Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
This is looking to be another slaughter.

https://twitter.com/Jasamsdestiny/status/1295948605136789510?s=20

https://twitter.com/CAFireScanner/status/1295939505493442560?s=20

https://twitter.com/CAFireScanner/status/1295948910318428160?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ratbert90 posted:

It’s cheaper LA without the food or culture of LA.

There's still culture in LA? I thought gentrification had put a stop to that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I think this one was a lightning strike, not PG&E

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Is this it. Is this the post-apocalyptic hellscape

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

adoration for none posted:

Is this it. Is this the post-apocalyptic hellscape

Yes, east coast gets hurricanes, we get fires that destroy our forests

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Rakes at the ready

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was totally going to do some raking this spring but Covid hosed up those plans, this is probably all my fault.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's currently 87° in SLO and smoke is coming in through all the poorly sealed doors and windows :suicide:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Vacaville is starting to burn.

https://twitter.com/CAFireScanner/status/1296014170077327361?s=20

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Are we about to see mass evictions come the first? I know a couple of people who won't make rent since the checks stopped.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well if you think about it, a mass evacuation because of a fire is a kind of mass eviction...

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The legislature is working on a couple of bills to extend a payment moratorium out to April 2021. Dunno if they'll actually pass but there's a lot of pressure on them to do something soon. Shoving tens of thousands out onto the streets in the middle of a pandemic and an intense heatwave is a recipe for massive civil unrest and they know it.

Of course, this is really just kicking the can down the road because you still owe the back rent if you can't pay, so most of these people would ultimately get evicted next spring and have a giant debt load following them around that would prevent them from getting other housing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

SF Chronicle has a pretty good fire map https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/california-fire-map/

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

woke up to this and immediately started shitposting on discord and watching anime clips with you say run dubbed over them and 7 hour reviews of death stranding

goin down with this ship

(I'm on the other side of the freeway from this so I'm probably fine, but lol hellworld)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

woke up to this and immediately started shitposting on discord and watching anime clips with you say run dubbed over them and 7 hour reviews of death stranding

goin down with this ship

(I'm on the other side of the freeway from this so I'm probably fine, but lol hellworld)

Hasn't it already begun to jump over 505? Unless you mean 80. But at 0% contained and firefighters stretched thin, I'd start at least packing some stuff up just in casr

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

goin down with this ship

uhhhh I'm seeing fire blobs on the SF Chron map across 80?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hasn't it already begun to jump over 505? Unless you mean 80. But at 0% contained and firefighters stretched thin, I'd start at least packing some stuff up just in casr

I mean the 80, and I already did my packing. The nice thing about being a poor nerd is almost everything you own is digital these days, so as long as the computer is with me I'm fine. I already keep all of my medicines in a bag just for the sake of more easily keeping them together so I'm pretty much constantly prepacked.

I'm pretty much on exactly the other side of town, and the evacuation center is actually between me and the fires, so I'm just keeping an eye on the news about whether they're evacuating the evacuation center or if the fire swings wide.

Also if they have to evacuate those centers then that means vacaville is pretty much entirely burnt down, the ice rink is right next to I-80 and downtown is closer to the fire than it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The capacity of shelters will be severly less due to social distancing requirements.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

The area they've issued orders for is way out in the outskirts, maybe a few hundred people total.

One of my friend's ex girlfriend's parents built a house out there in english hills a few years ago. Her dad was a firefighter, which is some real hellworld. Feel bad for that guy.

The next area to be evacuated would be browns valley, and if that's evacuated that's a LOT more people, that's the relatively new "wealthy" area of an already fairly wealthy town.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
We should have raked the forests better. :smith:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It's our fault for not voting for trump. Had we voted for trump God wouldn't have set the state on fire

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It's our fault for not voting for trump. Had we voted for trump God wouldn't have set the state on fire

it's true

and lmao that fire map, there are some other fires that seem to have sprung out of nowhere on the other side of town, drat

we really should have raked better

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

it's true

and lmao that fire map, there are some other fires that seem to have sprung out of nowhere on the other side of town, drat

we really should have raked better

Yeah exploding things plus heavy winds cause poo poo to travel catch.

In 2017
I found a smoldering piece of bark about 2 ft large outside my hotel room that must have traveled loving miles. Had the grass been browner it woulda caught fire to poo poo when it landed.

(Lost my house in the '17 fire)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Big fires down south on the Peninsula, looks like my friend's dad's place might be under evacuation in Bonny Doon. It doesn't look like it's heading north towards Half Moon Bay/San Mateo area, but the day is young.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

They haven't updated any evacuation warnings yet for my area, seems like this is the time period where everyone is holding their breath to see what happens in the next hour or so.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

I was evacuated 2 years ago, the fire ended up about 100 yards from our place, smelled for weeks. Thankfully this year they brought the goats out early to eat up the surrounding brush on the hills.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thanks for reallocating all that money from FEMA last week, El Presidente!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got a nice layer of ash all over my yard this morning in Roseville from the Grass Valley fire.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

^^^ I just noticed there's a dusting of ash on my balcony railings presumably from the same fire as I'm also in Roseville. Woo-hoo.

FilthyImp posted:

All I've heard is that Austin is like a bit of Portland/LA in the hellzone of Texas... which is like "great job escaping the LA to just go back to worse-LA"

I lived in Austin for three years before moving to California. I listened to talk radio occasionally on my commute and a thing that stuck with me was the shock jock declaring extremely angrily that Austin was becoming "The San Francisco of the South".

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Looks like winds are supposed to start picking up this afternoon north bay, going from the ~5-10mph we've had to 10-15+mph.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

LtStorm posted:

the shock jock declaring extremely angrily that Austin was becoming "The San Francisco of the South".

what the gently caress

Texas is NOT the South

e: upon further research it appears that basically every resource disagrees with me

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 19, 2020

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

slicing up eyeballs posted:

what the gently caress

Texas is NOT the South

e: upon further research it appears that basically every resource disagrees with me

Oh, I'm from Mississippi originally and I agree with you; Texas is not part of the South and anyone claiming that is wrong. I will die on this hill like Davey Crockett died in that podunk fort.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ah the orange hue

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Texas may not technically be the South, but Texas absolutely pals around with Southern States

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Texan here, can confirm Austin sucks and it’s largely to do with how desperately they want Austin and the surrounding hill country to be California 2.0.

If you want food and culture you have to go to the ugly cities like Houston.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Eye of Sauron

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

ah the orange hue

Yeah, getting that in San Francisco even now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

ah the orange hue

Summer has finally arrived.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

slicing up eyeballs posted:

what the gently caress

Texas is NOT the South

East Texas is absolutely the south. West Texas and the Panhandle are the Southwest. South Texas is Mexico.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Texas was in the confederacy :heritage: