Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Oh ok makes sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

I saw this on Reddit (while searching for Blank Pudding Keycaps) and I actually like this a fuckload

Any idea who makes these?

https://www.maxkeyboard.com/custom-white-translucent-top-backlight-keycap-set-blank.html

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Just put these EnjoyPBT black on white caps on my NK65 and I am unreasonably pleased with how much fun it is to use.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Constellation I posted:

As dumb as that design and LCD placement is (and it's REALLY dumb), the video is kind of winning me over.

3ildcat can make a video about basically anything and make it look stunning.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

feedback loop posted:

Just put these EnjoyPBT black on white caps on my NK65 and I am unreasonably pleased with how much fun it is to use.

That looks suspiciously like GMK minimal
https://dixiemech.com/gmk-minimal-2

So against my better judgement I'm letting you all know that The Key Company is doing another limited round of Kiwi switches in a week.
2 time slots.

https://thekey.company/blogs/blog-updates/welcome-to-kiwi-kuesday

I know I said I would never modify my Code but if I can get a full set of these I will totally do it.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean it's black-on-white, how different can you get :v:

Note the icon mods and font weight though. Minimal strictly uses text mods and the font on those mods + the numrow is smaller and thinner. Also there's the whole question of doubleshot ABS vs. dye-sub PBT and I am really loving the latter so far. The spacebar sound in particular is just dreamy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Sorry I forgot this isn't geekhack where every initial response to an IC is "Isn't this just 'x' set with slightly different colors/mods/profile?"
It was joke.

PBT loving rules though.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So against my better judgement I'm letting you all know that The Key Company is doing another limited round of Kiwi switches in a week.
2 time slots.

I know I said I would never modify my Code but if I can get a full set of these I will totally do it.

These look cool for a tactile option. I wanted to try some new linears, so I just got done ordering a bunch of Gat black inks and tx films as well. I canceled my order for Drop+Invyr Holy Pandas because they're having a lot of issues and people are not happy with Drop right now. I didn't want to risk it considering how expensive the switches are.

Drop claims that HPs come unlubed and have POM housings, but people have been receiving them lubed and non-POM housings that are just colored to look like POM and that the stems are not authentic Kailh Halo stems and just clones. People also claim that that the lube is there to simulate the POM material and that a lot of comments about these issues are being deleted from the Drop discussion threads. Drop's official statement so far is that they have no control over the lube because they already told the manufacturer to make sure they aren't lubing the switches but the manufacturer is supposedly not listening to them. And that they are currently investigating the reports of the fake POM housings.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

2 time slots.

What's usually the price on these sets?

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sorry I forgot this isn't geekhack where every initial response to an IC is "Isn't this just 'x' set with slightly different colors/mods/profile?"
It was joke.

PBT loving rules though.

Oops!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Boz0r posted:

What's usually the price on these sets?

I'm not sure, but probably somewhere around $.75/switch judging by Tangerine Rev2's
OG Tangies were $6.50 for a 10 pack. Kiwis will be sold in 70/90/110 packs.

in retrospect it wasn't a funny joke anyway.

Here's a ridiculous thing that I will MOST DEFINITELY be ordering:
https://thekey.company/collections/upcoming-releases/products/the-skillet

My friend and I have joked about cast iron cases (e.g. I need a keeb for the kitchen) for so long that I kind of have to...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 19, 2020

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I found the NumPad I want

https://www.lofree.co/products/digit-number-pad?contact_posted=true#contact_form

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I did a Ajazz 870T x Akko 9009 PBT cap set:

Really digging all this.

PBT caps, excellent fonts. Lubed stabs. Steel Plate, dampening foams. BT, RGB that doesn't pulse. Ajazz custom brown keys that actually rule.

Ajazz was $55 and Akko set was $50. Not bad!!

I had the Akko cap set on a Coolermaster.. but nah. Looks like poo poo:

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 20, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Looking for recommendations for a wireless keyboard for my studio. Desktop space is at a premium; my full keyboard often ends up in my lap and this one probably will as well.

Key features: small footprint, rugged, lightweight
Nice to haves: backlit, Bluetooth, trackpad
Please god no: chiclet keys

I like this Logitech except it has a numpad.
A Google search yielded a company called Stealth but their products are really expensive and overkill for my application. So I'm looking for a brand in between Logitech and Stealth.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Looking for recommendations for a wireless keyboard for my studio. Desktop space is at a premium; my full keyboard often ends up in my lap and this one probably will as well.

Key features: small footprint, rugged, lightweight
Nice to haves: backlit, Bluetooth, trackpad
Please god no: chiclet keys

I like this Logitech except it has a numpad.
A Google search yielded a company called Stealth but their products are really expensive and overkill for my application. So I'm looking for a brand in between Logitech and Stealth.

If you can get past the extremely high profile, it sounds like you want a Keychron.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
hey, keychron actually has a low-profile compact guy on the way https://www.keychron.com/pages/keychron-k3-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

happy with my k6 other than the horrendous home/end/insert/del/page up/page down situation:

why the gently caress didn't they just give delete, pg up, pg down their own keys, and map insert, home, and end to the respective fn layers for those. i have anxiety about getting new keycaps for this thing because i will definitely never remember that fn+[ is delete without it being explicitly labeled, christ

between that and my earlier-described tilde woes i'm thinking about getting a k2, tbh... though i need to convince someone to buy my k6 first. this would also let me upgrade from the kinda-bad gateron browns to blues, which my roommate will just have to Deal With

(also, keychron are definitely the only game in town for a mechanical keyboard that pairs to 3 bluetooth devices and lets you swap at-will, right? that's a loving incredible feature for a $70/$80 keyboard and i fuckin love it, makes my ipad infinitely more usable on my desk than it would be with just the touch screen)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 20, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

hey, keychron actually has a low-profile compact guy on the way https://www.keychron.com/pages/keychron-k3-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

Oooo. That does look sexy. What can I do for switches that are noise dampened?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Forgive the fairly basic question, but how/where do I order key caps? My Tab90M has functions that can be used via FN+F# and I’d like to add little indicators to the F keys for stuff like volume. Is there a way to just order the 5 or so keys I care about?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
That's kind of a tough one. Keycaps are generally sold in sets, although it is possible to order some individual custom printed keycaps in cherry profile from Maxkeyboard.com I don't think that's exactly what you're going for.

WSAD sells something that might work for you?
https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/products/keycaps/keycap-mod-packs.html

Another thing to be mindful of is that the different rows of a keyboard have keycaps with different sizes aka "profiles"
So you want to make sure whatever keycaps you get, are of the same profile that you are currently using (I think Vortex uses Cherry/OEM?) and that the keys you are looking for belong on that top row where the F keys are. Otherwise they will be too tall or short or angled depending on which keys and what type of profile they are.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Looks cool, correct legends, affordable. Pick 2.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's kind of a tough one. Keycaps are generally sold in sets, although it is possible to order some individual custom printed keycaps in cherry profile from Maxkeyboard.com I don't think that's exactly what you're going for.

WSAD sells something that might work for you?
https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/products/keycaps/keycap-mod-packs.html

Another thing to be mindful of is that the different rows of a keyboard have keycaps with different sizes aka "profiles"
So you want to make sure whatever keycaps you get, are of the same profile that you are currently using (I think Vortex uses Cherry/OEM?) and that the keys you are looking for belong on that top row where the F keys are. Otherwise they will be too tall or short or angled depending on which keys and what type of profile they are.

Thank you for the info. I’ll have to do some investigation and see what the most viable path is. That’ll probably be printing out a cheat sheet for the binds it sounds like.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Obviously not ideal, but I wonder if it would be viable to custom print stickers with whatever you want to put on the front of the keycaps (so you can see them but aren't touching them). But it might look too tacky for your nice custom keyboard.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s actually not a bad idea. If I could find a way to get some small enough ones made that are “png-esk” they could blend in pretty well. No idea how realistic that is though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Stickers on the top of the keycaps are pretty terrible. Get something small that can go on the front of the keycap instead if you go that route.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Warbird posted:

Forgive the fairly basic question, but how/where do I order key caps? My Tab90M has functions that can be used via FN+F# and I’d like to add little indicators to the F keys for stuff like volume. Is there a way to just order the 5 or so keys I care about?

Assuming the Tab90M is using Cherry MX profile, MaxKeyboards does offer custom individual keycaps. It's just really expensive, starting at $7 per cap.

https://www.maxkeyboard.com/custom-art-icon-or-text-cherry-mx-keycaps.html

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

help, my switch sampler pack came and I can't stop playing with the box navy

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Stroop There It Is posted:

yeah i got one of the 72 switch tester things from Drop and the box navy and box jade switches were big standouts for me

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

One of us.

One of us.

(Navies are my favorite switch.)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Not gonna lie, I’m tempted to put together a Box Navy or Jade WFH board.

Did they ever fix the Box Jade issue of sometimes sticking?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I think the fix is to buy navy.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

.Z. posted:

Assuming the Tab90M is using Cherry MX profile, MaxKeyboards does offer custom individual keycaps. It's just really expensive, starting at $7 per cap.

https://www.maxkeyboard.com/custom-art-icon-or-text-cherry-mx-keycaps.html

Tab90M uses a proprietary profile, VSA.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I just got my GMMK and put box navies in it. The sound is nice, but the weight is going to take some getting used to.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Exit Strategy posted:

One of us.

One of us.

What kind of board is that?

reL
May 20, 2007

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Oooo. That does look sexy. What can I do for switches that are noise dampened?

I've been waiting for my keychron k8 to come in, which I plan on using mostly in my living room, so I wanted something a little less clacky than the other boards I have.

I bought gateron silent blacks and I did a little test-drive with them on my main keyboard while I wait to receive the k8. They are nice. Both quieter than I expected, and felt wayyy better than I'd imagined they would, so I'm pretty happy with them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Uznare posted:

Tab90M uses a proprietary profile, VSA.

A cursory google makes that seem like it’s a good thing? Key sizes or whatever are standardized or the like.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

One of us.

One of us.

that keycap set... :swoon:

also I was watching a reality show and noticed a custom ortholinear keyboard in the background (I think it was a Planck), what is happening to me

e: lol I wasn't the only one to notice it https://www.reddit.com/r/olkb/comments/icyush/planck_sighting_indian_matchmaking_ep7/

Boz0r posted:

I just got my GMMK and put box navies in it. The sound is nice, but the weight is going to take some getting used to.
yeah I can imagine that would get tiring on your fingers after a while, any reason you didn't go with Jades instead?

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 21, 2020

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

yeah I can imagine that would get tiring on your fingers after a while, any reason you didn't go with Jades instead?
No reason. A friend recommended them because he just got them, and this is my first mech that's not just mx browns. I probably should've gotten jades instead.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
In my experience, they are very fun and satisfying to shitpost with. But it was fatiguing to game on for long periods that I had to change crouch and sprint to toggle in some games (mostly shooters).

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I bought a set of jades and ran them for about a week. Not my cup of tea. The sound of an individual key is satisfying but not the feel. It’s like down —> full stop —> click —> down more —> bottom out, then up —> click —> up

If you type fast the up click from the last and the down click from the current overlap and it’s just so noisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've ordered a 81 switch tester on Ali express, so in a couple of months I'll know what to replace them with. Do some people put stiffer keys on modifier keys?