Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I don't know why anyone responded in earnest to the guy who said he would make ice cream with ginger instead of sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

prayer group posted:

I don't know why anyone responded in earnest to the guy who said he would make ice cream with ginger instead of sugar.
Because it's an interesting question and a valid choice to go low or no sugar?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PetraCore posted:

Because it's an interesting question and a valid choice to go low or no sugar?

yes which is why i responded but petracore is right; "no sugar, i know, ginger" will lead to terrible ice cream.

now, on the other hand, ginger ice cream is good...but it needs to be sweet.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Oh man, growing up in Michigan we'd make vanilla ice cream floats with Vernors ginger ale and call it a Boston Cooler. No idea why it's called that, but a Boston Cooler ice cream with ginger and vanilla would be really good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

prayer group posted:

Oh man, growing up in Michigan we'd make vanilla ice cream floats with Vernors ginger ale and call it a Boston Cooler. No idea why it's called that, but a Boston Cooler ice cream with ginger and vanilla would be really good.

would. we just had brown/black cows (root beer floats) and red cows (red cream soda floats).

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

SweetBro posted:

Considering getting into making ice cream. Is it worth it to invest in one of those $300 high tech churners or are like $80 variants good enough?

I got an ice cream maker a couple months ago and love it so much. I went with one of the more expensive models that doesn't require pre-freezing a bowl, and I'm really glad I did. I personally wouldn't use it as often if I also had to mess around with that. I also don't have much extra freezer space (especially once I started filling it with batches of ice cream I make every weekend :dance: ). The process of making the custard and then the ice cream is a bit of time and effort, and I don't want extra hassle.

I love being able to experiment with different flavours and make stuff like Bastani or pumpernickel ice cream. It's a lot of fun, and it's just so good. I really enjoy how many different recipes I've been making.

There is a big downside though...

I eat so much ice cream now :randstare:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It will balance out once you get tired of the work required to make each quart and the money for the ingredients and you start making them less often

In the meantime here are some ideas:
- habanero peach ice cream, first it burns and then the fat washes the heat away
- mango lassi ice cream with lime zest when you serve it
- pannetone bread ice cream
- bone marrow ice cream
- sanguinaccio (pig blood) ice cream
- buttermilk apple whiskey and cherry ice cream
- kulfi ice cream
- avocado ice cream with honey topping, weird and earthy but worth trying once
- saffron cardamom almond ginger gelato.
- gorgonzola or mozzarella gelato
- fish sauce caramel ice cream

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Theres a place near me that does amazing ice creams and always has at least one "experimental" flavor in the works. The best two were Pink Peppercorn and Pickled Ginger, and Apple Butter. Creamed corn was an interesting idea in theory but honestly the flavor was too spot on to actually be good. They also hit the smores flavor with a smoke gun right before serving and its incredible.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Sweet corn ice cream is really good

Place I used to work at we made a variety of savory sorbets that got served on top of oysters.
Cocktail sauce sorbet, Wasabi, cucumber/dill(might as well call it pickle sorbet) also did a pink peppercorn granita that would also get served sometimes as a pre dessert with a pineapple sorbet.

Different place I worked at I used the herbs growing on the property to make wood sorrel ice cream, lemon balm sorbet, nasturtium ice cream that would get the dehydrated flowers sprinkled on top.

We were also really slow at one time and I used my sourdough starter and sorbet base and made a sourdough sorbet. Me and the one other chef thought it was really interesting but the executive chef couldn't wrap his head around it so it never made it on the menu.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Jalapeno vanilla ice cream with dulce de leche ribbon and dry cherries rehydrated in mezcal

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i just want to chime in again with a defense of freezer bowl ice cream makers. they will often beat out compressor machines below the musso level. they're also a lot easier to clean, as some compressor machines don't allow for removing the bowl in which the ice cream is made. they're super easy to use and make good ice cream. honestly the only pre planning you have to do is freezing and i scrape out my ice cream (into a bowl for hardening), rinse out the bowl, and put it back in the freezer. it's very manageable.

if you really want a compressor machine, by all means buy one. i just don't want people to think they're at all required to make good or easy ice cream.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

They're also a great excuse to get a garage fridge/freezers so you can keep the bowl frozen the whole time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

They're also a great excuse to get a garage fridge/freezers so you can keep the bowl frozen the whole time

agreed but i bought the accessory freezer for zero defrost storage of a quarter beef and premade foods. i actually keep the ice cream bowls in the kitchen freezer :V

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
just eating a lot of peanut butter lately :yuck: Skippy is the worst, always choose Jif.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

excellent bird guy posted:

just eating a lot of peanut butter lately :yuck: Skippy is the worst, always choose Jif.

Excellent opinion from excellent bird guy.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Peanut butter’s pretty easy to make yourself if you have a decent blender/processor.
Just peanuts and a bit of salt, blend and you get peanut butter.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

All peanut butter is horrible

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Correct, except in curries and noodle sauces.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

You are a person without taste and class. I'd pity you, but that would lower me to your plebian level.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey this bitch doesn’t have a compressor on their ice cream machine

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You are a person without taste and class. I'd pity you, but that would lower me to your plebian level.

Close

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You are British, and thus my intellectual and spiritual superior, marmalade is better

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Does anybody else open up a canned drink and take 4 or 5 sips, set it down then forget about it? Because that is totally what I do every time :cheerdoge:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I just stick with the Kroger/Ralph's store brand kind, it's usually perfectly good for a fair amount cheaper than the name brands(same with a lot of their fruit spreads and their store brand equivalent of Nutella)

On the topic of store brands, Albertsons has the worst store brand soda I've ever had the misfortune of drinking

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I used to like you.

I always liked Wiggles.

Peanut butter (or as my son calls it, nutter peter) is delicious, but it has to be the good stuff. There’s a very good palm-oil free brand here called Pip & Nut; we buy 1kg tubs of the stuff. Paired with good honey and it’s amazing. I like crunchy only for eating straight from the tub.
Making nut butters using a good processor is great. I think the best I’ve done is Brazil nuts and roasted cashews. It’s pricy though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t understand how people eat peanut butter without salt. almost all the Canadian peanut butter is unsalted. terrible.

pb chat: food processors make pretty good but butters, though a wet grinder is where it’s at. also: pecan butter is everything you like about peanut butter, except better.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nut butter

Lmfao

That is all

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I put channa masala in a dutch baby

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Chaat!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.theonion.com/fda-defends-decision-to-reclassify-alternative-milks-as-1827722953

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Scientastic posted:

Close

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You are British, and thus my intellectual and spiritual superior, marmalade is better

:hmmyes:

I started making marmalade with grapefruit, naval orange, blood orange, lemon and lime and there is no going back noooow

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Does anybody else open up a canned drink and take 4 or 5 sips, set it down then forget about it? Because that is totally what I do every time :cheerdoge:

This but with tea.....

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

sweat poteto posted:

Correct, except in curries and noodle sauces.

Peanut Butter goes on hamburgers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Liquid Communism posted:

I tried this in New Orleans and while I wouldn’t ask for one if someone put one in front of me I’d definitely eat it again

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Liquid Communism posted:

Peanut butter in savoury dishes is fantastic.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Peanut butter (choosy moms choosy Jif ) is fan tastic for smoothies. I have the Vitamex and loaded that sucker up when I for like medical/procedural reasons had to not eat solid foods.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Peanut butter in savoury dishes is fantastic.

aside from things like satays and groundnut soups, etc., i am partial, from my school lad days, to dipping a toasted peanut butter sandwich into chili

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mediaphage posted:

aside from things like satays and groundnut soups, etc., i am partial, from my school lad days, to dipping a toasted peanut butter sandwich into chili

Oh that actually sounds really good. Never thought of that

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Steve Yun posted:

I tried this in New Orleans and while I wouldn’t ask for one if someone put one in front of me I’d definitely eat it again

Works best on homemade burgers. Get something high-fat for the grind so you can get the outside crispy while it stays juicy, then throw it on a peanutbuttered bun straight off the grill so it'll melt.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Peanut butter on a burger is pretty common in the mid west and it's called a Goober Burger in alot of places I have seen.

It's delicious and I'll do that at home now and then when I grill burgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rythe posted:

Peanut butter on a burger is pretty common in the mid west and it's called a Goober Burger in alot of places I have seen.

It's delicious and I'll do that at home now and then when I grill burgers.

Can't imagine ordering something called that, maybe a pet peeve but wish places would name their menu like adults if it's adult food.