Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I love goofy one in a million poo poo happening, and GTA4's driving physics deliver that in spades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I'm not gonna say you're wrong, I'd just love to hear your idea of a good 2d platformer

I was mostly trolling, sorry I wasn't clearer. I can see why people say it's good, and I really got into it before I got so frustrated with its difficulty that I just dropped it. I wasn't enjoying the story as well, so I didn't bother with the difficulty options.

To answer your question, Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island are the platformers that I remember having lots of fun with. I also played the All-Stars versions of SMB, 2 and 3, and of those I only really liked SMB2, probably because it was different from the other 2 games? Not sure...

I haven't played enough platformers after the SNES to have an formed opinion on them though, so there's that also.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 19, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

I was mostly trolling

The gently caress?!?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

I got talked into buying it because it is supposedly amazing but I was not expecting to have to play an insane bullet hell RPG, I appreciate it for what it is but I'll probably never play through it because it's just not my jam (same as Souls games)

Yeah, same! I also really didn't really get the spare mechanic, and stopped bothering with it after some point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I could port my postgame save from the PS3 to my PS4/PC install of GTAV I’d maybe actually ply it again. I started a campaign this year and made it maybe half an hour in before I realized how little I wanted to play through the story again, I just want to dick around with my postgame billions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HardDiskD posted:

Yeah, same! I also really didn't really get the spare mechanic, and stopped bothering with it after some point.

Thing is with Undertale is that a lot of the encounters don't function under strict RPG rules, you're meant to actually pay attention to the text boxes and what characters do and say and act accordingly. Even took me a while to pick up on some things, like the pacifist Mettaton fight.

Also, am I the only one who thought that despite thematically taking cues from Earthbound, Undertale's visuals and audio seem designed to evoke an early PC game?

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 19, 2020

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Tea Party Crasher posted:

IMO In Undertale, the pacifist option to beat Toriel is obtuse and doesn't make sense on the first play-through. I'm a little kid and I've known you for ten minutes, and the second I try to leave your butterscotch pie hostage situation you start to beat my rear end? Why shouldn't I defend myself? Only after getting two blows across the cheek do I have the option to ask for her forgiveness and tell her to stop, which is not something that occurred to me when I played it because I just dodged her attacks and kept mashing spare. That means the only way to get a peaceful resolution is to let my pseudo guardian use dark magic on me in the hopes she'll feel bad about it and promise to change.

This chaffed me a little when at the end of the game, after sparing literally everyone else, Sans calls me an rear end in a top hat murderer. It was self defense Sans, give me a break.

And I get that on repeat play-throughs, perhaps the message is you should use your extra knowledge as a player to seek the pacifist option. But I am a busy woman with a lot visual novels to get through, I don't have time to reset Undertale's universe so that a skeleton will like me.

The clue is that her dialogue never technically repeats, but I actually agree that the fight was signposted poorly. I went into Undertale blind, and thought that maybe I had to hit her to get her to progress the non-lethal option (like you have to do in a later boss fight against her husband). Then my friend told me that "no, you just have to keep missing her for like a dozen tries." So, I restarted and got that smug message from the flower, and it was kind of a dick move.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

I was mostly trolling, sorry I wasn't clearer. I can see why people say it's good, and I really got into it before I got so frustrated with its difficulty that I just dropped it. I wasn't enjoying the story as well, so I didn't bother with the difficulty options.

To answer your question, Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island are the platformers that I remember having lots of fun with. I also played the All-Stars versions of SMB, 2 and 3, and of those I only really liked SMB2, probably because it was different from the other 2 games? Not sure...

I haven't played enough platformers after the SNES to have an formed opinion on them though, so there's that also.

Would someone really do that, just go on the internet and tell lies?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot about Toriel makes sense considering she's basically traumatised, what with the whole losing both her biological and adopted children in horrific tragedies and her ex husband having adopted a genocidal policy towards humans that she's personally seen off six victims of. Which is kind of the whole deal with the pacifist route; letting all the monsters work out their traumas on you until they give in and become friends. Basically an anime protagonist.

It's certainly a reasonable characterization, but I felt somewhat disenchanted with the game when I learned within the last 30 seconds of the game that I had locked into a bad route within the first 10 minutes. Plus, Toriel was the only one I didn't spare, if I went back and did so I'd basically play through the same game a second time. So I just lost interest.

Plan Z posted:

The clue is that her dialogue never technically repeats, but I actually agree that the fight was signposted poorly. I went into Undertale blind, and thought that maybe I had to hit her to get her to progress the non-lethal option (like you have to do in a later boss fight against her husband). Then my friend told me that "no, you just have to keep missing her for like a dozen tries." So, I restarted and got that smug message from the flower, and it was kind of a dick move.

I made the exact same mistake. I was avoiding her attacks, and just kept repeating the spare command to no avail, and I figured "well, I only have this one other input so here goes nothing." And I'll be honest, getting some fourth wall breaking message from Flowey because I am trying not to kill people sounds pretty frustrating. Let me try and play the game the good way you want me to, Mr. Fox.

Tea Party Crasher fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 19, 2020

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sorry for the cut mate, just wanted to see how you'd respond

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Plan Z posted:

Dishonored is fantastic but when people say "Well, if you want to play a Thief game, play Dishonored!" I want to loving smack them. Thief is a game where you play a normal human whose main goal is to steal stuff. Dishonored is a game where you play a magical assassin who can teleport everywhere while trying to kill people.
You absolutely can play dishonored like thief. You never have to kill anyone, use magic, or reveal yourself and can absolutely play it like Garrett. This is wrong, though, and will make this fantastic action game onto a tedious slog.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Undertale is kinda designed deliberately to actively gently caress with anyone who tries to use 'video game logic'. Flowey's whole deal especially; there's specific dialogue if you kill Toriel and then reload and spare her. (BTW: it's pretty obvious but it's designed that if you attack Toriel when she's under 50% HP you'll get a massive critical hit that fatally wounds her. Specifically at the equivalent point where she'll actively start missing you with her attacks)

poverty goat posted:

You absolutely can play dishonored like thief. You never have to kill anyone, use magic, or reveal yourself and can absolutely play it like Garrett. This is wrong, though, and will make this fantastic action game onto a tedious slog.

I'm reminded of the recent Hitman games, which I think strike a decent balance where you're supposed to replay missions as much as you like/can stand to kill the targets in whatever way suits you, rather than being stuck with whatever happened to be convenient the first time around.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of the recent Hitman games, which I think strike a decent balance where you're supposed to replay missions as much as you like/can stand to kill the targets in whatever way suits you, rather than being stuck with whatever happened to be convenient the first time around.

The problem with Hitman (which I love and have replayed all the missions a million times) is that there are so many more NPCs that have more rudimentary AI that's easy to jank out. So you lose some of the finer details you'd get in a Thief game, like making sure to walk on carpets to not be heard, or paying attention to light sources to find the perfect dark corner to pop a squat in. That provides a unique tension that doesn't quite exist in Hitman because you can just throw coins, run away and change disguises.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I still play hitman with suit/weapon recovery because that's how I roll

E: I do wish they'd go a bit more realistic with some of the rules. If you knock out a unique NPC and take his uniform, and then his body is found, it doesn't spoil the disguise, for example. Also I hate how the guard gun pickups work, particularly when you start collecting all the unique guns to drop one of each in a hallway to pick off the whole security detail. This was the only way to get one of the season 1 ETs alone and it's the dumbest, gamiest thing ever

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 19, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like I'd enjoy a modern take on Thief, I already like Payday mostly for the stealth missions where you load your van up with bags and bags of valuables. Robbing rich fucks is always fun.

It's also much like Hitman in having a refreshingly to-the-point title.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hitman is not comparable because it's a puzzle game and not an action or adventure game

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Excelzior posted:

Hitman is not comparable because it's a puzzle game and not an action or adventure game

All puzzles should have a 'murderous rampage' option. Can't find the right jigsaw piece? Kill everyone in the building.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Icochet posted:

All puzzles should have a 'murderous rampage' option. Can't find the right jigsaw piece? Kill everyone in the building.

Yahtzee described Hitman as 'Adventure games for the impatient' and that still seems fitting, have the puzzles but also give you guns for when you get bored. Which makes it all the more satisfying when you finish the mission with your guns being an entirely cosmetic choice.

There's an official online Hitman short story where Agent 47 is utterly infamous within the agency for being a total ghost using Rube Goldberg assassinations and the #3 assassin gets drunkenly jealous and tries to set up his own, with results being hilarious failure that gets himself killed- and the target survives. (as discovered by the ICA cleanup guy, who decides to get ahead of his job's high suicide rate has a contract out on himself, paid for with the employee discount)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 19, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

poverty goat posted:

I still play hitman with suit/weapon recovery because that's how I roll

E: I do wish they'd go a bit more realistic with some of the rules. If you knock out a unique NPC and take his uniform, and then his body is found, it doesn't spoil the disguise, for example. Also I hate how the guard gun pickups work, particularly when you start collecting all the unique guns to drop one of each in a hallway to pick off the whole security detail. This was the only way to get one of the season 1 ETs alone and it's the dumbest, gamiest thing ever

which ET was that?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Plan Z posted:

I went into Undertale blind, and thought that maybe I had to hit her to get her to progress the non-lethal option

How could you go in blind and try to do non-lethal. Nothing about a blind playthrough would indicate non-lethal. No game ever has monsters attacking you from the start where you think "I know, I'll do this non-lethal."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

How could you go in blind and try to do non-lethal. Nothing about a blind playthrough would indicate non-lethal. No game ever has monsters attacking you from the start where you think "I know, I'll do this non-lethal."

I dunno, I did it. It's kinda the opposite of a lot of games where non-lethal is obviously telegraphed and has way more interesting options than lethal, while also actually having the game built around it and making it a significant challenge.

IIRC the genocide run is mostly super tedious aside from one difficult boss fight and one deliberately ridiculously hard and unfair boss fight.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

How could you go in blind and try to do non-lethal. Nothing about a blind playthrough would indicate non-lethal.
What? I can sort of get defaulting to lethal in a game that makes you jump through hoops to avoid violence but here the FIGHT and ACT options have equal billing. It's literally a matter of preference

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

which ET was that?

the morocco level ET

he patrols the tunnels between the embassy and the shop with a heavy security detail at all times, so you need to distract all of them to kill him with the Silent Assassin rating

Unlike most ETs, he is NEVER alone, even if you create the usual mass distractions (nearby explosions, fires, etc)

e: I just remembered there's also a different ET in the same level based on a diamond smuggler, but it's not that one

https://hitman.fandom.com/wiki/Vito_%C4%90uri%C4%87 < ----- this guy

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 19, 2020

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I read "Morocco ET level" and got really excited that someone was talking about Wolfenstein:ET

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is with Undertale is that a lot of the encounters don't function under strict RPG rules, you're meant to actually pay attention to the text boxes and what characters do and say and act accordingly.

That's fair, but then the characters get progressively more annoying (Alphys and Mettaton comes to mind) and meh.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

That dpad looks like crap though.
It's just one big circular piece, looks like just a thumbstick with the vague suggestion of cardinal directions moulded onto the face.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HardDiskD posted:

That's fair, but then the characters get progressively more annoying (Alphys and Mettaton comes to mind) and meh.

Do you even have a straight fight with Alphys at any point? And Mettaton literally has the binary 'murder or diplomacy' choice over which one you fight.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do you even have a straight fight with Alphys at any point?

I don't think so, but I remember being really really annoyed at her.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like I'd enjoy a modern take on Thief, I already like Payday mostly for the stealth missions where you load your van up with bags and bags of valuables. Robbing rich fucks is always fun.

It's also much like Hitman in having a refreshingly to-the-point title.

As I recall from payday 2, "stealth" missions were just based around every player bringing shitloads of radio jammers and then blasting through the level as loudly and violently and quickly as possible while dropping a jammer every 30 seconds to stop the enemies from setting off the alarm.

Was payday 1 less batshit about this?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

modern shadowrun on the pc is hella weird inasmuch the story gets better in each expansion. by a lot. not even close actually

modern shadowrun is ok but there's a lot of jank that make it hard to enjoy, like enemies with infinite vision range who can shoot around corners and crit as if you had No Cover, or enemy phases that never end because the game gets stuck in an infinite loop calculating the actions for units that didn't spawn.

the stories are pretty cool but the endings are all wet farts, i guess because the engine doesn't even lend itself to drawing lazy rear end slides like a fallout game.

actually that's probably my biggest universal complaint about western-developed games. japanese studios have had the formula down since day one, your scripted ending sequence should be about 1min per hour of gameplay. american studios be like "100 hour open world game, 30 seconds of ending slides... two hours of credit roll lmao get hosed"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 19, 2020

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

HardDiskD posted:

Undertale is bad and I was genuinely underwhelmed by it.

same, same. I felt so alone that I was afraid to speak out about it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

same, same. I felt so alone that I was afraid to speak out about it

this is a safe thread to speak honestly and call it a bad game, friend. the only thread on the forum where it's safe to do so in fact

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The White Dragon posted:

this is a safe thread to speak honestly and call it a bad game, friend. the only thread on the forum where it's safe to do so in fact

But are a game and its fan base the same thing? Where does one end and the other begin? When does a bad fan base make a game bad?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The White Dragon posted:

Not quite, this thread still got on my case for calling Doom 2016 a bad game. :v:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Do the Shantae games count as anime titty games?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

is pepsi ok posted:

absolutely

half the bosses in the latest one are just "bikini-clad X-girl with big knockers"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Not quite, this thread still got on my case for calling Doom 2016 a bad game. :v:

what the gently caress

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

But are a game and its fan base the same thing? Where does one end and the other begin? When does a bad fan base make a game bad?

imo the game itself is mundanely and inoffensively bad. taken on its own, it was merely a regrettable waste of my time. but your fan base in inextricable, it's like how bronies don't have anything to do with the production of my little pony but its fandom has taken a fairly normal kids' show and poisoned it by association with perverted manchildren.

and when taken with its fans, undertale is the game that calls you mentally ill for not liking it

is pepsi ok posted:

shantae is 1000% an anime titty game. hell it even got a cool crossover opening made by the studio that produced kill la kill, i rest my case

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 19, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HardDiskD posted:

what the gently caress

As much as I've slagged Doom Eternal, Doom '16 is a game that somehow manages to have almost no replay value in spite of a custom map tool.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Snap Maps were so loving bad, I'm not surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Calling snapmap a custom mapping tool is giving it far too much credit