Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mauser posted:

How much do those trailers weigh? Gonna get one eventually once I got a kid

This one ways just shy of 30lbs. I’ve found that the range of weights is generally around 20-30lbs depending on the type of trailer.

I’m excited to take it out. Will provably just take the baby for a walk in it with a helmet on to get her used to it at first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Mauser posted:

How much do those trailers weigh? Gonna get one eventually once I got a kid

About 30 lbs IIRC. We have a Thule Chariot and it's been pretty good.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Do any of you use a large saddlebag like Carradice? Thinking of switching away from panniers and I like the look of them. I like the idea of having the bag up behind me rather than a single pannier on one side, seems a bit more balanced (and a bit more aerodynamic?)

Seems like it should be fine for most commuting, but a bit worried about the few times i have to carry my laptop (weight and size wise)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

leftist heap posted:

This one ways just shy of 30lbs. I’ve found that the range of weights is generally around 20-30lbs depending on the type of trailer.

I’m excited to take it out. Will provably just take the baby for a walk in it with a helmet on to get her used to it at first though.

Let us know how it goes! Also, what age can you start taking babies in these things? Working on the baby part now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32811840685.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32995956761.html

Bike LED flashlight strap mount torch fixed clip bicycle helmet gun lock block holder universal

Thanks! Just noticed that these and the twofish one have these like, plastic tube mounty things that will leave it rattling around on my rack like mad. Back to the drawing board I guess. :(

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Are you talking about the strap buckle? The block itself is made of rubber so as long as it's tightened down on something there shouldn't be any rattling.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

Are you talking about the strap buckle? The block itself is made of rubber so as long as it's tightened down on something there shouldn't be any rattling.

Yeah I was thinking about the block. Thanks, I'll order some!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

So I just noticed that my bell only fits on my wife's hybrid and my rockhopper handlebars. I tried to put it on my new road bike but the handlebars are too big for the bracket. Where the hell can I attach this thing?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Mauser posted:

So I just noticed that my bell only fits on my wife's hybrid and my rockhopper handlebars. I tried to put it on my new road bike but the handlebars are too big for the bracket. Where the hell can I attach this thing?

Possibly at the very tip of the drop bar? Probably nowhere, sadly. Road bike handlebar profiles are rarely cylindrical unless very old and usually much fatter than straight bars, so standard stuff can rarely attach. O-rings or hose clamp style mechanisms is what you need for a road bike bell.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mauser posted:

Let us know how it goes! Also, what age can you start taking babies in these things? Working on the baby part now.

I think most people say around 10-12 months, and I guess some places have laws surrounding it. Some people take younger babies but it usually requires some sort of additional baby seat.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mauser posted:

Maybe on the top tube on the frame?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

leftist heap posted:

I think most people say around 10-12 months, and I guess some places have laws surrounding it. Some people take younger babies but it usually requires some sort of additional baby seat.

If you don't feel comfortable putting a small baby in a trailer where you don't have visibility, look into front mounted seats. My daughter LOVED it, because she got to see everything, pretend she's driving and play with the bell. They can start going into the baby seats once they have good head control and their necks are strong enough to support them.

You need to keep the rides short and time it around nap time if they're in a baby seat though, because it's not safe for them to sleep in a baby seat.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
They don't make those compatible with the latch system that car seat carriers use? 8 years ago, but I had a 3 wheel jogging stroller/carrier combo that was great for my kiddo and always assumed someone would eventually sell a combo with a bike trailer as well.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Unless it’s come out in the last 2 years, I don’t think so no. I guess you could rig a car seat base into a trailer and go from there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Leng posted:

If you don't feel comfortable putting a small baby in a trailer where you don't have visibility, look into front mounted seats. My daughter LOVED it, because she got to see everything, pretend she's driving and play with the bell. They can start going into the baby seats once they have good head control and their necks are strong enough to support them.

You need to keep the rides short and time it around nap time if they're in a baby seat though, because it's not safe for them to sleep in a baby seat.

I see guys out on mountain bike trails with the iBert all the time. The kids look like they are having a blast.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I'm looking at getting a Bergamont Grandurance RD 5 for my new 12,5 km commute starting September 1st. I'm a big guy - 195 cm / 6'4" 118 kg / 260 lbs and I'm trying to figure out what kind of pedals to get. I've mostly settled on dual function SPD pedals, but it's not clear to me whether I can get pedals that are also decent for my enormous feet. It's fairly difficult to find out how big the pedals are online. Any suggestions? I'm a French 47, UK size 12.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I'm US 15/EU 52 and I have the Shimano PD A530 which are ok.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/tiagra-4700/PD-A530.html

I recently found out about the PD EH500 which has little screws like MTB flats for which might offer more grip in the wet with regular shoes.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/shimano/PD-EH500.html

Either way, I think you'll be fine. If you have super wide feet you can get spindle adapters to place the pedals further away from the crank.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

PolishPandaBear posted:

I recently found out about the PD EH500 which has little screws like MTB flats for which might offer more grip in the wet with regular shoes.

I had been looking at these. I ended up ordering them. Probably going to get the bike next week.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have those pedals. They’re good. They’re sort of blue gray in person.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

help I live in hell and it's consistently >90°F, what can I do to keep my commutes and recreational rides from killing me

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

slicing up eyeballs posted:

help I live in hell and it's consistently >90°F, what can I do to keep my commutes and recreational rides from killing me

Hydrate

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I sweat a ton and have no problems riding for extended periods in hot 90-100° weather as long as I'm hydrated. I think I drink about 1 liter of water per hour on days like that and usually bring about 4 liters just to be super safe if I'm going to be riding for around 3 hours. I got two liter bottles for the cages on my bike and then a 2 liter platypus bag in my backpack for refills. This might be a bit excessive because I never run out, but towards the end of a long ride I'm usually just chugging half a bottle at a time in that heat. Where I'm at is consistently very humid though, so 90 will frequently have a "feels like 100" on the weather report.

But also be super careful if you start getting dizzy or anything related to heat stroke because my mother actually just had that happen to her recently and had to get in the car with AC full blast and chug a ton of water. If it's bad enough you can drop dead.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Do any of you use a large saddlebag like Carradice? Thinking of switching away from panniers and I like the look of them. I like the idea of having the bag up behind me rather than a single pannier on one side, seems a bit more balanced (and a bit more aerodynamic?)

Seems like it should be fine for most commuting, but a bit worried about the few times i have to carry my laptop (weight and size wise)

I have and love one but it's not a pannier substitute. It'll do for a lot of smaller rides though. A bag-support might be a good idea for your use case.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Morning rides. A vacuum flask with icy water helps too.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

was afraid of that. ty, more water it is!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah good luck. It doesn't feel like a real ride for me anymore unless I can brush the salt off of my face afterwards

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In Texas there's a ride scheduled in the hot flat plains in the middle of August, it's called the Hotter'n'Hell 100 and it regularly sees temps above 95 by 10am

They start shortly after dawn and there are hydration stations every ten miles. Use that as a loose guide. I like drinking a liter of water every 15 miles or so. You can't really drink too much water while riding

Somewhere between 13 and 19mph is it sweet spot for producing your own wind and cooling yourself off. That nerdy spandex poo poo does help with evaporation to keep you cooler, as much as it pains me to say it. There's some goon designed spandex in another thread called bear poor, worth looking into

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 22, 2020

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just tried commuting 10km for a night shift that starts at 9pm and ends at 7pm

Pros: going in got a new PB of 20:05 on the route owing to almost empty city streets, showed up to work with adrenaline rush ready to things started.
Cons: going home it felt like i was riding wasted :v: just no juice left in my legs and no will to get the power up at all

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Biked to drop off my mail in ballot and go to the farmers market. Front baskets are great :toot:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Landed a high-level game industry gig in LA. Spending 3 or 4 days a week there. Office at the edge of Malibu.

Nice bike commute:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Your bike is all bent up, mate

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Landed a high-level game industry gig in LA. Spending 3 or 4 days a week there. Office at the edge of Malibu.

Nice bike commute:

Absolutely beautiful view and cool bike as always.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Guinness posted:

Your bike is all bent up, mate

That bike isn't bent up.

This one is:

recumBENT.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

The old man vibes are so strong it's hard to.type on.this.phoneeee

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Old man.

Look at his bike.

It's all bent and bad rear end.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

OK, tell me how to make this work in the rain. It rained non-stop for a month when I first tried to start bike commuting in February. It was dry all summer while I was quarantined. Now I'm back at work and it's raining every day again.

Fenders, rain jacket, what else? Hat?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I have one jacket whose hood was thin enough for me to wear under the helmet.
If I know it's gonna be raining a lot, I can switch to a helmet with no vents.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OK, tell me how to make this work in the rain. It rained non-stop for a month when I first tried to start bike commuting in February. It was dry all summer while I was quarantined. Now I'm back at work and it's raining every day again.

Fenders, rain jacket, what else? Hat?

This biggest thing, IMO, is having a way to keep your work clothes/stuff dry and just accepting that you're gonna get wet. I'll throw on a rain shell and shoe covers (wet feet are THE WORST) and maaaaaybe a folding fender, but really you just have to make peace with getting soaked. As long as you can change into dry clothing once you get to work, riding in the rain can actually be super fun. Changing back into wet clothes for the ride home can be kinda sucky, but once you get back out into the elements it stops mattering.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

What kind of rain you get changes the equation a bit.
For PNW rain which is rarely torrential, full coverage fenders with flaps make a tremendous difference in how wet I get.

My rainy commute setup is: full fenders, if it's warm I'll just run booties over regular shoes, if it's cold I have winter waterproof boots, a shake dry jacket (spendy but amazing), and a change of clothes for the office.
A fan for the office and a boot dryer are helpful for avoiding having to put soggy clothes back on to go home (but a spare pair of socks in case the first didn't dry is a great luxury).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kimbo305 posted:

I have one jacket whose hood was thin enough for me to wear under the helmet.
If I know it's gonna be raining a lot, I can switch to a helmet with no vents.

My brooks rain cape has a hood designed to go around the helmet.