Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Larryb posted:

So this game is impossible to be played completely solo then (or is it just extremely difficult to do so)?

Go cannot be completed. It can be played however you like. Most people make their own goals: reach Lv 40 (max level), finish the dex, getting as many shinies as possible, become a PvP God, or whatever you want to do. There's no official story or progression aside some event quests that give you mythicals like Mew or Celebi.

I spent my first year playing entirely solo because I didn't know anyone IRL who played -- and I didn't mind, it was fun to just walk during commute and catching whatever, sometimes going through different streets to get something rare. Then I found a local community for raids and started dedicated more time to raids, meeting different people and playing with them. Then Covid hit and the game was changed so the raids can be done remotely with your e-friends, including goons from different parts of the world.

And yet, raids are not the only way to play the game, since it's basically a sandbox with barely any defined goals as I mentioned.

PvP became a much bigger part of the game since early this year with different battle seasons. It's sort of fun, but it's mostly infuriating between the match making and the connection issues that make sure you'll lose at the worst possible time. It's not something to be played when you are a low level anyway, since PvP mons require a ton of resources to power up.

Larryb posted:

Also, how do you find gyms to begin with and what do you get from beating them?

Gyms are a turf war thing. There are three teams in-game (blue, red, yellow) and you take over gyms and hope they don't get taken over by the other teams before you hit the coin limit. Because that's the whole point of it: getting in-game currency to buy upgrades or clothing for your MC. Most people don't even bother with it after the novelty wears off or they already got enough storage upgrades and don't care for more.

Anyway, Go is more fun with other people, especially if they are people you know IRL, but it's fine solo too. Just don't treat it seriously at all. Play it as a chill sandbox MMO to do whatever. I like it as a complement to other Pokemon games (mainline and/or F2P). I currently also play Masters (and Pokemon Duel before that), and it's obviously a very different experience. If days were longer and I had more free time I'd probably also dedicate to playing more Pokken and TCG since those are also pretty interesting and unique takes on the series.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
As far as Free-To-Play mobile games go I've found Pokémon Go's monetization to be the least insidious, but soloing really brings it to the forefront. Taking on a gym full of high power Pokémon will eventually wear away at your team and stockade of healing items. The only way to heal is with items, and the only way to get those items is through leveling up (takes forever once you get into the mid twenties), pokéstops (you'll maybe get one or two and they're rare drops at that) or spending pokécoin (which is what daddy wants). Once you're in there, holding the gym by yourself long enough to get some coin will be equally difficult. If your Pokémon gets knocked out they faint, and that's even more healing items you gotta spend. If you want that more personal Pokémon experience you're at best gonna have to depend on people coming in behind you and backing you up during gym battles or filling in the tower for you after you've dropped off a Pokémon.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So I've been checked out of sword and shield for a while and the content in the upcoming DLC. With all of the quality of life changes with regards to being able to customize EVs, IVs, natures, and abilities with items, are we able to change a Pokemon with a hidden ability to its normal non-hidden ability?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mabels big day posted:

So I've been checked out of sword and shield for a while and the content in the upcoming DLC. With all of the quality of life changes with regards to being able to customize EVs, IVs, natures, and abilities with items, are we able to change a Pokemon with a hidden ability to its normal non-hidden ability?

Data miners have identified a partially-implemented item, likely to be distributed in Crown Tundra, that can change a regular ability to a hidden one - but not the other way around.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Data miners have identified a partially-implemented item, likely to be distributed in Crown Tundra, that can change a regular ability to a hidden one - but not the other way around.

All we need after this is something to change poke balls and there would literally be nothing left that I want.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I tried online battles, sorry to see that people are still quitting out to escape losses. Also apparently we can use legendaries in player battles now!?! I remember BW2 tried something to combat the quit-scumming issue with a softban where players are temporarily unable go back online after disconnecting during an online battle (think it was only 5 minutes - that mighta been the problem.) The BW2 softban made zero difference anyways, quitting out is just what people are going to do. I kept a running tally for over 300 BW2 battles and it was basically all opponents quitting.

mfcrocker posted:

If you can be bothered it's possible to get mons from gen 3 to gen 8. It's a total ballache to go that far, but gen 6 to 8 is as simple as game > Bank > Home > sword/shield
So my best teams are all on BW2 (genV.) There's no online for DS games (gone forever) so I guess I could do a local IR trade from my DS lite to my 2DSXL to move them onto X/Y and put them on pokemon bank and I assume sun/moon also will let me the pokebank. I've never used the pokebank I have some real hangup on subscription services but I guess I should considering I've caught most of the pokemons but most importantly an imposter ditto.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sanctum posted:

I tried online battles, sorry to see that people are still quitting out to escape losses. Also apparently we can use legendaries in player battles now!?! I remember BW2 tried something to combat the quit-scumming issue with a softban where players are temporarily unable go back online after disconnecting during an online battle (think it was only 5 minutes - that mighta been the problem.) The BW2 softban made zero difference anyways, quitting out is just what people are going to do. I kept a running tally for over 300 BW2 battles and it was basically all opponents quitting.

I think quitting gives you a loss - it definitely gives your opponent a win.

quote:

So my best teams are all on BW2 (genV.) There's no online for DS games (gone forever) so I guess I could do a local IR trade from my DS lite to my 2DSXL to move them onto X/Y and put them on pokemon bank and I assume sun/moon also will let me the pokebank. I've never used the pokebank I have some real hangup on subscription services but I guess I should considering I've caught most of the pokemons but most importantly an imposter ditto.

Gen 5 -> Gen 8 isn't too bad.

Gen 5: Put everything you wanna move into Box 1 and use the Poke Transporter to move it to Bank. Repeat as necessary.
Bank: You can move directly to HOME as a menu option
HOME: Direct drag and drop to gen 8

I dunno if its still on offer, but they were offering a free month of Bank to everyone when HOME was released. If not, it should be cheap as chips to get a month.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gen 4 to 5 was the real bullshit step in my efforts to get everything on bank when it opened.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Sanctum posted:

I don't mind when people quit as much since it does give you the win, and the battles in Sword and Shield are kind of unbearably slow? The attack animations aren't bad, but then you got abilities, items, terrain and weather that have to go through each Pokémon one at a time and either do chip healing or chip damage. Often both. Incineroar comes out and he's gotta intimidate each of your Pokémon separately and then the game has to tell you that both Pokémon had their attack lowered separately and it's like, WE KNOW. That happens multiple times a battle! I'll usually forfeit when I know I don't have a chance in hell of making a come back just to save some time, but even then you gotta wait for your opponent to decide what to do and sometimes after you've already surrendered they'll make you wait for your Dyanamax Pokémon to slowly shrink back down and get back in their ball.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wrapped up a fun project last week: game cases/box art for RBY and GSC, since I really don't want to track down/collect cardboard boxes. My RSEFRLG games are in the DPPtHGSS cases since they have the GBA slots in there.

(v. upset with how poorly I sliced off the bottom left corner of the GSC back, whoops)

The cases are these "stamp cases" which are just fatter DVD cases without a disc hub in there, and this is how the games are stored:

Game Boy Cartridge cases velcroed inside. Doesn't really have room for manuals, but, eh.

e: forgot to include actual looks at the cases

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 19, 2020

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Wrapped up a fun project last week: game cases/box art for RBY and GSC, since I really don't want to track down/collect cardboard boxes. My RSEFRLG games are in the DPPtHGSS cases since they have the GBA slots in there.

(v. upset with how poorly I sliced off the bottom left corner of the GSC back, whoops)

The cases are these "stamp cases" which are just fatter DVD cases without a disc hub in there, and this is how the games are stored:

Game Boy Cartridge cases velcroed inside. Doesn't really have room for manuals, but, eh.

e: forgot to include actual looks at the cases

To quote Prof Oak:

"That is loving sick bro."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Scholtz posted:

This is cool as gently caress

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
There doesn’t seem to be a Pokémon Masters thread so I’ll ask it here: what the heck are the point of these diamonds I keep getting? The banner pulls use diamonds but not FREE diamonds so they are just piling up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

There doesn’t seem to be a Pokémon Masters thread so I’ll ask it here: what the heck are the point of these diamonds I keep getting? The banner pulls use diamonds but not FREE diamonds so they are just piling up.

They can be used to replenish stamina and unlock new/better characters (check the Spotlight Scout banners at the top)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 19, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The banner pulls also use the free diamonds, you just can't use the daily "discount". Do a pull of 10 for every pokefair banner because those have exclusive (usually better) characters, currently Cynthia & Kommo-o, after Red & Charizard in a couple of weeks.

Do not use the diamonds for anything but character pulls.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kikas posted:

To quote Prof Oak:

"That is loving sick bro."

MorningMoon posted:

This is cool as gently caress

Thanks for the kind words!

Since the backs are "customized" with my teams from back then, I thought I'd make more generalized ones incase anyone else wants to make them. Here's the first one (at 300ppi)

Feels weird using HGSS art for a Gen 1.box but oh well. Still trying to think of something for Gen 2.

But yeah, feel free to print your own/share. All I ask is that you don't mass produce/profit from it.

e: ugh forgot about imgur compression, hopefully this works

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 19, 2020

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Feels weird using HGSS art for a Gen 1.box but oh well. Still trying to think of something for Gen 2.

You put the starters on the front and the legendaries on the back for Gen 1, so maybe you could do the reverse for Gen 2. Maybe the back has Ethan with a Typhlosion, Silver with a Feraligatr, and Kris with a Meganium. Or if that's too cluttered, just have the starters on the back and leave the humans out of it.

Your box art is great, by the way!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Scholtz posted:

As someone who also makes custom Pokemon covers for fun, I wholeheartedly approve.

Very nicely done!

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

I'm trying to put together a team for the PWT (doubles) in Black 2. What are the best picks in Togetic's pre-evolution learnset? Or is it not worth the investment as a normie in Gen 5?

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Oh hey, for all those interested in ranked battles online, starting next month they're actually banning the use of the top 10 Pokemon in both ranked singles and doubles.

Banned Pokémon: Venusaur, Gyarados, Porygon2, Tyranitar, Torkoal, Hippowdon, Magnezone, Togekiss, Excadrill, Whimsicott, Incineroar, Mimikyu, Rillaboom, Cinderace, Indeedee, Dragapult

This should honestly shake things up a lot and keep it interesting. And these bans extend to VGC as well.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
That is pretty crazy...

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Time for Lapras to kick some rear end.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Holy poo poo they did exactly what I asked, Gamefreak are you in the thread? Bring back Pokéball seals!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Plasbad posted:

Oh hey, for all those interested in ranked battles online, starting next month they're actually banning the use of the top 10 Pokemon in both ranked singles and doubles.

Banned Pokémon: Venusaur, Gyarados, Porygon2, Tyranitar, Torkoal, Hippowdon, Magnezone, Togekiss, Excadrill, Whimsicott, Incineroar, Mimikyu, Rillaboom, Cinderace, Indeedee, Dragapult

This should honestly shake things up a lot and keep it interesting. And these bans extend to VGC as well.

What the gently caress

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Plasbad posted:

Most of these I get, but what does Indeedee do that is so terrifying?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Psychic Surge/Expanding Force/Follow Me/Trick Room makes Indeedee a good support mon on a lotta different team types.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Geostomp posted:

Expanding force is terrifying and Psychic terrain blocks Grassy Glide.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Geostomp posted:

I guess I haven’t been deep into competitive battling for a while so I don’t get most of these. I also still don’t know much about terrain moves or the strategies around them.
I assume, for example, Hippowdon is a physical tank with Sand Stream on a sandstorm team? What makes it different than other Sand Stream mons? Also why Porygon2 and not PorygonZ?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RatHat posted:

Expanding force is terrifying and Psychic terrain blocks Grassy Glide.

Kinda, because unlike most priority moves, it's just a basic attack without the grass on the ground.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Plasbad posted:

Huh, that's a big surprise

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I guess I haven’t been deep into competitive battling for a while so I don’t get most of these. I also still don’t know much about terrain moves or the strategies around them.
I assume, for example, Hippowdon is a physical tank with Sand Stream on a sandstorm team? What makes it different than other Sand Stream mons? Also why Porygon2 and not PorygonZ?

I think doubles are a large factor in these. Porygon2 with eviolite and/or trick room is a handy partner and I don't know what Hippowdon does beyond giving Excadrill a sandstorm and having yawn. This list pretty much eliminates every team I've been playing in doubles recently, which is kinda bittersweet cause I finally got my favorite team balanced enough to tear apart the meta teams if I don't screw up the predictions.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ban Landorus next and watch the nerds cry

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

TheHan posted:

I think doubles are a large factor in these. Porygon2 with eviolite and/or trick room is a handy partner and I don't know what Hippowdon does beyond giving Excadrill a sandstorm and having yawn. This list pretty much eliminates every team I've been playing in doubles recently, which is kinda bittersweet cause I finally got my favorite team balanced enough to tear apart the meta teams if I don't screw up the predictions.

I never really got into competitive double battles so that explains a lot. Yeah I could see Excadrill and Hippowdon being a strong pairing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Violet_Sky posted:

Ban Landorus next and watch the nerds cry

Ban all Legendary/Mythical/Ultra Beasts you cowards

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheHan posted:

Having sandstorm and yawn ticks a lot of meta boxes. Even if you're not running excadrill you need a way to reset weather, mainly for sun but there's the odd rain team out there too. Yawn is just excellent.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hippowdon has always complemented TTar really well and since TTar is amazing the hippo is hip

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Optimist Prime posted:

I'm trying to put together a team for the PWT (doubles) in Black 2. What are the best picks in Togetic's pre-evolution learnset? Or is it not worth the investment as a normie in Gen 5?
Not sure how relevant it is to PWT, but did you check the VGC format of 2012? (Also, I wasn't sure if you meant Togetic's pre-evolution of Togepi, or Togetic as a pre-evolution to Togekiss, so...)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Optimist Prime posted:

Togetic is booty and not worth using, definite evolution or bust with that one

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

I'm going to evolve Togetic, I just need to know which moves to keep before its level-up moves get whittled down to four via stone evolution. And thanks for the Smogon link - I've mainly been consulting Bulbapedia and Serebii, but the in-depth strategies on Smogon are exactly what I've been looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Optimist Prime posted:

I'm going to evolve Togetic, I just need to know which moves to keep before its level-up moves get whittled down to four via stone evolution. And thanks for the Smogon link - I've mainly been consulting Bulbapedia and Serebii, but the in-depth strategies on Smogon are exactly what I've been looking for.

Aura Sphere for Ice/Rock/Normal walls
Silver Wind for stat-ups and Psychic/Dark/Grass walls
Air Slash with King's Rock means 70% Flinch chance if you're faster (Although I don't remember if Thunder Wave is a banned move or not)