Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I like to think there's enough aviation nerds that you could actually make a reasonably popular show just following normal-rear end pilots doing typical flights without trying to import drama. Look at the guys like steveo1kinevo, his youtube videos are popular enough that he often gets shoutouts from other aircraft and controllers on frequency. Have a rotation of a few guys like him in a variety of different roles, and you've got a series.

I don't watch Airplane Repo because it's obviously fabricated bullshit. And I don't watch Ice Pilots NWT because Buffalo and the way they operate can eat my whole rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

I like to think there's enough aviation nerds that you could actually make a reasonably popular show just following normal-rear end pilots doing typical flights without trying to import drama. Look at the guys like steveo1kinevo, his youtube videos are popular enough that he often gets shoutouts from other aircraft and controllers on frequency. Have a rotation of a few guys like him in a variety of different roles, and you've got a series.

I don't watch Airplane Repo because it's obviously fabricated bullshit. And I don't watch Ice Pilots NWT because Buffalo and the way they operate can eat my whole rear end.

The Aviators did a pretty good job of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aviators

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I think I know the answer, but I'm going to ask anyway cause it drives me nuts every time: flying into a towered airport, tower clears you, you land, tower gives you taxi instructions to parking but does not say 'monitor ground' or 'switch to ground'. Do you stay on with tower until you're out of movement areas, or do you switch to ground when you start taxiing?

I stay on tower and develop crippling anxiety I'm doing it wrong FWIW.

edit: I actually know I'm right, just don't like it lol

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Monitor ground means switch over to and listen to ground frequency but don’t expect to talk to them unless you screw up your directions.

Depending on time of day, staffing, and activity levels, sometimes ground IS tower.

I often get monitor ground when ATC knows my airplane and destinations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I think I know the answer, but I'm going to ask anyway cause it drives me nuts every time: flying into a towered airport, tower clears you, you land, tower gives you taxi instructions to parking but does not say 'monitor ground' or 'switch to ground'. Do you stay on with tower until you're out of movement areas, or do you switch to ground when you start taxiing?

I stay on tower and develop crippling anxiety I'm doing it wrong FWIW.

edit: I actually know I'm right, just don't like it lol

It means the guy working local is also working ground. No reason to have you switch frequencies. In fact, it’s easier for him to have everyone on one frequency.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah my ground and tower are the same, but they still holler at you if you talk to the wrong one. Also they'll tell one person 'monitor ground' and then not tell the next.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Do what they tell you, that way you can't be wrong. Don't assume you can guess their intentions, but you can always ask if you want to be sure.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think it also depends on exactly where you're going on a given airport.

At my home base, we frequently get "taxi to the gate, monitor ground" (or just "taxi to the gate"), since our gates are right across from where we exit the runway, but other airlines or GA aircraft often get "contact ground", since they're taxiing a longer distance to parking and there's more than one way to get where they're going.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The obvious solution is to taxi fast to get yourself out of this stressful situation.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Yeah my ground and tower are the same, but they still holler at you if you talk to the wrong one. Also they'll tell one person 'monitor ground' and then not tell the next.

If tower gives me taxi instructions and does not hand me to ground, I follow those and stay with them. This is the most common way it works at my airport -- the same guy is usually handling tower and ground, and transmitting on both frequencies at once, so I guess it just saves a couple of calls for you to just stay on tower if he knows you're a local and don't need any help getting to parking.

If tower says nothing after landing, rather than asking for a frequency change I think I would just contact ground myself, though I'm not sure what the AIM says about that. I should look it up.

I notice a similar situation taxiing back during pattern work. One class D airport around here has you switch between ground and tower and do the whole rigamarole every time around. Another airport will say "each time taxi back via Z remain this frequency," which is a clear instruction while being a nice time-saver. And at my local field tower will just call "taxi K to 30" while you're still rolling out, which kind of bugs me but I've gotten used to it.

"Monitor ground" also seems to be a random bit of spice they use for some airplanes and not others. At my airport I would guess they stick it in procedurally when they know you're just another flight school plane and are gonna be fine getting to parking but someone is actually working the ground channel.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 9, 2020

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

And I don't watch Ice Pilots NWT because Buffalo and the way they operate can eat my whole rear end.

One of my favourite parts of the brief pilot shortage was watching Mikey on CBC whining about how they can't staff their operation. Bitch, you guys had a TV series whose whole premise was based around how much you abuse your staff. We were on track to kill off a lot of the 703/4 trash before Covid hit, now trash like Buffalo, SkyScare, Bravo, are all going to get a second wind.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Desi posted:

One of my favourite parts of the brief pilot shortage was watching Mikey on CBC whining about how they can't staff their operation. Bitch, you guys had a TV series whose whole premise was based around how much you abuse your staff. We were on track to kill off a lot of the 703/4 trash before Covid hit, now trash like Buffalo, SkyScare, Bravo, are all going to get a second wind.

Why anyone would want to work for them is beyond my comprehension and that's for someone who rediscovered the series after he started working in aviation. Their ladder system is the dumbest thing imaginable.

Not flight staff, but when the cargo manager finally said screw this, I couldn't blame her.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's one thing having terrible hiring practices for a desirable job -- I mean, it's still bad but it's understandable. It's quite another thing to both be a prick and offer terrible pay and working conditions and act like people should kiss your feet for the privilege of working for them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Aviation megathread: it's still bad but it's understandable

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hi aviation thread!

I'm just getting back into it since 2007. Back then I just had my XC solo and checkride for my PPL, plus probably a few extra flights to pad time because I only had 34.1 hours but was doing really well. My intention was to get my IR, multiengine, and commercial. My ex-wife's dad was a corporate pilot and I was just going to follow his path. However, my mood crashed. Bad. I gave everything up and was later diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2012. I decided on a whim to check out the medical requirements about flying last week and welp, can't get a PPL with that. Which SUCKS and there's about zero chance I could get a waiver. However a sport pilot's license doesn't require a medical so I can get that. I really don't like the limitations and it still hasn't fully hit me that I can't completely accomplish my lifelong dream of getting a PPL and possibly going further. But I'll just get my sport pilot and take it from there (basically grief/acceptance).

So anyway, last week I decided to look into flying again and just decided in about 2 minutes to get back into it. Called the place and was in the air 2 days later. I'm extremely lucky to have a sport pilot training group by me with actual planes to rent. They're the closest in the entire Wisconsin/Northern IL area (I think) and are about 25 minutes from me. I forgot everything. I mean just about everything. We went up for the first flight and I started to get a feel for it pretty drat quick. By the second flight I can take off, do basic flight, and maybe 50% land. The DNC is in Milwaukee so I'm grounded until Friday so I've just been studying all week. Man, those Flight Design CTLS's are just a slightly bit upgraded from the 1977 Cessna 172 I learned on. :haw:

I'm really excited to be doing something with my life again. The bipolar really screwed me and I haven't done anything since 2012. I don't work at all. So to finally be working towards a goal that not everyone can accomplish that takes skill and knowledge is doing absolute wonders for my life. I haven't felt this good in a decade.

I just wanted to announce that I'm here and glad I just found this thread.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 19, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Back when I was instructing, I had a student who was on antidepressants but probably didn't need them (they'd been prescribed in the aftermath of a messy divorce a few years earlier), and despite having letters from various medical professionals saying he wasn't depressed and had no mental health issues, the FAA still made him wait six months from when he quit taking the drug before they'd issue a medical.

The infuriating part is that this was the "new and improved" mental health policies in the wake of Germanwings (which meant the FAA was caught up to about the 1980's on mental health issues) so I can almost guarantee there's just as many pilots flying who aren't getting the help they need as there were before Germanwings happened.

It sucks that the FAA so behind the times on mental health stuff, but I'm glad you found a way to fly that isn't just omitting stuff on your medical form.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was (am) considering doing that. I set up an appointment with an AME two days ago after calling about 8 different places and finding someone over an hour away who would do it this month. I thought better about it and cancelled a few hours later. I know they probably won't find out unless they actually investigate my individual case but that's a huge risk to take. Right now I can get a sport pilot license without a medical. If I take a medical and get denied, I can no longer even obtain a sport license. So that just permanently grounds me. I'm technically disabled and there was a case a few years ago where a lot of pilots were on disability but still had medical licenses. They just randomly checked the records and boom, matched em up. I think a few thousand pilots were found.

It's just a big risk to take and I should probably be happy with what I got right now.

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was (am) considering doing that. I set up an appointment with an AME two days ago after calling about 8 different places and finding someone over an hour away who would do it this month. I thought better about it and cancelled a few hours later. I know they probably won't find out unless they actually investigate my individual case but that's a huge risk to take. Right now I can get a sport pilot license without a medical. If I take a medical and get denied, I can no longer even obtain a sport license. So that just permanently grounds me. I'm technically disabled and there was a case a few years ago where a lot of pilots were on disability but still had medical licenses. They checked the records and boom, matched em up.

It's just a big risk to take and I should probably be happy with what I got right now.

I'm kind of in the same boat for stuff that hasn't been an issue in 16 years. I was basically told I'd spend around $7500, a year of waiting, and they still might deny me regardless of what the doctors say (and if they did issue me one I would have to do the same thing every year). I decided to just work on the Sport next year and hope things eventually change at the FAA before I'm in a nursing home.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Really anyone that wants to fly that hasn’t spent 6 months on meds should be considered suspect.

Call it FAR part 22

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

A lot of the airline pilots I have met would lose their medical if a psychiatrist sat down and talked to them for 5 minutes.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

gently caress it, do it. Bring back the pilot shortage :getin:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

The way I see it if you feel comfortable resuming lessons wedged rear end to elbow with some rando during a pandemic you’re probably not mentally fit to fly in the first place. Catch-19 if you will.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Animal posted:

A lot of the airline pilots I have met would lose their medical if a psychiatrist sat down and talked to them for 5 minutes.

Probably the hardest part of the widget interview process for some guys.

People thought I was crazy that I wanted to become an airline pilot after 9/11 and then sticking with it during the Great Recession. I brushed them off.

Now after Covid I’d tell anyone thinking of joining this career the same thing they told me. Don’t.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

:gary: FREIGHT DOG FOREVER

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

:gary: FREIGHT DOG FOREVER

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've had worse Monday mornings...

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Outstanding.

The dark side, it calls to me....
thwip, thwip, thwip, thwip .... give me allll your moneyyyy...

chuff, chuff, chuff, chuff ... I don’t really crash that much more often than aiiirplaneeees...

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

this is awesome, very jealous

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Animal posted:

Have you had a coworker tell you about the Protocols of the Elders of Zion while slurring his words due to being drunk as a skunk? I have! He's also got opinions about LGBT people. Spoiler: they're not good!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PT6A posted:

Have you had a coworker tell you about the Protocols of the Elders of Zion while slurring his words due to being drunk as a skunk? I have! He's also got opinions about LGBT people. Spoiler: they're not good!

I’ve recently had a guy tell me about how the actual NAZI party survived the war and how they have a base in Antarctica, then he also talked about the worldwide Jewish conspiracy that put both the Clintons and Trump in power. Next day he emailed me a bunch of links to hour long youtube videos detailing each conspiracy. He also believes in numerology and he spends his free time “researching” holy texts to find the code for the universe.

Not only is he an airline captain, he flies B-1’s for the Air Force.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
1. Monday morning helicopter solos are categorically the best way to spend a Monday morning.

2. Re: the crazy views of some of your colleagues: Christ on a bike. 😮

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I flew with a moon landing hoaxer.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Reztes posted:

Outstanding.

The dark side, it calls to me....
thwip, thwip, thwip, thwip .... give me allll your moneyyyy...

chuff, chuff, chuff, chuff ... I don’t really crash that much more often than aiiirplaneeees...

Having now done (practice) forced landings in both fixed and helicopter, I'll take the helicopter ones any day. Hell, how many PFL's have you done all the way to the ground in a fixed wing? (Not on the runway).
Same with emergencies in general..got an electric failure? Even fire? Well, we'll just land.
Also this:
" Helicopter crashes, however, are less likely to kill you: The fatality rate in helicopter crashes is 1.3 deaths per 100,000 flight hours versus 1.4 deaths for aircraft in general."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2009/10/why-are-helicopters-always-crashing.html

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

I’ve recently had a guy tell me about how the actual NAZI party survived the war and how they have a base in Antarctica, then he also talked about the worldwide Jewish conspiracy that put both the Clintons and Trump in power. Next day he emailed me a bunch of links to hour long youtube videos detailing each conspiracy. He also believes in numerology and he spends his free time “researching” holy texts to find the code for the universe.

Not only is he an airline captain, he flies B-1’s for the Air Force.

I love flying with him so much.

Ask him about the Free Masons the next time you see him.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I love flying with him so much.

Ask him about the Free Masons the next time you see him.

I had a feeling you would have met him already. I think he mentioned the Freemasons but I didn’t have much time with him left so I stopped him and asked him to please tell me more about how the NAZI’s are still out there in space.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:hfive: dc bros. show those bose guys how it's done

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Having now done (practice) forced landings in both fixed and helicopter, I'll take the helicopter ones any day. Hell, how many PFL's have you done all the way to the ground in a fixed wing? (Not on the runway).
Same with emergencies in general..got an electric failure? Even fire? Well, we'll just land.
Also this:
" Helicopter crashes, however, are less likely to kill you: The fatality rate in helicopter crashes is 1.3 deaths per 100,000 flight hours versus 1.4 deaths for aircraft in general."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2009/10/why-are-helicopters-always-crashing.html

poo poo yeah, I will take a helicopter over a fixed wing in the event of an engine failure any day. Only needing to find a clearing big enough to physically fit the helicopter into in extreme situations (not that vertical autos are ideal), and being able to touch down with little to no speed is way better than having to touch down at or above stall speed in a fixed wing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ll just take two engines thanks.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

e.pilot posted:

I’ll just take two engines thanks.

Well, hopefully I'll get to that too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qp0eMORDVc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any of you that don’t fly much ever try to get a second job, maybe something online?

My 91/135 job has become a 91 job due to contract changes with the owners. It looks like I might be flying a lot less for the same salary.

I wish I got a degree in accounting or something before going to aviation.