Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tjadeth posted:

it seems deeply hosed up to me that (at least in the US) you are almost certainly getting sedated for something like a colonoscopy, but when it comes to uterus-related procedures it's like "IUD placement? okay here's a tylenol, let's crack that cervix open"

while what you're suggesting is probably true in the UK too here in the UK I had a shoulder dislocation and they gave me IV midazolam and morphine and moved it back in. In the US it got forced into the socket without even as much as tylenol and then they gave me a percocet prescription lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Pick posted:

I started having periods so late I was legitimately afraid that I would never get them or had something sincerely wrong with my body. Which there is, but not that. I think i was 17 or something? Late enough that I had had time at that point to find out enough information from other people so that it wasn't that difficult to hop on board.

were you the subject of a stephen king novel?

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019
I learned about periods from my mom and in school, but for some reason I thought the blood only came out when you peed. I was surprised (and annoyed) when that did not turn out to be the case. At least I got a day off school out of it, and my mom bought me way too much McDonald's as a consolation.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

TeachesOfPeaches posted:

I learned about periods from my mom and in school, but for some reason I thought the blood only came out when you peed. I was surprised (and annoyed) when that did not turn out to be the case. At least I got a day off school out of it, and my mom bought me way too much McDonald's as a consolation.

This reminded me that back in highschool I had to have these intense annual physicals to work during the summer. Well the form included a line for a urine sample. Most of the time, the docs skipped it (the form was intended for the 40+ crowd). Well, one year they didn't and protein popped up in the test. Doc starts freaking out saying kidney failure. I innocently ask if it may pop up because I was on my period ( I was like 15, I had no idea what all caused protein in urine). His response "if you were on your period, there would be blood in the sample."

Uhhhh...ok. apparently I'm not on my period then doc...despite loving bleeding. :wtfdude:

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Just love a post-period yeast infection!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Uuuuuuuggghhhh there is so much blood in my body, whyyyyyy

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

Uuuuuuuggghhhh there is so much blood in my body, whyyyyyy

it means you're healthy.

like a dogs wet nose or a cats swishy tail.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Metaline posted:

Just love a post-period yeast infection!

that's rough! gotta press the reset button on that one.

I think this thread summon periods or something. After not having any bleeding for over a year two days ago I got some light spotting. It was kind of nice, like seeing an old friend who moved away. During this pandemic it's important to stay connected.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I think this thread summon periods or something.

Can women sink of their periods over the internet?!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Can women sink of their periods over the internet?!

yes, unfortunately periods cause a loss of buoyancy in the female body and women do indeed sink if placed in water during that time.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

loving hell this weekend we got invited to a friends pool and I thought my period was over but that morning it did this coy little return. Stupid bastard blood vagina. I was going to try a tampon but it was Sunday morning when we left and all the drugstores were closed. Had to just stick my legs in the wading pool with my kid. Then it turned out there was no more blood anyway. So gently caress you, blood vagina.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This thread should be :five: .

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
I think there is something broken inside me because even with a copper IUD my periods usually aren’t bad and sometimes are almost kinda good (especially for the laxative effect 10/10) but oh my god the week around when I ovulate makes me want to loving die. My whole pelvis feels swollen and disgusting and I have to pee like every 30 minutes and I think I’m allergic to my own cervical mucus or something because my whole vag just feels like a tube of discomfort even though as far as I can tell I don’t get any kind of infection. Having an orgasm makes things feel better for a little bit but that’s about all I can do for relief.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It would be very cool if my hormonal acne would vanish when my period does what the gently caress

Doctor Faustine posted:

I think there is something broken inside me because even with a copper IUD my periods usually aren’t bad and sometimes are almost kinda good (especially for the laxative effect 10/10) but oh my god the week around when I ovulate makes me want to loving die. My whole pelvis feels swollen and disgusting and I have to pee like every 30 minutes and I think I’m allergic to my own cervical mucus or something because my whole vag just feels like a tube of discomfort even though as far as I can tell I don’t get any kind of infection. Having an orgasm makes things feel better for a little bit but that’s about all I can do for relief.

Not a doctor but I’d recommend you go see one as I don’t think it’s a BC issue but maybe something like PID?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Wiping a thousand times but STILL getting blood all over my hands while inserting a tampon is just the best.

edit: happy period-versary to me

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 19, 2020

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

teen witch posted:

Not a doctor but I’d recommend you go see one as I don’t think it’s a BC issue but maybe something like PID?

I actually did see a doctor earlier this year and they ruled out PID. We determined that at least the weird gross swollen feeling was because my IUD has kind of dug into my uterine wall a little... then when I was scheduled to have it removed it had slipped back into place. I think it lodged in there again.

I really really want to stop using birth control all together because hormonal stuff absolutely destroys me and now this with the IUD. My husband and I have been discussing him getting snipped since we don’t want kids and we’re in our late 20s already.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Doctor Faustine posted:

I actually did see a doctor earlier this year and they ruled out PID. We determined that at least the weird gross swollen feeling was because my IUD has kind of dug into my uterine wall a little... then when I was scheduled to have it removed it had slipped back into place. I think it lodged in there again.

I really really want to stop using birth control all together because hormonal stuff absolutely destroys me and now this with the IUD. My husband and I have been discussing him getting snipped since we don’t want kids and we’re in our late 20s already.

I have not been able to sell the snip yet. I feel like I've done my part to be as infertile as possible; now he should take it over.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wiping a thousand times but STILL getting blood all over my hands while inserting a tampon is just the best.

:lol: at the end of this entry.

"I have my period. I can't.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

I used latex/vinyl/nitrile gloves for years for just that reason. (Glove material depended on what was available; I've bought vinyl & nitrile gloves from hardware stores that work just fine for this purpose and were generally cheaper than medical gloves.)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

YeahTubaMike posted:

that's really cool you still have that :3:

sacred day: 23 years of blood later

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I have not been able to sell the snip yet. I feel like I've done my part to be as infertile as possible; now he should take it over.

In my case every form of birth control I’ve tried has made me (and by extension, him) some stripe of completely miserable. This really is the least of all evils in our case.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Doctor Faustine posted:

"tube of discomfort" is a great way to put it. understated.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Literally A Person posted:

:lol: at the end of this entry.

"I have my period. I can't.

Oh there's more. This was very serious business, after all.

by "working out" I probably mean "messing around on the monkey bars", as I was wont to do, but I don't know for sure

xcheopis posted:

I used latex/vinyl/nitrile gloves for years for just that reason. (Glove material depended on what was available; I've bought vinyl & nitrile gloves from hardware stores that work just fine for this purpose and were generally cheaper than medical gloves.)

...interesting. I'm going to have to try that sometime.

Enfys posted:

that's really cool you still have that :3:

sacred day: 23 years of blood later

:black101: And yeah, I have all my diaries between Christmas 1994 and 2001-ish, and I still have the passwords to my Blogger & LJ accounts, so my preteen & teen life is quite well chronicled.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

'When I was younger and knew a lot less about womanhood,' the 10 year old said, 'I knew my problem was over.'

I love it so much :kimchi:

Enfys fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 19, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

YeahTubaMike posted:

"I can't" is a great way to end that.

E: f,b

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I was a very dramatic child. :corsair:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
By the way, Mike. Super loving cool you have that much of your life chronicled like that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
edit: Have we discussed the use of :420: for cramp relief? Because it rules.

Literally A Person posted:

By the way, Mike. Super loving cool you have that much of your life chronicled like that.

Yeah, I've moved a shitload of times, and my old diaries are basically the only stuff I haven't lost in any move :unsmith: Luckily I've lived in places where I never had to worry about them getting destroyed by weather or anything like that, but I've been meaning to take pictures of all the pages & put them all on a USB drive or something for added security.

My mom (a lifelong book nerd who majored in & taught English) taught me how to write pretty much as soon as I was physically capable of holding a pen, so she has a bunch of my scatterbrained pre-K ramblings too. Also, I have this weird lump on my right ring finger because I still hold a pen like a 3-year old, but that's neither here nor there.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 19, 2020

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
OH HEY PMS! I just wanna cry and eat pizza. Luckily my SO is super cool with it.

Ugh. My boobs hurt so bad and I just feel like absolute poop.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://twitter.com/Bubblenoma/status/1296017870556733440

What really stood out to me was that it apparently takes an average of 7.5 years to get diagnosed with endometriosis in one of the richest countries in the world. It's not even a difficult diagnosis - if there's doubt it's easily confirmed with a simple laparoscopic procedure.

One of the many reasons why it's so important to have more women in the healthcare system - as doctors, researchers, and as research subjects.

quote:

"When I was told my classic endometriosis symptoms were exaggerated and imaginary, I felt forced to accept it," said Mrs Bell from Mickleover, Derbyshire.

"This led to 17 years of pain, misery, and an eventual diagnosis of infertility.

"I have to live with the consequences, caused by a total lack of investigation by two medical professionals."

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Enfys posted:

https://twitter.com/Bubblenoma/status/1296017870556733440

What really stood out to me was that it apparently takes an average of 7.5 years to get diagnosed with endometriosis in one of the richest countries in the world. It's not even a difficult diagnosis - if there's doubt it's easily confirmed with a simple laparoscopic procedure.

One of the many reasons why it's so important to have more women in the healthcare system - as doctors, researchers, and as research subjects.

yeah, but insurances don't want to pay for a laparoscopic procedure or anything definitive right off the bat, and doctors generally have to have a large pile of "poo poo we've done already" before they can even try to get it covered for their patients

murcaaaa~~

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Pyrtanis posted:

yeah, but insurances don't want to pay for a laparoscopic procedure or anything definitive right off the bat, and doctors generally have to have a large pile of "poo poo we've done already" before they can even try to get it covered for their patients

murcaaaa~~

this was an NHS trust, your citizenship covers everything.

it's ignorance/arrogance/negligence on the part of healthcare professionals and nothing else.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Strumpie posted:

this was an NHS trust, your citizenship covers everything.

it's ignorance/arrogance/negligence on the part of healthcare professionals and nothing else.

and here I was thinking not-murca would be better for women, alas

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was a very dramatic child. :corsair:

Starting menstruation at 10. drat that sucks. :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah my sister began menstruating at 14 and her endometriosis didn't get diagnosed until she was in her 30s and they started examining why she couldn't get pregnant. Her periods had always been painful to the point of being disabling two or three days a month and she just got blown off.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I looked at my period calendar yesterday and I scheduled a rootcanal for the first day of my next period. We'll see which is worse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
men are bull poo poo about diagnosing gently caress crap. they're dumb as hell and have poo poo for brains. thanks.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pyrtanis posted:

and here I was thinking not-murca would be better for women, alas

It’s basically universally garbage in varying degrees. I know someone with endo here in Sweden and it’s no pleasure cruise. Or my boss who was recommended loving Paracetamol while giving birth by the nurses.

I’ve been lucky for pussy stuff here and I have yet to get the weird “ok but this is because you’re fat” talk from any medical professionals but I’ve heard some stories of some mean rear end nurses.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
One weird thing that popped up when I was getting giant cysts was that it was incredibly painful to wait to pee. That was always the indicator that I was in the back end of my cycle because any bladder pressure at all would result in stabbing lower right side abdominal pain. I had a 2 hour meeting once that I could not leave, needed to pee about 3/4 of the way through and was in visible enough pain that a couple of people asked if I was okay after. I told my doctor at the time about it and they just shrugged and told me it was probably just cramps and to excercise more. Once the cyst burst the pain went away and the doctor who followed up with me about told me it was pretty common since a big enough cyst will put pressure on the bladder if it's in the right spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Pick posted:

men are bull poo poo about diagnosing gently caress crap. they're dumb as hell and have poo poo for brains. thanks.

i see