Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I picked up this 30 year old Yamaha RT 100 today. The PO restored the bike to drat near new condition. It's a blast to rip around on this little thing. Perfect for the starter bike I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Holy loving crap that's clean.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I found it via FB market place ad. When I get to the given address, I find a tiny motorcycle shop with lots of cool old and unique bikes inside. The owner was a very nice South African immigrant and his parents.
Nice fellow. Towards the end of the transaction he revealed that he "fled South Africa because it went to the dogs".
I wrapped up and left. In conclusion, Kennewick is a land of revolting contrasts.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I got a ride to the ranger station the last 2 miles of my breakdown adventure from an extremely racist hunter in a giant f-350 (he's half latino so he's allowed to). I hate liking shitkicker shithead hobbies

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Wow that's clean. Hopefully you got a good deal on it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I got a ride to the ranger station the last 2 miles of my breakdown adventure from an extremely racist hunter in a giant f-350 (he's half latino so he's allowed to). I hate liking shitkicker shithead hobbies

Same. I ride dirtbikes, shoot guns, hike/backpack, hunt, go off-roading, and work on my vehicles. I'm constantly shocked by the things I encounter in my hobbies. I'm half Mexican but I look like the Webster's definition of "average white guy" so I fly under the radar and pass the initial visual inspection to most racists and its always shocking how quick they are to let it fly.

I did pull a guy out of a snow field. I really wish I had taken a photo. He had an f150 with Trump flags on the back and dug too deep. I yanked him out with my 4 runner which had to have been embarrassing. I only wish I had an Obama sticker for him to look at.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

I found it via FB market place ad. When I get to the given address, I find a tiny motorcycle shop with lots of cool old and unique bikes inside. The owner was a very nice South African immigrant and his parents.
Nice fellow. Towards the end of the transaction he revealed that he "fled South Africa because it went to the dogs".
I wrapped up and left. In conclusion, Kennewick is a land of revolting contrasts.

African Americans cannot be r*cist

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

African Americans cannot be r*cist

Can you knock off the endless baiting of this subject?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can you knock off the endless baiting of this subject?

I am half-latin(o)x. it is permitted :greenangel:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

overt racists cannot help themselves to shutting the gently caress up and I get annoyed that I've got the comforting face and appearance to get to hear it

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
anyway racists aside... any of you guys tried using onX? https://www.onxmaps.com/offroad-app

some of the 4runner folks ive talked to like it for wheeling, but i'd be interested to hear if it's works well for finding good double track

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

anyway racists aside... any of you guys tried using onX? https://www.onxmaps.com/offroad-app

some of the 4runner folks ive talked to like it for wheeling, but i'd be interested to hear if it's works well for finding good double track

I've been looking for something like this since I know jack poo poo about offroading in the SE, so I'll probably be checking this out after work since it looks decent. thanks!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Razzled posted:

It's fine, it works pretty good, they pester you constantly for the monthly subscription though.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

It's fine, it works pretty good, they pester you constantly for the monthly subscription though.

Lol you weren’t kidding. emails galore 😩

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I use Avenza maps. Plenty of National Forest maps are available free. Lots more paid maps, but reasonable.
There is also an app called US Topo Maps, which uses free maps, too.
I also have Backcountry Navigator. Seems fine, haven't used it much.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Gaia has been pretty good for me as far as double track and some single track but isn't perfect. Has USGS topos as well as their own topos and satellite maps, seems pretty good and not too expensive.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I spent a few hours riding at McCubbin Gulch OHV area in the Mt Hood National Forest with my boys. 15 and 12, both of them reefed around on the little Yamaha RT100. Couple small crashes, nothing bad.

This place has some nice single track riding.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

I spent a few hours riding at McCubbin Gulch OHV area in the Mt Hood National Forest with my boys. 15 and 12, both of them reefed around on the little Yamaha RT100. Couple small crashes, nothing bad.

This place has some nice single track riding.

yeah mccubbins whips rear end and is usually my go to if I'm making a roundabout trip down to see my dad from portland. browns camp is where I grew up doing all my OHV trail riding around portland though so if y'all haven't been out there you definitely should!

I always camp west of timothy lake next to the oak grove fork of the clackamas and use that as my basecamp for offroading up around mt hood if I'm taking a weekend to explore

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Does anyone have a satellite messenger/inreach device? If so, what one did you go with and why? I'd like to pick one up for when I go out riding alone to give myself a little peace of mind. It seems like the garmin inreach mini gets all the top marks, but it looks like you have to pay $5/month to have it be deactivated and that's dumb.

Follow up question, any PDX goons want to go ride dirtbikes? Bonus points if you can ride Thursdays or Fridays!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Just bought my first home and spent the last two days (new job starts next week) exploring the local lanes and holy macroni there's the best dirt biking I've ever done about 2 miles from the front door. There's multiple small valleys with old cattle tracks that nobody except a few farmers and the odd sheep ever see, it's an unspoiled heaven.

On top of that the XR is now behaving beautifully and is a real pleasure to ride. Life is good.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That looks amazing. I wish I had OHV trails nearby, but the closest is Juniper Dunes and I hate riding through loose sand.
There's also Horn Rapids MX park, which is private. But it's ten minutes from my house, so I'm going to go check it out soon.
But I really like PNW forest trails.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

Just bought my first home and spent the last two days (new job starts next week) exploring the local lanes and holy macroni there's the best dirt biking I've ever done about 2 miles from the front door. There's multiple small valleys with old cattle tracks that nobody except a few farmers and the odd sheep ever see, it's an unspoiled heaven.

On top of that the XR is now behaving beautifully and is a real pleasure to ride. Life is good.

congrats dude :D

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that's sick. jealous of those trails

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks for the advice of the WBDR, gonna go do the Carson to Packwood to ellensburg sections and back this weekend with Jeep support which should be aces.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Thanks for the advice of the WBDR, gonna go do the Carson to Packwood to ellensburg sections and back this weekend with Jeep support which should be aces.

Nice I'm jealous. I really want to do it as well and I think I can get my buddy to drive it as support which is the best way since I'm on a WR250 and I don't want to haul a bunch of poo poo or buy seat bags.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

right arm posted:

that's sick. jealous of those trails

It's honestly pretty great. People are really friendly, even on horses or out hiking

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

That looks amazing. I wish I had OHV trails nearby, but the closest is Juniper Dunes and I hate riding through loose sand.
There's also Horn Rapids MX park, which is private. But it's ten minutes from my house, so I'm going to go check it out soon.
But I really like PNW forest trails.

Sand is awesome. When you fall in it, it doesn't hurt as much. Otherwise, here's my serious advice for sand.

Lots of throttle. Get up above the sand - it gets a lot better to ride in when you hit 20mph and stay on the throttle.

No front brake. Use less front brake until you're used to it. Front brake will load your front and make your front wheel dive into the sand and frankly stopping isn't usually an issue.

Anyway, sand is awesome and you should try it until you also like it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

riding in the sand is awesome

on other people's bikes :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sand is tricky at first because your brain tells you to slow down when the front wheel gets all wobbly and mushy, but you really need to treat sand like a liquid and your bike like a boat and get up on plane with some speed and things smooth out.

Going slow in sand will just tire you the gently caress out.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
It took me a while to stop getting pumped because I was so tense in my arms on sand. Mountain biking and skiing taught me to trust my legs and that the bike wants to stay up, and to be loosely goosey even when your tail is sliding out

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My dislike for sand riding is purely aesthetic. I think it looks like rear end and I'd rather ride in the woods.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
learning how to ride fast on sand is one of my top 3 learning moments in offroad in the last couple years, poo poo is super fun once you get the hang of it

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Not to mention it's torture on your bike. Any time I see a sand paddle or a dune flag on a used bike listing I just keep scrolling.

Also the first thing that comes to mind when I think of dune riding is Seth enslow from crusty demons 2. Every time.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Worse than sand are wet grassy ruts. You get locked into a channel filled with what behaves like ice and sometimes the walls are a couple of feet high so you've no choice but to ride them out til a break.

The storm over the last few days has brought down quite a few trees in the local area. The wind has been something else.

I was blasting along a lane and really feeling like over 4 solid dirt days this week I had really improved my technique a lot. It started to rain and I didn't mind at all, I was having so much fun wheeling through all the puddles.

Then my rear got a flat, right in the middle of a ridgetop pass with no exit roads for miles. I got.out of the habit of carrying my cheap spoons (because one snapped when new, cheap rubbish) so I had to inflate the tyre to 15 psi, ride 2 miles, and repeat until I got to a workshop.

Great day though.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
What do you carry for a pump? Like a little bike pump? I need to figure out my spares kit for the bike. On my mtb I usually carry a spare tube, levers, and inflator. A tiny multitool will fix anything on a mtb but not a Moto, do you carry a proper tool roll?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I carry a full roll with tools enough to do anything likely to happen on the road (including valve shims, which are overkill but it's a small spare set so why not). I just forgot to put my spoons in my pack.

I usually put them on the rack at the back, and have a hydration bag with layers and snacks on my back.

I carry this. I removed the cigarette lighter attachment and put a female superseal there instead. I have a male superseal on the bike that serves as a switched power source that I use for my phone etc. A hand pump would work but the above is absolutely fine now it's modified.

When I'm not spending all my disposable income on the house I'm going to redo my roll with better suited/smaller/lighter tools.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
anyone have experience with https://slavensracing.com/shop/lucky-cartridge-system-wp-xplor-forks/

thinking about it for the fe501, guy near me is selling em for 750. bike's planned useage is as an actual dual sport, so a lot of driving to trails

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

anyone have experience with https://slavensracing.com/shop/lucky-cartridge-system-wp-xplor-forks/

thinking about it for the fe501, guy near me is selling em for 750. bike's planned useage is as an actual dual sport, so a lot of driving to trails

what's wrong with your current setup?

personally, on a bike that comes with decent suspension out of the box (lol @ showa), I would not recommend throwing money on parts at it. I'd recommend seeing about having it revalved / resprung by a pro. you're likely going to be looking at a little bit more money, but you're also going to have it set up perfectly for your riding style / use case

it's not a bad deal at all, it just isn't what I'd personally do is all

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

right arm posted:

what's wrong with your current setup?

personally, on a bike that comes with decent suspension out of the box (lol @ showa), I would not recommend throwing money on parts at it. I'd recommend seeing about having it revalved / resprung by a pro. you're likely going to be looking at a little bit more money, but you're also going to have it set up perfectly for your riding style / use case

it's not a bad deal at all, it just isn't what I'd personally do is all

that's true, i'll play with the adjusters and see what i can get out of it stock.

spent all day today installing rad braces and wrestling with the rear fender trying to see what i can do with it. i'm slightly perplexed that the fe501s has TWO rear brake lights, and the one that has the license plate light is not the one that fits on the minimalized version of the fender.

i thought these looked neat though so I ordered one: https://www.enduroplate.com/

will figure the rest of the lights out after I get that in, and this all because sicassracing is like 8 months late on their 2020 fender elim kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

that's true, i'll play with the adjusters and see what i can get out of it stock.

spent all day today installing rad braces and wrestling with the rear fender trying to see what i can do with it. i'm slightly perplexed that the fe501s has TWO rear brake lights, and the one that has the license plate light is not the one that fits on the minimalized version of the fender.

i thought these looked neat though so I ordered one: https://www.enduroplate.com/

will figure the rest of the lights out after I get that in, and this all because sicassracing is like 8 months late on their 2020 fender elim kit

yeah I'd recommend setting your sag correctly first cause that's what the pros will ask you first before you start describing your issues with the stock suspension. once you've done that find a course you can run over and over (I used my commute) while you adjust the clickers til you find what feels best

if you're still not happy then I'd look into finding a local shop or someone online. I know konflict (worst name ever lol) does excellent work on WP units on the ADV KTMs, so I'm sure they could handle the fe501 just fine, but I'd just do some googling to see who has the best reviews of course

anyways, that plate kit is sweet!