Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Looks like the final production version of the magnetic-filler PenBBS pen, the 487, is now available in no fewer than 24 variants, e.g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I feel like there's a lot that could go wrong there.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was thinking of getting one of those but I prefer chunky acrylic aesthetics. They sell them in that style but I wouldn't want to try that fill mechanism in something that wasn't a demonstrator.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Oh god I spent money on ebay last night while whacked on migraine meds

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Did you at least have the presence of mind to get a Delta?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yes

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

grack posted:

Oh god I spent money on ebay last night while whacked on migraine meds

I took a sleeping pill and ordered Kaweco cartridges for a Fireblue I haven't bought yet. I'm not sure if they fit other pens I own.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gschmidl posted:

Looks like the final production version of the magnetic-filler PenBBS pen, the 487, is now available in no fewer than 24 variants, e.g.

That looks hideous.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pixelante posted:

I took a sleeping pill and ordered Kaweco cartridges for a Fireblue I haven't bought yet. I'm not sure if they fit other pens I own.

Well... my purchase was little more expensive than that. Not quite "How much can I get for one of my kidneys?" territory, but well in to "How much can I get for someone else's kidney?" territory.

So, uh, anyone in Vancouver want to go for a drink? I'm buying!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

grack posted:

So, uh, anyone in Vancouver want to go for a drink? I'm buying!

Haha! Thinking of heading over there for a course in the next month or so. Let me know if you're ever in Victoria. Our regular goon-coffee meet-ups have transitioned to Zoom so you can always join us there too.

e: You fix pens, right? I think I talked to you about my crappy TWSBI nib. Still need to figure out what's wrong there.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Not a fun feeling to realize I just cross contaminated by bright, new, fun ink. Agh, I really need to do a better job cleaning out syringes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pixelante posted:

e: You fix pens, right? I think I talked to you about my crappy TWSBI nib. Still need to figure out what's wrong there.

I do. Honestly at times I think I buy pens just so I can work on the nibs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I found a fountainpen at a yard sale, research shows it's like this, don't have any pics of the pen in question but it looks just like this:
https://www.penworkshop.co.uk/evergood-paris-button-filler-1940s.html

I thought it was an eyedropper because when I screwed off the top there was nothing inside except black stuff that I got out with a small bore brush. But it's apparently a button filler. Never heard of that before but the inside of the pen is basically empty now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I found a fountainpen at a yard sale, research shows it's like this, don't have any pics of the pen in question but it looks just like this:
https://www.penworkshop.co.uk/evergood-paris-button-filler-1940s.html

I thought it was an eyedropper because when I screwed off the top there was nothing inside except black stuff that I got out with a small bore brush. But it's apparently a button filler. Never heard of that before but the inside of the pen is basically empty now.

You can use it as a cigarette case for one cigarette.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That was almost certainly a rubber sac that filled with ink. They tend to be in that kind of condition after half a century or more. You'll need to find out the proper size and order a new sac to replace it. I hear it's not super difficult once you have the proper supplies.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
Button filler repair is pretty simple. Before you order supplies you'll need to see if the button and pressure bar are still usable - if they are, then you just need to buy a sac, some shellac and some talc.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Oh hell yeah. Goulet is carrying the Sailor Ink Studio inks now. I'm glad to see their availability growing in the US.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sankis posted:

That was almost certainly a rubber sac that filled with ink. They tend to be in that kind of condition after half a century or more. You'll need to find out the proper size and order a new sac to replace it. I hear it's not super difficult once you have the proper supplies.

They're supposed to be but a I completely wrecked a pen trying to take it apart to replace the sac. I got the right grippers too. I warmed up the pen and all I got out of it was warping it a bit from trying to pull it apart. I heard some of them have to basically be cut apart, which would have been just as risky in my hands.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This pen is missing not just the sack but the button mechanism as well, which is why I wondered if it was an eyedropped and the gunk that fell out was like dried ink.

I can't seem to get it apart more, maybe if I pulled out the nib. But I tried writing with it just using whatever water and old ink left in the pen after flushing it and it felt pretty good to write with so I wouldn't want to mess with that.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

This pen is missing not just the sack but the button mechanism as well, which is why I wondered if it was an eyedropped and the gunk that fell out was like dried ink.

I can't seem to get it apart more, maybe if I pulled out the nib. But I tried writing with it just using whatever water and old ink left in the pen after flushing it and it felt pretty good to write with so I wouldn't want to mess with that.

I wouldn't personally mess with the nib. Usually, unless it is glued together, the section can be removed from the body without much trouble. It may be screwed in or friction fit, you may need to tinker with it a little to find out. Don't force it. If it doesn't seem to bulge in either way, you can leave the pen in water for some hours. As the inked sac degrades and starts leaking, usually a good amount of ink gets into the section-body joint and can stick it together, but many inks readily dissolve in water.

Pressure bars and sacs aren't that hard to come by if you want to restore it, buttons are a tad harder but not essential. If you want even an easier way to get a functional pen, you can replace just the sac and fill the pen by opening the body, putting the nib-section assembly into the inkwell and softly squeezing the sac with your fingers to get it filled.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Where would I be able to buy all this sac and shellac poo poo?

e: Shellac is just a sac with hell in it :eyepop:

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Where would I be able to buy all this sac and shellac poo poo?

e: Shellac is just a sac with hell in it :eyepop:

US: Pentooling.com, Anderson Pens, Indy-Pen-Dance, Pendemonium, Vintagepens.com

UK: The Pendragons

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dad Hominem posted:

US: Pentooling.com, Anderson Pens, Indy-Pen-Dance, Pendemonium, Vintagepens.com

UK: The Pendragons

Oh I guess I should've said: I'm in neither. I guess the UK is still in the EU though?

Actual :lol: that I don't even know.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh I guess I should've said: I'm in neither. I guess the UK is still in the EU though?

Actual :lol: that I don't even know.

Same here - I normally order in bulk from the US and use a forwarding service to combine shipping with whatever other US shopping I'm doing, or I just order from Pendragons, which should have sensible rates to the non-US world.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jiru posted:

I wouldn't personally mess with the nib. Usually, unless it is glued together, the section can be removed from the body without much trouble. It may be screwed in or friction fit, you may need to tinker with it a little to find out. Don't force it. If it doesn't seem to bulge in either way, you can leave the pen in water for some hours. As the inked sac degrades and starts leaking, usually a good amount of ink gets into the section-body joint and can stick it together, but many inks readily dissolve in water.

Pressure bars and sacs aren't that hard to come by if you want to restore it, buttons are a tad harder but not essential. If you want even an easier way to get a functional pen, you can replace just the sac and fill the pen by opening the body, putting the nib-section assembly into the inkwell and softly squeezing the sac with your fingers to get it filled.

Well the whole pen is a unibody design, unlike the more modern pens I have got where the lower portion could be unscrewed and you could easily get at the filler mechanism. So I don't see a way to get at the area behind the nib and feeder other than pulling it out. Which is why I am thinking of just turning it into a eyedropper pen.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Well the whole pen is a unibody design, unlike the more modern pens I have got where the lower portion could be unscrewed and you could easily get at the filler mechanism. So I don't see a way to get at the area behind the nib and feeder other than pulling it out. Which is why I am thinking of just turning it into a eyedropper pen.

That sounds kinda odd, if there used to be a sac inside (and being a button-press, there ought to be one) there should also be a way of getting to it. I don't really know how you'd get the sac inside an unibody pen, they need to be secured to the section collar, and that can't be done from neither the nib end nor the button end. Unibody pens do exist (though I have personally never run into one) but they don't use rubber sacs for filling, they are usually vaccuum fillers or the like. Which, since the original mechanism has dissappeared, could also be an explanation. Your pen seems to have the cap screw just near the section, so there's a possibility that the division is there, just obscured by the threads in the body. It could also, as said before, be shellaced shut, and in that case it's a bit more of a pain in the rear end.

In any case, if it doesn't open, don't force it. Better a closed pen than no pen.

On turning it into an eyedropper, I have never done it to a button filler, but I'd guess it's doable as long as the body is intact. I'd advise to check for remnants of old, petrified sac inside the pen: you can shake it a bit and, if anything rattles inside, that's the sac. You can get it out through the back end, maybe use a thin wire to help you break up fragments that are too big to pass through the opening. Once the body is cleared, a bit of silicone grease in the back cap's threads and it should be good to go.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Gonna have to go over this real close with a loupe, but I cannot see a seam or anything so I could screw apart the body, but maybe it's just hidden real well. We'll see what I find.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Goddamnit someone offered me a good deal on a pretty damned rare Delta... shipped from Canada.

WHY DO YOU MOCK ME, CRUEL FATES.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

Goddamnit someone offered me a good deal on a pretty damned rare Delta... shipped from Canada.

WHY DO YOU MOCK ME, CRUEL FATES.

You bought it, didn't you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

You bought it, didn't you.

No Not yet

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Heath posted:

Right, it just makes talking to people about it an interesting discussion. People are shocked that there are quality fountain pens that are priced cheaper than a good rollerball.

Do any of you in the US ever seen fountain pens at, say, grocery stores or places like Staples? I know some people have seen the trash Zebra ones around, but I've yet to spot anything like a Metro. I see plenty of cheap ones marketed as "calligraphy" sets with a pen and a few swappable nibs, but I don't count those.

Hey, those cheap-rear end Zebra fountain pens are great, as long as you don't mind only ever being able to use one color. Preppys are really common in stationery/school supply/bookstores etc. in asia.

so I guess the answer is no

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 25, 2020

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

gschmidl posted:

that thing looks like a piece of poo poo that fell out of someone's rear end, missed the toilet, and landed on another, bigger piece of floor poo poo

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I'm reminded of the penbbs inks which have fantastic names such as "burning of white house 1814" and a poo poo brown called "45th potus"

Sankis fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 25, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Hey, those cheap-rear end Zebra fountain pens are great, as long as you don't mind only ever being able to use one color. Preppys are really common in stationery/school supply/bookstores etc. in asia.

so I guess the answer is no

I've never heard anything even remotely positive about the Zebra pens until now

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the disposable Zebra fountain pens. They're similar to Pilot Varsity pens and come in a bunch of different colours.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Oh, I was talking about the nondisposable metal ones. I didn't know they made disposables.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sankis posted:

I'm reminded of the penbbs inks which have fantastic names such as "burning of white house 1814" and a poo poo brown called "45th potus"

Link please

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Still kicking myself for missing out on Berning Red

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

iospace posted:

Link please

The rest of their inks are all nature or Chinese themed which makes these extra funny.

https://vanness1938.com/collections/penbbs-ink/products/penbbs-153-burning-of-white-house-1814-ink

https://vanness1938.com/collections/penbbs-ink/products/penbbs-269-45th-potus-ink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I hate that color in their demonstrators but I love it as an opaque acrylic finish.