Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So just use the same screen of the ipad pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It’s a real good screen IMO.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I even like the bezels on the 11 inch. It's nice to not have to leave a finger print on the screen every time I open/adjust the display.

Simpler times.

And I've been watching my ram while on Big Sur and with less than 8 tabs open in Safari, iTerm open, Mail open, and desktop apps of my frequent chat clients goin', I haven't seem used ram go over 7gb. So it's just adequate.

Not sure what's gonna happen when I attempt a VM. But that's gonna be for emergencies where eventually being able to do something is better than not being able to do it at all.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my gf has a macbook air from 2013 with 4gb of RAM and needs a macbook air with at least 8gb of RAM. where is the cheapest way to get one? she doesn't need a lot of CPU power, but she would like to have more than 4 browser tabs open at once. does apple or anyone else do warrantied refurbs?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mu Zeta posted:

MarcusSA posted:

It’s a real good screen IMO.

extremely down

Ziploc posted:

I even like the bezels on the 11 inch. It's nice to not have to leave a finger print on the screen every time I open/adjust the display.

Simpler times.

And I've been watching my ram while on Big Sur and with less than 8 tabs open in Safari, iTerm open, Mail open, and desktop apps of my frequent chat clients goin', I haven't seem used ram go over 7gb. So it's just adequate.

Not sure what's gonna happen when I attempt a VM. But that's gonna be for emergencies where eventually being able to do something is better than not being able to do it at all.

wonder how much of that is actually being used though? i know there’s bloat but that seems pretty high for not doing much.

TenementFunster posted:

my gf has a macbook air from 2013 with 4gb of RAM and needs a macbook air with at least 8gb of RAM. where is the cheapest way to get one? she doesn't need a lot of CPU power, but she would like to have more than 4 browser tabs open at once. does apple or anyone else do warrantied refurbs?

yes! and they’re indistinguishable from new. https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was thinking more about how they’ve been treating it on iOS with the fear that those sorts of restrictions might make their way to MacOS more easily with Apple Silicon.

Also Parsec requires you to have a gaming PC around.

Eh, Steam Link and the Playstation app work fantastic for me on iOS. I think there may be more at play here and reducing it to "bleagh! they won't allow my streams!" seems a bit simplistic to me. Case in point is the Epic mess going on right now.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 20, 2020

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

mediaphage posted:

wonder how much of that is actually being used though? i know there’s bloat but that seems pretty high for not doing much.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

welcome to the chromium javascript future.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just cranked up Big Sur Beta 5, and it feels..

Snappier!

Also amazed that it's letting me play 8K videos off of YouTube.. on another laptop I've got Mojave and it won't budge past 4K/2K..

Also, Tampermonkey and Facebook Purity seem to work just fine despite not being approved for Big Sur..

Looks like Apple is finally allowing Intel improvements in their iGPU drivers to be implemented in macOS.. only have iGPU laptops at the moment.

But of course you have to update your entire OS to get these improvements, no back-updating of Mojave or Catalina with these drivers.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 20, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

lol the discord app would be perpetually non responsive when I had the client installed too. Wasn't sure if that was just me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

lol the discord app would be perpetually non responsive when I had the client installed too. Wasn't sure if that was just me.

:hai:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
There's a discord support article that says that's 'normal' behaviour.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ziploc posted:

There's a discord support article that says that's 'normal' behaviour.

They're technically not wrong, which is the best kind of not wrong.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
oh yeah let me click in on this one

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Coffee Jones posted:

waiting for him to start filming them from inside a parked car

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Coffee Jones posted:

Why is he vlogging from my Dad's La-Z-Boy in 1994?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mediaphage posted:

yes! and they’re indistinguishable from new. https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished
does anyone sell slightly older ones? I'd rather not spend $850 when she doesn't need the extra CPU power. i just need whatever the first version of the Air had 8gb

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
We just got a new macbook pro for my wife for work, and I'm wondering what dongles to get. I was looking at this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079GSMZ7G/) USB-C dock for external monitor, USB peripherals, and ethernet. I was wondering if I should get a standalone ethernet to thunderbolt dongle as well (she'll be doing lots of zoom calls which would be nice to be relatively uninterrupted), and if there are any good ones cheaper than the $30 one from apple.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I use this one from Cable Matters, it's plug-and-play with no drivers needed and nearly half the price of the Apple / Belkin one.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ethernet-Adapter-Gigabit/dp/B00X4S5AQO/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Neurostorm posted:

We just got a new macbook pro for my wife for work, and I'm wondering what dongles to get. I was looking at this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079GSMZ7G/) USB-C dock for external monitor, USB peripherals, and ethernet. I was wondering if I should get a standalone ethernet to thunderbolt dongle as well (she'll be doing lots of zoom calls which would be nice to be relatively uninterrupted), and if there are any good ones cheaper than the $30 one from apple.

That hub’s Ethernet will be totally fine, no reason to have a second one unless you want it somewhere else or I missed some other reason.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Awesome, thanks!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'm currently using a Macbook Air 11" Mid 2011 (i5, 4GB RAM) for online school stuff. I've been able to get by with extensive ad and javascript blocking, but with High Sierra support likely winding down soon, a Service Battery notification, and some hardware issues (sound and graphics), I'm considering picking up a replacement sometime this year, likely another MBA.

What information is out there regarding the new ARM macbooks (release date, specs)? The apple side of the internet isn't as familiar to me so I'm having difficulty sorting out legitimate information from rumor-mill speculation.

Has there been any information for long-term software support w/r/t x86 systems now that ARM is coming to macbooks? I wouldn't want to pick up a new intel-based laptop if in 3 years the OS becomes EoL without any upgrade path.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
There isn't any truly legitimate information other than: Apple announced plans to release the first ARM Macs by the end of the year.

Informed speculation says that 13" and under MacBooks (Pro) are a pretty logical choice for one of the first wave products, since they could easily just use the same chip as an iPad Pro. The rumor mill generally agrees with that. In your position, assuming you want a fairly direct replacement for the 2011 Air, I'd feel good waiting till the end of the year to see what they release.

As for x86 EOL, there's no solid info on that. Apple announced vague "years to come" plans. Hopefully 5, imo. Might be as little as 3 if things go as well as the PowerPC-to-Intel transition did back in the day.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

According to the rumor mill, Apple will release ARM-based MacBook Pros first sometime 4th quarter 2020, or 1st quarter 2021. To be followed by iMacs and likely Mac Minis after (the Apple ARM developer kit is a Mac Mini with an A12 shoehorned into it.)

The rest will be released over a period of 12-18 months (gonna be interesting to see what they put in a Mac Pro.) There really isn't much else, as Apple has only gone as far as offering the development kit to developers.

The closest anyone officially has said regarding the future of Intel on Macs was a few words from Tim Cook himself during the WWDC keynote that they still had Intel based products in the pipeline.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Thanks. I'll keep chugging along with what I've got and wait for more information then.

Hopefully my next apple laptop lasts as long as this one!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TenementFunster posted:

does anyone sell slightly older ones? I'd rather not spend $850 when she doesn't need the extra CPU power. i just need whatever the first version of the Air had 8gb

not refurbished with apple warranty or support, no. your best bet is likely trawling ebay and craigslist/kijiji/etc.

edit: does Amazon Renewed operate where you are? i know nothing about the program or if it's worthwhile, but it's one avenue to consider.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 27, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is it possible to get a trade-in kit while buying a refurb product? I'm eying up an iPad mini 5 to replace my 4, which isn't really dying but is just kind of not satisfactorily snappy anymore, and I don't really need to replace it, and I definitely don't £400 worth of want it, and they quoted me £125 for the mini 4, and £340 as the cost of a refurb mini 5, so if I could combine those...?

I don't see the option to add a trade-in kit when looking at the refurb store pages, so I don't know if this is supposed to be possible or what. I only see the prompt when buying new.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fedule posted:

Is it possible to get a trade-in kit while buying a refurb product? I'm eying up an iPad mini 5 to replace my 4, which isn't really dying but is just kind of not satisfactorily snappy anymore, and I don't really need to replace it, and I definitely don't £400 worth of want it, and they quoted me £125 for the mini 4, and £340 as the cost of a refurb mini 5, so if I could combine those...?

I don't see the option to add a trade-in kit when looking at the refurb store pages, so I don't know if this is supposed to be possible or what. I only see the prompt when buying new.

You’ll need to do the trade in as its own separate transaction, receive an Apple gift card/balance, and then you can apply that balance to anything they sell like it was any other kind of store credit.

A couple of years ago, I traded in an old iPhone, got $150 for it, and used the balance to buy some Watch straps.

Stides
Aug 22, 2002
Mysted-out Kamikaze Midget
I miss my old powerbooks so much, but I can't justify repurchasing them at Ebay prices. I especially miss my PB 520. Anyone relate?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
How much memory should one add to a 2020 iMac for occasional Photoshop work and general internet use, Netflix, etc. Comes with 8 gigs.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
https://9to5mac.com/2020/08/27/apple-rejects-watch-for-tesla-app-as-it-starts-requiring-written-consent-for-third-party-api-use/

This seems like such a bad decision from Apple. Where is the line between hardware and service here? Are developers allowed to reverse engineer bluetooth devices (using Apple's own Bluetooth PacketLogger!) and create new 3rd party apps for them?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Toebone posted:

How much memory should one add to a 2020 iMac for occasional Photoshop work and general internet use, Netflix, etc. Comes with 8 gigs.

I'd add another 8.

Not through apple though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SaTaMaS posted:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/08/27/apple-rejects-watch-for-tesla-app-as-it-starts-requiring-written-consent-for-third-party-api-use/

This seems like such a bad decision from Apple. Where is the line between hardware and service here? Are developers allowed to reverse engineer bluetooth devices (using Apple's own Bluetooth PacketLogger!) and create new 3rd party apps for them?

Makes sense to me. I have no idea what your question about Bluetooth devices has to do with using unofficial APIs, but having apps on the App Store that rely on undocumented APIs by companies like Tesla seems like a good way to pollute the App Store with even more junk when those APIs change or go away.

If Tesla wants to support an API properly, then they should provide it and this wouldn’t be an issue.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Matt Zerella posted:

I'd add another 8.

Not through apple though.

I had to pause (pre-coffee this morning) when reading this because my initial thought was "Oh yeah, I remember how photoshop got snappnier when I went from 8 to 16."
But that was when I went from 8 to 16 MB of ram. My brain kind of fell apart when I wrapped my head around the fact that it is commonplace for a system to have 2,000 - 4,000 x the ram that we used back in the late 90s. A boss powerbook was like $3500 which adjusted for inflation would be $5650 today. We live in the golden age of technology, my goons.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

all the stuff we do with computers now is worse though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

otter posted:

I had to pause (pre-coffee this morning) when reading this because my initial thought was "Oh yeah, I remember how photoshop got snappnier when I went from 8 to 16."
But that was when I went from 8 to 16 MB of ram. My brain kind of fell apart when I wrapped my head around the fact that it is commonplace for a system to have 2,000 - 4,000 x the ram that we used back in the late 90s. A boss powerbook was like $3500 which adjusted for inflation would be $5650 today. We live in the golden age of technology, my goons.

I just like when people ask “can I run the photoshops on MacBook Air”

Dude we ran photoshop on Mac II/Quadra/6100/G3/G4/C2D

And we only had 4MB/16MB/128MB/512MB/1GB/2GB

Do people even remember waiting 60 seconds for a blur filter to apply

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Bob Morales posted:

I just like when people ask “can I run the photoshops on MacBook Air”

Dude we ran photoshop on Mac II/Quadra/6100/G3/G4/C2D

And we only had 4MB/16MB/128MB/512MB/1GB/2GB

Do people even remember waiting 60 seconds for a blur filter to apply

And we only had one level of Undo!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Slowly filling in the gray-and-white checkerboard one 12x12 block at a time

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Guys I need Airplay / iPad help.

I am using my iPad to Airplay screen mirror to our big conference room.

It works extremely well. I use powerpoint for slides.

I have problems with youtube videos though.

Whenever I move from ppt (ios) to Youtube, it gives me a black spinning icon never works.

If I copy and paste the URL into Safari youtube plays fine.

If I play FULLSCREEN in Safari it breaks.............

Any past experience with this stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Makes sense to me. I have no idea what your question about Bluetooth devices has to do with using unofficial APIs, but having apps on the App Store that rely on undocumented APIs by companies like Tesla seems like a good way to pollute the App Store with even more junk when those APIs change or go away.

If Tesla wants to support an API properly, then they should provide it and this wouldn’t be an issue.

Technically speaking, at least for wireless devices like a Tesla, there's no difference between using standard Bluetooth GATT Services and using "unofficial APIs".