Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Folks, I hosed up. I started an OnAir trial and futzed around with how poo poo work and I'm now halfway through the tutorial flight

This poo poo? This poo poo loving OWNS. Flying at night paying attention to the instruments, cruising while fudging with various buttons, all while the app tracks my flight in real time? God drat this poo poo is dangerous.

As someone who had the dumb flight sim bug, I hope everyone who tries this game catches this terrible disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

piratepilates posted:

For the life of me I can't understand why they disabled virtual navigation aides in the "fly solo" training mission. I took off, hit left, entered the traffic pattern, missed some mid-air objective, and then took another left and landed pretty decently, but I fail because I didn't do some part of it right, but it also doesn't show you (or let you enable the aide) where you were supposed to hit mid-air. Like it doesn't even give you the right altitude or GPS or something you were supposed to hit, how are dumb new flight sim players like me supposed to know :confused:

I had the same issue and currently the only sticking point I have with this game as a dumb new flight sim player is its objective system. The objectives all seem pretty finicky in terms of their 'hit-box' and if you 'miss' one then it seems to get stuck on that and screw up the rest of your flight.

Most recently I was doing a wonderful sunset jaunt from my part of North/Central Ontario down to Toronto City Airport. On this flight I got that MSF magic for the first time as the sun glistened over the lake below me and Toronto gradually hoved into view, beautiful!

After touching down twice (didnt use the proper landing pattern first time, away I go again!) I guess I missed my turn as I was taxiing(?) off the run-way because the objective said I had completed 'taxi to your destination' but offered no indication as to what I was supposed to do from there. I tootled around for a wee bit until I bumped into where I was supposed to park but the objective still didnt update even as the parking box turned from blue to green, I then found ANOTHER parking box that did update the objective, but I blew past it and it never showed up again. Consequently my objective was now 'switch off engine', but I had nowhere to switch it off. My first successful flight went unlogged.

Not the end of the world as I want to do it again to take some proper screenshots, and I'm sure its my fault, but its still a bit of a piss-off.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Anime Store Adventure posted:

As someone who had the dumb flight sim bug, I hope everyone who tries this game catches this terrible disease.
I thought I was cured. Now I have to dig all my flight gear out of storage, or, better yet, buy all new flight gear. And get OnAir. And start getting into DCS. And also buy all of its modules. :negative:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Folks, I hosed up. I started an OnAir trial and futzed around with how poo poo work and I'm now halfway through the tutorial flight

This poo poo? This poo poo loving OWNS. Flying at night paying attention to the instruments, cruising while fudging with various buttons, all while the app tracks my flight in real time? God drat this poo poo is dangerous.

I was meant to sleep 6 hours ago... But I keep checking my flights. I've got one pilot shuttling cargo to Italy, and another pilot is flying my plane to Germany, and I'm onboard for the ride, cause I fancy flying around Germany tomorrow for some jobs. I think I'll wake up with a lot of debt though, I didn't realise AI pilots charge overtime when they go past their work shifts, I just assumed they'd not fly until they'd rested. Oops.

And to think I was originally going to play this during the free trial and then never touch it again, but now I realise I'm eyeing up the different price packages and might actually subscribe.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 21, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I made a flight from Newark Intl to East Hamptons at night, live time and weather, in a TBM. I ordered a PS3 eye for that FaceTrackNoIR thing and I'm getting my Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS back, and setting up my other monitor to show instruments on.

I think I became a flight nerd :(

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Simiain posted:

I had the same issue and currently the only sticking point I have with this game as a dumb new flight sim player is its objective system. The objectives all seem pretty finicky in terms of their 'hit-box' and if you 'miss' one then it seems to get stuck on that and screw up the rest of your flight.

Most recently I was doing a wonderful sunset jaunt from my part of North/Central Ontario down to Toronto City Airport. On this flight I got that MSF magic for the first time as the sun glistened over the lake below me and Toronto gradually hoved into view, beautiful!

After touching down twice (didnt use the proper landing pattern first time, away I go again!) I guess I missed my turn as I was taxiing(?) off the run-way because the objective said I had completed 'taxi to your destination' but offered no indication as to what I was supposed to do from there. I tootled around for a wee bit until I bumped into where I was supposed to park but the objective still didnt update even as the parking box turned from blue to green, I then found ANOTHER parking box that did update the objective, but I blew past it and it never showed up again. Consequently my objective was now 'switch off engine', but I had nowhere to switch it off. My first successful flight went unlogged.

Not the end of the world as I want to do it again to take some proper screenshots, and I'm sure its my fault, but its still a bit of a piss-off.

I agree, finicky is a good term for it. I did manage to beat that solo takeoff/landing training mission tonight, but it just seems hard to tell whether I met their criteria or not in the flight. I took off and landed just fine, but I missed some mark mid-flight and wasn't able to tell where/how. I think that's the main thing about the gameplay that needs work for me -- sometimes I can tell I'm doing something wrong, but it's hard to tell precisely how the thing is wrong and what I should do now that I did it wrong.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I refuse to stop posting about this game.

Flying at night, and just noticed how good the effects of light pollution and urban areas vs rural areas are on the light around you. I want to bring it up because its something that I almost missed because it seemed so natural.

This is me over a small/medium urban area. 9500ft, I think the floor is maybe 500.

This is slightly later, over a lake and rural area, with no reflection from the urban light pollution.

I'm going to stare at planes too much.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

If anyone is buying new flight stuff and getting rid of something old, I will buy it from you! Really looking for a stick to get into this more.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
It makes me so drat happy to see so many new people coming in to the hobby and digging it. I haven't seen anything like this in all my years of setting money on fire for plane jpegs.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Arsonide posted:

Right now in OnAir, there are some jobs that have multiple "legs", and under partnerships goons could each run a leg to do the job cooperatively. Goons can also outsource jobs to other goon partners. Each goon is independent though.

FAKE EDIT: Oh poo poo, there ARE actual virtual airlines on the Thunder World, but from what I understand, AI pilots are also disabled on that world. I've been using AI pilots to great effect during my work hours. So that's sort of a lovely decision.

i mean this thunder world sounds exactly like what i'm interested in. goon air pilot-owned co-op, yes please.

e: hammer and sickle logo required

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Really dumb question, my g1000 shows my starting altitude above sea level even in Colorado so I start at like 4000 ft and calculate my altitude from what I remember at the airport . Is that just the way it is?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Was trying to add to my manual cache but I had to cancel out of it and i think my game froze? Music is still playing and I can alt tab out but it says not to turn off or exit flight sim. It's been at this screen for a while? Anyone else ever freeze up here?

Also I snooped around for an answer but there appears to be no way to lower the size of the maximum manual cache holding? I set mine to 50gb thinking i could just decrease but I guess I can't?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone seen any cool full moon screenshots?

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I'll mention it again since this thread is moving so fast these days:

I have a T.16000 HOTAS and a Saitek (early iteration) x56 HOTAS, both in perfect working order, if a little dusty. I don't have any spare pedals, but both have twist sticks so good enough to get a couple folks going (the x56 creaks). I'm not in need of cash so I'd be willing to part with them for a donation to a good cause.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

karma_coma posted:

Really dumb question, my g1000 shows my starting altitude above sea level even in Colorado so I start at like 4000 ft and calculate my altitude from what I remember at the airport . Is that just the way it is?

You can set it going by the information given by ATC on the radio. Set the bar (should be a knob somewhere) to match what the robot man on ATC tells you. You can radio in to your arriving airport to get that info too. So if you're told 29.92 just set your system to that. Then you can do your calculations from there. Sorry I can't more elegantly explain it.

soggybagel posted:

Was trying to add to my manual cache but I had to cancel out of it and i think my game froze? Music is still playing and I can alt tab out but it says not to turn off or exit flight sim. It's been at this screen for a while? Anyone else ever freeze up here?

Also I snooped around for an answer but there appears to be no way to lower the size of the maximum manual cache holding? I set mine to 50gb thinking i could just decrease but I guess I can't?

Try zooming all the way out when it first loads. It's really slow and laggy but it seems to load a larger region better than fully zoomed in.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

cmpterjones posted:

I have a T.16000 HOTAS and a Saitek (early iteration) x56 HOTAS, both in perfect working order, if a little dusty. I don't have any spare pedals, but both have twist sticks so good enough to get a couple folks going (the x56 creaks). I'm not in need of cash so I'd be willing to part with them for a donation to a good cause.

I would take the 16000 in a second!

Of course, can donate to any cause you recommend. Also sent you a PM.

Aardvark Barber fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 21, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

marshmonkey posted:

Anyone seen any cool full moon screenshots?

Does the game take into account the actual phases of the moon? If so, you're out of luck because it's a new moon.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Romes128 posted:

Try zooming all the way out when it first loads. It's really slow and laggy but it seems to load a larger region better than fully zoomed in.

gently caress I think I might have to re-install the game. I had already highlighted some areas, started to try to download to cache but had to abort/cancel out because the download said it was going to take forever so it popped up a menu that said don't exit game while its handling the cache but it was there for a long time so I exited. Now when i cl;ick back into the manual cache button in the general menu it freezes....uh oh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The screenshots are not as good as playing the game with HDR10 turned on. It's a night and day difference. The screenshots don't do the HDR settings justice.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Has anyone figured out how to get the sim to navigate to a custom waypoint?

I can add the point as the destination (via the search box on the left side of the create flight screen, it shows up in the back log, but won't show on the VFR minimap, or on any of the GPS units.

It also doesn't show up on the POI or route/waypoint markers if I turn them on in the assists menu, so I don't know if it's not working, if I'm missing something, or both.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

soggybagel posted:

You have to delete the file manually unfortunately. It's in the same place as the rolling cache directory.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

karma_coma posted:

Pretty much. All flying is done by altitude above sea level because altitude above the ground can and does change by hundreds of feet in just a few minutes.

VFR maps and airport guides all list the airport altitude above sea level so you can take it into account when landing. Typically an airport pattern is 1000 feet above the airport's listed altitude.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

my buddy wanted me to fly to some remote island in the bering sea so i spawned here it at like 6000 feet and my god the cloud level was basically from 5000 feet straight to the ocean. i tried to see if i could come out below the clouds but it genuinely just went all the way to the water. i was only able to see the ocean at about 500 feet. wanted to see if it would clear up if i got closer to land and seeing this land mass just appear out of the fog was like a loving horror movie.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Zero One posted:

Pretty much. All flying is done by altitude above sea level because altitude above the ground can and does change by hundreds of feet in just a few minutes.

VFR maps and airport guides all list the airport altitude above sea level so you can take it into account when landing. Typically an airport pattern is 1000 feet above the airport's listed altitude.

Got it. Watched a good video about altimeters and how they work, true altitude, etc. Interesting stuff I did not know.

Also finally flew over NYC, like 50 people flying around and except for a couple people no lag. Nice.

I’m going to check out OnAir... maybe I shouldn’t though.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Simiain posted:

Consequently my objective was now 'switch off engine', but I had nowhere to switch it off. My first successful flight went unlogged.

It should still get listed in your in-game logbook, even if you don't get the "flight completed" screen. I know because I had some amazing flight over Greek islands but just landed at the nearest airport when I stopped, and was glad to find it there later when I wanted to look my journey up on a real-world map..

uvar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 21, 2020

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

cmpterjones posted:

T.16000 is claimed, would like to get rid of the x56 at the same time to save a trip if anyone wants it!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Charles posted:

You have to delete the file manually unfortunately. It's in the same place as the rolling cache directory.

You’re a life saver. File must have been corrupted somehow and was locking the fame when I tried opening it. So weird you can always scale the cache up too, but not down. Thanks man! Saved me a whole reinstall!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Qubee posted:

Can we get an OnAir Goon Discord going? Or shove a channel in the AirGoons Discord. AirGoons is just insanely busy though, and there's only 11 of us currently which would make for a cozy spot to hangout and organize runs together.

I have brought this up and I think we can make it happen.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems whatever is doing the UI drawing in the cockpits needs to be on its own thread, instead of hooked into the main game loop or whatever is actually going on. Yesterday I was flying the 787, and in third person view I was getting like 32 fps in an area, and as soon I went into the cockpit, it halved to 16 fps. And it seems to differ based on how much and complex the FMSes are.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

How do I ILS? I've figured out how to get the nav points all setup automatically from the flight planner and hit the "NAV" button on the TBM but reading an ILS plate is a loving mystery to me. Is there like a youtube series or something
(Although that said free balling an approach in 1000 foot vis fog is very, very fun)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

soggybagel posted:

You’re a life saver. File must have been corrupted somehow and was locking the fame when I tried opening it. So weird you can always scale the cache up too, but not down. Thanks man! Saved me a whole reinstall!

I needed the same help. Keep passing it forward.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
This weekend I’ll make a google doc or something of all the little tips and great real life plane advice that’s been dropped in here. It’s all very helpful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It logs everything. My flight where all I did was gently caress around with the push back commands and then the game CTD when I clicked "tune to tower" was in my log book.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Just wanted to say that the last 3 days me and my gf have had a good time just visiting a lot of the sights we saw or wanted to see.

Yesterday we visited uluru (cool), the mountain of seven colors in Argentina (very cool), the Bolivian salt flats (look better in person I guess), mount everest (Himalayas look amazing), multiple cities in Europe, Thailand, where she used to live in Sydney, and i flew around hurricane Genevieve (breath taking).

The game is a pure joy to explore with, I haven't had such as sense of awe in a long time. The live weather is bonkers, and the best part so far was that yesterday suddenly the photometric streaming started working (better?) and suddenly everything looked even better. Appearantly the days before it didn't even work right and it still looked crazy good!

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

cmpterjones posted:

T.16000 is claimed, would like to get rid of the x56 at the same time to save a trip if anyone wants it!

I'm willing to throw down for it.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Sapozhnik posted:

Use a gamepad at the very least. You really need something capable of providing varying degrees of input if you want to be able to do anything other than fiddle with autopilot knobs for the entire duration of your flight (and even then you won't be able to land because I doubt they've got the full intricacies of autoland implemented). Keyboard-only flight is really not practical at all.

Holy crap, I can't believe the difference this made. With mouse and keyboard, I spent an hour trying to perfect my landings, with results ranging from "Hulk Hogan peed his pants" to "death."With my Xbone controller, my very first landing was buttery smooth! Thanks!

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy
It seems like it can miss some things, it crashed for me on final approach on a flight from Dallas to Houston and there is nothing in my logbook, not even a 0 time entry.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

The game is a pure joy to explore with, I haven't had such as sense of awe in a long time. The live weather is bonkers, and the best part so far was that yesterday suddenly the photometric streaming started working (better?) and suddenly everything looked even better. Appearantly the days before it didn't even work right and it still looked crazy good!

The photogrammetry is only applied to select cities, and most of them are in America. There was a map posted of all of them that maybe someone could repost, because I lost a link.

Photogrammetry is gonna be a weird feature going forward, because all of that data was originally taken for reasons other than MSFS. The game developers just said "Hey, MS owns all this data already anyway, why not use it?" This also means that they may not be able to respond to player demand very well. MS monetizes this data primarily by selling it to other corporate clients. They may not feel compelled to add more cities to the photogrammetry database just for the sake of the flight sim. I think the quality of the photogrammetry is also tied to the data available on-hand, and not necessarily the rendering code. So improvements there may also be slow. Same with the terrain textures. That stuff is generally limited by the quality of the satellite data, though there may be some improvements to be had in how satellite data is converted into ground textures. The good news there is that the Bing satellite data is generally better quality than google's in a lot of the remote parts of the world. Google has done a lot more photogrammetry, however, which is data I highly doubt MS will let Asobo ever have access to (and I doubt google would play ball either, for that matter).

The biggest improvements to the scenery will be in tweaks to the scenery AI code and asset base. Adding more varieties of buildings, making it smarter about what types of buildings to use where, adding more types of flora, improving the roads and AI traffic, making it so more than one tree species can exist in a location, etc. I think it could also be improved in more rugged areas with stuff like procedural rocks, making cliff faces and mountains look rockier instead of just vertical dirt.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The photogrammetry is only applied to select cities, and most of them are in America. There was a map posted of all of them that maybe someone could repost, because I lost a link.

Photogrammetry is gonna be a weird feature going forward, because all of that data was originally taken for reasons other than MSFS. The game developers just said "Hey, MS owns all this data already anyway, why not use it?" This also means that they may not be able to respond to player demand very well. MS monetizes this data primarily by selling it to other corporate clients. They may not feel compelled to add more cities to the photogrammetry database just for the sake of the flight sim. I think the quality of the photogrammetry is also tied to the data available on-hand, and not necessarily the rendering code. So improvements there may also be slow. Same with the terrain textures. That stuff is generally limited by the quality of the satellite data, though there may be some improvements to be had in how satellite data is converted into ground textures. The good news there is that the Bing satellite data is generally better quality than google's in a lot of the remote parts of the world. Google has done a lot more photogrammetry, however, which is data I highly doubt MS will let Asobo ever have access to (and I doubt google would play ball either, for that matter).

The biggest improvements to the scenery will be in tweaks to the scenery AI code and asset base. Adding more varieties of buildings, making it smarter about what types of buildings to use where, adding more types of flora, improving the roads and AI traffic, making it so more than one tree species can exist in a location, etc. I think it could also be improved in more rugged areas with stuff like procedural rocks, making cliff faces and mountains look rockier instead of just vertical dirt.

So either my data wasn't streaming correctly before or I just chose places with better resolution data. Either way, I hope you're right in that they'll tweak this stuff more, since you sometimes stumble over places that look like the Ai was unable to properly identify what was going on.

You're propably right about the Google / Bing photogrammetry rivalry, which is a shame because Google maps manages to make cities and especially building look pretty much accurate while the Bing data makes my parents flat roof bungsloe into a two story peak roof house.