Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cda

by Hand Knit

The DPRK posted:

whats the skinny on infinite jest? good book? i get the impressions its difficult and pretentious and overly sentimental, which are all things i enjoy

The good bits are really good and there are enough of them to make it worth reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

The DPRK posted:

whats the skinny on infinite jest? good book? i get the impressions its difficult and pretentious and overly sentimental, which are all things i enjoy

what's difficult about it is the length, really. it's definitely kind of pretentious. the sentimentality is very much a rejection of ironic detachment. the text makes you just kind of sit with these bad feelings and acknowledge them.

one thing I like about it (although this is a lot of why people think it's pretentious) is that the plot mirrors the structure of the book and the difficulties in reading it. use two bookmarks, one for the main text and one for the endnotes.

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

more falafel please

forums poster

the good thing about reading infinite jest in a pandemic is that you don't have to feel self-conscious reading it in public

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

beer pal

finding an even bigger book to put infinite jest in to read it in public

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

The DPRK

i'm going to read infinite jest

beer pal

u ever just stop & think sometimes like drat... hteres so many books

Mummy Napkin

beer pal posted:

yep I get overwhelmed and it's why I can't read ebooks because I'll have a bajillion started and never finish them

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

Whenever I venture into my study :negative:

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

yes. I would say this is in my tiop 20 thoughts that i have most frequently

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

beer pal posted:

and the thought usually ends with something like 'and I must read them all'.

ulvir

I'm reading strange hotel atm and its really good. she has a real phenomenological way of describing her being which is really intriguing, and the story is both unsettling and deeply drawing at the same time

beer pal

blindness was really good. i liked the writing style, sometimes i would go several pages without realizing it was all without a paragraph break. the dialogue all separated only by a capital letter after a comma, the whole book felt very fast paced

now im reading don quixote, often called the infinite jest of the early 17th century

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

often called the infinite jest of the early 17th century

Kidding's me? :thunk:

nut

i haven't come closer to ever finishing don quixote but it owns and I dunno anything about Infinite Jest, but I reflexively am offended by the comparison

beer pal

its fun to joke around :evilbuddy:

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

its fun to joke around :evilbuddy:

Jesting, infinitely.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Jesting, infinitely.

BYOB: Jesting, infinitely

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

ulvir

beer pal posted:

blindness was really good. i liked the writing style, sometimes i would go several pages without realizing it was all without a paragraph break. the dialogue all separated only by a capital letter after a comma, the whole book felt very fast paced

now im reading don quixote, often called the infinite jest of the early 17th century

saramago is great, you should also read Cain and The year of the death of ricardo reis

beer pal

would love to read more by him, i'll add those to my list. is the blindness sequel any good?

cda

by Hand Knit
I really enjoyed History of the Seige of London, if we are talking about Saramago. Blindness is actually my least favorite because it's so freakin dire. The other stuff I've read from him has more levity and I appreciate that. If I want to get depressed by a Portuguese genius, I will just reread The Book of Disquiet.

----------------

beer pal

the first half was so grim that once they got out of the hospital it seemed downright hopeful by contrast even while there were piles of poo poo & dead bodies all over the place

magic cactus

cda posted:

If I want to get depressed by a Portuguese genius, I will just reread The Book of Disquiet.

I relate to that book a little too much. It's probably the best writing on loneliness and being alone I've ever read

cda

by Hand Knit

magic cactus posted:

I relate to that book a little too much. It's probably the best writing on loneliness and being alone I've ever read

Ditto.

----------------

ulvir

I read it back when I was rather depressed several years ago, and it was strangely comforting in a weird way, maybe because it sort of hit the same notes that sad songs do when you’re a teenager?

magic cactus

ulvir posted:

I read it back when I was rather depressed several years ago, and it was strangely comforting in a weird way, maybe because it sort of hit the same notes that sad songs do when you’re a teenager?

yeah there really is something strangely comforting about that book that i can't quite put into words. the first time i read it i had to pause for a bit because it felt like i was reading my own thoughts down to the random speculating about metaphysics.

3D Megadoodoo

I'm about half-way into a book called El Inocente and if the main character turns out to be innocent I'll be quite mad at the author for spoiling he own book. Also here's a picture of the book because I think the cover is a cool style:

nut

after I finished true detective season one I got a ligotti collection and I really liked one of three stories I have read so far but I hear his best stuff is grimscribe and that’s the back half of the book

take the moon

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm about half-way into a book called El Inocente and if the main character turns out to be innocent I'll be quite mad at the author for spoiling he own book. Also here's a picture of the book because I think the cover is a cool style:

its p rad.

i cant remember what i posted here last but im reading last winter we parted by fuminori nakamura cuz i like his books and really like cultx

----------------

khysanth

Still love you, Homar

Since the spaceship thread is in TGO right now, this book fits:

A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold

magic cactus

khysanth posted:

A Sand County Almanac

Isn't that just dune?

beer pal

the windmill thing happens very early and only takes like one page. u know seeing as thats the only thing that i know about the plot of don quixote i kind of expected the fight against the windmills to be like the climactic event in the story lol but it took longer for the priest guy to choose which of don quixote's nerdy knight books to burn & which to keep than the whole windmill sequence

Badactura

My wish lives in the future.
While waiting for half price books to get me annihilation (sorry guy who suggested starting w a different Vandermeer book but it looked cool and I'm a sucker for 'zones') I read the anarchist expropriators which is a cool little book about anarchists doing crime in Argentina. I'm also reading a book full of 19th century essays about the origin of ballooning because I'm going to run an RPG about a balloon expedition.

Teatro grotesco was good but that's the only ligotti I read that guy fuckin hates puppets

The DPRK

i really like infinite jest, pals

nut

I have begun reading Moby Dick, the novel

cda

by Hand Knit

nut posted:

I have begun reading Moby Dick, the novel

hell yeah, it is the best

----------------

nut

cda posted:

hell yeah, it is the best

it is not only awesome, but infinitely more readable than I was led to believe. I can see how people would find it long and annoying, but if you love people that infinitely ruminating about everything, it is so funny.

beer pal

i found it a bit difficult at times in that with the short chapters that sometimes hop around discontinuously so i couldnt build up like a reading momentum if you know what i mean (actually had a bit of that same in early parts of don quixote too, he kind of hops around from one farce to another for a while) but it is very funny & good. a nice thing is that i actually somehow didnt know if he gets the whale in the end or not so there was some real tension for me in the last chapters

beer pal

cda is the audio book of jr by william gaddis you liked the one on audible narrated by nick sullivan? (idk if there are multiple out there or not)

bog pixie

I just started Lake of Urine, and it's completely absurd. In the first 20 pages or so there's already a dog fitted in scuba gear being sunk to the bottom of a lake to measure how deep it is. After the guy already measured the length of winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

cda is the audio book of jr by william gaddis you liked the one on audible narrated by nick sullivan? (idk if there are multiple out there or not)

yep that's the one. just as a heads up though, i personally like letting language wash over me and do not find a little disorientation to be unpleasant so i approach audiobooks more like listening to music where youre not sitting there trying to hear every single lyric the first time through, you're just having an experience

----------------