Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'll be honest, I actually expected ol Crobberts to write that road map to the roadmap roadmap message himself

Guess he really is being told what to do, lol what a simpleton and utter loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/EmwgHP5.mp4

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

:same:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Unpopular opinion: I didn't back a game, I backed an ambitious vision from someone who has produced creative content that I love for 20 years and I am ok with scope creep, failures, restarts and even total failure as long as he keeps trying posted:

I respect your reason for backing Star Citizen and respect your right to be angry at the lack of fruition of your expectation.

BUT there are far too many posts and comments inferring that those of us who are willing to give CR the time to get this ambitious vision right are idiots or blind fools.
Heck man, it may even well be that CR is an immortal who drinks the tears of his backers from the cup of the last supper as the secret to his immortality lol - I'm fine with this.

The first time I played Freelancer two decades ago, I could see his vision and I wanted it to come true, no matter how long it took.

Salt me and pickle me all you like, I can handle another 20 years of 30k nightmares as long as that team does not stop trying.
I would rather have no game than a mediocre cop out.

That's how I feel.

Be angry at CIG and CR for the lack of transparency and inconsistent roadmappery all you like. Just quit expecting your impatience (justified or not) to be mine.

I've still got a decade or two of tears to keep filling his cup! haha

quote:

I don't really fret about what's popular. That would never work for someone such as myself.

That said, I'm more or less the same as you.

I've played and loved almost all games CR has been involved with - and whenever I've been sceptical (mostly due to us being a little in the dark) he's managed to convince me they still know what they're doing.

There's absolutely no way this is any kind of "scam" - and there's too much progress to believe they'll just give up or not deliver as best as they possibly can.

But I pledged for a game, I didn't buy anything. If you've spent thousands of dollars on pledges - then you still need to understand the concept of pledges and how it doesn't translate to any kind of guarentee.

This is, BY FAR, the most ambitious game of all time. There's absolutely nothing that comes close in terms of scope and technical sophistication.

I've followed the gaming industry for almost 40 years. I have a pretty good idea of how long games take, based on how ambitious they are. Some surprise me, sure - but most don't.

The most ambitious games are generally 5-7 years in development at minimum. With this in mind, and once it became clear just how ambitious (and serious) CR was with Star Citizen - I've estimated development time to be AT LEAST 10 years, and more likely 15 for all promised features and most of the content.

So, unless progress is severely halted - and if we don't have something close to a MVP with decent content in 2027, then I'll consider being truly worried.

quote:

To be fair, the community begged and screamed for MORE, in the very beginning. One of the biggest changes was procedural planets. This is what is going to elevate this game over others. But in the beginning, there was no plan to allow you to just fly down to planets, and moons, as we do now, and explore anywhere you want to. Mining moons and planets would not have been a thing...not as it is now. At most, you would have had to request to land at a location, and the game would have flown you to that location, through a loading screen, and you would have been inside some sort of crater, or something that artificially kept you from going very far. But people wanted more, and we are getting it. This is now the most ambitious game ever, and yet we are still only at 8 years. This while they have to practically create a new game engine. Keep in mind that so much has been changed, and added, that it's not actually CryEngine anymore. It's simply based on CryEngine.

Games of lesser scope, took just as long, and longer. Many lesser games have taken 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 years. The difference is that you didn't know much about those projects, during the early, mid and even later stages of development. You normally didn't hear much about a game until it was near completion, and ready to be sold. There's typically a short hype period where they start feeding you a lot of info to get you interested in buying a game, but this is the first game anyone has been able to follow closely from concept to final game. From the very beginning, when the scope increased, many experts said we were looking at a ten year development. We are 8 years into that. So, why the panic? I suspect that's because so much is being held back for Sq42, and I am so glad they are doing that. If everything was released now, then when Sq42 released, it would be a snoozefest, just as ARK was when it went live. Very little was new when they went live, and so people just didn't care. A collective Yawn came from the community. Sq42 needs a triple A type release, which means much of it needs to be new to us, to create some hype.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

I'll be honest, I actually expected ol Crobberts to write that road map to the roadmap roadmap message himself

To be fair, what they wrote was the text version of wavy hands.

Star Citizen: if we don't have something close to a MVP with decent content in 2027, then I'll consider being truly worried

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
with sound

https://i.imgur.com/phBDbqx.mp4

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:reddit: The backers will never know. Visionaries don't fly in pleb class

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

A fat man who talks like Pingu lies.
Nerds throw money at the fat man and he smiles.
A game is not forthcoming.

I would pay to see this movie.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Rugganovich posted:

The worm was not a joke.

But is " The worm was not a joke" a joke?

I'm so confused.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

:lol: 100% chance that Crisco Roberto is aware of this fact and is making his employees’ lives a screaming hell because of it.

Naw. He's far to narcissistic to care about previous employees unless they have access to publishing deals and $$$ to give him. If he could make Star Citizen with a pack of day laborers from Home Depot just to pocket more money: He would not hesitate.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

People in the thread ascribe levels of competence and aptitude to the Crobbler far, far beyond anything we've ever seen. Apparently he's playing all the video games and all the movies and remembers all his enemies and yet when they let him on camera it's just a loving bumbling thumb making weird hand gestures with no ability to articulate a single intelligent thought or design.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Blue On Blue posted:

That stood out to me as well. I got halfway through and scrolled down to see who wrote it, and surprise!, no-one's put their name to it.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Kosumo posted:

But is " The worm was not a joke" a joke?

I'm so confused.

It was not a joke. Hence why it is a joke.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Spiderdrake posted:

People in the thread ascribe levels of competence and aptitude to the Crobbler far, far beyond anything we've ever seen. Apparently he's playing all the video games and all the movies and remembers all his enemies and yet when they let him on camera it's just a loving bumbling thumb making weird hand gestures with no ability to articulate a single intelligent thought or design.
You forgot he was also supposed to code new physics refactor or whatever. Coding. Physics. This Guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
That one comment that said they are finally treating backers like publishers made me laugh. What happened to the "they don't owe us anything!"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mne nravitsya posted:

Fun fact of the day: The head of Microsoft’s flight sim studio (Jörg Neumann) is the the same guy who spent years making the game Freelancer (after Roberts was fired from DA) and is one of the main reasons that It ever saw the light of day.

Bullshit. No fuckin way.

That’s absolutely wild.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Jonny Shiloh posted:

... and Calder Sr as the sort of rich banker who bankrolls his stay-at-home wife's artisan baking business

At first I read artisan banking business which was strange but seemed to make sense as a sort of weird billionaire wife hobby play-work.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

phosdex posted:

They have 600 employees! Offices in multiple countries! How could it be a scam?!

They have 600 employees, but their latest roadmap to the roadmap states they only have 450 developers. Therefore I must conclude they have 150 janitors and bartenders to fill the quota.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

MedicineHut posted:

Oh great. So before it was already bad because there was no way to verify they were actually working on the stuff they were saying, since it was never delivered. But at least you could try and hold them to the target dates / quarters they had.

And so now not only there is still no way to verify they are actually working on what they say they are working on, but also we can not even hold them to any dates?

Breetai posted:

It also makes a lot of sense when viewed through the speculation raise through The Agent's last 'hello' that CIG is poo poo-scared to commit to a roadmap because it will have :siren:consequences:siren: for them in relation to their investors who are at the stage of demanding progress or they will start turning the screws.

The extra level of obfuscation and flexibility with reality is there to help keep the lights on.

This does fit pretty nicely with Agent's hello doesn't it. A 'progress tracker' with no actual milestones.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Nyast posted:

They have 600 employees, but their latest roadmap to the roadmap states they only have 450 developers. Therefore I must conclude they have 150 janitors and bartenders to fill the quota.

The AI used in the game is so lifelike it’s been awarded human status by the United Nations. The initial npc workforce is 150 strong.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I will say that this roadmapped roadmap (which is not a roadmap) is probably still more useful than what their existing roadmap was.
I'm curious to see what things they're working on which didn't show up on the old roadmap because they had no estimated release date (I think that's what those words said?)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I really want to know how this got approved. I am so grateful for a new Microsoft Flight Sim, I just never thought it would actually happen.

Dovetail had a crack at it after Steam Edition with ‘Flight sim world’, but it seemed to stall after release, and microsoft took it back. I sense a Bing/maps crossover provided an opportunity.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://soundcloud.com/kdx12/sunnys-diner-sunnys-diner-episode-3k13-sandi-gardiner

skip to 30:00

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i think its funny that they can say something is x% complete, like they'd know how much correct coding will go into the thing.

actually i dont know if thats funny or not, not being a programmer

We do estimation of effort, but it can be wildly off. It’s usually common to ‘timebox’ things with indefinite ends or mark research in an effort to herd cats.

The roadmap is about the illusion of progress, however. See theAgent’s paste for 3.0.0.

We coming up on a Calder’s signature anniversary soon?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

The bug, as accepted on their forums, was literally "players are making too much money". There wasn't some weird design exploit or strange glitch. People were spending hundreds of hours long haul trucking and eventually could buy the ships they wanted. A human being reported that spending hundreds of hours playing the game and being actually rewarded for it was a bug and Frontier accepted it.

Leading up to release I was so pumped for X4, since it apparently lets you automate the war machine and replace the early game mining/selling/building that eventually becomes tedious with commanding a big fleet to go wreck aliens. One of the things that always annoys me about rags-to-riches situations in games is you might become a leader of the galactic superpower but you still have to do all the little micromanagement yourself instead of delegating.

Then the game was released, was pretty awful, war was broken and from talking to people on the thread this was all normal until a couple of years of patches had passed. Never looked back into it.

X games are the Linux version of Star Citizen’s Windows. They’re largely extended and fixed by a large group of fans once Bernd’s attention deficit teenager cascade produces the initial work, and they’re always rough around a solid core. I tend to buy early, then sit on them for a while; It’s like the egosoft way.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I for one am very confused how this new roadmap is going to be different than the other five roadmaps they’ve done in the last in years

They make it sound like it’s everybody’s fault but there’s four dates slipping or people miss reading the roadmap but they’re the ones that are making it so why don’t they just make it clear instead of eating the truth

The reality of it is and we already know they just having a is that things aren’t on the roadmap even though they said that the roadmap is complete and fully transparent because they don’t exist or they haven’t decided to sell something in relation it yet

Sorry I’m typing with voice that’s probably why looks like I don’t understand the English language

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

airhorn.wav

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Hav posted:

X games are the Linux version of Star Citizen’s Windows. They’re largely extended and fixed by a large group of fans once Bernd’s attention deficit teenager cascade produces the initial work, and they’re always rough around a solid core. I tend to buy early, then sit on them for a while; It’s like the egosoft way.

Funny thing is, X4 runs better on Linux for me. :v: They also use a lot of foss projects in the game: ffmpeg, openal, boost, ogg vorbis, luajit, SDL2…

I love listening to Interviews of Bernd. He's the owner of the company, and he just loves the hell out of space games. They barely have a budget, they haven't had a marketing person on staff until very recently, they have huge ambitions and build these insanely complex simulations with thousands of agents flying around the galaxy. They often talk about bugs that only manifest once the simulation has run for tens to hundreds of hours.

Build a station, land on it, watch as your own ships come and go, board a fighter, land on one of your ships, walk to the bridge and relieve the captain, land your big ship on a carrier, walk to the bridge of the carrier and take control. I haven't fallen through the floor once.

Egosoft has had about a dozen employees for years. Perhaps 20 now. Just to put them into perspective with CIG…

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Antigravitas posted:

Funny thing is, X4 runs better on Linux for me. :v: They also use a lot of foss projects in the game: ffmpeg, openal, boost, ogg vorbis, luajit, SDL2…

I love listening to Interviews of Bernd. He's the owner of the company, and he just loves the hell out of space games. They barely have a budget, they haven't had a marketing person on staff until very recently, they have huge ambitions and build these insanely complex simulations with thousands of agents flying around the galaxy. They often talk about bugs that only manifest once the simulation has run for tens to hundreds of hours.

Build a station, land on it, watch as your own ships come and go, board a fighter, land on one of your ships, walk to the bridge and relieve the captain, land your big ship on a carrier, walk to the bridge of the carrier and take control. I haven't fallen through the floor once.

Egosoft has had about a dozen employees for years. Perhaps 20 now. Just to put them into perspective with CIG…

They talk about the bad old days when they shipped titles the whole office spent weeks packing cd's and manuals into boxes.

alot of people get narky about egosoft (release quality) , but they are good devs, they try to make games they love.. the stick around fix things afterwards and they do it all on shoe string budget

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Pixelate posted:

This does fit pretty nicely with Agent's hello doesn't it. A 'progress tracker' with no actual milestones.

surely anyone who has run a single project and still has a pulse will see through this ruse?

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 20, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's still SC, anyone involved with it is probably credulous as hell.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

We ride together we die together. Bad Boys 4 life.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the only flight sim that matters
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1295878554660593664?s=20

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Derek seems like a nice guy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

He was beyond reproach.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

How about suburban areas that house player apartments?

For example, in Lorville, there could be innercity apartments and suburban ones. The suburban ones would be 5 kilometers outside of Lorville and have exterior access. They would be connected to the city with a train line too. So you can still land your ship close to it and walk inside. However the ship hangars would be in Lorville.

The reason I am posting this is because I read that devs might use instanced inner city apartments, where player apartments be like they are now, a magically warped in room that only exists for the player that logs in inside Lorville. That would be lame, because it would break the persistent world realism. Where each player apartment is a realy thing in the game world.

Other games do that instanced thing too, and it's really bad.

Basically they have a main elevator, and then it warps a player into an apartment that only he can access.

It would like it to be more realistic, where every single apartment in the game is a real room in a specific building.

That would mean Lorville inner City would be sold out until someone stops renting their apartment. Because you won't be able to have several thousand players having an apartment in the same close proximity. So that is why there should be suburb apartment buildings inside and outside Lorville for players to spread out.

quote:

I'm cool with either instanced apartments or persistent apartments. I'd prefer persistent apartments but if that's not technically possible then so be it.

If they went with instanced apartments and assuming there are windows with views, I'm not sure how they will show variation. I mean will everybody always have the same view (10th floor of the building if on ArcCorp) or will there be some subtle variation like a dozen different views / locations that are randomly spread across apartment owners (and locked, it's not like your view will change every time you return to the apartment)?

Also, I'm kind of hoping for different tiers / apartment types.

Hab equivalent / Fifth Element mini apartment

Medium apartment + 1-2 modular rooms and more decoration options

Penthouse + 3-4 modular rooms and even more decoration options

Ideally the penthouse would also have access to a balcony landing pad (snub sized) or access to a roof parking lot (max x ships) shared by penthouse owners.

Not sure on the price structure though, and would they fluctuate based on planet or star system? Like say a penthouse on ArcCorp is cheaper than penthouse on Terra (pledge and in-game).

In terms of aesthetics / feels I like all of the major planets so far, each has its own appeal. Choosing between them will be tough. I'd probably grab a spot somewhere in Stanton if it was move-in ready, and would pledge for a place in the Sol System, New York knowing I might not see it for a while.

There's also the major space stations to consider. Maybe the RRs are off limits and reserved for temporary habs but I think the major space stations orbiting around the planets should offer some permanent real estate options.

And on top of all that there's the hangars to consider. I'm guessing there will be apartment / home options in the hangars themselves, perhaps some minimal hab level as a default with the option to upgrade for those people who want a larger custom home and a hangar in the same location.

Add in outposts (persistent) and org bases (persistent or instanced if in a landing / safe zone?)...

Lots of options all around.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

That's loving rich, I've played Battlecruiser 3000AD.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
its funny that real loving plane controls are easier and more intuitive than trying to loving pull up a menu in battlecrusier

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Just found out Elite will have loving bartenders :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Mne nravitsya posted:

Naw. He's far to narcissistic to care about previous employees unless they have access to publishing deals and $$$ to give him. If he could make Star Citizen with a pack of day laborers from Home Depot just to pocket more money: He would not hesitate.

Sto-ry! Sto-ry! Sto-ry!