Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

kingcobweb posted:

There’s short duration combat stealth, which isn’t affected by pink wards, like Akali and Kha. Then there’s camouflage, which is longer duration and can be seen by pinks, like Twitch and Rengar.

I mean I get it after reading it, I'm just annoyed at how I feel like the only way you are going to figure that out is by reading it on a wiki because that isn't an intuitive change in the slightest. Like, I know it's short duration vs long duration in theory, but in practice Rengar and Kha are both assassins who jump on you and instantly remodel your facial features. Pinking will work against one but not the other.

This used to follow consistent logic and now it's got an asterisk appended onto it and this bugs me for inelegance but it's not a huge deal now that I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The thing to remember is they can both be seen by sweepers. Also Kha'zix you can still spot before he goes into a brush to go invisible. Just be glad you're not playing against the initial Akali rework where she could use her shroud to drop tower aggro and dive you risk free constantly.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Miftan posted:

What's the deal with Camille top? Is she sleeper op or what? Her trading is bananas.

She kinda eats tanks and eats non-tanks because her kit has a good mix of anti-tank skills and anti-squishy skills. She also can do well against kiting toplaners
1. She has a auto attack reset skill that turns a big percentage (or all, if you wait) into true damage. That's kinda nuts and means she wins short trades. Once she gets triforce it's GG because she's going to be proccing a 500 dmg hit of true dmg every what, 5 seconds?
2. Her shield is huge, 20% max hp with a 16 sec cd at level 1. That's bigger than some, if not most actual castable shields.
3. Her AOE leg sweep deals %max hp and also heals her for the same amount. So if she hits a big tank it's a big heal and a big hp swing in the fight.
4. Her stun gives her an attack speed steroid which makes her difficult to out trade when she uses it. It's also coded broken (like jarvan eq, I believe) so it also has some quirks like can go through grounds and can be used even when you're stunned, if you get the first part of the animation off. Stupid skill in that regard, honestly.
5. Big gently caress you ulti that's good in lane and in teamfights because it's basically a better Jarvan ulti that pins down the target and also makes her autos deal %max hp for the duration. Given she's got a double AA reset and another aspeed steroid in her kit, that's kinda scary to begin with, but then the target not physically being able to leave the area makes it just hell if you're the adc in a teamfight since it doesn't stop anyone else from entering the zone like J4's does.

In conclusion, just play singed into her, kite her out and then if she ultis you, fling her out of her own ulti area to cancel it. Cast your W on where she hooks to the wall, rather than anywhere else, and she'll uselessly sit on the wall for the full duration of her E because she can be grounded while grappled to the wall, but not while actually casting it originally.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

njsykora posted:

The thing to remember is they can both be seen by sweepers. Also Kha'zix you can still spot before he goes into a brush to go invisible. Just be glad you're not playing against the initial Akali rework where she could use her shroud to drop tower aggro and dive you risk free constantly.

Honestly I'm still amazed anyone at riot thought this was ever a good idea, akali could literally hard shove in any lane then kill you under tower with zero counterplay. You couldn't even stun her or anything because being CC'd at the time, didn't break her stealth.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
camille is just a character with an enormous % of her matchups being skill matchups, with only a couple hard counters. i dont think theres any champion thats explictly bad into her in top lane except maybe like a squishy caster

if you wanna beat her, darius is decent, fiora is decent but you still to be somewhat adept with them. camille i think tends to attract people who are really good at laning right now because once you've learned her you can outplay almost anyone

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Verviticus posted:

camille is just a character with an enormous % of her matchups being skill matchups, with only a couple hard counters. i dont think theres any champion thats explictly bad into her in top lane except maybe like a squishy caster

if you wanna beat her, darius is decent, fiora is decent but you still to be somewhat adept with them. camille i think tends to attract people who are really good at laning right now because once you've learned her you can outplay almost anyone

I was actually leaning toward playing her to be honest. I'm mid gold usually, but her rotations are a bit weird because of Q double proccing and sheen. I still do OK in Lane so I'm looking forward to improving on her.

My safe top laner is Garen who is uh, not mechanically intensive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Always remember the practice tool is a thing you can use if you just want to practice combos and rotations outside an actual game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Miftan posted:

I was actually leaning toward playing her to be honest. I'm mid gold usually, but her rotations are a bit weird because of Q double proccing and sheen. I still do OK in Lane so I'm looking forward to improving on her.

My safe top laner is Garen who is uh, not mechanically intensive.

yeah just play her a bunch and after a few games pull up a master+ streamer whos playing camille and just kinda copy what he does and it should click

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I miss the old Karthus ult

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
adc adventures (cont.)
I've been trying Lucian ADC again and it's been clicking. Cait and Ashe beat him, but that's ADC lyfe right now, and I had been looking for more ADCs that are free from the frankly lovely build path of IE rush that crit ADCs have to do or die. Bork has such a beautiful build path. Lucian's passive double-shot proccing the 8% health damage is beautiful. Once you get some CDR, his combo feels so smooth and shreds so much.
It's weird that they reverted the 5 MS buff on Cait instead of the AD buff. Lux/Sona nerfs to kill that botlane interaction. It is so bad they are nerfing Sona while she has a new skin on the way.

E: I have also been trying Jhin and hating it. There's a certain cadence to the trading that I can't quite get, I miss CS with the reloading, I'm bad more than half the time at hitting the R. His auto feels good and I love the guy but gently caress I can't get him yet.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Regarding Jihn, pretend you're a mage instead. You're operating on cooldowns (the space between his shots). Dont be afraid to use Q or even W to snatch up minions when you're reloading. If you're not building them already, stormrazor and RFC make him feel a lot better a and sync nicely with his 4th shot movespeed passive

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Jhins great, the reload does take time to get used to. As for your issues: early on, just trade with fourth shot and back off. Due to how it works you will always come out ahead if you and them each get one shot off in the trade, and the extra ms on 4 crit means you can skedaddle and not get into an extended trade.

Once the reload animation begins from empty ammo, you can use q or w to catch minions and it won't interrupt the reload.

You can also use skills to preserve 4th shot. You reload automatically at ten seconds, but using a skill to do damage and reenter combat will reset that timer, so you can hold that crit to threaten a trade.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 19, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The bouncing sound on that one Jhin skill is so good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Seriously why are people in plat so bad at banning stuff? I am legit seeing people ban Ashe, Cait, Kayn bans every game. Then these are the same people who can't play versus Yasuo/Yone/Darius/Jax and have no idea how to stop their snowball nor will the supports pick exhaust. I don't mind cause I play those champs but it's funny to see people complain about Yasuo or Yone being busted but banning useless champions instead.

Also the most disgusting trend in the last 2-3 splits is very support going autopilot ignite. Without looking at enemy comp or realizing you are playing Janna and your job is not to ignite people in late game teamfights nor dive enemy in lane so you don't need ignite.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Next "how do I pilot" question: Kai'sa. I have no idea how to play this character.

Also I'm increasingly being asked to play in bot by my friends, but I don't like any of the typical ADC champs. Who are some unusual picks who still function down there?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

inthesto posted:

Next "how do I pilot" question: Kai'sa. I have no idea how to play this character.

Also I'm increasingly being asked to play in bot by my friends, but I don't like any of the typical ADC champs. Who are some unusual picks who still function down there?

Cassiopeia is one of my favorite unconventional botlaners, just don't pick her into cait

Syndra works as well. My favorite weird bot pick though is Orianna. You can last hit with the ball or autos and have a full ranged auto so you're a harass machine. Surprisingly good at surviving ganks with your utility as long as you can avoid hard engage

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Does garen/yuumi still work

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

inthesto posted:

veigar, cassio, sona/lux, you can play any bruiser if your team is prepared for it.

also the "how do i play kaisa" answer is currently, you don't. she's in a really bad place and just isn't worth learning at the moment.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That's strange, I could have sworn that Kai'sa was the premium ADC only about a month ago. I don't keep up with patches, but did she really get hammered that hard?

Also, I know that Senna is generally played as a support who crosses over into being a half-ADC later in the game; is it practical to play her the other way around?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

senna adc is still fine. i think kaisa has been under 50% win rate all season long, she hasn't been the premium adc in a long time. the community focus on hating her was especially bad so her perception versus her reality haven't lined up much. it's extra weird when you consider xayah was right next to her the whole time they were on top and never got the hate despite her having an untargetable reposition.

senna adc builds weird and doesn't benefit from aspeed really so you have to practice last hitting with her, but she scales crazy good.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Ulio posted:

... Cait ... bans every game. Then these are the same people who can't play versus Yasuo/Yone/Darius/Jax and have no idea how to stop their snowball

I honestly can't fault anyone for banning Cait on this patch, even if they just lose to other poo poo instead. Being the most-picked champ in the game AND the second-winningest in their role (behind Lux/Sona bs) is definitely ban-worthy if your team isn't gonna pick it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Just play Ziggs bot, it's one of the easiest champs in the game to learn and has no real traditional marksman counters

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ziggs needs a support who can help him wave clear, he's actually surprisingly easy to shove in. but yeah he's also an adc alternative bot lane as well

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you want to get really weird, Heimerdinger bot is a constant favourite of mine.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kaisa has been consistently rated in the "S tier" for the last like 4 patches by all those proguide type youtube tier lists, but its honestly based on the unrealistic assumption that you're going to scale into 3.5 items since she doesn't really beat anyone in lane and her best build path right now features muramana + a bunch of AP items and you don't get your transforms until you've completed most of them.

I've played 300 games of Jhin this season (with a 54% wr!) and there are still things about his unique kit that gently caress me up. Remember that your attack speed only increases with levels, so early on you attack really slowly and there is nothing you can do about it. Be really careful about cancelling his autos it is really easy to do. The easiest way to get a quick trade off is to Auto + Q + Auto. The 4th shot is still bugged after like 2 attempts at fixing it so you can get a phantom 4th shot off that does no damage but consumes the shot + all your on hit stuff like fleet.

As everyone said you're like a mage so your trading has to be short and bursty. If you think about it in X time an ADC may kill an enemy from 100-0, in that same time Jhin is going to do like 100-40, and half of that time will be dead time where Jhin is fiddling with his gun. You need to poke or have a support that can pump damage if you're going to all in a healthy enemy. If the enemy is at 50% hp you can kill them, but you're going to be disappointed if you try all ining Ashe or Jinx and they have 1 item, they will kill you with their steroids/abilities. Thats why Jhin is kind of a conundrum, you need to be SO FAR ahead to be able to 1v1 a lot of the ADC cast, so to push leads you will need to team fight / group / or skirmish. As long as you can get CC on the consistent DPS threats you can help burst them down and rampage. Soloqueue teams sometimes don't cooperate with this which makes him a risky pick if you don't really bully your laner out. Ashe with 1 item (bork or BF), Lucian (bork or any AD), Jinx (BF), etc will actually kill you before you get to your 4th shot if you're both at full and you start attacking at the same time.

When using the ult, assuming you're not guess firing, you want to land 1 bullet and then if you just aim in the same spot a lot of people will juke back into it because they think you're gonna aim at where they were headed.

I like IE into RFC into Stormrazor if they're squishy mortal/dom if they are not. With how much healing is in the game its almost always mortal. If you get an enemy team that is all squish your 3 item powerspike is actually insane and you will 2 or 3 shot most enemies depending on if you're at 4 shot or not.

If you are pushing the wave up due to Q bounces/whatever, go ward the enemy gromp, sometimes you can steal it with 4th shot or force the jungler to smite it which is funny. Also take crabs too with this power. 4th shot dragons and baron to help secure.

Last advice: Always flash 4th shot, even if you know the enemy has sums. Sometimes they won't react fast enough or it won't matter (if you have BF for example and they're low you can kill them through heal). It always crits and does percentage missing bonus health dmg.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks for the Jhin stuff.

RE: Kaisa. I still sometimes pick her into hook supports if I'm feeling spicy. I feel like she is still pretty drat good at isolating and killing tank supports. Her laning isn't strong, but her CS game is easy, she can do some decent build paths...
.. I actually don't like team fighting with her because I feel very imprecise. I like the idea of her, and I can't hate a character that was called "John Click" in testing
E2: Melting them with Lucian combo has been more fun, though

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Kai'sa having weak laning explains a lot; every time I picked her I felt like I was getting my face kicked in for ten minutes or so.

wrt ADC Senna, am I supposed to just not mind the fact that her passive has a lower trigger rate when she gets a last hit? Hand over every cannon to the support?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

inthesto posted:

Kai'sa having weak laning explains a lot; every time I picked her I felt like I was getting my face kicked in for ten minutes or so.

wrt ADC Senna, am I supposed to just not mind the fact that her passive has a lower trigger rate when she gets a last hit? Hand over every cannon to the support?

Ignore it, but make sure you're there for every objective to get those souls.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Miftan posted:

Ignore it, but make sure you're there for every objective to get those souls.

Also if you're not doing anything else, follow your jungler around and grab the souls that drop from jungle camps, or roam to mid and grab any souls lying around there. Having fewer souls from farming is a tradeoff with ADC Senna for her having way higher income than she'd have from being played support. Also remember you can just keep harassing your lane opponents and getting souls that way.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
If you have 20 souls after laning you're fine anyway. Pretty sure the breakpoints are 20/40/60.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

If you're playing ADC senna you need to be mindful of harassing to get the soul procs off autoing champions. You can't just farm your way out of it because senna doesnt have any AD scaling, you need to collect souls to have scaling equivalent to your lane opponent.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

And auto+Q counts for soul collecting off your lane opponents and has massive range, so you should be doing that (and getting your support in if they need heals) as much as possible.

Items are kinda wonky, but always Manamune first, then Black Cleaver or Duskblade imo.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

https://giant.gfycat.com/IlliterateGreedyHuia.webm you all have my permission to play threshcrank now

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i wont.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Thresh throws down lantern
Blitz stands on lantern and hook fists enemy
Blitz clicks lantern before fist lands
Enjoy results!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Its the evolution of the Thresh/Skarner.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nothing will ever be as hilarious as the kidnapper combo in Heroes of the Storm.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SirSamVimes posted:

Nothing will ever be as hilarious as the kidnapper combo in Heroes of the Storm.

Tiny cliff shenanigans in dota are way funnier.
Dota has a bunch of inacessible unpathable cliffs, intended for wards and stuff, that you can only get onto with certain movement abilities.
Tiny, the stone golem, can throw an enemy at the current position of an ally. So you get a good pal with a movement ability to stand on top of the unpathable cliff, bait an enemy into getting close enough, and then just throw them up there and have your teammate ditch 'em. Then laugh at your opponent stuck on a cliff for possibly minutes at a time before they can get enough time to TP away.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If I have no real desire to play Teemo, am I better off using event tokens to buy the orbs in the hopes of grab bags? I haven't bought the pass but if I do it'll give me 2000 tokens.

Also I bought Volibear and decided to jump straight into ranked with him instead of practising. He's uh, kinda disgusting. Won both games (though I'm bronze ii trash)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

If I have no real desire to play Teemo, am I better off using event tokens to buy the orbs in the hopes of grab bags? I haven't bought the pass but if I do it'll give me 2000 tokens.

Also I bought Volibear and decided to jump straight into ranked with him instead of practising. He's uh, kinda disgusting. Won both games (though I'm bronze ii trash)

Volibear is deceptive in that he does way more damage than you'd expect in the time it takes to burst him down, and that can really get people.