Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Preliminary WA primary election results are up:
https://results.vote.wa.gov/results/20200804/default.htm

No major upsets with about a quarter of the submitted ballots left to be counted and about a third of those in King (roughly matching the current results skew, so I wouldn't expect major movement on the statewide races). Some other interesting results:
  • It looks like Kim Wyman has the edge for Secretary of State, which is reallllll unfortunate given how Secretary of State is about to become an incredibly prominent job in the face of Trump's obvious desire to invalidate or ignore the election and how Wyman doesn't want to take a stand against that.
  • Inslee cruising to win an absolute majority (~52% currently), and there isn't even Donald Trump on the ballot to vote against this time.
  • MORE IMPORTANTLY, Tim Eyman came third of the Rs. I think I speak for all of Washington when I say: gently caress off, Tim. No one likes you.
  • Pramila launched her latest victim into the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kirsten Harris Talley is super ahead of Chukundi right now. Chukundi isn't bad but its looking like a cinch for KHT.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm still holding out faint hope for Sherae to pull of a Kshama-style miracle come from behind win with the day-of ballots that haven't been counted yet since they're only down by 8,000 votes despite the nearly 2-1 advantage Chopp has. But even failing that, I hope this is enough to wake him up that his district wants a much, much more progressive agenda and for him to be more aggressive about pushing it in Olympia.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I am hoping Jason Call manages to come in second in Congressional District WA-2 so Rick Larson will have to go up against a progressive in the general. Right now Call is in third place in a top 2 primary, but only behind second place by less than 2% with only 50% reporting.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1291067971410878466?s=20

You don't say :magemage:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

logger posted:

I am hoping Jason Call manages to come in second in Congressional District WA-2 so Rick Larson will have to go up against a progressive in the general. Right now Call is in third place in a top 2 primary, but only behind second place by less than 2% with only 50% reporting.

Same. We voted last week (in theory; my tracking status and returned date are still blank, even though I put both of our ballots in an official dropbox), and Jason Call was the person I was most looking forward to voting for. I really want to replace our corporate poo poo-Dem with somebody who actually wants to fix things.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ted Wheeler wants you to know that BLM was a success, you should all go home, and you're a terrorist and helping Donald Trump if you're still protesting the PPB I guess
https://twitter.com/alex_zee/status/1291475069009502208

https://twitter.com/alex_zee/status/1291476937097932801?s=20

https://twitter.com/alex_zee/status/1291479979713163264

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

The Oldest Man posted:

• It looks like Kim Wyman has the edge for Secretary of State, which is reallllll unfortunate given how Secretary of State is about to become an incredibly prominent job in the face of Trump's obvious desire to invalidate or ignore the election and how Wyman doesn't want to take a stand against that.

I still think there’s potential for an upset there. Wyman’s got name recognition and being the incumbent going for her, but by the time the general rolls around, Tarleton could close the gap.

At a non-state wide level, I’m in the 36th legislative district and I’m super happy to see Liz Berry in the lead so far. I got a call from her a few weeks ago and I was kind of a huge dork. I was like “This is the Liz Berry? :aaaaa:“ and then she cracked up that I actually knew who she was. It was pretty cool, it’s the first time I’ve ever gotten a call from a candidate running for office. Talked with her a little bit about the endorsement from Pramila Jayapal, told her she had my vote, and that was that.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm still holding out faint hope for Sherae to pull of a Kshama-style miracle come from behind win with the day-of ballots that haven't been counted yet since they're only down by 8,000 votes despite the nearly 2-1 advantage Chopp has. But even failing that, I hope this is enough to wake him up that his district wants a much, much more progressive agenda and for him to be more aggressive about pushing it in Olympia.

Cutting the gaps would be nice, but it is just the primary. The big push is going to be fighting for the votes in the general.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Seattle City Council quietly making excuses and walking back their cuts from last week today:

https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1292905779998015489
https://twitter.com/ericacbarnett/status/1292906379296948224

This is just *chef's kiss*
https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1292900195173167105

The hits continue. Now all the budget amendments will get a nice helping of SPD propaganda about slowed 911 response; thanks Pedersen and the cowards that abstained from this.

https://twitter.com/ericacbarnett/status/1292909087940804612

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 10, 2020

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

word going round that chief best is resigning lol, i’m sure we’ll get a tearful press conference

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

word going round that chief best is resigning lol, i’m sure we’ll get a teargassed press conference

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Every social media site seems to be getting overrun with “leftist white Seattle CANCELLED a black woman” and I think I’m going to have an aneurism.

Hobospider
Oct 17, 2002

Well this is just gross. The SPOG is a grift train.

EDIT: This is a fine time to remind folks that most SPD don't live in Seattle and commute from outlying areas. I see their (very expensive) SUVs parked by the East Precinct.

https://twitter.com/DBeekman/status/1292869131742482432?s=20

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I wouldn't be surprised if literally every north precinct officer lived in Snohomish county.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
gently caress.

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

George posted:

gently caress.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

George posted:

gently caress.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

George posted:

gently caress.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

laws need to be enacted requiring officers to live in the communities they police.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

laws need to be enacted requiring officers to live in the communities they police.

This absolutely needs to happen.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I may be misremembering, but I think there was a vote on the Seattle city council some years ago to increase police pay to address this in such a way that Seattle police could afford to live in Seattle. But they hosed it up and just increased pay across the board so the police that hate the city and already live outside it just made more money.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Edit: wrong thread

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cactrot posted:

I may be misremembering, but I think there was a vote on the Seattle city council some years ago to increase police pay to address this in such a way that Seattle police could afford to live in Seattle. But they hosed it up and just increased pay across the board so the police that hate the city and already live outside it just made more money.

Stop loving incentivizing police to do things that are baseline requirements of the job with more money that they haven't earned.

No incentives to live in the places where they are expected to keep the peace. That's a baseline requirement.
No incentives to wear a body cam. That's a baseline requirement.
No incentives to take de-escalation or crisis intervention training. That's a baseline requirement.

Any incentive is easily co-opted or cheated to get the reward without really delivering on the promises.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

I agree as long as a second law is passed requiring that all police must live in the same community, and only police can live there, and they can only police themselves.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Crumbskull posted:

I agree as long as a second law is passed requiring that all police must live in the same community, and only police can live there, and they can only police themselves.

Vashon Island?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

Vashon Island?

Mercer would be better.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

The Oldest Man posted:

Stop loving incentivizing police to do things that are baseline requirements of the job with more money that they haven't earned.

No incentives to live in the places where they are expected to keep the peace. That's a baseline requirement.
No incentives to wear a body cam. That's a baseline requirement.
No incentives to take de-escalation or crisis intervention training. That's a baseline requirement.

Any incentive is easily co-opted or cheated to get the reward without really delivering on the promises.

The problem is when those things are all considered "working conditions" and are subject to collective bargaining, the police union will demand higher pay in exchange for any of those. In general I am a big union guy, and weakening collective bargaining for ANY public employees is a scary pandora's box to start to open, but labor relations with police obviously need to change in a huge way. A bunch of this accountability stuff should not be subject to bargaining.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

The Oldest Man posted:

Vashon Island?

No, I specifically want to be able to speed on Old Mill without having to call someone uptown to make sure the squad car is parked there.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Mercer would be better.

How would we know the difference?

Folks,

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

gohuskies posted:

The problem is when those things are all considered "working conditions" and are subject to collective bargaining, the police union will demand higher pay in exchange for any of those. In general I am a big union guy, and weakening collective bargaining for ANY public employees is a scary pandora's box to start to open, but labor relations with police obviously need to change in a huge way. A bunch of this accountability stuff should not be subject to bargaining.

Constitutional amendment banning cop unions and collective bargaining for cops. This is not a joke; it's them or us.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Oldest Man posted:

Constitutional amendment banning cop unions and collective bargaining for cops. This is not a joke; it's them or us.

You can simply ban benefits that allow the law to apply differently to them over normal people and turn them into normal unions again.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Agreed. The problem isn't that cops have unions, it's that cops and their unions are allowed to do illegal poo poo. They get away with it because of the political cost of going against the cops. Well that and they're dangerous gangs that threaten the family members of elected officials. Hopefully the political calculus has finally changed so that having the cop union's support is a detriment in most American cities. Or at least Portland.

It'd be nice if we had a more inspiring mayoral candidate than Sarah Iannarone.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

You can simply ban benefits that allow the law to apply differently to them over normal people and turn them into normal unions again.

This was Sunday night in retaliation for a protest in front of their union. This is both in defense of and the purpose of their unionization.

https://twitter.com/spekulation/status/1295946737069068288

No cop unions. They're a malignant political force and are incompatible with a just form of public safety.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm not usually in favor of busting unions, but when I am, it's police unions.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I don't think you can successfully abolish police unions and increase unionization throughout the country. It will be used as an cudgel to attack teachers, nurses, and other essential employees. The dismantling of unions in this country is probably the single biggest contributor to economic inequality which in turn is a huge driver of conservative policy. I believe widespread unionization is key to building a worthwhile world on the bones of the poo poo pile we have. Defunding, stripping qualified immunity, and other tactics seem the less fraught paths to addressing racist and violent policing.

Plus it's not like getting rid of their unions is going to majorly change the cops street gang attitude.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't think you can successfully abolish police unions and increase unionization throughout the country. It will be used as an cudgel to attack teachers, nurses, and other essential employees. The dismantling of unions in this country is probably the single biggest contributor to economic inequality which in turn is a huge driver of conservative policy. I believe widespread unionization is key to building a worthwhile world on the bones of the poo poo pile we have. Defunding, stripping qualified immunity, and other tactics seem the less fraught paths to addressing racist and violent policing.

Plus it's not like getting rid of their unions is going to majorly change the cops street gang attitude.

I'm not going to argue with you about the risk to public sector unions in general or your position about the need for widespread unionization to better society. I would quibble a bit with the methods and the notion that dismantling unions is the biggest contributor to economic inequality in America (it's racism, which excluded many from unions to begin with), but agree on the reasons and desired goals so that's not really worth debating to me.

However, I think you're underestimating the raw malevolence emanating from our nation's police unions in specific and the way that they have poisoned local and national politics. We've literally got the head of the Seattle police union propagandizing the entire country with Donald Trump's talking points on Fox News day after day.

Every union is a political entity in addition to directly driving collective bargaining. In the cases of unions for teachers, nurses, etc., that political entity is generally liberal with some parochial issue-specific stuff thrown in. In the case of police unions, that political entity is fascist. I don't see how that's ever going to be compatible with just public safety or frankly with our democratic institutions period. VA police are already using their power to directly derail legislative action against them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Oldest Man posted:

This was Sunday night in retaliation for a protest in front of their union. This is both in defense of and the purpose of their unionization.

https://twitter.com/spekulation/status/1295946737069068288

No cop unions. They're a malignant political force and are incompatible with a just form of public safety.

This doesn’t counter anything I’ve suggested. Take away things like qualified immunity and anything in their contract that gives them special legal rights and this poo poo ends.

You disband the Union, you gently caress over every government employee union. This is no different than calling for felons not to have the right to vote.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Police unions are more guilds than anything, and shouldn't be considered part of the labor movement. Unions generally won't defend a member if they kill someone on the job.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

This doesn’t counter anything I’ve suggested. Take away things like qualified immunity and anything in their contract that gives them special legal rights and this poo poo ends.

You disband the Union, you gently caress over every government employee union. This is no different than calling for felons not to have the right to vote.

There's nothing in their CBA that gives them special legal rights (anymore than the city having to abide by any other union contract constitutes a special legal right) and qualified immunity is a judicial doctrine, not an outcome of police union bargaining. Their union is malignant because it is composed of and represents the will of cops, not because of some special legal sauce. What you seem to be suggesting is that the city negotiate a more favorable contract with them that removes some of their privileges. What I'm suggesting is that you can't negotiate in good faith with a fascist organization.

Let me put it a slightly different way: what specifically would you take away from their contract that you think would have changed the outcome of those 10 or so bike cops ramming and beating that guy on the pavement with their fists? And why would you engage in negotiations on that point with an organization whose goal is to permit and defend the brutalization of the community?

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm not going to argue with you about the risk to public sector unions in general or your position about the need for widespread unionization to better society. I would quibble a bit with the methods and the notion that dismantling unions is the biggest contributor to economic inequality in America (it's racism, which excluded many from unions to begin with), but agree on the reasons and desired goals so that's not really worth debating to me.

However, I think you're underestimating the raw malevolence emanating from our nation's police unions in specific and the way that they have poisoned local and national politics. We've literally got the head of the Seattle police union propagandizing the entire country with Donald Trump's talking points on Fox News day after day.

Every union is a political entity in addition to directly driving collective bargaining. In the cases of unions for teachers, nurses, etc., that political entity is generally liberal with some parochial issue-specific stuff thrown in. In the case of police unions, that political entity is fascist. I don't see how that's ever going to be compatible with just public safety or frankly with our democratic institutions period. VA police are already using their power to directly derail legislative action against them.

I really appreciate this post. You illustrate your position very well. I fully agree that that if anything surpasses the decline of unions as a driver of inequality it's racism used to pit working class people against one another.

Our difference of opinion seems to be where the fascist attribute of policing lies. I think if you got rid of their unions, collective bargaining rights, etc you would still have associations without those powers that contributed to the fascist rhetoric of our country. That's because the police culture we have encourages and empowers fascists. The unions support these positions but that's because of the members not any innate political persuasion of the unions. I suspect that would have a different outlet in a union's absence.

I also like that unions make being a cop a good paying job. Obviously we should have far fewer police and overtime abuses need to be reigned in dramatically but cops tend to resort to outright corruption and crime when not well compensated.