Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
JJTrek Sarek, Ben Cross, died yesterday. He was 72.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Like I have done before, I'll point out that the Maquis didn't form because the Cardassians were ceded ownership of Federation colony planets by treaty. The Maquis formed because the Cardassians then violated the treaty by trying to kill them/force them off the land, and the Federation didn't do anything to stop that. If the Cardassians had let the Federation colonists alone, which they were obligated to do by the terms of the treaty, or if the Federation did something to hold Cardassia accountable for breaking the treaty, the Maquis wouldn't have formed.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Given what we know about he Ferengi, how possible is it for Rom to actually effectively change society?

Getting a 'progressive' Grand Nagus doesn't mean much if the systemic forces are 100% against any kind of reform.

Just think there's probably 1000 other people just like Brunt who are opportunists and want to maintain status quo.

Is it more likely that Rom gets ganked, or that he ineffectually 'rules' and people don't follow his example?

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think another thing that's not talked about is that a utopia does not mean it is a benevolent society. The Federation treats its citizens very well, but is less concerned about people outside of its territory, and it raises the question of how far will you go to maintain your utopia.

They do let non-Federation but human colonies devolve into rape planets. As long as the last functioning government says no to Federation involvement, they are perfectly fine just ignoring massive suffering.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

xerxus posted:

Given what we know about he Ferengi, how possible is it for Rom to actually effectively change society?

Getting a 'progressive' Grand Nagus doesn't mean much if the systemic forces are 100% against any kind of reform.

Just think there's probably 1000 other people just like Brunt who are opportunists and want to maintain status quo.

Is it more likely that Rom gets ganked, or that he ineffectually 'rules' and people don't follow his example?
I think the ideal scenario is Ferengi like Rom who aren't proficient at business are encouraged to pursue other professions.

Of the three main Ferengi characters, one is a decent business owner but doesn't have the sociopathy needed to become Really Rich (Quark), one has no business sense but excels in another field (Rom), and one rejected Ferengi society to pursue their own career (Nog). I like to think Ferengi society looks more like the Quark family than the usual Ferengi stereotypes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The show never really gives enough detail to know what is and isn't justified, I mean if any of the annoying little bastard fucker groups seems like a logical one to just put the boot on it's the Orions who have been a pain in the fuckin rear end since TOS

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Watching a bit of Enterprise on a whim and...sigh. I hate to admit it, but I'm beginning to accept that Deep Space Nine was always an outlier. It's like none of the shows after it want to borrow what made it so good.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nessus posted:

The Roddenberry vision was mystifying, but a lighter version where the core crew do not seem to all loathe each other or be laden with secret agendas seems to be part of what has made TNG work so well. Indeed a lot of the core premise sacrifice in Voyager could be summarized as, they laid that on a crew where that made no sense - meanwhile there was a fairly modest amount of it in DS9.

The crew being well-adjusted professionals and basically decent and respectful people is what really sets TNG apart, especially nowadays where 'good character writing' too often means 'tough and cynical people making tough and cynical decisions toughly and cynically'

'No interpersonal conflict, everyone is perfect' is definitely mystifying though

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

Watching a bit of Enterprise on a whim and...sigh. I hate to admit it, but I'm beginning to accept that Deep Space Nine was always an outlier. It's like none of the shows after it want to borrow what made it so good.

People like Section 31, right? Yeah. Let's do Section 31.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

womb with a view posted:

People like Section 31, right? Yeah. Let's do Section 31.
How about we make Section 31 the good guys - but, listen to this - this is because they are actually in opposition to Section 32, who are the guys who initially created the Mirror Universe.

Their ruler? Two evil Spocks's dicks

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

The crew being well-adjusted professionals and basically decent and respectful people is what really sets TNG apart, especially nowadays where 'good character writing' too often means 'tough and cynical people making tough and cynical decisions toughly and cynically'

'No interpersonal conflict, everyone is perfect' is definitely mystifying though

I'm not a huge trek guy, but I've had some free time recently and have been watching tng, and this is so refreshing and makes it so nice to watch. Its so so so pleasant and fun but not dumb. I love it. I just watched the enemy from season 3, where jordi has to work with an injured Romulan to get off a stormy planet. It was so good.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I do find it kind of jarring when you have plots where someone doesn't fit right into this perfect world though, and Geordi flips out on them. Like Barclay's first episode, or the one where Scotty shows up and Picard has to tell Geordi to be nice, or the one where Geordi makes a sexy holodeck simulation of a real person. You'd think to get to this utopian ideal you would have to have a basic understanding of things like social anxiety, or being old, or being a woman.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
...you know, it hadn't occurred to me how much Geordi's the common element in stories where people don't fit in on the Enterprise.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think the ideal scenario is Ferengi like Rom who aren't proficient at business are encouraged to pursue other professions.

Of the three main Ferengi characters, one is a decent business owner but doesn't have the sociopathy needed to become Really Rich (Quark), one has no business sense but excels in another field (Rom), and one rejected Ferengi society to pursue their own career (Nog). I like to think Ferengi society looks more like the Quark family than the usual Ferengi stereotypes.

I don't think so. The compare/contrast is with the Klingons.

It varies depending on the story we are looking at, but the general rule is that while Klingon society places being a warrior as the most prestigious thing you can do, there are plenty of other paths a Klingon can go down as long as they act honourably and aren't a coward. An average Klingon warrior is will be overawed by meeting a famous priest, or opera composer, or brewer of the best bloodwine on Kronos. Klingons hate accounting tricks, but it wouldn't be out of place to have a story where Klingon warriors tell the tale of Kronk the Quartermaster who performed a heroic feat of logistics.

Conversely everything we are shown of Ferengi society is that your worth is considered to be your literal worth. Money is everything. So you can have a Ferengi Opera composer, but a Ferengi character will only care about the answer to 'how much did he sell the performance rights for?'.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BB2K posted:

I'm not a huge trek guy, but I've had some free time recently and have been watching tng, and this is so refreshing and makes it so nice to watch. Its so so so pleasant and fun but not dumb. I love it. I just watched the enemy from season 3, where jordi has to work with an injured Romulan to get off a stormy planet. It was so good.

Yeah it's great. TNG is like a warm bubble bath for me because of this (and the fact that it was such a fundamental part of my childhood my brain basically formed around it). It's been lockdown comfort food for awhile.

The world is bleak, insane and hopeless enough already. The world needs more optimistic, idealistic TV.

womb with a view posted:

I do find it kind of jarring when you have plots where someone doesn't fit right into this perfect world though, and Geordi flips out on them. Like Barclay's first episode, or the one where Scotty shows up and Picard has to tell Geordi to be nice, or the one where Geordi makes a sexy holodeck simulation of a real person. You'd think to get to this utopian ideal you would have to have a basic understanding of things like social anxiety, or being old, or being a woman.

Not unfair, yeah. I wonder if that's down to the time it was made. Or that its writers were nerdlingers and/or mostly men (I don't actually know if either of those are true, though)

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

...you know, it hadn't occurred to me how much Geordi's the common element in stories where people don't fit in on the Enterprise.

Riker's got a surprising mean streak in him too, but it's usually for professional incompetence. He doesn't care if you're weird on your own time, but if he thinks it's affecting operations (Ro and Barclay) he doesn't have any time for it.

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah it's great. TNG is like a warm bubble bath for me because of this (and the fact that it was such a fundamental part of my childhood my brain basically formed around it). It's been lockdown comfort food for awhile.

The world is bleak, insane and hopeless enough already. The world needs more optimistic, idealistic TV.

Not unfair, yeah. I wonder if that's down to the time it was made. Or that its writers were nerdlingers and/or mostly men (I don't actually know if either of those are true, though)

Yeah I think it had the right ideas mostly, but sometimes just tripped on itself in weird ways when writers brought in their current day line of thinking. Totally agree about the optimism though, I really wish I could find more (any?) media taking that approach today.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

womb with a view posted:

Riker's got a surprising mean streak in him too, but it's usually for professional incompetence. He doesn't care if you're weird on your own time, but if he thinks it's affecting operations (Ro and Barclay) he doesn't have any time for it.

That's 100% the job of an effective XO, tbf

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

To your reply, I completely agree. Sick of grim dark antihero bullshit.

But also, the jeordi making an ai of the sexy ship engineer was an ep or two before this and was so funny today. Its wild how his bad with women-ness was portrayed. I watched it with my gf and she was like 'this is really weird', and I was like, yeah, it really fucken is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I mean I used to watch Octonauts with my kid and that has no interpersonal conflict and is pretty dang good Trek

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

That's 100% the job of an effective XO, tbf

Yeah that's probably why it doesn't come off as off-putting as Geordi can sometimes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

xerxus posted:

They do let non-Federation but human colonies devolve into rape planets. As long as the last functioning government says no to Federation involvement, they are perfectly fine just ignoring massive suffering.

Every time someone tries to assassinate Rom he like bends over cause his shoes are untied and their shot hits like a giant bag of popcorn and everybody is up to their necks in popcorn and profits go up 200% cause everybody wants to be like the cooooool grand nagus they saw on TV.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I always felt like DS9 was just showing us more of what we had been told in TNG: That the federation is an utopia, but the galaxy is not. That there is a frontier, and frontier life is rough. That extraordinary people from the federation sometimes seek out frontier life, and are left to live and die with the consequences. The starfleet officers on DS9 are unique in that they're ostensibly meant to uphold federation and starfleet values while immersing themselves in frontier life, which is generally not the case with colonists, and independent explorers and traders, and the show plays with that contradiction. I don't believe these officers and their actions are meant to be completely representative of starfleet in general, because although the case can definitely be made that all people who go into starfleet are putting themselves in harms way, the people on DS9 sought out a very difficult assignment far from the utopia of the federation and that says something about them specifically.

The focus on interstellar war in later seasons shifts the premise somewhat, and I don't really care for it as much, but showing the corrupting influence of war on starfleet/federation ideals have been a thing since TOS.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 20, 2020

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

SardonicTyrant posted:

If I could change one thing from Voyager, it would be for the ship to suffer actual permanent damage, and then the crew did their best to repair it with whatever alien tech they could find, until it's a mishmash of like 5 different ships

If I had to change something, it would be to strand the ship in the Gamma Quadrant instead of the Delta Quadrant. It would start out as a Starfleet deep space mission to another quadrant, then the war starts, they can't get home, and they have to run from the Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant's equivalent of Farscape's Uncharted Territories.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

womb with a view posted:

Angry Salami posted:

i always appreciated that he was really good friends with data and wesley tbh. the three of them were basically the dork table at lunch

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Barry Foster posted:

The TNG writers guide doesn't quite say that:

quote:

SHOW A SOMEWHAT BETTER KIND OF HUMAN THAN TODAY'S AVERAGE. Our continuing characters are the kind of people that the STAR TREK audience would like to be themselves. They are not perfect, but their flaws do not include falsehood, petty jealousies and the banal hypocrisies common in the Twentieth Century.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Everyone having free therapy their entire lives probably helps interpersonal relationships and allows people to be better friends with less conflict, but it definitely wouldn't fix everything. It's why the TNG crew feels happier than DS9 and Voyager: they actually have someone who knows how to work through the weird stress and trauma of being in space to help them do that, Voyager has turning the safeties off on the Holodeck, and DS9 has a bar.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

curiousTerminal posted:

Everyone having free therapy their entire lives probably helps interpersonal relationships and allows people to be better friends with less conflict, but it definitely wouldn't fix everything. It's why the TNG crew feels happier than DS9 and Voyager: they actually have someone who knows how to work through the weird stress and trauma of being in space to help them do that, Voyager has turning the safeties off on the Holodeck, and DS9 has a bar.
Wasn't Neelix supposed to be the de facto ship's counselor originally

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn't Neelix supposed to be the de facto ship's counselor originally
I thought he was supposed to be some cross-breed of Han Solo and Chewbacca.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Another thing I'd change on Voyager: Lean in to the weird stuff happening to Harry Kim. He starts the series out as a wet blanket, by the end he's a weathered adventurer.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The TNG writers guide doesn't quite say that:

"B-B-But I heard Gene Roddenberry was evil and dumb and didn't really create Star Trek!"

It sounds like what they meant was that there wouldn't be dumb office politics on the ship, no backstabbing--basically not so different from TOS. Even Spock and McCoy would argue, but McCoy wasn't trying to get Spock fired because Spock kept turning up the heat in the rec room and suddenly since Spock came on board everyone in the lunch room ignored McCoy or something. I also wonder if there wasn't some trend about workplace drama on TV in the early 80s that made them say "yeah, none of that poo poo in the 24th century please."

I would say there were a lot of flaws and a lot of humanity present in the show as it started. Picard was clearly treating Wesley like a child, and the arc was intended to be that Wesley was a prodigy who had potential. And I don't know for sure, but IIRC the history between Picard and Wesley's father, and guilt over Jack's death, might have been something they intended to explore from the beginning. There was also the seeds of an arc with emotions and flaws in the prior relationship with Troi and Riker--this is for sure because it was a 1:1 copy of the Ilya and Decker history in TMP and something that would have been explored.

Now having said that, I can understand how a bunch of tv writers in the room might have felt constrained if they tried to do certain plots or character development only to have it shot down over and over to the point they felt "OK so Gene wants these to be perfect beige people with no flaws or emotions."

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
every time i think about it i accept that there might be flaws with how ds9 approached the morality of the federation or action sequences or the war at the end or a number of other things, but i am infinitely grateful it was made in the short span of time between tv shows that are blatantly old and outdated and prestige grimdark tv. theres no way that if the premise was approached today or even 10 years ago (ds9 lets say didnt exist at all) that it wouldn't be a catastrophic disaster

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think people get muddled between "Roddenberry's apparent vision based on the notes that got into public release, like the visions for Earth's surface in the first TOS movie" and his disputes with the writing staff early in TNG, and the general thrust that we actually got, which seems to be like that writer's note of "people aren't perfect but they aren't just generic 20th century dipshits in space."

It makes total sense to me, if you allow for a certain degree of myopia because he was first authored in the late 80s, for Geordi to be where he is. He's obviously got what it takes to be a talented and effective officer but he also has some weird quirks which are not necessarily disruptive in most circumstances but do come up in the context of some of the stressful environments on the Enterprise. And Geordi's nerd-rear end poo poo doesn't come up as a problem constantly. He makes his weirdo holo wife - which is weird - but it's not a running gag.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There was clearly a pretty extreme "we have evolved beyond such things" concept floating around somewhere in Gene's head post-TOS. The characters themselves said so on several occasions. Overall it was probably a good thing. The other writers had to fight hard against it, and the show got better when he couldn't be involved anymore, but it was probably better than the alternative.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Lower Decks is good and fun gently caress all you nerds :mad:

Edit: dammit I put this in the wrong thread

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Real Lower Decks move there

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

curiousTerminal posted:

In the later seasons, DS9 also had a Trill officer who was made a counselor because someone thought that several centuries of generic "life experience" is an acceptable substitute for actually studying how to be a proper therapist.

And the last episode of Lower Decks got me thinking: Is it just me, or are humans and Vulcans the only species capable of realizing that if you're meeting a member of a totally different culture, and they do something you consider rude, that it might have been an innocent mistake?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m watching Shore Leave and it looks like Bones is rocking some eye shadow...?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
60s TV makeup was fuckingawesome or horrible no in between

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

They pretty regularly talk about how the Andorians are a founding race of the federation and they're important and a big deal.

Why the gently caress do we see like 4 Andorians in total outside of TOS (which I haven't really watched and I don't think had that many Andorian characters either) but tons of every other race?

What is the deal with the Andorians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

They pretty regularly talk about how the Andorians are a founding race of the federation and they're important and a big deal.

Why the gently caress do we see like 4 Andorians in total outside of TOS (which I haven't really watched and I don't think had that many Andorian characters either) but tons of every other race?

What is the deal with the Andorians?

Blue people with wiggly antennae are silly. Too silly!

Green women with big bosoms though... that's very, very serious, and good