Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nostalgamus posted:

God, I love that animation of infantry melting.

The text briefing seems kind of at odds with the video briefing - you'd think "assassinated the premier" would be emphasised a bit more.

IIRC, you can actually win this mission by destroying the White House - it still counts as a victory somehow (discovered this once when checking out the collapse animation).

"Somehow"? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nostalgamus posted:

God, I love that animation of infantry melting.

The text briefing seems kind of at odds with the video briefing - you'd think "assassinated the premier" would be emphasised a bit more.

IIRC, you can actually win this mission by destroying the White House - it still counts as a victory somehow (discovered this once when checking out the collapse animation).

You can indeed, but it is at odds with the opening video in the next mission!

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
I can't believe General [REDRACTED] killed Premier Romanov.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Aces High posted:

While I was never amazing at deploying them I always loved to use Desolators in skirmish because I loved the voice clips they had. That heavy breathing is forever burned into my memory

Day solator ready! <Garbled heavy breathing>

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the desolator's area irradiation thingy can actually gently caress up tanks if you have a few of them hitting the same area. the greener it is, the stronger the damage over time effect is. i think you need like, three to five desolators to really get a death zone going.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Lynneth posted:

The eight surrounding units, to be exact (you can't get 9 affected because someone has to drive in there).
So you could get 8 elite Apocs, which would just murderise everything in sight.

That's not an understatement, there is honestly very, very little expect just utterly insane overwhelming numbers that could deal with 8 max level Apoc. Tanks and even then would put money on the Apoc. Tanks, they are THAT good, double so at max rank.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

8 max level apocs? uh, chronosphere it into the water. deploy a nuke. actually, would a nuke even kill it, or would you have to send tanks into the glowing rubble to finish them off?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nuke's aren't that fast to deploy, so you could drive/split up your group and be relatively safe.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait.. you can chrono enemy tanks into water?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

evilmiera posted:

Yup. Or boats onto land. Instant kill. Usually not the best use of it, but it can be situationally useful as hell.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The Chronosphere charges quite quickly, so you're likely to have it ready before the units you want to drop with it. So why not gently caress about with it?

Miner dumping was an old classic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

Yeah. That and the AoE are the reasons why it went from useless in RA1 to a classic superweapon.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

You can use a Chronosphere to put aircraft carriers into those tiny little half-a-dozen-tile lakes that are on a lot of maps

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet 09: Operation: The Fox and the Hound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEfhaBnTCTY
Operation: The Fox and the Hound

The United States of America have fallen, and the last remnants are attempting to evacuate the President. South America has completely succumbed to pressure from the Soviet Union. Only parts of Canada, Alaska, and Antarctica remain to conquer! Capture the President, force a total allied defeat!

Hit the Road and bring your Gunn, we're heading to the Alamo!

Objective: Capture President Dugan. Do not let him escape, and do not kill him!

Briefing: Our victory is near at hand. The President has successfully eluded us, but we have tracked him to a dirty little fort called 'The Alamo' in San Antonio, Texas. You must use our Psi-Corps Troopers to mind control the President and force him to surrender the United States.

Author's note: According to the wiki, no other Soviet mission allows for the use of the Allied Spy. Also, the Sniper makes an appearance; another skirmish-only unit.

Names: Unknown
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Soviet Union
Voiced/Played by: Unknown

One of Yuri's lackeys.

Name: Gen. Vladimir
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Adam Greggor

General of the Soviet Union's forces. Pompous glory hog. War Hero of the Soviet Union. Knows what Yuri is up to, and vows to take him down. Captured by Loyalists/Yuri's Forces, presumed dead.

Name: Yuri
Voiced/Played by: Udo Kier

Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union. May not be on the up-and-up, dislikes Gen. Vladimir. Knows the meaning of "Soviet Irony." Do not tr~urk! Glorious Yuri is friend to all!

N/A

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "World leaders tremble in fear at the mention of our psychic troops. With you in command, no one is safe."

Slower than Par Time: "The President is ours to command. You will be rewarded for your zeal."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oddly, while the baseless missions are my least favourite in the earlier games of the series where they feel like they're designed like Sierra adventure games("hope you can read our minds on exactly where to go and when!") the longer the series progresses the more they become my favourites as they're usually the ones that don't involve an endless swarm of enemy troops pouring at you.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I've always found this a very.. Aesthetically pleasing mission? Dunno, the whole layout just looks neat to me.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Those poor dogs, you monster... :ohdear:

Anyway, nice short and sweet mission, although what on earth President Dugan is doing way down in Soviet controlled Texas when he was obviously up in Canada, not to mention how he got there, is a mystery. It is kind of a simple mission all told, but being able to play around again with the Psi-core Troopers is always nice, and I absolutely love the look and design of the map. There honestly isn't tons to do, and the path to victory is super straightforward, but it is definitely a nice little no base mission and a good break from some hectic previous ones.

PurpleXVI posted:

Oddly, while the baseless missions are my least favourite in the earlier games of the series where they feel like they're designed like Sierra adventure games("hope you can read our minds on exactly where to go and when!") the longer the series progresses the more they become my favourites as they're usually the ones that don't involve an endless swarm of enemy troops pouring at you.

Yeah, there has been a noticeable improvement in baseless missions as we have gone along each game, with the ones in RA2 so far having excellent amounts of polish.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe they were trying to get the president down to somewhere in South America thought they were being very sneaky going an obviously too dangerous route and it almost worked. Or they just wanted an Alamo mission.

UED Special Ops posted:

Those poor dogs, you monster... :ohdear:
Yeah I don't even particularly like dogs and thought that was super mean. :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If only I had Chitzkoi :(

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

This one is great because the mind controlled civvies all say comically stereotyped, hammy nonsense.

Where's my horse?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

if you put a spy in the alamo's battle lab, do you unlock one of the secret units? or is that in skirmish only?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

if you put a spy in the alamo's battle lab, do you unlock one of the secret units? or is that in skirmish only?
Yep; the Chrono Ivan, if memory serves.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

oh that's the shittiest one, lame

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

oh that's the shittiest one, lame

While it is the shittiest one, it actually works well with the mind control gimmick on this map. Mind controlling car bombs and suicide bomb civilians and blowing out the base walls and power plants is a legitimate way to go on this one. And a funny way to win.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It definitely feels like a demo map, given its freeform approach.

And demo maps/levels used to be the best ones, so it checks out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, there's a lot of ways you can tackle this map, especially if you actually take out all the infantry with the sniper and don't get him killed when the job's only half done. If you're patient, he can whittle down buildings too - not recommended for the fully functional prism towers, but he's a safe way to pop the damaged pillboxes. When I last did this mission I had a lot of fun with a max rank IFV. Most of its garrisoned weapons aren't affected by rank, but its rockets sure are.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet 10: Operation: Weathered Alliance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do_dkRMcOlQ
Operation: Weathered Alliance

Curiosity killed the cat. Are you a cat, comrade? It turns out that Stalin had spearheaded psychic prodigies before his demise, hence why Yuri is in the position he currently holds, as well as his and his personal troopers capabilities to... sway the minds of his opponents. But, there are more important things at hand. Einstein has created a device that can control weather patterns. The Allies must not be allowed to use it under any circumstance!

With the British no longer its own country, would the British Virgin Islands have joined with the US Virgin Islands?

Objective: Destroy the Weather Control Device!

Briefing: In their final desperate hours, the Allies have managed to produce one last bit of super-technology. They have a Weather Control Device which they can use to create terrible storms that can sink our fleets and level our cities. We believe they have hidden their doomsday weapon in the isolated US Virgin Islands.

Author's note: An interesting mission, with lots to do and plenty of time to do it (within the par time). The only issue being that the WCD is more vulnerable than it normally is.

Name: Yuri
Voiced/Played by: Udo Kier

Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union. May not be on the up-and-up, dislikes Gen. Vladimir. Knows the meaning of "Soviet Irony." Do not tr~urk! Glorious Yuri is friend to all! Personal friend of Iosef Stalin.

Name: Lt. Zofia
Voiced/Played by: Aleksandra Kaniak

Intelligence Officer to the Commander.

Nuke Silo
ARMOR: Concrete
COST: 5000
POWER USED: 200
PURPOSE: Superweapon

The ultimate weapon in the Soviet arsenal is the Nuclear Missile Silo. Once built, the Nuclear Missile Silo creates a huge nuclear missile that can be used to cause incredible devastation in the chosen area. Additionally, the aftermath of the missile leaves radiation that will kill any infantry units in the area and will damage lightly-armoured vehicles. When the Nuclear Missile Silo is built, all players are notified and the shroud above the device is removed for all players.

Author's Note: The first Soviet superweapon, the Nuke. This doesn't mess around. Large explosion, subsequent radiation; it will blow up and melt anything in its way! Two-key security lock not included.

Giant Squid
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: These glands!
COST: 1000

Captured and trained by Soviet scientists, these huge creatures are capable of grasping enemy ships and crushing them with their huge, powerful tentacles. Giant Squids are stealth units and do not appear on enemy radar.

Author's Note: An interesting unit, that performs a similar function as the terror drone. The main difference being that the Squid disables its target entirely, but is vulnerable while in such a state.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Your strategic skills are becoming legendary. It is openly said among the men that it is you alone that will bring them victory."

Slower than Par Time: "The Allies cannot hold out much longer against your heavy-handed assaults. You use the lives of your men well."

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

the way the soviet navy is supposed to work is that your subs club everything in the water, your sea scorpions stay behind the subs and shoot down any ospreys, and the dreadnoughts do their thing. it works best if you don't actually tell the sea scorps to attack anything, you just kinda leave them nearby. the way it actually works, well, we've already seen that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

the way the soviet navy is supposed to work is that your subs club everything in the water, your sea scorpions stay behind the subs and shoot down any ospreys, and the dreadnoughts do their thing. it works best if you don't actually tell the sea scorps to attack anything, you just kinda leave them nearby. the way it actually works, well, we've already seen that.

The way it works is that giant squids attack everything while you laugh maniacally!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The squids are amazing but the allies definitely have a slight edge at the navy game.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Trying to do this mission without using superweapons is an exercise in frustration. The weather control device is surrounded by linked prism towers on high ground and the soviets have no good way to reveal them. I eventually got tired of seeing my dreadnoughts get one-shot by hidden prism towers and started using rocketeers as disposable spotters.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ThingOne posted:

Trying to do this mission without using superweapons is an exercise in frustration. The weather control device is surrounded by linked prism towers on high ground and the soviets have no good way to reveal them. I eventually got tired of seeing my dreadnoughts get one-shot by hidden prism towers and started using rocketeers as disposable spotters.

Honestly if theres AA in the area its a good idea to use a maxed group of dreads to force attack ground somewhere to have the AA reveal itself and surrounding area. And since they fire from such a long distance AND have a long attack animation, you can actually order the next attack spot as the 1st is firing.

And as soon as you have 4 dreads youre basically at critical mass barring any shenanigans.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
It is really kind of a shame that it is so easy to destroy the Weather Control Device with a nuke honestly, as while that does make the mission much easier, based on the incredibly generous par time, I almost suspect that either the nuke originally didn't one-shot the building or perhaps you didn't even have access to them this mission. In any case, this is definitely one of my favorite Soviet missions, and it has a great mix of sea and land combat, and for once you can get good use out of your entire Navy, what with the kinda insane Rocketer spam on hard at any rate. Gaining ground against the Allies really feels like an accomplishment here, and I love the defensive set-up they have, no punches are pulled here, you need to fight for every inch.

Do absolutely love the photo of Stalin and Yuri together though, that is such a neat touch... its a good thing Yuri and his psychic troopers were not ready for prime time in RA1 though.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
haha I can’t tell if Zofia is flirting with the commander or worried you’re going to try a coup yourself.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Hed posted:

haha I can’t tell if Zofia is flirting with the commander or worried you’re going to try a coup yourself.

probably the latter, but deliberately worded like the former because in soviet union phone call listens to you

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hed posted:

I wanted to make this joke twice, but I really want to downplay any of that in case it gets weird. I forget how some of these stories go and would rather be safe than sorry.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Fun fact about that picture of Stalin and Yuri:

Of course, Yuri's basic design is already "Lenin, but psychic".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This thread is seriously lacking discussion of one of the coolest units in any RTS ever. I have no idea what the devs were smoking when they had that idea but giant squids should be mandatory in any game with naval combat.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

This thread is seriously lacking discussion of one of the coolest units in any RTS ever. I have no idea what the devs were smoking when they had that idea but giant squids should be mandatory in any game with naval combat.

They seriously rocked the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Giant squids are awesome. They instantly lock down enemy ships so they can't do anything and the AI doesn't build anywhere near enough dolphins to stop it and even if they are present they're easy to blow up with a sub or two.