Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

looking forward to seeing Youtube's compression algorith deal with this one :f5:

edit: oh right, here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQER3lYiMbU

:catdrugs::pcgaming::catdrugs::pcgaming::catdrugs::pcgaming::catdrugs::pcgaming::catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

• Can you recognise the Doom mods in this clip from Netflix's High Score documentary?

What's that one with the sick bow at :59?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I've been replaying Deus Ex with GMDX and noticed a plot point I never picked up on before, that guns are banned for civilian use in the US. Between that and the hoax disease created by the Illuminati to control the population this game was really loving good at predicting future conspiracy theories. Also the WTC missing from the NY skyline is just :discourse:

Youth with a Skull
Aug 16, 2004

Hit 'em with one-a dees
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

sgdq currently has dark forces 2 running and will follow up with blood and doom 3, both which should be cool for varying reasons

As an aside, is there a legit, consistent way to get Dark Forces 2 to run properly with hardware rendering on modern machines? I've tried glide wrappers, patches, compatibility modes, guides, pretty much everything over the years and it always results in playing the game in like a 1024x768 window in the chonky software renderer

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Youth with a Skull posted:

As an aside, is there a legit, consistent way to get Dark Forces 2 to run properly with hardware rendering on modern machines? I've tried glide wrappers, patches, compatibility modes, guides, pretty much everything over the years and it always results in playing the game in like a 1024x768 window in the chonky software renderer

The current GOG and Steam versions actually run fairly well out of the box, but you need to limit the FPS to like 47 to stop it hitching all the time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ETPC posted:

millennium is 100% my trash because i fuckin love the anxious y2k aesthetic mixed with biblical epistemology

fun fact, the FMV actor for kyle katarn in dark forces II was in multiple episodes of silk stockings

Holy poo poo, someone else remembers that old USA tv show.

I’ve got it working pretty well using DG_Voodoo. I found a guide, I think on this thread, to getting it to run, but it runs pretty well and with 3D hardware.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 20, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

This is giving me some delightful 50 Shades of Graytall vibes.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'll continue to argue it, but Batman Doom is probably the best TC by a country mile.

Absolutely insane that it was done before modern source ports etc. changed the game.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The Kins posted:

• The Gateway to Shrangli-La is scientifically designed to destroy bitrates.
  • Steam is running a weekend sale on games with "0451" references in them, on account of Ray Bradbury's 100th birthday. Get ur immersive sim on.
  • Can you recognise the Doom mods in this clip from Netflix's High Score documentary?

:barf:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'll continue to argue it, but Batman Doom is probably the best TC by a country mile.

Absolutely insane that it was done before modern source ports etc. changed the game.

It came out of absolutely nowhere too! And developed on a Mac to boot!

Even more insane, a year and a half ago I helped to restore a feature that had been missing from the PC version ever since it was released!

quote:

The original Mac version of Batman Doom had an alternate effect for Zeke's Molotov Cocktail. Instead of the bottle spawning a single flame, it causes a multitude of flames to appear. This turns out to be a clever (ab)use of the Pain Elemental death code pointer, relying on vanilla Doom's hardcoded 21 Lost Soul limit to stop spawning new flames.

ACE Team decided to disable this effect for the original PC release since they required Boom to work around another Dehacked issue. Boom removes the Lost Soul cap and causes this effect to crash the game.

With fraggle's earlier fix to allow vanilla Doom to run Batman Doom (see vbatman.zip), it's now possible to restore the original Mac Molotov Cocktail behavior to the PC version.

You can download the patch from idgames and here are instructions on using it with Chocolate Doom.

Edit: here’s a video of the restored fire behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unLFZdcQ6xQ

david_a fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 20, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Convex posted:

I've been replaying Deus Ex with GMDX and noticed a plot point I never picked up on before, that guns are banned for civilian use in the US. Between that and the hoax disease created by the Illuminati to control the population this game was really loving good at predicting future conspiracy theories. Also the WTC missing from the NY skyline is just :discourse:

There are also gas prices that at the time looked ridiculous but are what we pay nowadays.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are guns banned for civilian use in the US? What would you like to use a gun for that you aren't able to now? Make the store clerk give you that discount?

Also, I'm not sure collating common conspiracy theories at the time really counts as "predicting the future"

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 20, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Are guns banned for civilian use in the US? What would you like to use a gun for that you aren't able to now? Make the store clerk give you that discount?

Also, I'm not sure collating common conspiracy theories at the time really counts as "predicting the future"

no, civilians can own guns in America, although obviously there's a lot of restrictions on where you can have them and what you can use them for. I don't know if that poster is interested in owning guns in real life, but I'm sure they wouldn't rob a store!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Can you recognise the Doom mods in this clip from Netflix's High Score documentary?

Zandronum
Unofficial Doom Specs
DEHACKED
Golden Souls 2
Extreme Weapon Pack
?
Adventures of Square
Pirate Doom!
DEU
Batman Doom
? + ?
Adventures of Square, again
Going Down + some HUD mod I don't recognize
Extreme Weapon Pack
Simpsons Doom II
Star Wars Doom

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm guessing Convex isn't aware of the militia conspiracies (dating back to the John Birch Society) about the government going door to door to take your guns. America's worst terrorist was even a believer in it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Deus Ex is fun because it’s the last time conspiracy theories felt kind of quaint. It was still largely fueled by racism, anti-semitism, and xenophobia but I miss when the far right was gun toting anti-establishment crazies, the Dale Gribbles of the world, to the far right we have now who are gun toting crazies that loving love the establishment.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i mentioned this in the gdq thread but this eliminates the need for dg_voodoo

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1778723490

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The 7th Guest posted:

i mentioned this in the gdq thread but this eliminates the need for dg_voodoo

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1778723490

Balls this looks awesome! I want to play this!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm guessing Convex isn't aware of the militia conspiracies (dating back to the John Birch Society) about the government going door to door to take your guns. America's worst terrorist was even a believer in it.

I was not :saddowns:

JohnnyBme
Aug 21, 2020

I'm stuck at the last level of the shores of hell, running out of ammo.
What am I doing wrong? should I look for more secrets? doing all the levels in one go without dying?
I have the same problem on the second level of Inferno.

Maybe I should just git gud

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

al-azad posted:

Deus Ex is fun because it’s the last time conspiracy theories felt kind of quaint. It was still largely fueled by racism, anti-semitism, and xenophobia but I miss when the far right was gun toting anti-establishment crazies, the Dale Gribbles of the world, to the far right we have now who are gun toting crazies that loving love the establishment.

Nowadays the former group would be the "Boogaloo" types, but they're less cohesive, some of them are sympathetic to BLM and other left movements while others are little more than libertarian nazis, it's more varied and the main unifying topic is guns and anti-government/anti-authority stances. But unlike the past "gonna be ready for when the UN NWO sends the black helicopters after me!!!" militia types there's a strong nihilistic strain, not only do they see the coming collapse of civilization as inevitable but hey, why not help things along? So more like a right-wing version of the old stereotype of the bomb-chucking anarchist willing to blow up anything to start the revolution.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I'm more concerned about Savage.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

JohnnyBme posted:

What am I doing wrong? should I look for more secrets? doing all the levels in one go without dying?

use berserk on every pinky (especially in that storage room) and you should be fine, if you're having trouble with that room you can grab the invincibility sphere from the other side and quickly run to the pinky brawling room

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Get the plasma rifle. There's always one in shores of hell.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ArfJason posted:

I'm more concerned about Savage.

U.. UNATCO?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

JohnnyBme posted:

In addition to using Berserk on pinkies, you can also reasonably use your (even regular) fists on regular zombiemen and sometimes imps/lost souls. Try not to do so on sergeants though - those shotguns loving hurt.

Once you get the chainsaw, you can also melee cacodemons in addition to the above, as well as being able to trash imps/lost souls more reliably (keeping them pain-locked better compared to fists).

It might be a little scary at first but it's a good way to save ammo. For Doom 2, fists can be reasonably used on pain elementals since you'll be up in their face and preventing lost soul spawns, and chainsawing can further be a reasonable bet on mancubi/revenants/arachnotrons thanks to their (relatively) high pain chance.

Of course all this comes with caveats such as what the number and mix of monsters you're facing is like. A group of zombiemen or pinkies can be handled reasonably, but if there are barons around it might be better to quickly sweep the chaff with a proper weapon to give you some breathing room. As you play more you'll get more comfortable with assessing the situation and knowing when you can use melee.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

david_a posted:

U.. UNATCO?

No.
Savage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Convex posted:

I was not :saddowns:

Yeah pre-9/11 the big terrorism worry was far-right milita types who believed a New World Order one world government was imminent with black helicopters and jack booted thugs coming door to door to take muh guns.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Breakin’ 2: Militia Boogaloo

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Civvie does QII whooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBP8Ru0stRI

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ohh I was going to do the joke of 'Civvie does another terrible old FPS... oh wait, no, Quake 2'.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JohnnyBme posted:

On top of using Berserk and the Chainsaw, another good way of saving ammo is coaxing monsters into fighting each other. If an enemy accidentally hits another enemy of a different kind (or the same kind if they use bullets instead of projectiles), the injured party will often turn their attentions away from you in favor of revenge. Which means monsters getting hurt and killed without you spending so much as a bullet.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Not sure if this has been reported to you but

A. You can't access Petit Gutrot from the Town level select

B. I was encountering a lot of crashes in 0.6, I have some video but haven't had the time to cut it down yet. One of the more memorable crashes was caused by dunking on like 8 enemies at once

al-azad
May 28, 2009

JohnnyBme posted:

Are you talking Spawning Vats or Tower of Babel?

To echo everyone else, you shouldn't waste ammo on pinkies and lone cacos which end up making a sizable bulk of Doom's monster roster for later levels.

JohnnyBme
Aug 21, 2020

Pyrolocutus posted:

In addition to using Berserk on pinkies, you can also reasonably use your (even regular) fists on regular zombiemen and sometimes imps/lost souls. Try not to do so on sergeants though - those shotguns loving hurt.

Once you get the chainsaw, you can also melee cacodemons in addition to the above, as well as being able to trash imps/lost souls more reliably (keeping them pain-locked better compared to fists).

It might be a little scary at first but it's a good way to save ammo. For Doom 2, fists can be reasonably used on pain elementals since you'll be up in their face and preventing lost soul spawns, and chainsawing can further be a reasonable bet on mancubi/revenants/arachnotrons thanks to their (relatively) high pain chance.

Of course all this comes with caveats such as what the number and mix of monsters you're facing is like. A group of zombiemen or pinkies can be handled reasonably, but if there are barons around it might be better to quickly sweep the chaff with a proper weapon to give you some breathing room. As you play more you'll get more comfortable with assessing the situation and knowing when you can use melee.

All of those seem to work well, and especially doing the whole section in one "run", respawning mid world with 50 pistol bullets is not enough on ultra violent.
I'm surprised there is so much game time to Doom, and how much it did not age and how good it feels to play. I already have 6 hours and 2.5 levels to complete.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

Not sure if this has been reported to you but

A. You can't access Petit Gutrot from the Town level select

B. I was encountering a lot of crashes in 0.6, I have some video but haven't had the time to cut it down yet. One of the more memorable crashes was caused by dunking on like 8 enemies at once
A. I'm aware of that, I'll probably kick out a 0.61 relatively soon knocking out a couple of minor bugs.

B.) The "basketball crash" has been giving us the shits for months now, at some point I'm going to have to bribe someone who knows more about the under-the-hood engine stuff to figure out how to stop it from happening. Low framerates seem to make it more likely to happen, it seems...

At the moment though, I'm taking a quick break from R2 to tackle some unfinished business and recharge my batteries a bit.

Also, here's SGDQ's Doom 64 speedruns. Pretty impressive, especially the Lost Levels one. Be sure to check out the Doom Eternal speedrun when it lands on Youtube, it's quite something!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3oBvzHekn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0BvICYvZvE

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would argue that in original Doom UV isn't a significant bump in difficulty from HMP because extra enemies means more workhorse ammo from shotgunners and more opportunities for infighting.

Then you get Plutonia which absolutely understands infighting and says "gently caress you" to the player by creating a clear separation of enemies so hitscanners will almost always have unblocked line of sight while melee monsters rush your flank.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pyrolocutus posted:

chainsawing can further be a reasonable bet on mancubi/revenants/arachnotrons thanks to their (relatively) high pain chance.

Mancs are hard to hurt because they're so fat, and arachnos are near impossible to reach because they keep you away with their big dumb mechanical legs.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It's far, far easier to chainsaw a manc or arachnotron on a zdoom based port vs anything else. It's another case where behaviour with zdoom significantly deviates from the purist, demo compatible ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

oh no.

https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1291092032711282690