Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Spoondick posted:

someone in my town claimed they evacuated without taking their $500,000,000 emerald

this is what is commonly known as "insurance fraud"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

zerocool redder

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

This looks like someone strapped some wings and props to an RV and I'm asking myself 'Well how hard could it be?' then started thinking about what if you made the wings really fold able or could disconnect them and attach to the top of the rv thing then realized all of these thoughts are very dumb and that adult me shouldn't be so sad to think like 6 year old me :(

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Spoondick posted:

someone in my town claimed they evacuated without taking their $500,000,000 emerald

makes sense, an emerald will survive a fire while a diamond may not, so you want to prioritize your diamonds when evacuating

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spoondick posted:

are you a bad enough dude to don an asbestos suit and do the right thing?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Hmm, looks like there's tropical disturbances out there in the Atlantic, lemme just check the models real quick and zoom ahead to the end of the week...

Ah

as long as it all misses me or at least takes its time to go full beast mode. ..

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/lizziejohnsonnn/status/1296129218204426240

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/RachaelHerron/status/1296103976262221824

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

TFW you run out of slave labor

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gonna need a new Kelly cartoon of "sick" prisoners kicking their feet up in luxury while hard-working americans' homes burn

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

quick, make healthy illegal

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
well, the good news is that the ash raining from the sky seems to be keeping the temperatures in the low 100s :shrug:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Look at the size of the crack-ping on this first tweet. :vince:

vvv :vince: :vince: :vince:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AdamLucioWX/status/1296200707905859584

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:stonk:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I had no idea they were using prisoners to deal with the fires in the past. That's a special kind of what the gently caress.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

I had no idea they were using prisoners to deal with the fires in the past. That's a special kind of what the gently caress.

We have such sights to show you

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Deformed Church posted:

marxist utopia California

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

the punchline is that they can’t become firefighters after their sentences, because a felony excludes you

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Deformed Church posted:

Kamala Harris argued to the state supreme court that releasing nonviolent offenders early could not be done because it would impact the state's firefighting capability.

This of course was such a horrific thing to do that she was never heard from again.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Deformed Church posted:

lol we use prisoners to do SO much poo poo in the US. Wait till you hear about the Clintons and the governors mansion in AR. Also the "donated" blood they sent to Canada.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

lol we use prisoners to do SO much poo poo in the US. Wait till you hear about the Clintons and the governors mansion in AR. Also the "donated" blood they sent to Canada.

Excuse me what

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lawman 0 posted:

Excuse me what

Sorry for the quick off topic folks but yeah. We are a horrible nation.

https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/arkansas-prison-blood-scandal-3732/

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/1999/may/15/tainted-plasma-traced-to-arkansas-prison-bill-clintons-blood-trails/

Prisons are just fuckin slavery factories.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:stonk: x 1000

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Slavery never ended, it was just rebranded.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Lol, blood makes up 2% of all American exports.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Unethically using prison labor to extort entire industries is what the warden in Shawshank Redemption was doing. He killed himself in the movie when people found out but in real life it is done in every prison in the nation and is strongly encouraged by major politicians.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

where do you think all the covid recovery plasma that's keeping the rich and powerful alive is coming from lmao

COVID being allowed to tear through prisons is win-win to these people

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

remember that the US criminal "justice" system has been heavily interwoven with slavery and white supremacy from the start. prison labor in the US largely started immediately after the end of slavery, as a way to preserve as much of the pre-Civil War status quo as possible

technically the prisoners don't have to fight fires. but because their sentences are shortened if they do, they're essentially punished for not doing it. also, it pays a whopping four bucks a day, significantly more than other prison jobs

the convict firefighting program dates back to WWII, when the typical firefighting workforce was overseas shooting at people. inmates were brought in "temporarily" to fill the staffing shortfall. the histories seem to skim over why they continued to use inmates even after the soldiers came home, but it's pretty obvious - convicts can be paid well under minimum wage, and they're not allowed to complain about the working conditions no matter how terrible and unsafe things get

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

remember that the US criminal "justice" system has been heavily interwoven with slavery and white supremacy from the start. prison labor in the US largely started immediately after the end of slavery, as a way to preserve as much of the pre-Civil War status quo as possible

no coincidence the war on drugs started almost right after the civil rights act was passed. the state, so long as it exists, is just one of those shuffleboard puzzles with the levers of power and equity

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

technically the prisoners don't have to fight fires. but because their sentences are shortened if they do, they're essentially punished for not doing it. also, it pays a whopping four bucks a day, significantly more than other prison jobs

the convict firefighting program dates back to WWII, when the typical firefighting workforce was overseas shooting at people. inmates were brought in "temporarily" to fill the staffing shortfall. the histories seem to skim over why they continued to use inmates even after the soldiers came home, but it's pretty obvious - convicts can be paid well under minimum wage, and they're not allowed to complain about the working conditions no matter how terrible and unsafe things get

they get two days off of the sentence for every day they spend on firefighting detail, which iirc includes training and sitting around and stuff at the firefighter camps

it's such a good incentive that there was a push to extend it to other types of prison labor. kamala harris spoke out against doing this and explicitly stated that doing such a thing would empty the firefighting camps because everyone would prefer the less dangerous work

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Spoondick posted:

never do laundry...

I hate when posts are prophetic. https://www.sonomawater.org/fire

Emergency Water Conservation During Current Fire Conditions posted:

postpone laundry washing

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/SoCalFirePhoto/status/1296327102057177088

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

"ive sat next to campfire before! i know this! theres no possible problem about driving by a continuous one"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bulgakov posted:

"ive sat next to campfire before! i know this! theres no possible problem about driving by a continuous one"

how else are u going to get cool pinstagram videos to tweet tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

And as mentioned earlier, all the inmates who were trained and experienced firefighters while in prison are ineligible to become firefighters on release, because they don't hire felons. So California is always chronically short on trained firefighters because they can't hire felons, which means they need to use slave labor felons to make up the shortfall.