Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's just one of the many launchers nowadays so whatever, I'll be playing it irregardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zedd posted:

It's just one of the many launchers nowadays so whatever, I'll be playing it irregardless.

The one I'm missing is the Bethesda Launcher. I think I have all others!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Do not give your money to Chinese companies while they continue to put people in concentration camps, illegally harvest inmates organs, and try and destroy the sovereignty of any nation's bordering them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ugh. This was the one game that I would have bought on Steam on day one. Normally I wait for 50% off sales, since I've got such an enormous backlog on Steam and GOG to keep me occupied (especially now that I bought a modern rig last year). See you all in a year and half, I guess?

Edit: They probably need reliable money now that they are independent, but I am not such a fanboy that I am going to go blindly along with all their decisions. I am a needy and fickle consumer!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 20, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dabir posted:

well, I've had some good times with this series, shame they'll be coming to an end

e: TIMED exclusive. 12 months. cmon.

oh gently caress ooooofffffff

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So how well does Hitman run on PS4?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I probably won't be playing Hitman 3 for a long time but Dartmoor should be a great location. It's a beautiful part of the country and I've been waiting for another UK map since Contracts.

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't had any problems with it, though I don't play games on PC very often so my standards could be low.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really don't give a poo poo which launcher it is as long as my progress carries over and I don't have to like, re-buy the content from the old games

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Do not give your money to Chinese companies while they continue to put people in concentration camps, illegally harvest inmates organs, and try and destroy the sovereignty of any nation's bordering them.

not sure how the epic deal changes anything then, you already couldn't play hitman without using hardware manufactured by chinese companies

or does your bold stance to save the uyghurs end where it becomes too inconvenient

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

RBA Starblade posted:

No issues playing 2016 on a PS4 Pro. Can't imagine Hitman 2 was any worse.

Epic take a 12% cut of sales compared to Steam's 30%. If anything I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. It's just a launcher, though, who cares.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'll just get it on my PSpoor then lol

I wonder if unlocks would be tied to the io account or the actual save file though? I have Hitman 1 from PS+ or something on there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

not sure how the epic deal changes anything then, you already couldn't play hitman without using hardware manufactured by chinese companies

or does your bold stance to save the uyghurs end where it becomes too inconvenient

Yes because I've bought at least one Chinese product in the past I should continue to support them. What a well made and intelligent point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll just get it on my PSpoor then lol

I wonder if unlocks would be tied to the io account or the actual save file though? I have Hitman 1 from PS+ or something on there.

Hitman 2 didn't even carry over Hitman 1's unlocks so...

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RBA Starblade posted:

Runs fine. Also it’s 132 GB.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DalaranJ posted:

Runs fine. Also it’s 132 GB.

Rip my 400gb hard drive

quote:

Hitman 2 didn't even carry over Hitman 1's unlocks so...

That's true, I guess I'd just miss out on re-re-unlocking everything

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure they've confirmed that h3 was gonna carry over unlocks. I'm not too bothered I guess. Might be kinda fun going back into the levels full on sight procurement style. Hokkaido was at its best before I unlocked items.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaius Marius posted:

Yes because I've bought at least one Chinese product in the past I should continue to support them. What a well made and intelligent point.

This is ridiculous because it's so impossible to actually enforce in your life making a huge stink about it honestly kind of comes off as racist. You can't "vote with your wallet" against loving China, so giving it undue emphasis is weird.

The Chinese government is loving terrible, don't get me wrong, but the way you're framing this is absurd.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?” The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.” “Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…” I made a difference for that one.”

Just because you can't be perfect doesn't mean you should give up. In this case it's just as easy for me to not support the CCP as it is for me to pay them my money. This sort of I can't do anything so I won't even try is why things don't happen

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point is: one, that specifically hyperfixating on the CCP is loving weird, especially considering that a lot of the anti-China stuff in the games space these days is pretty racist.

Two, you don't actually seem to be doing anything else to divest yourself from China, you're just not downloading a games launcher you don't like.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Gaius Marius posted:

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?” The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.” “Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…” I made a difference for that one.”

Just because you can't be perfect doesn't mean you should give up. In this case it's just as easy for me to not support the CCP as it is for me to pay them my money. This sort of I can't do anything so I won't even try is why things don't happen

You can throw them like ninja stars

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arist posted:

My point is: one, that specifically hyperfixating on the CCP is loving weird, especially considering that a lot of the anti-China stuff in the games space these days is pretty racist.

Two, you don't actually seem to be doing anything else to divest yourself from China, you're just not downloading a games launcher you don't like.

It's okay to minimize what you do in ways you can, or not. No one's judging you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"If you can't divest yourself from the CCP in every way possible, just don't bother" is some real hot poo poo.

China is in every aspect of America's supply chain, we've shipped them gobs of our industrial capacity, we (as a society) hosed up real bad. Of course some rando deciding not to support Tencent isn't going to solve the problem, but it's a moral decision and they are entitled to make it. Mocking them is poo poo.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"If you can't divest yourself from the CCP in every way possible, just don't bother" is some real hot poo poo.

China is in every aspect of America's supply chain, we've shipped them gobs of our industrial capacity, we (as a society) hosed up real bad. Of course some rando deciding not to support Tencent isn't going to solve the problem, but it's a moral decision and they are entitled to make it. Mocking them is poo poo.

yeah but it makes others feel something for compromising.

I think?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm probably just getting worked up because the anti-EGS discourse is so loving awful and stupid, but it's weird to get all self-righteous about not downloading a games launcher, something it seems you already had no plans to do.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Arist posted:

I'm probably just getting worked up because the anti-EGS discourse is so loving awful and stupid,

How so?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My number one problem with EGS exclusives is that the games never start with "we're going to be exclusive for a year", it's always a surprise several months later. I understand that's probably how they work, but the bait and switch really leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

e: Starting with "hitman 3 in 2022 okay" would have been better instead of being hyped for it coming next year, at least in my case.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Presumably all the missions and stuff from 1+2 on Steam will still transfer to the Ebin version?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

We were so busy discussing the timed exclusivity on PC we weren't discussing the Southern accent 47 will have for this mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srCtPsZnJW8

That grey-haired lady is a Partner right?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 20, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It just rings extremely hollow to me that EGS is the only thing where China's crimes seem to matter, almost as if it's not really about China but people are just mad that Steam isn't a monopoly anymore and want an excuse to be mad about it.

e.g. Tencent having a 40% stake in Epic is apparently a dealbreaker but their stakes in Bluehole/PUBG, Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile (80% ownership!), Actiblizzard, etc almost never come up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

repiv posted:

It just rings extremely hollow to me that EGS is the only thing where China's crimes seem to matter, almost as if it's not really about China but people are just mad that Steam isn't a monopoly anymore and want an excuse to be mad about it.

e.g. Tencent having a 40% stake in Epic is apparently a dealbreaker but their stakes in Bluehole/PUBG, Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile (80% ownership!), Actiblizzard, etc almost never come up.

It's incredibly dumb.

Anyway, yes, your progress and location unlocks are tied to your IOI account, so the launcher doesn't matter in terms of progress:

quote:

HITMAN 3 pre-orders are scheduled to go live later this month and we’re pleased to have an updated line-up of platforms. In January 2021, you’ll be able to play HITMAN 3 on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X, Xbox One, Google Stadia and PC, where the game will be available exclusively via Epic Games Store for 12 months.

As an independent studio, our partnership with Epic has given us the freedom to create HITMAN 3 exactly as we imagined and self-publish the game to our players directly. It’s also important to us that we honour the time our existing PC players have spent in our previous games.

With that in mind, we are pleased to confirm that PC players will be able to carryover their current progression and unlocks from HITMAN 2 on Steam into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. It will also be possible for PC players to import locations from the previous two games into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. We want to make it a seamless process for our PC players to enjoy HITMAN 3 on a different PC platform and continue to enjoy the benefits of our World of Assassination.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arist posted:

It's incredibly dumb.

Anyway, yes, your progress and location unlocks are tied to your IOI account, so the launcher doesn't matter in terms of progress:

Lol guess I'm starting over on PS4 then if I don't just wait. I wonder if that's a technical thing or a platform thing or both?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Not wanting to indirectly support a fascist government makes you a racist. hth

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

I haven't bought a game from any of those companies in years. I own more games on GOG than I do on steam. Bringing up those companies would've been irrelevant to the conversation. The fact that you'd think I'm some sort of steam warrior instead of having true moral convictions is very sad.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

lol, the new level they revealed is unashamedly ripping off Knives Out and it rules

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Is depriving fantastic-but-struggling independent developer IOI of $52 in order to prevent an entity tertiarilly related to the CCP of $8 really the clear cut moral choice?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

repiv posted:

Have you considered that there are people that don't do business with all of those companies as well?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
If you have a genuine issue with concentration camps and not respecting the sovereignty of other nations you probably shouldn't be buying anything on Steam either :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaius Marius posted:

I haven't bought a game from any of those companies in years. I own more games on GOG than I do on steam. Bringing up those companies would've been irrelevant to the conversation. The fact that you'd think I'm some sort of steam warrior instead of having true moral convictions is very sad.

Then I've got bad news for you about Steam

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

It runs fine off the SSD in my old model PS4 although the loading times are much worse than on my PC (where it's sitting on a spinning metal drive because :v:). Maybe I'll play on PS5 or w/e, gently caress Epic (sorry IOI).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
There’s plenty of reasons to not like the Epic Games Store and not want to do business with it that are unrelated to the creeping, intertwined nature of capitalism and the futility of boycotting.