Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ha I forgot about those videos completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Two amateur simracers just got on the podium in an actual F1 GP. Pretty cool, imo.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Taintrunner posted:

So in GT Sport you’re not allowed to play online until you watch 2 racing eittiquette PSAs and agree to a special EULA. The first one is literally, “what is sportsmanship?” as if you are an alien traveler and have never heard of “sports” before in your entire life. As in, they literally define “sports.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5Kvqctiyw

Then the game makes you agree to an EULA where they can ban you at any time if you’re caught driving in a poor sportsmanlike manner. It’s... incredible.

I mean tbf there's probably a good chunk of gamers that have no idea what sportsmanship is

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Sim racing is one of the few competitive video games that has rules that specifically frown upon players not doing whatever they have access to in order to win. BS "gentlemen's rules" in video games are typically ridiculed by highly competitive players in pretty much every game there is... but in sim racing (because it's supposed to be as close to reality as possible) we all want it to be different.

Probably because if was the same as other competitive video games in this regard, sim racing would be the worst thing ever (see most public servers for [insert sim racing game here]). So yeah... I can see how there might be a desire to try to steer gamers away from what they probably either directly or indirectly understand about other competitive video games.

But that video's cringe level was too high for me to get past the 1 minute mark.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

tuo posted:

Two amateur simracers just got on the podium in an actual F1 GP. Pretty cool, imo.
https://twitter.com/LandoNorris/status/1280063250000945154

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Part of me feels like they intentionally showed a close-up of Ayrton Senna immediately after "sportsmanship also means that you don't do things that make you look bad"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Without rules, iracing would be nothing but people who get their irating as close as possible in order to get into the same split so they can crash everyone out so their person can win.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
So, as a total noob, is there an order in which I should edit and test my car's setup in sims? I'm asking for AC/ACC but it probably applies to all sims. In what little I've played so far I've gone 1. Tyre pressure (I'm guessing that this is essential), 2. Gears, 3. Aero, and I haven't come to editing roll bars etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think this is one of those personal preference things but I’ll let someone shout me down. What I tend to notice first and adjust first is sway bar

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The F1 2020 Schumacher Edition makes me both sad and happy. Happy to see so many classic cars represented in the F1 series, including Schumacher's cars, but also sad in that I really miss watching him race and what happened to him was tragic. :(

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The My Team mode in F1 2020 is cool but it's pretty overwhelming with how many upgrade options and currencies there are to accumulate and spend.

It's kinda funny how your mechanics are so needy. If you compliment the power dept they'll work harder but your aero guys will sulk and take longer to upgrade things. Notice me Driver Senpai!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If my only exposure to F1 racing has been the career challenge mode in Motorsport Manager, how do I go about learning how to drive in F1 2020? With all the assists on, I can drive decently well when I'm alone on the track but lol if I can avoid crashing into everyone when it's a full field. I have a good handle on the team management aspect of the sim but are there any good beginner's video YouTubers out there that go over the actual racing part? Like the super basics of understanding how to control DRS, ERS, Shifting, etc all at the same time? I'm loving watching Tiametmarduk and aarva's F1 Let's Plays but obviously they're a bit more
advanced.

Edit: I'm using a controller for now. I don't think I'll get an actual wheel unless I find I'm really into this game.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

How new to sim racing in general are you?

As a general concept, F1 isn't crazy different to any other racing as far as things like shifting goes for example, or avoiding ramming other cars.

I can't help with DRS/ERS because I don't know, but the rest of what you're describing seems less F1 specific and more "new to sim racing/driving a race car" specific.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Fhqwhgads posted:

If my only exposure to F1 racing has been the career challenge mode in Motorsport Manager, how do I go about learning how to drive in F1 2020? With all the assists on, I can drive decently well when I'm alone on the track but lol if I can avoid crashing into everyone when it's a full field. I have a good handle on the team management aspect of the sim but are there any good beginner's video YouTubers out there that go over the actual racing part? Like the super basics of understanding how to control DRS, ERS, Shifting, etc all at the same time? I'm loving watching Tiametmarduk and aarva's F1 Let's Plays but obviously they're a bit more
advanced.

Edit: I'm using a controller for now. I don't think I'll get an actual wheel unless I find I'm really into this game.

Not crashing into anybody will come with practice. You'll both get used to controlling your car and predicting what other drivers are likely to do.

As for specifics: start with driving and shifting. Once you're used to that, start learning the DRS locations for the track. For ERS, leave that for when you are racing and want an instant speed boost.

TL;DR: practice. The time trial mode seems the best for learning to drive without any other distractions.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah, I guess I'm just new to sim racing and F1 in general and F1 grabbed me as being more drivey than managey like Motorsport Manager (I'm more used to management sims than racing sims). I tried turning off all assists and couldn't even keep the car straight right out of the start, which was a shock, but with all assists on it was actually a lot of fun. I guess just practice, practice, practice, then.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Drive with the assists on until you feel like you’re doing well, then start to turn them down/off as you go. Starting with no assists is possible, but will be extremely frustrating if you’re new to sim racing

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm just new to sim racing and F1 in general and F1 grabbed me as being more drivey than managey like Motorsport Manager (I'm more used to management sims than racing sims). I tried turning off all assists and couldn't even keep the car straight right out of the start, which was a shock, but with all assists on it was actually a lot of fun. I guess just practice, practice, practice, then.

I'm in the same boat. I played 30 hours of 2019 but still don't feel all that good at the game.

As for assists, I'd leave on ABS, traction control, Fuel, and ERS. I think the first to turn down is braking assist. If you leave braking assist on high the game will basically do braking for turns for you. Turning it down lower just has the game slow a little bit to try to keep you from not braking at all for a turn and going off the track.

Fuel management isn't all that tricky but I prefer just ignoring it most of the time. You have to use the dpad in menus to change your fuel use from lean/med/rich but if you run rich for too long you can end up without enough fuel to finish the race.

ERS thankfully is much simpler this year. Last year you had to fiddle with a bunch of settings and I thought it was awful. This year it's just "punch this button to boost your engine." If you're getting a hang of just driving it's easier to leave this on auto also.

Turning down traction control is where it gets trickier. Turning this down makes it where you have to gradually increase your throttle to prevent spinning the wheels. If you turn off traction control and downshift to first you'll almost always spin the car.

One other thing I didn't know about until recently is that you can go into audio options and turn on a beep that'll notify you when you should upshift. It's really helpful! I've started using it all of the time in 2020.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Can you turn off all the poo poo tracks in career mode in the new game? Huge if true.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Jolo posted:

Turning down traction control is where it gets trickier. Turning this down makes it where you have to gradually increase your throttle to prevent spinning the wheels. If you turn off traction control and downshift to first you'll almost always spin the car.

This is what really threw me the first time I turned everything off out of curiosity. Lights went out and my car immediately turned sideways and into the wall. All I could do was laugh.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I just did my first F1 race without the racing line. Once I got a bit familiar with the track it felt like I was much more aware of where I could pass and where not to.

I've been doing 50% races but it's much harder to follow how things are playing out across the field regarding pits. Watching F1 on tv you get constant commentary about where people shake out but in game it's kind of a mystery. I pitted a little bit after many others and came out of the pits in last. Then as others pitted throughout the race I just gradually ended up in the front 8. A lot of cars did a two stop strategy and ended up behind me even though they were consistently faster on the track.

One thing that I really struggle with is doing anything in the menus mid race. I'd love to be able to check those menus while paused.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Watch this to learn how to drive properly

https://youtu.be/6-sGV2XXUeU

Edit: also use it for fashion tips.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jolo posted:

I just did my first F1 race without the racing line. Once I got a bit familiar with the track it felt like I was much more aware of where I could pass and where not to.

I used to use the visual racing line to learn a track (or a radically different car type on a track i know) but I found a similar problem, I ended up just always kind of following the line and never really "learning" the track all that well. I switched instead to a sort of 75% driving to suss out braking points and lines on my own, and then would watch a track guide (ideally for the specific class of car) on youtube to fine-tune it. But it always works better if I drive about 10 laps myself before I look at the track guide.

I also recently put a 3 foot markerboard up on the wall right next to my sim rig and I'll draw out a track, number the turns, and mark braking points and other useful cues and notes on it sometimes, that's been somewhat helpful as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just in case you don’t visit the deals thread:

Jolo posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com is giving away copies of F1 2018. Codemasters Formula 1 racing game. It's not as pick up and play as many other racing games, but is a lot of fun if you're willing to take the time to get a handle of how Formula 1 works.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hmm I wonder which version I have

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

anyone who has xbox game pass has access to F12019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Anybody played Automobilista 2?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Cross posting from the extreme sports game thread, but I think these motocross simulators may have a lot of crossover appeal with this thread:

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I've been playing a lot of MX Bikes recently, and its pretty fun. Like the older MX Sim, its applying a 'simulator' style of racing games to motocross and supercross racing but is a much newer game and is available on steam.

This video is a little cheesy but shows the vibe pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVC3EuBIIdM

Riding supercross that smooth is hard as hell, I can usually make it around that track but not riding any big rhythms.

The main difference between MX Bikes or MX Sim and most motocross games is that your control inputs don't control how fast you turn, but how quickly you change your lean angle - almost like you're flying a plane. It sounds weird, but imo feels way closer to the actual experience of riding than most mx or other motorcycle racing games do. You have to be much more concious of set-up, turn in They both also focus heavily on first person view rather than 3rd and it really changes how the game plays. If you like either MX games, riding mountain bikes or dirt bikes in real life, or racing sims in general and thing mx is cool, I'd recommened checking MX Bikes out. Online is super easy and you can find people just chill lapping a track if you want a non-solo vibe but aren't looking to race.

MX Bikes and MX Sim are pretty similar, but I would recommend MX Bikes over Sim - its way newer and much more user friendly and seems like a much more capable engine with potential to grow. Sim however has the more active community with full sim-replica racing of the USA SX and MX plus MXGP seasons, and way more bikes and tracks available. The downside is that the stock tracks in Sim suck, and finding a good beginner track can be hard. MX Bikes is starting to catch up with community tracks and is way more playable mod-free.

If you give it a shot I'd highly recommend watching a controller setup video on YT and maybe a beginners guide video if you're struggling, it takes a while to figure out the control input concept and get used to how the riding works. Start on a 125 or 250f and ride some of the more relaxed tracks and take it easy - almost every jump can be over-jumped if you take them all pinned, the game really rewards flow and rhythm if you want to go fast.

I'm gonna cross post this in the sim racing thread too, but I think it has a lot of cross-over interest.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody played Automobilista 2?

Yes, a lot, it's very good.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Is anybody still playing Dirt Rally 2.0? I just started playing it again on PS4 and I'm hooked all over again. How do club/custom championships work? Do they require all participants to be playing at the same time, or can they last for a day or week like the community events? If it's convenient it might be fun to do some goon events if people are interested.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How's Automobilista in regards to tire and general chassis physics?

--edit: Wait, it's based on Project Cars 2's Madness engine. Well then. I guess still no chassis flex.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 22, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have no idea about whether chassis flex is modelled but given Reiza's history of making engines do stuff they were never meant to I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Bear in mind AMS2 runs on a heavily modified version of Madness with their own physics system inserted. Also today they're adding the Mclaren MP4/12 for free and have been able to implement its double brake system, so when driving it the normal brake pedal acts like normal, but the clutch pedal will activate the steering brake which is a second brake biased towards the right side of the car to make the car turn better through right hand turns.
https://twitter.com/ReizaStudios/status/1296913277478408193
https://twitter.com/ReizaStudios/status/1297178851831840775

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

giogadi posted:

Is anybody still playing Dirt Rally 2.0? I just started playing it again on PS4 and I'm hooked all over again. How do club/custom championships work? Do they require all participants to be playing at the same time, or can they last for a day or week like the community events? If it's convenient it might be fun to do some goon events if people are interested.

I've been playing more PCars 2 / iRacing of late just favoring open wheel, but I pop into Dirt Rally 2 from time to time because I do love rally too and its a drat good VR sim for sure.

No idea about championships though I haven't bothered with multi in Rally.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have AMS2 and while you can tell it has P Cars DNA it does feel different enough to be a valid buy, imo.
It's a good time

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder how close they're following the Madness engine in regards to code drops, and whether SMS dropped the new things into "public". They boast about having added driveline flexing for PCARS3, which supposedly fixes/improves a lot of tire weirdness related to engine power ramping.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wonder how close they're following the Madness engine in regards to code drops, and whether SMS dropped the new things into "public". They boast about having added driveline flexing for PCARS3, which supposedly fixes/improves a lot of tire weirdness related to engine power ramping.

They're not, they got the post-PCars 2 engine code and worked with Slightly Mad for about a year to learn how it worked and modified it for their own purposes. It's best to think of the AMS2 version of the engine as a fork, being developed further by Reiza for whatever they need completely seperate from whatever SMS are doing with it for PCars 3. Basically the same way they worked on the ISIMotor engine for AMS1.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
AMS2 is 25% off right now at $29.99. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1066890/Automobilista_2/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bought! The season pass price is poop, but it sounds like it doesn't really matter, there is plenty of content and you can buy the tracks separately.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does AMS2 have any decent AI?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, it was a bit rough early on but its massively improved since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Cojawfee posted:

Does AMS2 have any decent AI?

Apparently it's pretty decent, even for multiclass racing. Once this stupid market hold clears and I sell this $25 CS:GO crate I will buy it and report back. BTW hi sim racing goons, I am a sim racing goon. I got full Fanatec Clubsport on a Playseat Challenge, race in VR exclusively, and am joining the iRacing Le Mans series next season. glad 2 be here happy 2 help :)