Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I store mine off the impact. They hold charge really well without being on the charger, so in addition to avoiding all the opinions about whether or not on the charger is good or bad, it's just unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I store all my batteries off to the side, not on a charger, not on a tool. I don't want to keep them charging unnecessarily, I don't have a good reason to put them on the tool, I've never gone to use one and found it out of juice (since the NiCad days).

You may also want to store them in a fireproof container depending on your level of worry.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719H46PF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_A7XoFbDCWTB2G

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I try not to leave the batteries on the tools, too many times they have shifted in their bags when I’m driving and I find them running when I get where I’m going. Or dead. Ask Tremek if you should leave them on the charger.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

OSU_Matthew posted:

drat dude, 4 full sets of impact sockets? Might as well roll up the whole toolchest. I’ve got a full set of deep & standard impact sockets in a blow molded case and while I’m not abusing or using them near as much as you do, I’d think it’s adequate for a junkyard run.

You can tape up the handle so it’s more comfortable, and a five gallon bucket will hold 125 pounds. You could even get a rolling hand cart, though at that point you’re probably better off with something like the Milwaukee packout system. Do you bring a wheelbarrow to the junkyard?

This is honestly what you need:

I've gotten myself screwed over on something by only having shallow when I needed deep or vise versa far too many times... though that should be somewhat reduced once I dispose of my Subaru(s). And yeah, basically I do that now, whole toolchest it's just packed tight into one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2...odalType=drawer

Basically every single pocket is full to bursting. 3 sets of different kinds of gearwrenches. A bunch of metric and imperial line wrenches. A set of crowsfoot wrenches. A dozen ratchet extensions. 6 or 7 ratchets. A breaker bar. 4 sets of impact sockets. 2 sets of regular 12 point 3/8. A set of deep 12 point 3/8. A set of deep 12 point 1/4. A set of external torx. 2 sets of allen bits. A set of torx bits. About a dozen screwdrivers and half a dozen pairs of pliers. Chisels, punches, etc etc. A bajillion random oversize sockets that aren't part of sets. Probably a dozen wrenches > 3/4" in one end pocket. An 8lb hand sledge for when nothing I brought is right. A gear puller. A pitman arm puller. I'd be absolutely shocked if it's under 80lbs, it's probably more like 120, comparing it to what a sack of concrete weighs.

Right now I just put it in whatever car I'm driving, I'm used to having everything with me like that just in case and it's saved my rear end many times. But it's far too many tools in too little space to be well organized and easy to get at. Back when I was like 25, yeah I'd just stick it on my shoulder and walk into the yard with it whole, then switched to using a wheelbarrow. These days I usually leave it in the car and bring what I think I'll need with me, no more than I can carry in two hands and a pocket or two, but I guess wrong often enough that it has me worrying about my bad luck sending me 25 miles back to the shop to get a tool I forgot.

I dunno. I think at this point I'm going to put all the stuff I could possibly need at the junkyard in the top half of the rolling cabinet (it's an old StackOn tool chest) and just haul that out to the car if I'm going yarding, and keep all my more specialized stuff like GM column tools, bearing clamshells, impact, crimpers, etc etc that I only use for rebuilding and assembling stuff in the bottom half. I had forgotten that the top half could be carried separately when I posted this, as I bought this tool chest forever ago and just hadn't used it yet. It's not this one, but it's very close to it.

And yes, that service truck is exactly what I actually need to live like this, but it's kind of out of budget, sadly. I'd absolutely love my next project to be a Kaiser Jeep M726 with a service crane rigged onto it and a decent modern diesel or GM Gen3+ V8 under the hood.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 18, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Suburban Dad posted:

I've always gotten by just fine with a small bag or backpack. Carry the poo poo you need for the job you're doing, not the whole kitchen sink IMO. Especially since you have to carry it plus parts all the way back.

One set of deep sockets, one shallow set in 3/8 or 1/2 depending on what I'm doing and maybe a couple screwdrivers and extensions. If I need to free something up I bring a rubber hammer to beat the poo poo out of a ratchet to break something loose. That's how I do it in the garage at home rather than trying to muscle stuff off. :v: Otherwise an impact.

Yeah I'm with you on this one. Generally I know if the vehicle I'm stripping is imperial or metric, and if I'm wrong then we struggle for a while with an adjustable wrench or go home. Its fine.

I almost replied to the blow mold and bucket post with... "kastein is never going to do that" and now I wish I did.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
My typical junkyard kit:

3/8" metric and imperial socket set
metric and imperial wrench roll
small thin prybar
multibit screwdriver (megapro brand is my favourite)
lineman pliers
wire cutters
needlenose pliers
yellow tinsnips
olfa knife
vicegrips
plastic trim prybar

I've pretty much been able to get anything out with these. They all fit in a small handheld metal toolbox/lunchbox.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Every time I've gone to a junkyard it's for a specific thing on a car I know. So I can guess pretty close to what I need +/- shits hosed sawzall or big hammer.

Are you going to just browse?

Even if I went looking for good stuff in model/year range it's not a ton of tools. 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 in sockets and box end plus a couple Phillips, a pry bar, a pick, and a hammer will turn most hondas into individual parts.

Add crank pulley tool and axle sized socket if you're after any of that stuff. Maybe a pickle fork.

All of that will fit in a small bag or bucket.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Tool Show & Tell

Here’s my carry bag:

I’ve had this puppy for about 8 years? A good one, I’m not nice to it.

That’s the front pouch contents. This was initially my ‘electrical job’ bag, it’s morphed into a more general purpose deal, but the soldering iron is still there despite me not needing it more than maybe once a month.

That’s from the main pouch. Not pictured: bags with heat shrink tubing and many, many cable ties. Also the M12 surge impactor is off on another task somewhere, I usually carry it and the drill.

Here’s what’s in the orange Klein bag: various bits, the nut drivers which I still don’t really like, and the hex sets.

Here’s the back pocket: multimeter, bags of fuses, some jumpers, and the all-important pink paper clip jumper.

There’s not a ton of extra room there, so if I need a bunch of extra poo poo for a project I’ll toss it in a bucket or some other bag.

Here’s some other poo poo that lives in the van:

Lots of stuff crammed in there.

This is the packout rolling box with most of the smaller power tools and accessories in it. Jigsaw, rotary tool, oscillating tool, M18 drill, right angle drill, at least one ratchet, hacksall. (Some of these are out)

This is the packout box with most of the 3/8” and 1/4” sockets and wrenches, and the rolls are my combo wrenches. Deep/regular/swivel sockets in metric and SAE for 1/4”, regular and ‘half’ depth (between regular and full ‘deep’) in 3/8”, plus hex sockets, torx and e-torx, and many sizes and flavors of socket wrenches for both sizes. Many extensions and adapters. Lots of poo poo, this one is heavy.

Wiha rolling box with more 3/8” sockets (deep and nano, metric and SAE) and some 1/2” deep and nano in both. Cheater pipe, torque adapter, I forget what’s in the blue box. Usually the 1/2” impactor lives in here too, it’s on assignment.

More boxes of tools/supplies in the van.

Bin with supplies/random parts and tools that don’t live in the van but that I need for something (heat gun is for stripping varnish, hot knife I was using to cut line for the FJ). Hiding behind that bin is the new rolling cart I got.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

honda whisperer posted:

Every time I've gone to a junkyard it's for a specific thing on a car I know. So I can guess pretty close to what I need +/- shits hosed sawzall or big hammer.

Are you going to just browse?

Even if I went looking for good stuff in model/year range it's not a ton of tools. 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 in sockets and box end plus a couple Phillips, a pry bar, a pick, and a hammer will turn most hondas into individual parts.

Add crank pulley tool and axle sized socket if you're after any of that stuff. Maybe a pickle fork.

All of that will fit in a small bag or bucket.

I usually go for a laundry list of small stuff or one or two big things. Pretty often (at least in the past, I've been light on heavy duty project parts acquisition recently) I end up flipping cabs or entire bodies off of frames to pull motors and transmissions out of wrecked half-ton and larger vehicles.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Krakkles posted:

I store mine off the impact. They hold charge really well without being on the charger, so in addition to avoiding all the opinions about whether or not on the charger is good or bad, it's just unnecessary.

:same:

I don’t touch my battery dremel all that often and it lasts most of a full year sitting sadly by its lonesome. Never run out of juice yet.

kastein posted:

I've gotten myself screwed over on something by only having shallow when I needed deep or vise versa far too many times... though that should be somewhat reduced once I dispose of my Subaru(s).

I feel you. I’m constantly annoyed at how often I need multiples of the same socket but in different depths or extenders just to do something as routine as change out a headlight bulb. It’s cathartic to be able to trash something to get what I need

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've charged my bosch 12v lithium ion driver that's used for little jobs at home exactly once... I've owned it for 3 years now. It still shows full bars of charge. There is some dark magic in there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have the 12v bosch and that little bastard is amazing with charges. I'm in about the same boat as you (charged literally for a few years). Torquey little bastards too, my brother was very surprised the torque that little impact driver put out when we were building a deck.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

+1 on the Bosch drivers.

The only battery powered tool I have that isn’t red is a brushless Bosch driver and I regularly leave that thing sitting in a Jeep in hot weather for 8 months, take it out, use it, put it back, and never, ever, charge it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I spent some time oiling and lightly sanding this guy the other day and decided I should take some pictures of it and share. I'm pretty sure this specific tool is not one that most have in their arsenal.

Ok, WTF it's just a hammer? Yeah, but it's a really good hammer, and they were made specifically for Bell Telephone....

They were manufactured by Stanley and it's called a "linesman hammer"

I inherited this hammer from my great-uncle. He became a linesman for Bell back in 1945, but I suspect this hammer is much newer. Regardless, it shows a lot of use, and I still use it on the regular today. In my toolbox it's known as "the persuader" and no balljoint has resisted the urgent demands this hammer has placed on it.

Like a lot of really great American tools they're not made anymore, but if you ever come across one of them at a garage sale or whatever I highly recommend you take it home with you. It is by far my favorite tool in the toolbox.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

trouser chili posted:

I spent some time oiling and lightly sanding this guy the other day and decided I should take some pictures of it and share. I'm pretty sure this specific tool is not one that most have in their arsenal.

Ok, WTF it's just a hammer? Yeah, but it's a really good hammer, and they were made specifically for Bell Telephone....

They were manufactured by Stanley and it's called a "linesman hammer"

I inherited this hammer from my great-uncle. He became a linesman for Bell back in 1945, but I suspect this hammer is much newer. Regardless, it shows a lot of use, and I still use it on the regular today. In my toolbox it's known as "the persuader" and no balljoint has resisted the urgent demands this hammer has placed on it.

Like a lot of really great American tools they're not made anymore, but if you ever come across one of them at a garage sale or whatever I highly recommend you take it home with you. It is by far my favorite tool in the toolbox.

They're also called "Lineman step hammers" or "Stepping hammers" because of the additional hole for driving and twisting the metal "L" steps that used to be installed on poles before bucket trucks became widespread. That's a sweet hammer with a great back story.

Someone posted a similar hammer this morning on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tools/comments/id8shh/otd_bell_system_lineman_step_hammer_brought_back/

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 20, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not really a tool thing, but thought some people here might have some input.

I have a basic Hunter home irrigation controller, and while it's functional, it's clunky as hell. Awkward and absolutely non-intuitive to program, and if you lose the power while the programing stays in non-volatile memory the date is flashed back to something like 2009 and it's a pain in the rear end to get it all set up again, so I'm thinking of replacing it.

Anyone have a recommendation on a controller, preferably with some WiFi ability? I thought it would be frivolous to control from my phone but running downstairs is sort of a pain so I see the value. Does anyone make a wireless (solar powered?) rain/sun sensor?

Also, I presume most controllers should be agnostic with the valve? I'm running Hunter PGV.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm running a couple of OpensprinklerPi controllers. Because yes - going from a painful to use interface designed to make the BOM as cheap as possible, to something that uses a web UI, really is a big quality of life improvement anytime you need to tweak things.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I literally had no idea that was even a thing. It's such a niche it sort of surprises me. I'm not really a tinkerer though, was hoping for a mass market out of the box solution, but I may check into that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Wirecutter has a review of a few smart sprinkler controllers. I have no input on whether any of it makes sense as I have never and probably will never have a need for them, but maybe it’ll be helpful to you: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-smart-sprinkler-controller/

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hi tool thread, my spice rack is out of control. I post this in the tool thread because I'm thinking some sort of tool organizer might be the right solution for my drawer based storage.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 22, 2020

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Write the spice name on top with a sharpie and you'll probably find it 100x my manageable. You could store them laying flat so you can read labels but you'll lose a ton of space. You'll need a bigger cabinet or way to get more creative (magnetic stick containers stuck to the refrigerator for example) to organize things better.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Also some of the best organization tricks are getting rid of things. If you have a million baking spices but only use them for special holidays, throw that poo poo in the back of the pantry. I just keep my most used cooking spices like garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, etc. near the range.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Also alphabetizing can be helpful. Here’s a warning that it gets addictive. It also makes shopping for spices maddening when the stores/displays in the stores don’t.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Hi tool thread, my spice rack is out of control. I post this in the tool thread because I'm thinking some sort of tool organizer might be the right solution for my drawer based storage.

I bought one of these for my kitchen and I have been absolutely happy with it.

https://www.verticalspice.com/?mscl...ertical%20Spice

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A custom rack by the fridge was popular for a while.

Alternatively:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Uthor posted:

We've got a smaller version of that. 5 slide-out shelves that screw into the cabinets. Nicely solid and smooth. 3 little ones and 2 big ones. Link to little ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4N0SIC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

slidebite posted:

Not really a tool thing, but thought some people here might have some input.

I have a basic Hunter home irrigation controller, and while it's functional, it's clunky as hell. Awkward and absolutely non-intuitive to program, and if you lose the power while the programing stays in non-volatile memory the date is flashed back to something like 2009 and it's a pain in the rear end to get it all set up again, so I'm thinking of replacing it.

Anyone have a recommendation on a controller, preferably with some WiFi ability? I thought it would be frivolous to control from my phone but running downstairs is sort of a pain so I see the value. Does anyone make a wireless (solar powered?) rain/sun sensor?

Also, I presume most controllers should be agnostic with the valve? I'm running Hunter PGV.

I ran the previous version of this at my old house: https://rachio.com/rachio-3e/

Can't vouch for the new one, but it was easy to setup and worked reliably for me. It used internet weather to skip days where rain was forecast to prevent overwatering/waste.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm real torn on those things. Right now I have a very easy to use controller, not fancy but there isn't anything wrong with it. No need to get a new one really. It's all set up how I like it and I can change it quickly. I even managed to get a program going with new heads that is keeping the grass green and saves water over what came with the house.

On the other hand, on more than one occasion I would have liked to delay it remotely, or without going into the rain to press the button. I also initially wanted a additional programming cycle (right now it has A and B).

Then back on the no side, I hate smart anything. I've had smart switches before but I'm just more paranoid about them and about losing support as well as bad intentions.

The good news is they cost just enough that I didn't buy any and now I have more important things to work on and worry about so the little rainbird can stay.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My controller is a piece of poo poo so now I've got to decide if I want to DIY this or just buy something. I'm glad this came up and thanks for the suggestions.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Might also want to ask the plumbing thread in DIY.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131944

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Uthor posted:

Alternatively:

I'm planning on going this route in the next house I build, except with adjustable shelves.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You can do it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They even got the knot in the wood right

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

um excuse me posted:

i use these, with printed labels on the top

https://www.amazon.com/Encheng-Airtight-Rubber-Gasket-Kitchen/dp/B07G8TZVPZ/

but i also get my spices from the bulk bins so i dont end up buying huge bottles of them

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
spices go on the wall with some velcro tape and velcro wallpaper

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for all the sprinkler ideas guys... not sure if I'll do it soon or just do more research over the winter, considering I'll be winterizing within a couple months now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

um excuse me posted:

They even got the knot in the wood right

Wrong colour stain.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

um excuse me posted:

my buddy Max designs and sells these motherfuckers, which are amazing. I just mounted mine right to the wall next to my oven. not sure if it’s the right solution for you but they’re worth every penny. he does 2 sizes in 4 colors and they come with every drat label in the world

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Google has some... interesting definitions of what constitutes an air tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Well a gun will fire something through the air.