Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
thank you for taking the L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Pretty sure when people cite Kate's racism they're referring to her action and inaction in the Buffering community and as one of the founders of the Valkyries. Before she scrubbed her Twitter there were multiple people calling her out for letting the groups she run exclude people of color, said people explicitly telling her that it was happening, then her doing nothing about it.

Like this woman states in 2017.

Or this thread.

https://twitter.com/oheysteenz/status/1276598610499600396?s=20

There's no bullet with the n-word engraved on it that we can trace back to a firearm owned by Leth, but there's more than just that clearly disingenuous facebook post.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don’t think anyone is actually going to convince a person who labeled a black woman getting mad in a way they thought was incorrect as a sociopath but I for one really appreciate the efforts y’all have put in for providing sources.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

and there hasn't been any evidence of that except she quoted a Black woman in her own defense who she never actually interacted with.

I don't know how many times in gonna have to repeat this but if the woman affected and other women of color think this is racist behavior, along with how she dealt with the valkyries situation and whatever else gets passed along in whisper networks that gets hinted at by creators, I'm not just gonna blindly say they're wrong

Skwirl posted:

I'm not saying every white person who's quoted a Black person they've never met and who they don't really care about to defend themselves against racism doesn't deserve getting dragged through the street for it, I'm just saying there's not enough time.

This seems like such a weird thing to end on. Mackenzie can't be mad because there's not enough time? What does that even mean

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Clipperton posted:

i honestly don't give a gently caress if leth's a racist or not

So why are we still having this conversation?
A lot of this is predicated on hearsay and anecdotal evidence but the fact is that a lot of cases of bias, discrimination, etc. don't leave a particularly compelling papertrail. In this case, in terms of assessing the accusations against Kate Leth, I've chosen to believe the women who've spoken out against her but I guess it's your prerogative to not be totally persuaded by their accounts. It seems like my read here is closer to the thread consensus and it also seems that things are rapidly becoming circular and hostile.

I'm not sure where else this conversation can go? If you're looking for a smoking fun I'm sure it will be posted here as soon as it's evident, but it's just as likely that this story will remain rooted in the very often legitimate but occasionally flawed domain of whisper networks and rumor.

That's compelling enough for some people, but not compelling enough for you. I think it's fine to leave it at that?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
that thread is full of stuff like this

https://twitter.com/oheysteenz/status/1276599077749358594

"we wanted to shut down valkyries, but leth didn't, then it got shut down anyway, which we wanted, but people were mad at us for that and that was leth's fault too for some reason"

like i said several posts ago, ppl seem to be mad at leth because (to them) she's a climber who used her relationships and the orgs she was part of for her own advancement without caring for them much. which is fine, but they're bringing in extreeeeemely tenuous "racism" allegations to bolster their case and when asked to back it up they're backing and filling and coming up with stuff like this. it's not helping

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don’t think anyone is actually going to convince a person who labeled a black woman getting mad in a way they thought was incorrect as a sociopath but I for one really appreciate the efforts y’all have put in for providing sources.

she specifically told leth not to post about her, and leth didn't, then she went off at leth for not posting an apology instead. it's regina george poo poo

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I will say that a pretty good swath of the things in the instagram album are huge reaches or are just bad and stupid tweets. I think that even if we grant that there's still a conversation to be had about race and the Valkyries thing which as I understand it is the real meat of the issue.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This thread moved fast while I was editing a reply from last past so dumping this over here instead:

To mirror the conversation in this very thread (Clipperton, looking at you), a lot of the stories (and deleted Twitter/social media) interactions aren't about that sort of Classic Movie Racism, but more a situation that is essentially:

KATE LETH: [thing that is kind of hosed up but you could charitably interpret as not based out of racial animus, just ignorance/societal conditioning]
PERSON OF COLOR: "Hey, uh, that's kind of hosed up."
KATE LETH: What? No it isn't! What are you talking about, it's fine!
MORE PEOPLE OF COLOR: "No, it's kind of hosed up, here's why"
KATE LETH: "Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't know! Seems fine to me!"
EVEN MORE PEOPLE: "No really, please reflect on this for a second."

And then she deletes the original statement and sometimes issues a vague apology but not about or to anyone in particular and moves on.

I do not have screen caps of it, though I vividly remember it happening/the contemporary reaction to it, and you can search for it on Twitter but fair warning, no one else has screencaps either. She posted one night that her ideal pet would be Idris Elba on a leash. I am sure that her intention was just to be horny on main, but a lot of people correctly pointed out that expressing this horniness by characterizing the object of your affection (regardless of personal identity) as a pet on a leash is a little suspect, especially when it's a black man, was met with indifference/pushback, until eventually she just deleted the tweet and pretended it never happened.

This is a pattern dozens of people have experienced in public and private and to my knowledge there has never been a bunch of hate speech rants made, the pattern emerges that maybe she just really doesn't give a poo poo about these issues or these people, and doesn't particularly respect the opinions or feelings of the people who try to talk to her about it. This is bad enough, but to do all of this while proclaiming yourself an activist/advocate/ally really rubs folks the wrong way, and I can't blame them. A lot of people might actually call this... I dunno, racism???

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 20, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

I will say that a pretty good swath of the things in the instagram album are huge reaches or are just bad and stupid tweets. I think that even if we grant that there's still a conversation to be had about race and the Valkyries thing which as I understand it is the real meat of the issue.

why do you have a bee now? is it a mod thing because i want a bee

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
the thing is, calling all that "racism" (as opposed to, say, "being a narcissistic climber") is a major reach. and her accusers admit it's a reach - if it was enough on its own, they would have said so right off the bat, job done. instead they've vacillated and, when pressed, the best they can do is to turn up anti-racist webcomics and kelly marie tran retweets and such

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Clipperton posted:

the thing is, calling all that "racism" (as opposed to, say, "being a narcissistic climber") is a major reach. and her accusers admit it's a reach - if it was enough on its own, they would have said so right off the bat, job done. instead they've vacillated and, when pressed, the best they can do is to turn up anti-racist webcomics and kelly marie tran retweets and such

Racism can be a passive process which is what E&C was getting at. I don't think anybody is claiming that she's running around in a white hood, it's a matter of who she treats as disposable, who she cultivates as worth catering to, etc., who has room for upward mobility in circles she runs and who is pushed to the margins. Again this is largely specifically stuff pertaining to Valkyries in-group tensions which have not left a compelling paper trail.

Or to keep it within the frames you've provided since I think they're not inaccurate, I'd argue that the way in which she reveals herself as self-interested and more cutthroat or opportunistic than she wants to be perceived intersects with other issues-- one of these is race, and that reveals itself in the way she treats the complaints of non-white people as less weighty, and holds herself to lower standards when it comes to racial issues. It's nuanced, yeah, but it is also quite easily read as pretty damning.

Soonmot posted:

why do you have a bee now? is it a mod thing because i want a bee
A bunch of mods have special icons but iirc a handful of non-mods do as well. I'm not sure what the usual avenue for getting one is, you could try PMing an admin? I think at some point when the ink is dry on the sale they'd be something neat to buy as a forum upgrade but I don't think anyone is in a hurry to provide LT another avenue of income so I think your best bet would be asking an admin for a freebie. A free bee.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 21, 2020

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I'm gonna listen to the nonwhite folks when they say they see something eff'd up, because I know I can be too much of an oblivious oaf to pick it up myself.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Clipperton posted:

I really think you're conflating about a dozen things here and I am going to assume it's good faith distraction and not anything else but to be very very very clear, "kellie marie tran retweets" are completely divorced from what anyone other than some Comicsgate-adjacent "reverse racist feminazi" people who are not in this thread are using.

Also yes, thank you for confirming your threshhold of racism is still at the level of "is not literally a villain in a 1950s teleplay about tolerance".

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

I really think you're conflating about a dozen things here and I am going to assume it's good faith distraction and not anything else but to be very very very clear, "kellie marie tran retweets" are completely divorced from what anyone other than some Comicsgate-adjacent "reverse racist feminazi" people who are not in this thread are using.

okay so why would anyone tweet
https://twitter.com/CiaraOCalla/status/1295235874876203009
when the only relevant link you get by googling "kate leth reddit" is the comicsgate thing with the dossier of tran retweets? like i said, they're just throwing a bunch of poo poo against the wall and hoping some of it sticks because they dislike leth for their own (maybe valid!) reasons

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is an extraordinarily strange hill to die on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Clipperton posted:

i honestly don't give a gently caress if leth's a racist or not

Then stop posting about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's some crap in a few comic groups on FB claiming EVS is speaking at the RNC and honestly wouldn't shock me if it was true.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

They invited that gargoyle lawyer couple from St. Louis who waved guns at BLM protestors walking past their house, so I can see that. The GOP has stopped pretending to have any kind of integrity or standards and have just gone full troll.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

There's some crap in a few comic groups on FB claiming EVS is speaking at the RNC and honestly wouldn't shock me if it was true.

This sounds like wishful thinking by a bunch of comic book chuds wishing that the greater chud world cared about their hobby.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Lol

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

And yet the DNC could only get that man who was in that one issue of Spider-Man. Embarrassing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JordanKai posted:

And yet the DNC could only get that man who was in that one issue of Spider-Man. Embarrassing.

Shameful even.

The RNC got the MyPillow guy so there's that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

JordanKai posted:

This guy?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JordanKai posted:

Give obama some credit he was in Norman Osborn's thunderbolts and also at the end of civil war 2

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

His most important act was getting Spider-Man on that plane so he could get dunked on by a literal child.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

His most important act was getting Spider-Man on that plane so he could get dunked on by a literal child.

Still the best thing comics have ever done, so I'll give the Obama Administration some credit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Give obama some credit he was in Norman Osborn's thunderbolts and also at the end of civil war 2

Sadly neither of those issues sent speculators into a wild, hungering frenzy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If only comicsgate was a thing then, evs could've bought a truckload and destroy them on livestream or something

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

JordanKai posted:

They’re still reaching out for that Dr Doom vote.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/ronmarz/status/1297009188485439488

Has Marz been anti-CG for a while? Because that's pretty cool.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

A quick Twitter search (of "from:@RonMarz Comicsgate if people haven't learned twitter search language) shows that he's been making GBS threads on Comicsgate for about two and a half years, yeah.

https://twitter.com/ronmarz/status/962002124166090752

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hadji murad posted:

They’re still reaching out for that Dr Doom vote.

Well, to be fair that is 100% of the vote share in Latveria.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Jedit posted:

Well, to be fair that is 100% of the vote share in Latveria.

They do have universal health care and no one is starving or homeless. Hard to find a job with all the Doombots though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

seaborgium posted:

They do have universal health care and no one is starving or homeless. Hard to find a job with all the Doombots though.

Latveria probably has UBI as well.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Somebody has to repair the doombots, and also all the random superhero violence.

You think Dr. Doom has time to fix the wall Luke Cage burst through to get his $200?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Dr. Doom pays the average citizen to stand around reenacting Medieval times so he can feel smugly superior to the peasants under his command, while Doombots ensure everyone is fed, clothed, and etc.

He's basically hired an entire country to LARP D&D with him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

Latveria probably has UBI as well.

There's an arc of FF where they actually get rid of Doom and try to replace his regime with something friendlier, only to be driven out because the Latverians ultimately recognise that while Doom is a despot who represses them mercilessly, that repression is the only thing to dislike him for. There's no crime, no unemployment, no starvation, and no other country dares to gently caress with Latveria because Doom protects his people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I seem to remember hearing some bad poo poo about Terrific Productions awhile back, can't remember if it was more "not paying creators" stuff or something else or if I'm thinking of some other small press

https://twitter.com/JAMALIGLE/status/1297111437685460993?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Terrific Comics is this:

Me Earlier in the Thread posted:

1) Rob Liefeld made a lot of bad moves and kept jumping from company to company in the late 1990s
2) Awesome Comics was going to a company co-founded by Rob Liefeld and Jeph Loeb, and Loeb suggested they get funding from Scott Rosenberg, who totally belongs in Industry Terribleness part of this thread for stuff before, during, and after his time working with Liefeld.
2a) Awesome Comics quickly crashes and burns, and Alan Moore ends up doing America's Best Comics almost entirely because he told a bunch of artists they could work on the books he was doing for Liefeld (Supreme, Youngblood, Glory) and Moore felt bad that suddenly they didn't have work, so he arranged for Wildstorm to do ABC as a make-good.
3) Like twenty years pass, and Rosenberg goes "oh uh actually I sold the movie rights I had for Youngblood to Andrew Rev, who bought Comico in the early 1990s and hosed Matt Wagner and Bill Willingham and others out of their creator-owned books and surprise we've trademarked Youngblood and asserting the rights to make the comic too."

Just imagine a really inept version of Bullpen Bulletins style Stan Lee running a start-up in 2020 that is trying to convince established pros to work for exposure, but I guess sucking it up and paying Larry Stroman for a cover if need be.