Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Fair enough. I'll take a look at it today if I get some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Now that I think about it I'm surprised that no one has stepped up and "well hell I'll code it."

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Now that I think about it I'm surprised that no one has stepped up and "well hell I'll code it."

Android development is a bit niche and it requires someone's spare time too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

A number of people have thought it but:

CyberPingu posted:

Android development is a bit niche and it requires someone's spare time too.

The iOS app may have some code that could be adapted to whatever Android does but it’s beyond my current abilities to even start.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I did some Android development but like, in the era of Android 3. Now I hiss whenever I look at gradle

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Midjack posted:

A number of people have thought it but:

The iOS app may have some code that could be adapted to whatever Android does but it’s beyond my current abilities to even start.

do not steal

api is copyright

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ORIGINAL SUBROUTINE DO NOT STEAL

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

pokeyman posted:

do not steal

api is copyright

Isn't the API coming from SA? Not the app itself...

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Isn't the API coming from SA? Not the app itself...

The app itself has an API I'm sure that talks to the SA site

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I wouldn't put any work into the app until the sale is final and Lowtax has hosed off.

I know I don't.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Ever since I updated the app to fix the login issue, every thread page just loads up blank. The forums/thread lists show up fine and the unread post count updates, but the posts themselves won't show up on any thread. Already tried clearing data and reinstalling.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Ever since I updated the app to fix the login issue, every thread page just loads up blank. The forums/thread lists show up fine and the unread post count updates, but the posts themselves won't show up on any thread. Already tried clearing data and reinstalling.

You don't have the post quality filter turned on, do you? This was a joke, I actually don't have any ideas.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Have you tried updating Chrome? That has solved more Awful app issues for me than updating the app itself, through what I assume to be a large conspiratorial network of app developers somehow making themselves rich via underhanded deals with one another.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chrome did just get an update a few days ago.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hello, is YouTube embeds not working a known issue? I just get the sound and a flickering static image. Samsung j5.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Hello, is YouTube embeds not working a known issue? I just get the sound and a flickering static image. Samsung j5.

Embeds work fine for me

Have you done the usual things of updating the app and chrome?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No, I'll do that, hopefully it will fix it!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Long time user, first time time poster. It would be nice to mark a thread as read from the long press menu without opening it, and to have a way to mark all posts as read in the bookmark or forum view. I've never worked on an android app but if its something I can help with I'd like to do that too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the lack of real API would make that not possible. Generally, if you can't do it in the web interface for the site, the app can't do it either since it's an HTML scraper.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You can mark things seen with a get request and I assume the app can access "https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=setseen&threadid=3571717&index=6659" like anything else can. The index would either use the the number of replies + 1, or a really big number, enough that no thread has that many replies.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I hadn't actually ever considered using the app not to read threads.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

I hadn't actually ever considered using the app not to read threads.

The main way I use the app is the bookmark view, with unread threads at the top. So every time I go there, there's a full screen of PYF threads with 300+ replies at the top. I mark them as read to say I don't care, by opening the thread and going to the last page.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

xtal posted:

The main way I use the app is the bookmark view, with unread threads at the top. So every time I go there, there's a full screen of PYF threads with 300+ replies at the top. I mark them as read to say I don't care, by opening the thread and going to the last page.
Seems more efficient to unbookmark those threads and to just visit PYF when you feel like it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Recently I started having an issue with gifs and twitter videos in posts. Sometimes they'll cause the posts to go completely black with flickering borders and frames and stuff. Everything still works, I can still click (the now hidden) links, pause the video, etc, and when I scroll as soon as the offending video/gif goes off screen the effect disappears until I scroll it back on screen.

This only happens sometimes, and isn't specific to the video or gif, because when I try to play the same thing when it's quoted later on the same page it plays fine.

Samsung Galaxy A10, Android 10. Chrome and everything else is up to date I think.

(Please don't tell me my phone is dying, I've only had this one for a year or so.)

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
I've been having "Loading Failed" errors since earlier this afternoon. I figured the site was down but apparently it's not. Is this just me?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farten Barfen posted:

I've been having "Loading Failed" errors since earlier this afternoon. I figured the site was down but apparently it's not. Is this just me?

I get that when I'm near corporate wifi and have to turn it off

Lots of places block the forums. I know McDonald's does, for example

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I get that when I'm near corporate wifi and have to turn it off

Lots of places block the forums. I know McDonald's does, for example

Yeah, not too long ago, my job blocked the forums (but not the website), so unless I use data, I can't use the app at work.

On a tangent, the This Page Is Blocked page says the reason it's blocked is Weapons, yet I can still visit /r/weapons on reddit. Makes me think someone in IT got a probe/ban here, and this is their petty revenge...

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, not too long ago, my job blocked the forums (but not the website), so unless I use data, I can't use the app at work.

On a tangent, the This Page Is Blocked page says the reason it's blocked is Weapons, yet I can still visit /r/weapons on reddit. Makes me think someone in IT got a probe/ban here, and this is their petty revenge...

Odd. I'm on my home wifi and nothing has changed. I'll just try reinstalling the app.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kheldarn posted:

Or, just as likely, someone in management likes reddit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Or it’s an old rear end filter list that predates reddit and was never updated.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Farten Barfen posted:

Odd. I'm on my home wifi and nothing has changed. I'll just try reinstalling the app.

Don't forget to make sure Chrome and/or Android Webview are up to date.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Midjack posted:

Or it’s an old rear end filter list that predates reddit and was never updated.

I'm gonna go with All Of The Above.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
I figured it out, for some unknown reason the VPN server I was using wasn't allowing the awful app to access the site. This is super weird because I could access the forums through Chrome just fine. I changed locations and it magically started working again.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
square static versions of the new QCS tags

scrub lover posted:

the awful app people are free to use these

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

scrub lover posted:

Fantastic

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

scrub lover posted:

I added these to the thread tags repo and pushed them up to awfulapp.com. Then I did it again after I forgot to resize them.

Don't remember if the .apk uses new tags automatically.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
How do I update my app to see the new Qcs icons? I think I'm in the beta app if that helps.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Is the Imgur uploader broken for everyone?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Hmm, yep

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

angryrobots posted:

It's been "over limit" or whatever for me for over 24 hours, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Bloop posted:

It's been "over limit" or whatever for me for over 24 hours, yes

I wouldn't be surprised if imgur hosed something up while pushing their emerald poo poo.