Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Torrannor posted:

I have a few hours of time to kill on Friday, and thought I would make the CK3 thread then. Any title suggestions?

I know pdx is using it for marketing but it still fits

Crusader Kings 3: An Heir is Born

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Crusader Kings 3: CK2 died under suspicious circumstances

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Crusader Kings 3: Thread Title Lost on Succession.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-a9U0-EboQ

The last video tutorial is here.

Hope let's plays are quick to follow

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fader Movitz posted:

Crusader Kings 3: CK2 died under suspicious circumstances

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I regret that I never lasted more than 30 minutes with a horse lord before quitting for one reason or another. were hordes badly designed or do I just suck?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ilitarist posted:

So what happens if you get big enough to be have the most counties of several cultures under your (indirect) rule? I assume a culture head has to be of that culture.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I never cared for their mechanics. Land management always felt wonky and the clan screen has been broken for ages. Every now and then I think I'll do a Genghis Khan run but give up on it quickly.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

:eyepop:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hordes are not designed to survive for long. the clan structure means that it's pretty much impossible to effectively maintain control for too long, and you're pretty much always at risk of some sort of horrible fallout. the benefit you get is that you can pay more attention to your initial avatar's culture/religion combo because your first strategic goal is definitely going to be to take a county you really like so you can go tribal.

i'd argue you're not missing much just giving nomads a miss.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Horse lords are just kind of boring imo. Tearing down land isn't as fun as building it up, so your gameplay is just amassing a big enough op retinue to take down some big empire and transition into being settled. Combat is a joke since you just have the best troop types and lots of them and at early start dates no one can compete with you. The longest I played as a Horde was just to get the Ghengis Khan title, and then I conquered pretty much all of India in one go...and then kind of gave up cause I mean who can stop me?

Also is there a History of Rome style podcast about India/Tibet? Lacking any historical context for the region makes it not as exciting as Europe/Mid East to me.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Fat Samurai posted:

So what happens if you get big enough to be have the most counties of several cultures under your (indirect) rule? I assume a culture head has to be of that culture.

Right, they confirmed that in an earlier DD. The Culture Head is the landed character of that culture with the most counties of that culture. And if there is no landed character of a given culture, they get a random fascination with a moderately low learning score

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Anyone watch today’s stream earlier? Anything new?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Nomads basically ignore everything that makes CK2 interesting or difficult. You don’t have holdings to build or manage, you just burn everything to ash the second you take it. You’re rewarded for doing this with tens of thousands of gold, massive piles of tech points and troops, and afterwards the lands are instantly converted to the right culture and religion so they never rebel. The only vassals that matter are your 5ish clan chiefs, who are trivial to keep happy; everyone else can (and basically must) be revoked to landlessness for free the second you’re at peace. And of course you crush everyone on the battlefield because lol heavy cav retinues. Even other nomad realms are no threat, because they don’t understand how to play the nomad game - they leave their realms full of useless vassals and buildings, so you’ll outnumber them at a quarter their nominal size.

The only threat to a nomad realm is that when you die the game might roll some dice and cut your realm into three pieces for no reason.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I think my best nomad game was when I carved out a realm across the steppe as the Khazars, made all the land around the Black Sea my demesne and settled as a merchant republic to make fat stacks from both the sea and the silk road. I bent the knee to the Byzantines, maintained Tengriism in secret and slowly ate the empire from the inside out. I took over, turned everything Tengri, then conquered the holy land and gave it all to a trusted Jewish advisor. I switched to him and played as Israel for the rest of the game.

I think the takeaway there is that nomads are more fun to start with than to play continuously.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Anno posted:

Anyone watch today’s stream earlier? Anything new?

I watched it, and it didn't seem like there was anything drastically new that we haven't seen in dev diaries/CK2. The one thing I remember in particular was that we saw that "demand conversion" now may have vassals demand a payment in exchange. This seems to be something beyond the binary yes/no response. The impression I got from how they spoke about it seemed like vassals are much less likely to convert to a new faith for free if they don't convert when their liege adopts it; they will almost always ask for something in exchange if they will convert at all. They also mentioned that a Holy War aggressor has the potential to refuse a conversion in exchange for peace, though that didn't happen in this case. It also seems like adopting a new faith may be limited to once per lifetime. I don't remember if this was the case in CK2 or not.

We did also see that Control went down drastically after their capital county was sieged down, and even with having their marshal attempt to re-establish control there it still hadn't fully recovered by the end. Losing control means the county gives fewer taxes and levies until Control is re-established, and any faith with clergy serving the Control function will get a bonus to Control in counties with a temple (Catholicism is one such faith).

There were some other minor things, like the mental break system in action, the character become Rakish as the result of too much stress, and using the decision to visit the brothel caused the character to lose a huge amount of stress--I believe around 70ish. But they also got Lover's Pox, which seems a little harsher than it was in CK2 (the attraction penalty is heftier than I remember, and there's also some loss of "natural dread"). One of their lovers also immediately broke off their relationship when the character became afflicted (his sister, incidentally).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean if you have to give a payment but they don't immediately start a secret society that seems like a fair trade, since after hidden religions became a thing I never asked anyone to convert because then I would just have a secret religion problem.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Has to be this :golfclap:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Nomads are pretty much the most overpowered thing in the game, even if you don't cheese the clan mechanics.

Like once you get to be single empire sized (e.g. Persia) and burning down that empire sized territory, you should have enough pop growth (from burn bonuses) to support sufficient OP retinue horde stacks to fight half the world at the same time.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 19, 2020

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

ilitarist posted:

There's still more of these coming, he said the next one will cover military.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

mmm I dunno he said Apollo was gonna be doing military tutorials next

e: beaten, time to die

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Veryslightlymad posted:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ham posted:

Has to be this :golfclap:

I think you mean :ese:
But yes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Veryslightlymad posted:

Sounds like we have a winner!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Veryslightlymad posted:

:kiss:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-53UbzPhiI

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Daktar posted:

I think my best nomad game was when I carved out a realm across the steppe as the Khazars, made all the land around the Black Sea my demesne and settled as a merchant republic to make fat stacks from both the sea and the silk road. I bent the knee to the Byzantines, maintained Tengriism in secret and slowly ate the empire from the inside out. I took over, turned everything Tengri, then conquered the holy land and gave it all to a trusted Jewish advisor. I switched to him and played as Israel for the rest of the game.

I think the takeaway there is that nomads are more fun to start with than to play continuously.

Paradox has a problem of making steppe nomads in their games either hilariously OP or trash imo.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Paradox has a problem of making steppe nomads in their games either hilariously OP or trash imo.

I imagine it's difficult to really strike the right historical balance for them since you need to find a system that will represent the fact that for most of history they mainly fought amongst themselves but also for a very brief period they dominated an entire continent.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Kingdoms & Generals' second video, covering the 1066 start. Great watch for finding interesting rulers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW91dnqSsAo

Ham fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 20, 2020

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I hope intrigue will be useful for fully independent rules this time around.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Does anyone know if you can have your own character fight as a Knight in your armies in CK3? I haven't seen all the streams, but it doesn't appear in the dev diaries either way

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Absolutely this one, holy poo poo.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Are knights the new commanders or are they separate?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Are knights the new commanders or are they separate?

The videos make them seem like an asset in and of themselves. That the army might have an overall commander, but each knight contributes fairly significantly to your army's power. If they're any good, at least.

Kaza42 posted:

Does anyone know if you can have your own character fight as a Knight in your armies in CK3? I haven't seen all the streams, but it doesn't appear in the dev diaries either way

The videos also show the king being in one of the armies. I dunno if you would be a knight per se, but still involved.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It would be neat to have an option to lead from the front and get those knight like bonuses, or some incentive to "lead from the rear" if your ruler has no combat prowess. Like they'd get more prestige/piety if they are there in person for the battle, or morale bonuses for the army to see the ruler there, but less risk of randomly dying (but more chance of being captured if your army loses)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yes

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Kaza42 posted:

i wonder if you can be a knight in your liege's army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
El Cid! :swoon:

https://prnt.sc/u2ervs