Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Complications posted:

Weapons and dedicated defenses because you are going to be attacked.

Mortar battery, a few pawns equipped with snipers, others with chain shotguns/miniguns as per your base’s defense chokepoint.

Otherwise... consider Identifying a money making industry you want to go down - hard drugs, food, art. Maybe clothing. Start getting a group of caravan animals, consider making friends with every faction you can do you can trade with them - comm console to call them over, your animals for caravaning over.

That’s to get you to your end goal, whatever it is - getting off planet, making a long term colony, whatever.

I tend to like psychoid related stuff (usually tea), muffalos as caravan animals, making clothing out of muffalo wool to sell and train up crafters, and making art out of wood, marble, or silver (depending on skill of crafter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Seconding weapons. Once things are going well for you from the start, you want to stay ahead of the danger curve. Strong guns is a big part of that. Turrets help a lot too. Mid game comforts to work towards:

Nice bedrooms. A bed, comfort items, art, nice flooring/carpet, spacious, per colonist/couple.

Nice rec/dining room. Multiple recreation types, really nice place to sit and eat. This and bedrooms are the baseline for daily mood.

Nice research room. You want high tech research bench and room to add beneficial furniture around it(i.e. multi-analyzer.) Sterile tiles work here.

Dedicated odd crafting spots. Do you have an efficient chemfuel refining room for insect meat? Do you have a spot to gather steel slag chunk and burn it into usable steel? How about mass stone production next to art benches? I like to mass produce art if I have a lot of extra colonists and sell everything under a certain grade. Separate chemfuel/flammable storages are also smart.

Prison. A better prison. A large prison with recreation, table to eat, spacious cells, private cells, nice beds with comfort items, etc will make prisoners recruit faster and jail break less. You can also mod in prison labor and such. Or do hospital developments for better organ harvesting.

Hospital. A dedicated space with mid game research for hospital beds and late game research for things that boost immunity gain and surgery success chance. Sterile tile too.

Nice kitchen. Sterile tile reduces sneak food poisoning from dirt caused by entering the room, separate your butchery into a separate room if you haven't already. If you mod in more complicated food prep like Vanilla Expanded you'll need more room and spots for fancier stuff like cheese and stew. You can also set up an emergency deep freeze food stash. It raises colony wealth but if you're worried about megaton bad events(especially modded ones like Global Warming/Ice Age) then you might want that back up, like a massive harvest of corn.

Full hygiene set up. This is mod only, Dubs Bad Hygiene. But once I'm set up I like to research and build the full suite of end game toiletries so my colonists can power shower daily, boosting their average mood. It always feels good to remove my starting latrines and build a full restroom facility. Stuff like pools and hot tubs are good decoration wealth flexes.

Animal space. Raising animals can be as simple as walling in a large outdoor area where grass grows and taming a herd of something. If they aren't strict herbivores then you'll need a kibble minimum set on your butchers table and a place to set it, ideally a shelf. If the animal is allowed to be in an area where they can access the kibble/hay and not your food/drugs they become fairly autonomous. Various benefits to raising livestock or having pets.

Extra farming. If things are going well expand your walls and slam down another grow zone. Make drugs, sell them. If you want to keep colony growth down use transport pods to give them away and make allies fast. Stockpile cotton/herbal medicine and the drug labs can make regular medicine too. Cocoa trees are good once or twice a year fire and forget long term money if you have loads of space and planter time.

Tidy little outdoor spots for mortars and transport pods. I like a little storage shed with shells next to the mortars for fast reloads and to mitigate storage warehouse hazards.

Armory. You can set up a dress code for your guys so they spend all non-raid time in clothes and moving normally, and can swap to armor when a raid or bad event hits. Setting all your weapons in themed shelves is also very pleasing to me.

Redundant power. Separate your powered stuff to multiple redundant grids. Do you want your base to shut down because the 1-2 Geothermals powering everything were in the wrong place at the wrong drop-pod time? A few solar panels/water mills/wind mills are a decent combo with batteries to add a little extra to your base.

Central heating/cooling or do it room by room or apartment block by apartment block with vents.

Decoration. Sowing flowers in pots or outdoor travel paths(and tile those paths for +7% movespeed at least!) raises beauty easily and many flowers will bloom for an entire season or longer. Or just build stuff that looks cool.

Redundant defenses. If you're building in a mountain, have hallways wide enough to stand and fight bugs, or even smaller barricade spots you can fall back to against really bad raids.

Vanity vault. Make raiders have to go as deep into your base as possible to steal stuff. Also a good single spot to set a trade beacon and make sure your silver is available.

Honored burial ground. Could be a big stone mausoleum or just a patch of arid dirt you set up graves at. Your fallen colonists should be remembered and what you want to do with enemies is up to you.

There are simple and useful mods for trading/air drop spots and Royalty I think lets you build a landing pad for shuttles. Make nice entryways.

And the hospitality mod is great, so if things are going well for your colonists then setting up at least a luxury barracks for visitors can be a good time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Even without mods, in 1.2 it makes sense to set up a guest barracks; quests will sometimes assign you guests (I once had a quest that brought in 10 additional people!) that temporarily join the colony like normal pawns, and if guests like you enough they'll give you gifts and even recruits

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

My artist made a sculpture commemorating the time one of my colonists got severely injured by a collapsing roof because I always forget to take it off when I want a building deconstructed. How big an rear end in a top hat would I be for putting it in that colonist's room?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Doomykins posted:

Prison. A better prison. A large prison with recreation, table to eat, spacious cells, private cells, nice beds with comfort items, etc will make prisoners recruit faster and jail break less. You can also mod in prison labor and such. Or do hospital developments for better organ harvesting.
Prisoners don't have recreation needs in vanilla. I believe you have something like Prison Recreation installed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
many recreation items provide a lot of wealth and impressiveness to a room (wooden chess tables are exhibit A in this) so they still help. but it's a little irrelevant because ime it is best to just build more private bedrooms/apartments for colonists and use those as jail cells as needed. fully kit them out with dresser, nightstand, etc like a full colonist was going to move in tomorrow. then put in a single bed instead of a double one (or two singles if you're pressed for space) and mark it for prisoner use. when you need the apartment for an actual colonist, remove the single bed and install a double one, or a royal if you're later game. then just sell the old single bed to the next merchant who'll take it.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Coolguye posted:

many recreation items provide a lot of wealth and impressiveness to a room (wooden chess tables are exhibit A in this) so they still help. but it's a little irrelevant because ime it is best to just build more private bedrooms/apartments for colonists and use those as jail cells as needed. fully kit them out with dresser, nightstand, etc like a full colonist was going to move in tomorrow. then put in a single bed instead of a double one (or two singles if you're pressed for space) and mark it for prisoner use. when you need the apartment for an actual colonist, remove the single bed and install a double one, or a royal if you're later game. then just sell the old single bed to the next merchant who'll take it.

This works well unless you are running Hygiene (I know not everyone likes to run a ton of mods but I do). I find a dedicated prison cell is easier just so I don't have to build a toilet/shower in every single bedroom. Does make prison breaks more difficult to deal with, though, when they are all in a large prison cell.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
If you're at the point where resources matter less, and have an embrasure mod, just stick some turrets in the walls with embrasures facing in. You tend to lose some prisoners but eh, more will be along shortly.

e: rimworld wtf

Carcer fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 15, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Carcer posted:

If you're at the point where resources matter less, and have an embrasure mod, just stick some turrets in the walls with embrasures facing in. You tend to lose some prisoners but eh, more will be along shortly.

e: rimworld wtf

Yeah thats mentioned in the vanilla exoanded mod description for it.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Moon Slayer posted:

My artist made a sculpture commemorating the time one of my colonists got severely injured by a collapsing roof because I always forget to take it off when I want a building deconstructed. How big an rear end in a top hat would I be for putting it in that colonist's room?

I think that is the reason for those statues existing in the first place. If I can put up an ironic statue no matter what the quality is I'll do it. I also like the mods that add monoliths and relief carvings and like so I can put a giant statue of something weird right in front of my base or line a high traffic area with disturbing walls.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This hour's Valuable Lesson: the combination of an asthmatic doctor and two pawns who cannot do Doctor is doubleplus ungood.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Tragedy is a transhumanist doctor who is the only medical above 7 in the entire base.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I definitely did not expect those raids to happen in such rapid fire - a preparing group followed by sappers followed by drop pod - and I really, really misunderstood the size given there were going to be 3 pirate raids with ~80-100 each.

Yeah that colony died. 40 colonists vs. almost 300 pirates.

If it was just the first two, I might've been able to hold them at the choke point (probably not, I had more snipers than I probably should have, but the grenadiers with cataphract melee coverage were doing okay), but the sappers breaking through the back broke everything.

Gonna reload from a previous save and lightning bolt the raiders to oblivion, and probably drop the difficulty down.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Had 5 raids and a wild grizzly bear attack over the course of about 30 hours. Some of them I was anticipating because of a quest, but Randy also threw a couple more in for good measure.

What they maybe hadn't anticipated was about a week earlier I took a quest to watch some empire nobleman's two tigers, and for fun I went ahead and trained them up most of the way. At one point one colonist and a turret were fighting one raid while another colonist fought off the grizzly bear while the two tigers ran down a second raid. Somehow no one suffered any permanent damage although all of my colonists, the two tigers, a husky and two pygmy muffalo ended up suffering combat injuries.

That'll be a RimWorld sequence I remember for a long time :black101:

Anno fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 16, 2020

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
If you have the moon rabbit mod, the rabbit general storyteller replaces 90% of events with raid raid raid and more raid.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Just put prisoners in a 4x4 room with a bed and amputate their legs. They won't do jailbreaks and will be recruited in time. Then you can give them 2 new legs.

Constantly feed them drugs to keep their mod up and quicken recruitment.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why would I recruit an organ storage box, or put bionic legs on it

I would totally remove and reinstall dentures in them though, that's just good practice

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I install wooden hands + wooden feet + dentures and then take all 5 out. Over and over again for practise.

I only recruit colonists with a passion for medicine then get all to 10 through surgery training.

After that I just keep prisoners for recruiting. Everyone else is instant harvested to death.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You should name your colony like it's a medical school. Look at the fantastic doctors our education programs produce! They can sever a real leg and replace it with a wooden stump in no time at all!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

No kidding. You'd be surprised how short of a time 5 raiders last when you got 4 newbie doctors practising on them (about 4-6 surgeries each before random insta death)

Upside is that infections (and there are many) is like auto doctors practise.

I use the mechanic to limit what areas pawns can enter. Then I assign the two squares next to a prisoners bed as an area that only doctors in practise can enter. That way all surgery on assigned prisoners is performed only by doctors in training.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And so many field hands just growing plants that enable the murder surgery process. May as well call it deathroot

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Euthanize by cut for animals is another way to get scads of medical XP very quickly. If you are keeping chickens (and why are you not keeping chickens), you can get thousands a week easily by just euthing baby chicks that you don’t care about

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Coolguye posted:

(and why are you not keeping chickens)
Mostly for the sake of my poor frame rate.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Katt posted:

No kidding. You'd be surprised how short of a time 5 raiders last when you got 4 newbie doctors practising on them (about 4-6 surgeries each before random insta death)

Upside is that infections (and there are many) is like auto doctors practise.

I use the mechanic to limit what areas pawns can enter. Then I assign the two squares next to a prisoners bed as an area that only doctors in practise can enter. That way all surgery on assigned prisoners is performed only by doctors in training.

Then, after they die, you can use something like this:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1214615921&searchtext=medical
to train more on the corpses. Rimworld.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Where's the mod that allows me to stitch the corpses of my enemies into frankenstein's monster? I'd also settle for a general necromancy mod.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A Rimworld of Magic lets you raise corpses as undead labourers and/or soldiers!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

RimWorld - The Dark Descent is probably closer to the intended feel of unholy stitched-together meat golems. :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Recently in the Horror Games thread, we were discussing how Dark Descent manages to be a rare game that pulls off the "YOU were the bad guy!!" Twist, partially because it tips its hand just enough immediately, and partially because you can see how Daniel would justify the horrors he caused little by little because of his fear of the nightmare chasing him, until realizing the depths of the evil he's been committing in the name of self preservation.

Theres something darkly hilarious about a rimworld mod to do all the evil without the pesky horror chasing slowly behind you :allears: darkly hilarious and completely unsurprising

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The pesky horror chasing me are the raiders, mechanoids, manhunting boomrat hordes, insectoids and the other mod insectoids that are trying to destroy everything my poor tribal colonists have built.

Clearly, this requires me to create menial workers out of the very life essence of my enemies.

Thinking about this incentivizes keeping long term prisoners to harvest orgone and vitae from, though I already tended to keep some prisoners around since I run the cults mod and like to have a few spare sacrifices around.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The horror of not being able to afford a megascreen television because you didn't harvest enough organs from raiders

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there a mod I can add to a running game to improve ground quality? It seems most of my stuff is stony soil so growth rates are pretty terrible

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Jose posted:

Is there a mod I can add to a running game to improve ground quality? It seems most of my stuff is stony soil so growth rates are pretty terrible

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725747149 is the one I use.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My base just got a dry lightning storm followed by wildfires. Too soon, dude.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My base just got a dry lightning storm followed by wildfires. Too soon, dude.

Is your sky also orange and ash constantly falling everywhere?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I started my first mountain base cause I like the concept despite the risk and like 10 blocks into the mountain we discovered this huge clearing full of farmable land, like a little valley paradise with natural walls. This map is a keeper I think

I'm also trying a 20/60 growing season just to try out having to deal with an actual winter

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Real winter's aren't that bad, it just means some of your pawns do farming 24/7 during growing season but then you have winter for infrastructure stuff.

Then eventually you get sun lamps and winter doesn't mean anything anymore other than the occasional raider not bringing warm enough clothes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

I really like:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2012735237

Which adds a whole system for transplanting and enriching terrain. Basically each tile is "made" of a variety of soil components and you can upgrade or downgrade tiles across the fertility range, so you can turn sand into stony soil by adding some gravel and soil, and stony soil into proper soil by adding more soil and clay and fertilizer etc. You can get the components by downgrading tiles into useless stuff like gravel or sand, or you can create the ingredients for soil out of rocks and composting rotten organic products, though it's labour intensive. It's really good for just prettying up your base as well though, very nice and in-depth system.

Basically you can either dig up sections of the map to concentrate them into a good soil patch or you can slowly make the ingredients to terraform whole sections into good land. Makes a nice long term goal.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 20, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Leal posted:

Is your sky also orange and ash constantly falling everywhere?

Yes to the first, but I use f.lux.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

I started my first mountain base cause I like the concept despite the risk and like 10 blocks into the mountain we discovered this huge clearing full of farmable land, like a little valley paradise with natural walls. This map is a keeper I think

I'm also trying a 20/60 growing season just to try out having to deal with an actual winter

Keep in mind that enemies can drop pod into those so keep the entrance fortified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

One of the cataphracts that arrived as protection for the baron was chemical fascination and was just zipping through my stores of wake up and go juice. I was lamenting this fact when I remembered that, as a cataphract, I don’t need to guard them so sent them out to go shoot a few feralisks who had wandered on the map and let them get killed.