out. Kinda clear why he kept turning down commissions; old dude would have been eaten alive if he wasn’t second in command to his bestie.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Riker becoming a caveman was a lateral move for him. Watching the series again, I realized his main abilities were asking “I dunno... what do you think it means? and having Troi do the crew reviews for him while he hung out. Kinda clear why he kept turning down commissions; old dude would have been eaten alive if he wasn’t second in command to his bestie.

imo one of the best parts of that episode is the beginning where the characters are starting to devolve but are still mostly trying to act like themselves, and what happens to Riker is that he just becomes really, really dumb and when asked anything by anyone just stares at them blankly for a full minute while he tries to figure out what the gently caress they're talking about

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

vyelkin posted:

imo one of the best parts of that episode is the beginning where the characters are starting to devolve but are still mostly trying to act like themselves, and what happens to Riker is that he just becomes really, really dumb and when asked anything by anyone just stares at them blankly for a full minute while he tries to figure out what the gently caress they're talking about

undetectable symptoms are a bitch

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Voyager wasn't good but the amount of vitriol it gets is stupid. A lot of people have this utter hatred for Janeway because she doesn't get the ship back even though that's the whole premise of the show.

Also the doctor gets her face melted off. But at the end everything's fine and no one has any trauma about turning into monsters and trying to kill each other.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The ds9 where worf goes to the pleasure planet and joins a fascist terror cell is an all-timer

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Action Jacktion posted:

Also the doctor gets her face melted off. But at the end everything's fine and no one has any trauma about turning into monsters and trying to kill each other.

I’m fairly certain Starfleet selected tng Enterprise crew based on their psyche screenings showing they possessed a superhuman ability to repress. That or they pump aerosolized benzos through the ship at all times.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

tng gets a pass because it had a few good actors and while the majority of episodes were bad the good ones were really good; voyager at its best reached the dizzying heights of 'tolerable'

also tng was a product of the 80s and just plays everything straight, self-awareness is poison to star trek

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Action Jacktion posted:

awwkwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV9lzsV_k6M

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
q turning beverly into an irish setter was the best joke in all of star trek

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

vyelkin posted:

The writers made 'O'Brien Must Suffer' a motto iirc, because as said he just sold it so well, though to be fair in a lot of cases Bashir suffered with him

I love the bit where due to Shenanigans (and Nana Visitor's irl pregnancy... from Alexander Siddig) Kira is pregnant with O'Brien's baby and Keiko encourages them to have some time off together in a cottage which Kira and O'Brien look to each other with increasing horror as they describe how secluded and romantic it is

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

trekkies all obsessed with this fantastic better world thinking they'd totally be picard or spock when in reality they'd be o'brien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i want to be a useless ensign who dies because an lcars blows up