Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ConfusedUs posted:

I've launched many rockets before, but now, for 1.0, I want to try something new and different. I want to do a run where resources are moved about in nontraditional ways, as much as possible. This means a minimum of belts and a minimum of logistics bots.

The rules are simple: -Trains can only be used to transport raw resources from outposts to the main base. Sicknasty jumps, using Renai Transportation, are mandatory.
-Place the big unloading station in the middle of my base so trains have to bounce through the whole factory to get there.
-Thrower Inserters and associated stuff like buckets/open chests (also from Renai) are used to move resources around locally.
-Direct insertion is allowed.
-Transport Drones are used for moving bulk resources within the base itself.
-Can only use belts where there is no alternative.
-Logistics bots can only be used for resupply.
-No restrictions until I get everything in red/green science. This should let me get a basic mall up and running in a reasonable timeframe.

Any suggestions/ideas? I'm tempted to add "must barrel liquids" to this, but barreling is kind of annoying.

No solar. If you stick to those rules for power generation it should get interesting with nuclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Majere posted:

Seablock was most assuredly written by a sadist.

Mostly due to expensive recipes being on by default.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

lol, 283 hours later, "finally automated red science packs!" no.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
A few questions for you all:

* I just got to making blue science, and it looks like my original base iron and coal are starting to run out. What are my options as far as generating power goes, if I'm mostly relying on coal for now? I can do more solar power, to lighten the load during the day. The other option is to train in a ton of coal from elsewhere. There's also uranium, but I'm not sure I even have access to a unanium power generator at the blue science stage.

* Are trains with raw materials back to my main factory pretty much the primary way around my range to get access to more materials? I could always belt it in I suppose, gosh knows I have a ton of belts.

* Any major quality of life upgrades I should look for around the blue science tier? Laser turrets are great so that you don't have to bother with ammo. Anything else?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Solar is probably the traditional choice. You can definitely also ship more coal, or even ship oil in and put solid fuel in your boilers. Nuclear is an option too, though it’s complicated and expensive to research (800 blue science!) The good news is that once you set it up you’ll be set for ages on power. And let’s be honest, it’s much more stylish than the alternatives.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Majere posted:

lol, 283 hours later, "finally automated red science packs!" no.

It's my understanding that pyblock ends up requiring so many resources that the only real way to build a base is cells. That sounds interesting at first, but I doubt it would be anything other than tedious once you've set up your 100th cell. Has anyone played it?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

* I just got to making blue science, and it looks like my original base iron and coal are starting to run out. What are my options as far as generating power goes, if I'm mostly relying on coal for now? I can do more solar power, to lighten the load during the day. The other option is to train in a ton of coal from elsewhere. There's also uranium, but I'm not sure I even have access to a unanium power generator at the blue science stage.else?

Solar is free in terms of resources and pollution but requires a shitload of panels to generate a significant amount of power, you always want plenty of backup power. Your best bet is to set up automated production for solar panels and then go out and build your next coal mining outpost. Then when you get back you'll have enough panels to do something meaningful with them. Make sure to automate production of accumulators as well.

It's also possible to just skip solar power entirely, but I'd recommend them as the lack of pollution will slow down biter aggression.

Nuclear power has a lot of setup costs and i wouldn't start building it until you have a short-term solution to your power problems. You need chests full of uranium and a row of centrifuges doing kovarex enrichment before you can start relying on nuclear for your power needs.

DreadCthulhu posted:

* Are trains with raw materials back to my main factory pretty much the primary way around my range to get access to more materials? I could always belt it in I suppose, gosh knows I have a ton of belts.

You're going to want trains in the late game but it's definitely possible to launch the rocket by just belting all the ore you'll need. Probably safer to use belts for if you've never done trains before, you don't want your base to run dry while you're figuring stuff out.

DreadCthulhu posted:

* Any major quality of life upgrades I should look for around the blue science tier? Laser turrets are great so that you don't have to bother with ammo. Anything else?

Set up assemblers to produce your infrastructure stuff if you haven't already. Assemblers, Inserters, Electric Smelters, Mining Drills, Upgraded Belts, etc. It will save you a lot of crafting time as the higher-tier science packs demand you scale up your bases production. Really nice to have all the stuff ready to go when you decide you need to triple your green circuit production (which will mean you need to double copper plate production, etc.).

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 20, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Nuclear power is complicated, confusing, expensive and has a high start up time, but you definitely don’t need kovarex to use it. It’s absolutely possible to use nuclear reactors on blue science.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i made a no-waste 2x2 reactor blueprint once when i first researched reactors and wanted to see how i'd go about it, and then never built the kovarex building ever because it's just not needed, IME. by the time you actually need to go through large amounts of uranium to power your megabase, you also have access to vast amounts of u235 just from all the deposits you discovered looking for other raw resources

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Nuclear really isn't that bad. The ratios are harder to figure out and setting up a good layout can be hard at first, but it's just another puzzle.

You do need piles of steel, concrete, etc. though. That was the real bottleneck for me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

DreadCthulhu posted:

* I just got to making blue science, and it looks like my original base iron and coal are starting to run out. What are my options as far as generating power goes, if I'm mostly relying on coal for now? I can do more solar power, to lighten the load during the day. The other option is to train in a ton of coal from elsewhere. There's also uranium, but I'm not sure I even have access to a unanium power generator at the blue science stage.

Belts are a perfectly normal way to accomplish everything on your first playthrough, but trains are cool and good. They're a major new system with their own complexities, but you don't have to understand everything you can do to get value out of them. Building a simple bidirectional train to bring in more of a resource is perfectly fine, even if it's something a veteran player with more mastery of the system is unlikely to do. It really comes down to if you're more interested beelining to launching a rocket and getting a victory under your belt, or in branching out and learning more aspects of the game.

Blue science and with it oil gives you a boatload of options, it's where the game really opens up. Construction and logistics robots are really game-changing. Construction robots will build stuff for you, logistics robots will bring you stuff so you don't have to pick it up yourself. Later tiers let them move stuff around between different types of chests. The rocket launcher and tank are major new features for combat. Modular armor is a whole other system that lets you have power generation and things like roboports, exoskeletons to move faster, or various combat enhancements on your person. Cliff explosives are a nice thing to have if you don't want to deal with building around the environment.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

nrook posted:

Nuclear power is complicated, confusing, expensive and has a high start up time, but you definitely don’t need kovarex to use it. It’s absolutely possible to use nuclear reactors on blue science.

Youre probably right, it's been a long time since I've done nuclear in a vanilla game

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The way the nuclear "ratios" shake out in vanilla is that you need 3.333 miners to saturate 1 centrifuge doing ore processing, and 1 centrifuge produces on average enough U235 to run around 1 reactor (1.166 to be more exact). Since U235 is random and you want to save some for enrichment down the line you will want more than 1 centrifuge/reactor, but you can absolutely run a starter 1-2 reactor nuclear power plant on a very modest ore patch and still be virtually guaranteed to run a surplus.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

little munchkin posted:

Solar is free in terms of resources and pollution but requires a shitload of panels to generate a significant amount of power, you always want plenty of backup power. Your best bet is to set up automated production for solar panels and then go out and build your next coal mining outpost. Then when you get back you'll have enough panels to do something meaningful with them. Make sure to automate production of accumulators as well.

It's also possible to just skip solar power entirely, but I'd recommend them as the lack of pollution will slow down biter aggression.

Nuclear power has a lot of setup costs and i wouldn't start building it until you have a short-term solution to your power problems. You need chests full of uranium and a row of centrifuges doing kovarex enrichment before you can start relying on nuclear for your power needs.

This is actually pretty overstated. You need 8 miners to produce the necessary uranium to keep a reactor running full time. A decent sized patch will give you enough extra miners to bank up the 40 necessary to kick off kovarex much much later. Early nuclear rules.

ScouSin
Jul 7, 2013
First playthrough, like 12 hours in.

Trains are fiddly, but there is no way I am getting that oil from all the way over there back to my home factory using pipes. Similarly, there's nothing else near that oil.

So I'm using trains. Once I spent some time playing around with them (and doing the game's built-in tutorial), I feel pretty confident in my abilities to make a barebones working design. So far the game has done a great job easing you in so you're always doing something new and interesting, but not overwhelming you. The game's praise has been quite warranted for me.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ScouSin posted:

First playthrough, like 12 hours in.

Trains are fiddly, but there is no way I am getting that oil from all the way over there back to my home factory using pipes. Similarly, there's nothing else near that oil.

So I'm using trains. Once I spent some time playing around with them (and doing the game's built-in tutorial), I feel pretty confident in my abilities to make a barebones working design. So far the game has done a great job easing you in so you're always doing something new and interesting, but not overwhelming you. The game's praise has been quite warranted for me.
Yeah, to the guy worried about trains above, you can make some really insane train setups if you know what you're doing, but if all you need is "get item from this one point to this other point," they're pretty easy. Make a long rail between the points, put a train station on each end, make two locomotives and some cargo/fluid wagons, then put the trains on the rail (one locomotive facing each way) and click on it to set up a train schedule. You don't even need a single signal, which is usually where things get more complicated.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I am nearing 5 digits of hours in this game and will still sometimes just throw down a single bullshit track to connect up some extra coal in the midgame. Proper fully signaled rail networks can wait until I have clouds of bots to follow me around.

Make it work now, make it work well after it's working.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Then you start messing around with LTN and suddenly things get even more complex but more satisfying

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DreadCthulhu posted:

Either train in coal, or build a new power plant over to where the next coal patch is if there's water nearby.

Alternatively and what I usually do is just feed the power plant solid fuel instead.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I always forget that solid fuel is an option. It doesn't really seem worth the investment, probably because my oil refining always ends up on the opposite side of the factory from my power plant.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Solumin posted:

I always forget that solid fuel is an option. It doesn't really seem worth the investment, probably because my oil refining always ends up on the opposite side of the factory from my power plant.

sounds like a problem to be solved with trains

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Solumin posted:

I usually set up a spot near oil and water to create just solid fuel for steam power. Relatively cheap to get a full red belt of solid fuel which can get you enough steam power to go pretty far (360MW I think).

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Multiple rail shipping areas around the factory as it grows, with a corresponding siding for your own personal train; one of the smuggest ways to pillage the natural riches of Nauvis.

I also have separate service sidings for every outpost, so I can autopilot there while taking a dab ~

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

LonsomeSon posted:

Multiple rail shipping areas around the factory as it grows, with a corresponding siding for your own personal train; one of the smuggest ways to pillage the natural riches of Nauvis.

I also have separate service sidings for every outpost, so I can autopilot there while taking a dab ~

What color are your taxi trains? :)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

XkyRauh posted:

Oddly I also wondered this. No I'm not autistic you're autistic.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

XkyRauh posted:

I set up a 2x4 FARL; color has changed over the years, and since .17 came out at least I’ve been using as close to high-vis yellow as the game will render, which still looks a little dirty on the engine sprite.

First car FARL pickup trash, second car full of rails, third for signaling, poles, landfill, and a stack of landscaping explosives, fourth car misc outposting supplies and ammo. They get automated emptying/resupply in that order of priority, with manually-set slot filters on the last two.

Factorio experience for me is largely a long list of things which I have previously hosed up, and the list of automatically-deployed cutouts and failsafes I’ve assembled to avoid (e) loving them, again, up ~

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 21, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DreadCthulhu posted:

Solar in my professional opinion is a useless resource sink. The cost of panels and the effort needed to clear land and lay fields of them for such a small amount of power means your time is better used shipping in coal until you eventually switch to nuclear. Nuclear is absurdly cheap for the amount of power it puts out, just takes a large down payment for all the hardware. And once you have nuclear you can use power switches and logic to setup your old coal plant as a standby power generator. Steam engines are also a great place to throw excess wood and solid fuel.

While solar doesn't pollute you still often have to deal with biter bases to open enough real estate to place a useful quantity.

Setting up giant train networks is a lot of fun in my opinion but mid game a single double ended train on a single isolated track moves plenty of resources even up to your first rocket. Mostly you should be shipping plates/chips/coal rather than raw ores, but highly dependent on the layout. As a rough guideline each cargo wagon is equivalent to a red belt in throughput, just they do it in bursts rather than slowly and continuously. They make long distance shipping exponentially more efficient than belts.

Laser Turrets are great because they don't require ammo BUT gun turrets remain king of DPS in trade.

The next Quality of life is in the construction robots and then into the logistic robots at which point you can have your character remain stationary in the middle of your base and continue expanding your factory entirely via the map screen.

little munchkin posted:

As already pointed out, 1 centrifuge (no modules) running continuously statistically produces enough 235 to make enough fuel cells to run 1 reactor continuously. kovarex is for mass producing nuclear weaponry for fun and profit.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I was an inch away from finishing the automation tutorial and then my base got ran over by biters cause I forgot to wall up, is it worth finish it to do the train tutorial or can I brute force through even that and just try freeplay

Seems like I can get away with basic resource hauling with trains,off to destroying a planet

Professorjuggalo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 21, 2020

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Professorjuggalo posted:

I was an inch away from finishing the automation tutorial and then my base got ran over by biters cause I forgot to wall up, is it worth finish it to do the train tutorial or can I brute force through even that and just try freeplay

Seems like I can get away with basic resource hauling with trains,off to destroying a planet

just freeplay, go nuts

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Really glad the tutorial taught me to rush turrets otherwise I woulda lost almost had to restart, feel like after 5ish hours I’m at a good point to just scale the hell up

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Great tips you all, thank you so much.

Regarding research that I should "rush" past blue science, what do you recommend? I remember reading that unlocking the personal fusion reactor is amazing because it allows you to get exosuits and lasers and all sorts of other stuff that you just can't support on a battery and personal solar panels alone. Seems like construction drones are a similar game-changer too. Anything else quite like it?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Probably artillery, and nuclear power.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The military stuff, if you're finding it hard to hold off the biters. It's usually not too necessary though.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I'll echo the fusion reactor, if you're using personal roboports it is a massive upgrade for them. And if you want to go bot heavy in general get the later logistics science with the last three chests asap.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

'I'll play it again when it hits 1.0'

4 years later

Hi guys, how's Factorio?!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

victrix posted:

'I'll play it again when it hits 1.0'

4 years later

Hi guys, how's Factorio?!
It's great, it's gotten a *lot* of polish, quality of life improvement and content over the past four years. And if that's not enough, there's a massive thriving mod community to make the game exactly as long, easy, hard or stupid as you want.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I too am just getting back into this. November 2016 for me. I spent a few minutes angrily trying to connect a building to a power pole with copper wire before I realized that this isn’t Satisfactory and I’m going to have to learn this from scratch.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Going from satisfactory to factorio seems weird. Backwards.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

ikanreed posted:

Going from satisfactory to factorio seems weird. Backwards.

I felt the opposite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Power poles are a great example of the difference between them. Factorio has power poles because they create an additional bit of complexity in design. Satisfactory has power poles because Factorio has them. They do absolutely nothing other than make you waste a bunch of time, because you can put power anywhere and clip through things. It's a huge design philosophy difference. Factorio is a game, Satisfactory is a tedium simulator.