Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mobby_6kl posted:

I found my 3d Extreme but the pots were all hosed up as were all the rubber parts. I tried opening and cleaning it but it still sits disassembled lol. Hilariously it looks like they still sell exactly the same loving model.

Yeah I had to laugh when I realized they're still selling the exact same stick I used to do bombing runs in Battlefield 2 with :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Elendil004 posted:

I feel like im missing a feedback loop with the throttle. Is there a way to like, see what you're calling for? My physical throttle control obviously just goes 0 to 100% but there's no indication on the HUD that I can tell for what you're set at. I end up over-throttling and under throttling and just kind of guessing a middle ground.

What plane?

On a 172 you adjust the throttle to get a target RPM which is displayed on the top left of the right screen.

Other planes will all be different.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

in a plane like the 152 if you can't get the trim to level the plane without going over or above you can use throttle to compensate, the throttle is much more precise than the trim buttons in this game. reduce throttle a tiny bit to lower your VS, increase throttle to raise it and give it time to reach an equilibrium before you adjust it again

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm having real strife figuring out how to trim appropriately in a 152. In the training/tutorial mission where it tells me to play with the trim, it's just... it seems so sluggish to respond, and either I don't tap the joystick button enough to trim or I accidentally do it too long and it's a huge swerve, that whenever I try to trim out I end up porpoising up and down until I frantically start having to use the stick again to not crash or stall. I still haven't been able to successfully trim out, and I'm starting from pretty gentle conditions- maybe up or down a few degrees, I barely need any pressure on the stick to hold to straight and level. But I would love to be able to take one sweaty hand off the stick to not just slowly floomp into the desert, the trim controls are just... not right for me and I can't figure out why.

Basically, this is all the fault of joysticks not having force feedback

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bell_ posted:

I had forgotten that name until you mentioned it. That was my home when I played Flight Simulator on my TRS-80!

It's odd that, as much as I played that game I'd never get as hooked on flight simulators as they came out afterwards, all the way up until now. I guess that dream died. Playing FS2020, I get a stupified sense of wonder I didn't even get from the the original, even with all the imagination my ten-year old self could muster.

I tooled around a bit with flight sims when I was a kid but having to screw around with trim and being pretty much unable to fly straight and level was what killed it for me. Even now it's a giant pain in the rear end and I'm always either rising or sinking slowly no matter what trim and throttle settings I use. Maybe I'll get the hang of it though?

I did a loop around Edinburgh and was too busy looking at instruments to really look out the window so I launched the camera drone instead and ... eehhhh. Unless they add photogrammetry for more stuff on the British Isles at some point it's not really all that great. It's not Edinburgh, it's a generic blocky autogenerated city that happens to have Edinburgh's topology and general street layout.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Im having a different issue with trim, I have legitimately moved it on my joystick to what I can best perceive as a nanometer and its like I just fuckin grabbed the trim and threw it. I once slid my finger across my joystick control for trim while looking at the instrument panel and I thought my game bugged out because the attitude switch from level flight to FULL GROUND was immediate and sorta comical

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Fellatio del Toro posted:

why did they build a whole game around streaming high def geospatial data but the world map is unusable if you zoom in past like the state level

I think they really misjudged who was gonna be playing this game

they built it all around the simmers instead of the casual global sightseers

like I sent some family members some screenshots of our home town and they were so impressed that they want to start playing, but there's no way they would be able to get to grips with it currently

maybe its popularity means they'll patch in some reeeeally easy grandma mode features and make it easier to just visit places

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fuf posted:

I think they really misjudged who was gonna be playing this game

like I sent some family members some screenshots of our home town and they were so impressed that they want to start playing, but there's no way they would be able to get to grips with it currently

maybe its popularity means they'll patch in some reeeeally easy grandma mode features and make it easier to just visit places

Add the camera drone as a plane tbh

seiferguy posted:

Will the game automatically recognize a 360 controller and assign buttons to it?

Yes BUT there's no working rudder right now which is absolute bullshit.

Rudder is bound to the triggers but the triggers are treated as on/off despite being capable of varying degrees of input. So however lightly you press a trigger the sim stamps full force on the pedal and the plane jerks violently to the side.

It's usable for ground steering though since afaik you have to max the rudder to steer on the ground anyway.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slumpy posted:

Im having a different issue with trim, I have legitimately moved it on my joystick to what I can best perceive as a nanometer and its like I just fuckin grabbed the trim and threw it. I once slid my finger across my joystick control for trim while looking at the instrument panel and I thought my game bugged out because the attitude switch from level flight to FULL GROUND was immediate and sorta comical

If it's on a wheel, reduce the sensitivity by a lot. The default settings on the T16000m makes it feel like I slam down on the trim. Way too sensitive.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

the milk machine posted:

try turning the wheel with the mouse until it's close, then add/subtract small amounts with the joystick/controller. or, if you pop into external camera mode, there will be a little box on the lower right showing your trim amount. the plane takes time to respond so it's easy to think "huh that didn't do anything" while you're adding enough trim to send you straight up

Yeah not being able to have any feedback because I don't particularly like cranking my view to stare down at my knees and squinting at that tiny trim indicator on the 152 while I'm trying to level out is really, really complicating things. I've been resisting trying to fly from the external camera, but hoo boy it's hard not to when I can get so much more information in a reasonable format by doing so :(

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

fuf posted:

The best they could do for that demographic is to release an in-browser bing maps flight sim, similar to the Google Earth flight sim. Let people soak in the scenery a bit and then get some people interested in the proper sim.

Casual people won't be spending $70 just to look at their house.

March of the Pigs
Sep 25, 2005
the pigs have won tonight

Elendil004 posted:

I feel like im missing a feedback loop with the throttle. Is there a way to like, see what you're calling for? My physical throttle control obviously just goes 0 to 100% but there's no indication on the HUD that I can tell for what you're set at. I end up over-throttling and under throttling and just kind of guessing a middle ground.

On the 172/152 it's going to be rpm gauge. For bigger piston engines it will be manifold pressure. TBM I think is torque %? I don't fly turboprops, just from what I've seen so far. Jets will most likely be your N1 % gauge.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

March of the Pigs posted:

On the 172/152 it's going to be rpm gauge. For bigger piston engines it will be manifold pressure. TBM I think is torque %? I don't fly turboprops, just from what I've seen so far. Jets will most likely be your N1 % gauge.

To note: I'm not sure if the poster knows but on the steam gauges, RPM is usually on the right hand side, not in the main 6pack instrument panel. On GPS units, it'll show up on the top right of the main screen

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah not being able to have any feedback because I don't particularly like cranking my view to stare down at my knees and squinting at that tiny trim indicator on the 152 while I'm trying to level out is really, really complicating things. I've been resisting trying to fly from the external camera, but hoo boy it's hard not to when I can get so much more information in a reasonable format by doing so :(

can't you see the attitude indicator and/or altimeter and/or the thing that tells you vertical airspeed? they're all really close to the trim wheel and will tell you if the plane is going up or down.

i'm not a real pilot but this works for me: get enough altitude you won't immediately crash, fly level, turn trim wheel slowly until plane starts to slowly go up or down, then ease off the stick and add trim in the direction you eased off. from there i just need the occasional click or two up or down using the mapped buttons

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

March of the Pigs posted:

TBM does have a torque gauge and you do have to babysit it a little bit, it's extremely easy to go over during your climb out. Don't know how much/at what point the Sim actually punishes you for it, though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ethanol posted:

yeah i was noticing in the airbus i could not get trim to stop adjuisting itself and despite turning off AP and auto thrust the auto thrust kept turning back on

That's how an Airbus flies in normal law. It will trim to keep the plane flying to where you pointed the stick (you don't have to hold pressure). It will also try to enforce the flight envelope and not let you stall, overspeed, etc

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My t.flight hotas x is only sort of recognized by this game (it thinks it is a ps3 version?) and doesn’t assign any buttons or control inputs. Is there any way to import settings for this because I am not doing this poo poo manually!

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

So that Orbx London pack is apparently a bit poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyZw39ZiX8

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is there some kind of MSF2020 reference sheet I can keep open on my other screen for my Warthog? Last time it saw extensive use was back when I binged Elite: Dangerous, and also this ain't a spaceship.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

beer_war posted:

I had been looking at that last night and wondering if it might be worth it. Thank you for the heads up.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

beer_war posted:

Microsoft could sue them! OrbX is trying to sell the FSX default scenery as their own for MSFS20.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Icon A5 had a throttle setting indicator on the RPM gauge in the external view HUD. That sounds like it varies from plane to plane.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

beer_war posted:

Holy poo poo they actually ripped out the good looking default stuff and replaced it with 20 year old garbage

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't at all mind buying scenery packs that fix up the landmark buildings that are not in the sim, but I also expect the quality of said buildings to match those of the planes Microsoft is giving us. Like, they need to look pretty loving detailed.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

priznat posted:

My t.flight hotas x is only sort of recognized by this game (it thinks it is a ps3 version?) and doesn’t assign any buttons or control inputs. Is there any way to import settings for this because I am not doing this poo poo manually!

Make sure the toggle on the far side of the joystick is not set to "PS3" mode. I've got the same stick and it's recognized perfectly with a pretty sensible default layout.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
so its not just me and rudder controls are complete nonsense on a xbox controller right? they seem to be all or nothing?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
what's the key for time compression? Or the name of the command in the controls menu...

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there somewhere I can download a user made profile for a switch pro controller? I just want to fly some planes, not spend an hour trying to figure out the clunky as poo poo control mapping system.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

beer_war posted:

lol now that flight simulator ships with decent scenery this companies grift is up

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Brownie posted:

Make sure the toggle on the far side of the joystick is not set to "PS3" mode. I've got the same stick and it's recognized perfectly with a pretty sensible default layout.

Ohhhh maybe that is it, I will check it, thanks!

Been forever since I’ve used it and I think kids may have been monkeying with it so it would definitely be possible.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've been "playing" the game for 25 hours now, I still have yet to see the main menu. Ya think I can still refund on Steam? :suicide:

Merv Burger posted:

No? That doesn't match my experience with it at all, and I had it and the task manager open all day yesterday to monitor.

v:confused:v

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Black Griffon posted:

Is there some kind of MSF2020 reference sheet I can keep open on my other screen for my Warthog? Last time it saw extensive use was back when I binged Elite: Dangerous, and also this ain't a spaceship.

Would also like this a ton even if i have to fill out myself :)

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
In the second training mission, the instructor tells you to set you plane to a certain RPM, but I could not for the life of me find an RPM meter in the plane, so I had to switch to the external view which has the RPMs. Am I just blind or do they want you to find RPMs by feel? It’s whatever default plane the tutorial is in.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/Obstacle_2/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

V for Vegans posted:

In the second training mission, the instructor tells you to set you plane to a certain RPM, but I could not for the life of me find an RPM meter in the plane, so I had to switch to the external view which has the RPMs. Am I just blind or do they want you to find RPMs by feel? It’s whatever default plane the tutorial is in.

I had the same issue! Would love an answer. I just had to keep guessing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't have a new hotas yet, because Amazon, but I've goofed around with my xbone controller. I've already crashed into my own house. I want to crash into the groverhaus, but I don't think anyone is going to doxx the location, so I'll just imagine.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Disappointing Pie posted:

I had the same issue! Would love an answer. I just had to keep guessing.

To the right of the main instruments.

To clarify, it's right above the yolk of the co-pilot. It's not on the pilots side instrument cluster.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 19, 2020

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Sagebrush posted:

I had this bug too. Go into your data folder -- where all the stuff is downloading to, not the EXE install folder -- and delete the .fspatch files.

This worked for me, though my .fspatch files were downloading to my EXE install folder location in my case. After I deleted them I re-downloaded have the game and it worked. Having to spend ~10 hours downloading, redownloading, and deleting files to get a game to run is trash, but whatever.

I have never played a flight sim before. So, of course, I immediately jump in a Savage Cub or whatever without doing any tutorials whatsoever and proceed to barrel roll or flip into the ground a couple of times after takeoff before I finally manage to control the aircraft well enough to navigate to my house! I was able to use roads and creeks I recognized from IRL to find my way there, and then I was able to crash my plane in my house's general proximity. This makes me so happy.

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 20, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
When the ATC says to enter the traffic pattern from the left, they mean a left-handed pattern, meaning on my downwind leg the runway will be on the left? Not that it really matters but I'd like to do it right.

I was in a pattern for landing, got my clearance to land, and was coming in only to find that there was an AI aircraft sitting on the end of the runway ready for takeoff. Sure, the right procedure is to abort and go around, but I don't need that little bit at the beginning of the runway anyway so I just landed right in front of him. I checked the ATC log and yeah I was on the right runway so come on, AI ATC! Bad enough you just say CHSST instead of making words but at least don't try to full-duplex the runways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Haha, as soon as I saw the map I knew where this was going.