Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Skwirl posted:

Is Mirror Master Scottish on the show?

Last name's McCulloch which is pretty Scottish but she doesn't have an accent and the actress is Israeli so it depends what you count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How Alan Moore-y does the Swamp Thing show get? Do they do the whole not really Alec Holland thing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Iris is going to punch down the walls of reality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

How Alan Moore-y does the Swamp Thing show get? Do they do the whole not really Alec Holland thing?

Yeah and it's really lovely.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bruceski posted:

Last name's McCulloch which is pretty Scottish but she doesn't have an accent and the actress is Israeli so it depends what you count.

Booooooooo.

Also loving lol at making Mirror Master a woman. Normally I'm completely fine with with changing a character's race or gender, but I feel like Arrowverse shows do this poo poo to avoid cutting royalty checks to the character's original creators.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Makes the blindingly obvious Doctor Light / Mirror Master team seem like an incredibly bad idea.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Booooooooo.

Also loving lol at making Mirror Master a woman. Normally I'm completely fine with with changing a character's race or gender, but I feel like Arrowverse shows do this poo poo to avoid cutting royalty checks to the character's original creators.

She's Mirror Master II. Eva instead of Evan.

Mirror Master I (Scudder) was in a previous season.

Also DC absolutely does that. They're better than Marvel who pays nothing, but they do their best to avoid paying them for side characters.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
See also:
Curtis Holt instead of Michael Holt for Mr. Terrific
Caitlin Snow instead of Crystal Frost or Louise Lincoln for Killer Frost
Cisco Ramone instead of Paco Ramone for Vibe
Jefferson "Jax" Jackson instead of Jason Rusch for half of Firestorm (an unrelated Jason Rusch made a guest appearance on Flash once, as a tease before they introduced Jax)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Booooooooo.

They don't usually do that with gender changing the character but usually just give the character a different name. For instance, instead of having an African American Firestorm who goes by the name Jason Rusch, they have an African American Firestorm that goes by the name Jefferson Jackson.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love when they go back to Slave era America one of the slaves says to Jax "Those are two powerful slaveholders names you have".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

According to Gerry Conway, it gets even more complicated than just secret identity name changes.

Dan Jurgen who created Caitlin Snow gets nothing, because you don't get royalties for legacy/derivative characters. But Conway and Al Milgrom at the time also got nothing, because they only ever named her Caitlin Snow for 3 or 4 seasons and never Killer Frost. She eventually did adopt the Killer Frost name for some episodes, but I'd bet they only get a check for those specific episodes where she appears as Killer Frost.

I don't know what the deal is in a case like Cisco where the character does use the superhero name of their inspiration, but the real name is not an existing comic version.

The most well known case in this royalty mess is Len Wein who lives off the royalties for creating Lucius Fox, and hasn't made poo poo all for creating Wolverine. Jim Starlin is in a similar situation, where he made more money off KGBeast being in BvS than Thanos in the entire MCU.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 7, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That Spider-Man cartoon finally went past one of the most annoying parts. His identity is revealed to Gwen and Anya now. It wasn't even his own decision and he was planing to keep them ignorant for no good reason indefinitely.
Seriously, up til now he was basically doing science stuff with the girls, figuring out villain weaknesses and such. And when it came to strike he was all, "You go get your costumes and fight, I will just hang out here and take a nap. Say hi to Spider-Man for me, if he happens to show up." At some point, secret identities just become a unnecessary and mean spirited exercise in gas lighting.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Surprised no one talked about the final season of Agents of Shield here

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Cool effects, some of the "logic" was hard to follow but very emotionally satisfying. For a show that never quite knew when "the end" was going to be, this was a pretty good ending.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Surprised no one talked about the final season of Agents of Shield here

I'm honestly surprised it wasn't cancelled years ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jensen Ackles is joining the cast of The Boys for season 3. He's playing the original superhero Soldier Boy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Alhazred posted:

I'm honestly surprised it wasn't cancelled years ago.

So were they. Every season after the 4th had that "okay guys, this is the last season for sure" feeling.

Love the show.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Jensen Ackles is joining the cast of The Boys for season 3. He's playing the original superhero Soldier Boy.

Is he gonna crank that?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jesus christ Doom Patrol is good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

If it doesn't get a third season I'll be so mad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Especially when he shows up

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s amazing we live in a world so over saturated with super hero content that a Doom Patrol tv show comes out, and it’s not a big deal. I’m only five episodes into the first season, and it seems like so much already.

And I know some people hate to hear it, but Cyborg is pretty cool. He just doesn’t get any good solo stories in the comics.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s amazing we live in a world so over saturated with super hero content that a Doom Patrol tv show comes out, and it’s not a big deal. I’m only five episodes into the first season, and it seems like so much already.

And I know some people hate to hear it, but Cyborg is pretty cool. He just doesn’t get any good solo stories in the comics.

It's a testament to how good Doom patrol is that in season 2 I really loved cyborg.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Stargirl is probably the most reactionary superhero thing I've seen in a while.

The villains of the show aim to stop global warming, provide universal healthcare, and end bigotry. But they're evil because they write them to be ok with killing 25 million people.

Just a really weird case of maybe they shouldn't have tried to be clever with this, and just have the bad guys want to conquer the world or whatever.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

Stargirl is probably the most reactionary superhero thing I've seen in a while.

The villains of the show aim to stop global warming, provide universal healthcare, and end bigotry. But they're evil because they write them to be ok with killing 25 million people.

Just a really weird case of maybe they shouldn't have tried to be clever with this, and just have the bad guys want to conquer the world or whatever.

Are the 25 million chuds too?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Are the 25 million chuds too?

It's explicitly stated that it'll be completely random (though they also say it'll happen to anyone who fights the mind control too hard, which I imagine basically everyone would?) so no one can go "well maybe it'll kill bad people".

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I mean, DC has a long history of this. Ra's Al Ghul. Poison Ivy. They have kind of a thing with taking leftist goals and making the person who wants to accomplish them a bloodthirsty villain.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think it's a whiplash thing from thinking about how much something like the Justice League could actually change the world for the better as opposed to just helping to maintain the status quo

You have to show some consequences and have reasons why they don't just go all Miracle Man

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Retro Futurist posted:

I think it's a whiplash thing from thinking about how much something like the Justice League could actually change the world for the better as opposed to just helping to maintain the status quo

You have to show some consequences and have reasons why they don't just go all Miracle Man

Editorial fiat.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I mean, DC has a long history of this. Ra's Al Ghul. Poison Ivy. They have kind of a thing with taking leftist goals and making the person who wants to accomplish them a bloodthirsty villain.

Marvel did this same exact thing when the X-men turn the Earth into a post-scarcity paradise without armed conflict in 10 days but the Avengers talk with the president of the United States and decide that this cannot stand! - kicking off the Avengers vs X-men story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Editorial fiat.

Most Fiats are really small cars, even Batman could probably tip one over.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing with the ISA's plan in Stargirl is that the progressive stuff was just how they were portraying themselves to the world to justify their takeover. We don't know if that was actually how they were reprogramming people. Considering their not great stance on brainwashing it's pretty safe to say they weren't going to actually make a better America.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The thing with the ISA's plan in Stargirl is that the progressive stuff was just how they were portraying themselves to the world to justify their takeover. We don't know if that was actually how they were reprogramming people. Considering their not great stance on brainwashing it's pretty safe to say they weren't going to actually make a better America.

Yeah, hard to say how long that would have lasted and if all the members really wanted that because they thought it would make a better world or because it would be better for them

The only thing I didn't really like was that they made Grundy into a dumb Hulk brute and we didn't get the nursery rhyme. I was just waiting to hear "Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm not watching Stargirl (is it on HBOMax? I know Supergirl and Batwoman are) so I can't comment on it specifically, but even that kinda poo poo is annoying because it totally plays into ideas like "they just want medicare 4 all so a death panel can kill your grandma" "free college is an attempt to make everyone Marxist robots" "any environmental law that impacts your behavior in any way is really just an attempt to control you"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At least the heroes question themselves when they discover the plan. But It's pretty obvious that while Icicle probably did want this stuff, everyone else was just vile. I highly doubt an utter sociopath like Brainwave would be happy with everyone being happy and M4A. Or the Gambler who is just a complete dickhole. Not to mention Dragon King who had no qualms about chopping up his own daughter to "improve her".

But yea I kind of came around to my earlier complaint about this show being a bit too flag waving rah rah rah America #1 at a time where America has kinda decided that its just going to embrace its worse aspects of hatred, greed and self interest. I don't think anyone but nazis and boaters are looking at the Flag going "yes this is a country that represents me".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, hard to say how long that would have lasted and if all the members really wanted that because they thought it would make a better world or because it would be better for them

The only thing I didn't really like was that they made Grundy into a dumb Hulk brute and we didn't get the nursery rhyme. I was just waiting to hear "Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday"

He can come back with the nursery rhyme one. Each time he dies new aspect shows up. I just hope they don’t do shade dirty in season 2

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I see Stargirl is on Amazon Prime now, was it any good?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bessantj posted:

I see Stargirl is on Amazon Prime now, was it any good?

I thought it had a rough start but was worth watching in the end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been idly thinking of the Invisibles show that was announced a while ago, and I'm on the fence whether it's the perfect thing to do in 2020 (or whenever, have there been any recent news anyway?) or very much not.

Pros: diverse cast out of the box, handles political and social themes pertinent to them, general theme of "fight the fascist authoritarians."

Cons: good guys are heavily into conspiracy theories, like vaccines actually are a tool of the oppressors in Invisibles world and something like coronavirus and associated social restrictions totally would be too; sympathetic protagonist starts out as vocally homo- and transphobic dickhead; eventual turn towards compassion for the bad guys and reflection on violence committed against them which I kinda feel is not en vogue at the moment, to different degrees in different strata of antiauthoritarian movements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

Poison Ivy has been more and more sympathetically portrayed though. In Arkham Knight she sacrifices her life to save Gotham for example