Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I enjoyed Picard, fully cognizant of an in spite of its flaws, and while I wish it was better and hope they get their poo poo together better for Season 2 and 3 now that they’ve seen the reaction to the first season, it’s not the worst thing ever created in the history of the universe—hell, in the history of Trek. Nothing Alex Kurtzman has bungled his way through has come close to Code of Honor, Threshold, or A Night In Sickbay yet. So all these people setting themselves on fire over an ultimately “okay, not great, but okay” Trek show is eternally perplexing to me. But then again Trek has a long and storied history of nerds setting themselves righteously ablaze over [trek thing they don’t like]. So whatever.

It could be better, it does some things I really disagree with and goes off half cocked, but I can still sit down and watch and enjoy individual episodes of it because it’s got an amazing cast and it’s fun in the right places.

Alex Kurtzman needs to be knocked free of this franchise with a pavement scraper though, I’m with ya’ll on that one.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

The Riker/Picard episode was great.

That episode was a long and boring handjob, I think I checked out mentally after Riker burned the pizza. I understand why people liked it, like I have a heart but watching that was like chugging a bottle of corn syrup and declaring it's Christmas

E: say what you want about episodes like threshold at least they are mercifully over after about 40 minutes, they don't drag their inane storytelling or character development across an entire season that goes nowhere and relies almost entirely on fan service and plagiarism to carry it.

And do we really know that Alex kurtzman is the biggest problem behind the scenes? After reading that chabon guy's Instagram defenses of the Picard show I don't think their hiring practices are so poo poo hot over there.

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 19, 2020

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

The Bloop posted:

Oh, the Discovery method

Discovery is like one of those continue-the-story threads where you write a paragraph and then pass it on to the next person who gets to write a paragraph before passing it on and so on.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don’t think anything in Trek has failed to deliver on its premise harder than Voyager. I tried to do a re-watch of all of Trek and Voyager was just excruciating, especially while watched in tandem with Deep Space Nine. I still haven’t gotten through all of it.

That said, I’ve never watched Enterprise, so...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mooseontheloose posted:

As was the Picard/Data scene near the end. I'm pretty sure the whole creative effort was an attempt to set up that specific scene. it kinda worked.

And of course, leaving Number One and the two Romulans back at the chateau was inexcusable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mllaneza posted:

As was the Picard/Data scene near the end. I'm pretty sure the whole creative effort was an attempt to set up that specific scene. it kinda worked.

And of course, leaving Number One and the two Romulans back at the chateau was inexcusable.

Raffi and Laris really should have been combined into a single character. It would have solved a lot of problems with both of them, namely Laris disappearing with no fanfare and Raffi coming out of nowhere and having no real reason to work with Picard, especially after he ghosted her for 14 years.

I also thought the scenes with Picard and Young Elnor were good. People were like “aaagh, but Picard hates children! What are you doing Kurtzman! Ruined forever! Blaarg!”, but I thought it really made sense given Picard’s post-TNG development. His brother and nephew dying kind of fundamentally shook up the way he looked at family, children, and his life choices regarding each of them. It made him realize that maybe he did want kids and family after all, but he made a mistake in turning away from that and it was too late now. So it makes sense in a way that in his weirdo space grandpa phase he’d maybe be a little more open with at least one kid or so as a means to try and make up for lost time. I dunno.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Picard/Data scene sucked because nothing that came before or after it supported. It makes the whole knockoff Mass Effect plot a shaggy dog story just to get Picard in place to say goodbye to Data unrelated to anything else that has happened in the plot and then Picard pisses over the entire moral of Data's death anyway by cheating his own at the end of a long life well lived. The sheer incompetence of the final episode is worse than anything else in the show and there was alot of competition.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love how Narek just literally disappears midway through the final episode and with his actor not returning for Season 2, he’s just loving gone for good now. Chabon explained it with “Oh, he was arrested by Starfleet, but we cut the scene for time” and I was like “The show is on a streaming service. You don’t have to fit it in a network schedule, you can run long if you want to, what the fu”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

It really looked like they were setting up to something about trying to rebuild hope and optimism and creating a world of Ex-Bees and Free Droids coming together to create new life and new civilization that the Federation should embrace while also talking about living to your ideals when you've lost so much but they kinda just messed it up. I liked most of Picard's characters but it didn't gel. I am hoping they can fix a lot of that in season 2.

Oh man an ending where the synths and XBs help each other and form a new world together and then the Federation is all 'aaah our enemies are allying' but they just end up guilting the Federation by being what the Federation used to be would be great.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

That said, I’ve never watched Enterprise, so...
It was fine.

The premise of Enterprise is "Trek before TOS" and it delivered pretty well visually.
No phasers yet! No photon torpedos! No shields! No transporters!!!

The problem was that the writers were insanely lazy and immediately fell back on all the familiar trek shorthand
A single experimental cargo transporter gets used for people in the first episode
Phase Canons are online
Photonic Torpedoes!

and the worst offender:

Hull Plating is at 62 percent!

ugh

Like, it never really made sense how the shield percentages worked, but we knew that smaller percentage = worse and it raised the tension.
Doing that with literal physical hull plating is possibly the laziest piece of writing in Trek history (or just history)

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Elnor is in the wrong genre, but dag nab it there is something about him that is just adorable.

I seriously want him to interact with Worf next season. :)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, Enterprise is the King of poo poo Mountain when it comes to squandering an awesome premise. Voyager is merely the Queen.

And that entirely comes down to Rick Berman being a meddlesome hack, and Brannon Braga just being burned the gently caress out when it came to writing Star Trek because he’d been at it for 15 years at that point and was running on empty. Bringing in new hands like Manny Coto helped right the ship, but the bow was already underwater by the at point so it wasn’t enough to save it.

I have this image in my head of what Enterprise could have been, and it’s amazing, but it’s not what we got. It also has the best main theme of any Trek show, no Faith of the Heart.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Faith of the Heart is fine

Honestly I can't believe people willing to talk in depth about star trek on the internet take themselves so seriously that a little earnest corn sets them right off

I still maintain that Picard (so far) is the king of squandered promise. We all want post TNG and they had genuinely interesting plot hooks but then *faaaart*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Faith of the Heart is fine

Honestly I can't believe people willing to talk in depth about star trek on the internet take themselves so seriously that a little earnest corn sets them right off

I still maintain that Picard (so far) is the king of squandered promise. We all want post TNG and they had genuinely interesting plot hooks but then *faaaart*

Faith of the Heart really captures that kind of “Chuck Yeager In Space” feel that Enterprise started out with but quickly abandoned, but my god Archer’s Theme just blows it away by every metric.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yeah. They were going to try so hard not to have it just be nostalgia wanking but the nostalgia wank episode was the best one, they should've just committed to the bit.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Fat riker making pizza in the woods was the only positive of that poo poo house show. I was disappointed when Riker came back in the end that his pizza oven wasn't sitting behind the captain's chair.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Honestly, I’d do a supercut of Picard tending the vineyard and arguing with Laris, then dropping in on Troi and Riker, and then visiting Data’s remains. Picard in retirement.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Picard, in winter. Timbah, at rest.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ashpanash posted:

Picard, in winter. Timbah, at rest.

Kurtzman and Goldsman, in the studio

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skasion posted:

Kurtzman and Goldsman, in the studio

JJ, his orbs red

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Remember how there was randomly this space pirate romulan guy who we never saw flying around in a TOS-era Bird of Prey for like 5 minutes before getting wrecked and never showing up again? What was the point of that?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MichiganCubbie posted:

Remember how there was randomly this space pirate romulan guy who we never saw flying around in a TOS-era Bird of Prey for like 5 minutes before getting wrecked and never showing up again? What was the point of that?

So they could put the TOS Bird of prey in the trailer.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

MichiganCubbie posted:

Made for a cool teaser?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Remember when Picard deliberately caused a race scene and provoked a guy into getting murdered just to get his abandoned ward's attention?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

multijoe posted:

Remember when Picard deliberately caused a race scene and provoked a guy into getting murdered just to get his abandoned ward's attention?

unfortunately, yes, I remember it all too much

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Faith of the Heart really captures that kind of “Chuck Yeager In Space” feel that Enterprise started out with but quickly abandoned, but my god Archer’s Theme just blows it away by every metric.

My pet theory is that they had both scores ready for the theme and then when four or five episodes came out of the editing can they were like “... oh yeah okay this is definitely more of a Rod Stewart show”

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOK_NCM0kko

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They should have just cut Elnor and Raffi out of the show. They had so little to do that you could have easily written around their parts and nothing would have really changed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Martytoof posted:

My pet theory is that they had both scores ready for the theme and then when four or five episodes came out of the editing can they were like “... oh yeah okay this is definitely more of a Rod Stewart show”

I mean...

I love the Generations main theme, but it’s too inescapably TNG-sounding to really fit with Enterprise.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can we all at least agree that Faith of the Heart wasn’t the worst thing to happen in September of 2001? :ohdear:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

no

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Can we all at least agree that Faith of the Heart wasn’t the worst thing to happen in September of 2001? :ohdear:

:thurman:

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
The hubris of into darkness is worse then faith of the heart.

I'm not supposed to giggle when spock and khan were fighting on the top of a shuttle. :p

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

That's unfair, as I learned today, Nickleback released their 3rd album in September 2001.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

shades of eternity posted:

The hubris of into darkness is worse then faith of the heart.

I'm not supposed to giggle when spock and khan were fighting on the top of a shuttle. :p

It wasn't even a shuttle, it was a garbage truck

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. They were going to try so hard not to have it just be nostalgia wanking but the nostalgia wank episode was the best one, they should've just committed to the bit.

because they were fully realized characters, talking about the end of their run and it all made sense!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Oh man an ending where the synths and XBs help each other and form a new world together and then the Federation is all 'aaah our enemies are allying' but they just end up guilting the Federation by being what the Federation used to be would be great.

Yeah. Rather than the Avengers robo-squid portal they could have been in communication with xb's, and they were contacting the cube drawing it to their planet leading to a peaceful alliance like that.

So much wasted potential.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Episode 3 was pretty good.

Mariner still bad.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 20, 2020

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

finally........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Ramadu posted:

finally........

This is fuckin' spectacular.

I thought this episode was good but not as strong as last week's. Ransom's shimmering body and repeated double hand punch usage was amazing however.

Boimler happily whistling the TNG theme while in the turbolift was a pretty great tiny 4th wall break.