Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

loving hell v5 is more cursed than Wraith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the only way I could make sense of it is if Mitsoda's take on Vampire somehow clashed with Achilli's, which, in my head, that feels wrong

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's more likely that "creative direction" doesn't refer to Mitsoda's vision for how the setting will be portrayed, but rather how the game will play. Which, given how many years it's been in the hopper, is an insane dispute to have.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I'm glad I learned my lesson about looking forward to things

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is either a Freelancer scenario where the publisher has to step in to make sure the game ships at all, or or something is being kept under wraps. It's probably the former, but after Avellone...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's more likely that "creative direction" doesn't refer to Mitsoda's vision for how the setting will be portrayed, but rather how the game will play. Which, given how many years it's been in the hopper, is an insane dispute to have.

If it's a gameplay thing, you don't fire the narrative lead, do you?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

CottonWolf posted:

At least Onyx Path are still releasing good V5 books, so the non-Paradox stuff is going well!

Let the Streets Run Red is getting proofed by the gentleman gamer this week - hyped for the deep Milwaukee lore

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Kavak posted:

This is either a Freelancer scenario where the publisher has to step in to make sure the game ships at all, or or something is being kept under wraps. It's probably the former, but after Avellone...

Gonna call a shot and say it's the latter. Timing is just way too weird.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

Scuttlebutt indicates it's not a misconduct thing, but who can say at this point?

CottonWolf posted:

If it's a gameplay thing, you don't fire the narrative lead, do you?
Mitsoda was brought in by Cluley, the creative director, extremely early in the process. They're both being fired. A possibility is that Mitsoda's work was integral to Cluley's vision of the game generally, and that when Paradox wanted to deviate from it (again, two quarters from release), both were made redundant.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic Chunnel posted:

Scuttlebutt indicates it's not a misconduct thing, but who can say at this point?

I think that's the one thing we can be certain of. Multiple Paradox employees have confirmed it wasn't misconduct related.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Where's "Two quarters from release" coming from?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Actually per Kotaku Cluley hasn't been fired, but he has been removed from the game's development. Which I think suggests that without Cluley, Mitsoda had no champion, and Cluley's departure from the project left him vulnerable - that's just how basic office politics tends to shake out.

Provided that there's no misconduct at play, it certainly says something about either Mitsoda's performance or Paradox's understanding of what they have and what Bloodlines fans want. Either or both could be the case. But it's absolutely clear that whatever trouble development was in, Paradox botched management in several critical ways.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

Where's "Two quarters from release" coming from?
If it was due Christmas of 2020 until just recently.

Of course, given the way development and marketing have shaken out, it's absolutely possible that Paradox went full court with PR and intentionally overstated progress. But that just strengthens the larger point about Paradox's publicly horrendous management of the game. Development hell disasters happen all the time but it's rare for such games to be publicly pushed and exhibited and promised in that state the way VTMB2 was.

Usually you get a teaser and maybe a game concept demo and then, if the project implodes, it's kept under wraps. The developer just goes silent until either the game is retooled or canceled outright - Prey 2 would be one example of a game that got a teaser and then quietly scrapped to change hands and become a different game entirely, Bioshock Infinite is a game that got a bigger E3 debut and then got radically changed before reemerging in later years. Publishers keep the sausage making of development quiet for good reason, and don't make promises. Because otherwise you get the scenario we're seeing now.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They never even promised Christmas, they just said 2020. That started to feel like December as the year wore on but the game hasn't had a genuine release window since the first delay.

I don't think Paradox is used to having to seriously manage subsidiaries, especially ones outside Europe. Half the problems with White Wolf before their dissolution came from the idea that they would be fine on their own to make licensing deals and such. The current level of publicity with just dev diaries and the like would have been fine if it wasn't for that weird loving Danke Schoene trailer that everyone laughed at.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

I don't think Paradox is used to having to seriously manage subsidiaries, especially ones outside Europe. Half the problems with White Wolf before their dissolution came from the idea that they would be fine on their own to make licensing deals and such.
If you can't manage subsidiaries then you should really rethink being a major game publisher. "We're new here" isn't much of an excuse when you're rolling in cash. And yeah, while we all hated what a dork Swedracula is, he didn't come with White Wolf, he was given it by Paradox. Which really ought to have reflected more poorly on Paradox than it did on Swedracula, honestly.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

You know, I ain't surprised that WW stuff is cursed.

Considering all the cultural appropriation they did, they must have really shat on some spirit's lawn. :v:

Something big. :tinfoil:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Mitsoda's writing to a great extent is Bloodlines, the writing is the biggest thing people talk about when they talk about how great the game was. Firing him is a bizarre move.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I preordered the game in a show of support. The only other thing u have preordered was Spore.

Never again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Guilty posted:

Mitsoda's writing to a great extent is Bloodlines, the writing is the biggest thing people talk about when they talk about how great the game was. Firing him is a bizarre move.

So if it wasn't misconduct-related was it some bizarre exec overreaction?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Dawgstar posted:

Or related to the probable dev hell.

Or he was being gross in some writing way, and they were understandably allergic to that after NWW's.... everything.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mitsoda was quite adamant that Bloodlines 2 would break from the nascent V5 tradition of being nazi dogshit when the game was announced, it was basically the first thing they made clear.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Dienes posted:

I preordered the game in a show of support. The only other thing u have preordered was Spore.

Never again.
The first rule of video games is: never pre-order video games. The second rule of video games is: no exceptions.

Whatever the reason behind this, the result is going to be a trainwreck. Either the game is a bloated mess and they've brought in a hatchet man (from Ubisoft no less; god help us) to smash a minimum-viable product together and shove it out the door, or they disagree with the game on a fundamental level and are going to rip it up and start over, on an absurdly tight timetable. Which will also lead to a minimally-viable product shoved out the door.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The "Ubisoft hatchetman" hasn't worked for that company since 2007

I see people keep passing this around like he's some games as service boogieman and not someone who ducked out after Assassin's Creed 1

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

As excited as I was, I am just going to wait for a week or two like any other release. If it is extremely good/bad I will know then. If it looks OK I will get it, if not I will skip.

Hope they pivot and make it an action game and not an rpg. Also, make it Hunter the Reckoning 3.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Hello! Haven't played since 1-2 years before V5 came out, last time I ran Requiem v2 but with Masquerade lore.

Is V5 good now? I remember a lot of criticism on it when it came out. Is there a V5.2 / Stryx Chronicle or something similar I can look for? Or should I stick to Requiem2 or V20?

Cable fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 20, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cable posted:

Hello! Haven't played since 1-2 years before V5 came out, last time I ran Requiem v2 but with Masquerade lore.

Is V5 good now? I remember a lot of criticism on it when it came out. Is there a V5.2 / Stryx Chronicle or something similar I can look for? Or should I stick to Requiem2 or V20?

V5's closest baked-in campaign setting/chronicle book was Fall of London which is... not good. In the Year of Our Lord 2020 they made a giant campaign book and based it around pregens. Do you care about Mithras? I hope you care about Mithras.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Honesty, one of my favorite things about running Vampire is setting in my hometown but just making it huge like a major metropolitan area. Great way to do whatever the story needs to work, while also being able to have touchstones that people recognize.

I have never been to New York, so it is as much of a fantasy setting as playing in the Forgotten Realms.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dawgstar posted:

V5's closest baked-in campaign setting/chronicle book was Fall of London which is... not good. In the Year of Our Lord 2020 they made a giant campaign book and based it around pregens. Do you care about Mithras? I hope you care about Mithras.

If you're interested in Chicago, Chicago by Night V5 is a very good book, and it has a 50 page Chronicle in the back. I've not run it though. Let the Streets Run Red, by the same authors, is a pure Chronicle book that's coming out in the not too distant future too.

I agree Fall of London is very weird though. It has some neat ideas, but I think if I actually wanted to run it with a group it would need some serious work to scrap out the pre-gen requirements.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Basic Chunnel posted:

Mitsoda was quite adamant that Bloodlines 2 would break from the nascent V5 tradition of being nazi dogshit when the game was announced, it was basically the first thing they made clear.

God, what if this is their problem with it? What if they specifically want to court that market?
I know it sounds farfetched, but after everything we've seen in 2020...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

paradoxGentleman posted:

God, what if this is their problem with it? What if they specifically want to court that market?

If that were it they'd have to have fired Cara too, no way she's going to take on lead writing on a game the publishers want to turn fash.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah I didn't mean a campaign book (I have one thought of already), I meant to ask whether V5 has any sort of "rules update".

As a matter of fact, I do like oWoD metaplot and have adapted Requirem to follow the major events :p

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Cable posted:

Yeah I didn't mean a campaign book (I have one thought of already), I meant to ask whether V5 has any sort of "rules update".

As a matter of fact, I do like oWoD metaplot and have adapted Requirem to follow the major events :p

Modiphius did some minor errata on V5, and there was an editing pass on Camarilla and Anarch to remove some of the more offensive poo poo in those books. There's still some very stupid stuff in there, but I would argue that, if you didn't know about the previous leadership and the international incident they caused, you would not know it had been there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CottonWolf posted:

If you're interested in Chicago, Chicago by Night V5 is a very good book, and it has a 50 page Chronicle in the back. I've not run it though. Let the Streets Run Red, by the same authors, is a pure Chronicle book that's coming out in the not too distant future too.

I agree Fall of London is very weird though. It has some neat ideas, but I think if I actually wanted to run it with a group it would need some serious work to scrap out the pre-gen requirements.

It does seem like a good benchmark for 'is this good/is it garbo' is 'is the book made by Modiphus or OPP.' If it's the latter, great, if it's the former probably best avoided.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Cable posted:

Yes its extremely good

CottonWolf posted:

ElNarez posted:

Modiphius did some minor errata on V5, and there was an editing pass on Camarilla and Anarch to remove some of the more offensive poo poo in those books. There's still some very stupid stuff in there, but I would argue that, if you didn't know about the previous leadership and the international incident they caused, you would not know it had been there.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Cable posted:

You still might want to pick up Chicago by night for the extremely good lasombra writeup/ its a good book to read

The Cults of the Blood Gods backer manuscript is also out for all your Giovanni and giovanni adjacent needs, but that's a bit :filez:

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

It does seem like a good benchmark for 'is this good/is it garbo' is 'is the book made by Modiphus or OPP.' If it's the latter, great, if it's the former probably best avoided.

Yep, avoid Modiphus books like the plague

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah the only way this makes sense to me is either he did bad things or management demanded heads as punishment for the delays.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It might not have anything to do with Mitsoda's performance. Cluley was creative lead, not Mitsoda, and they were by all accounts joined at the hip. If Paradox wanted to change the game from Cluley's vision and thus removed Cluley, where does that leave Mitsoda?

The thing that you realize after a few years in project management is that executive buy-in is absolutely key. On the scale of something like Bloodlines 2, projects need c-suite level support. If someone low on the totem pole wants something or has an idea, they'll need to run it up the chain and a lot of the time, almost always, those decisions that require allotment of time and money need a high level exec to say "this is what we're doing" and most crucially, order everyone involved to do what's being asked. Because with big teams, not everyone's on the same page, and if you don't have someone to crack the whip, people in different silos are probably not going to get what they need when they need it.

For that reason, especially big projects tend to be "pets" of executives, an executive adopts a given project, be it a film or game or product, and that is their baby - they make sure it gets organizational resources, and in turn they get the credit if it ends up succeeding. They also get blamed if the project fails. By that same token, if the exec who owns a project departs, or is demoted, or whatever, then that project can suddenly find itself in a lot of trouble. Without that mouthpiece to hype the project to the money men, what was "a cool and promising game" one day becomes "a whole lot of money risked for unclear reasons" the next.

So again, Cluley was the c-suite guy at Hardsuit Labs championing the game as it was a month ago, and he was answerable to Paradox. Mitsoda, by all accounts, was someone that Cluley brought in and was integral to Cluley's vision for Bloodlines 2. But if Paradox lost faith in Cluley (and given his removal from the game despite being the highest-level creative worker in the company, it's extremely likely that's the case), then Mitsoda, whatever the quality of his work, is a baby that goes out with Cluley's bathwater. That kind of poo poo happens all the time. It's hard to believe Paradox when they say they're looking to preserve the creative direction of the game when they've removed the creative leads.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

paradoxGentleman posted:

If anything the trend we have seen (in the limited domain of consumer/media products) seems to be in the other direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi, hello.

Please don't triple-post, it is better to just combine all your quotes into one post. You can do that with the "add quote" button that appears next to all recent posts below the Message entry box when you are on the reply screen. This is not a huge deal but apparently it bothers some folks and is a matter of posting courtesy.

Thank you and have a nice day.