Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

All of the Beau Biden clips during the DNC convention really leaning into the wrong son died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Surely the cop was the better choice over the wounded warrior. -_-

I think I posted it here but apparently Biden was really leaning towards picking her but they leaned away from her because campaign lawyers worried it would only take one racist GOP appointed judge to say she was ineligible to be on the ballot (she absolutely is qualified FWIW, but you know, Racism) in a battleground state and they didn't want to take the chance.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Handsome Ralph posted:

I think I posted it here but apparently Biden was really leaning towards picking her but they leaned away from her because campaign lawyers worried it would only take one racist GOP appointed judge to say she was ineligible to be on the ballot (she absolutely is qualified FWIW, but you know, Racism) in a battleground state and they didn't want to take the chance.

Yeah that - I couldn't find the article about it, but it was posted the day after the pick. It sounded like something that was absolutely freaking out campaign lawyers because birthright citizenship is actually court-untested and there's no Supreme Court precedent about it.

I don't think that alone torpedoed Duckworth, but it's a reasonable concern given the state of the judiciary.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah that - I couldn't find the article about it, but it was posted the day after the pick. It sounded like something that was absolutely freaking out campaign lawyers because birthright citizenship is actually court-untested and there's no Supreme Court precedent about it.

I don't think that alone torpedoed Duckworth, but it's a reasonable concern given the state of the judiciary.

I’d like to think that’s a slam dunk given everybody before Van Buren but who knows in 2020.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

facialimpediment posted:

I mean considering you had that one blow job hack saying Harris wasn't eligible for ~*reasons*~, it's not a far stretch of the imagination that someone would have taken it a step further with someone who was born to an American father but not on American soil.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
biden's speech is p. solid right now imo

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He is really. It is better than I thought it would be.

Of course, this is what is going to show up on FNC tomorrow
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1296645719131140101?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think he loving killed it. I'm really surprised I'm typing that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, same. It seems to me that their main strategy has been to paint Biden as an Alzheimer’s patient and that speech really hurts that cause.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Absolutely killed it and he knows it.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1296648270278733826

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I bet Biden will really crush Trump on the debates, too! That'll be sure to clinch it for him.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The part where he specifically called out that a lot of people have lost someone recently and he knows how they're feeling...that hit hard. It was a good speech.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

The part where he specifically called out that a lot of people have lost someone recently and he knows how they're feeling...that hit hard. It was a good speech.

Right— and Trump is literally not capable of showing that kind of empathy.

When he tries to fake an emotion like empathy, it gives you a kind of deep, uneasy feeling, like watching a robot that is so close to human but is not quite there, still alien.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I took this thread out of my bookmarks for my sanity, but I read it every night before I go to bed. One more reason to hate you alcoholism.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1296531898685153281?s=20

This whole thread is a wild rear end ride.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jarmak posted:

My school is opening back up and mass testing literally the entire campus. They're claiming to have the capacity to do 5k tests a day with results in 24 hours.

I'm sure it will still turn into a poo poo show but hey I guess you can't say they aren't trying.

So glad I'm on co-op this semester

Stay safe and yeah at least they do seem to be trying

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, same. It seems to me that their main strategy has been to paint Biden as an Alzheimer’s patient and that speech really hurts that cause.

Yep, if there's one thing that completely shuts down the right, it's factual evidence and a good, well-delivered speech.

Christ, people have learned nothing from 2016 :cripes:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Fister Roboto posted:

Yep, if there's one thing that completely shuts down the right, it's factual evidence and a good, well-delivered speech.

Christ, people have learned nothing from 2016 :cripes:
The point isn't that a good, well-delivered speech shuts down the right, it's that it shuts down arguments that might sway fence-sitters (and yes, idiots or scumbags though they may be, they do exist).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That looks like Russel Crowe in a wig.

Flightin' round the world

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Cugel the Clever posted:

The point isn't that a good, well-delivered speech shuts down the right, it's that it shuts down arguments that might sway fence-sitters (and yes, idiots or scumbags though they may be, they do exist).

And they count for double!

I didn't realize this until earlier today, but if you flip a Trump voter to Biden, it counts for double. You add a vote to your total and decrease from theirs! There aren't many of those "undecided" voters anymore, but they still exist and they're high-value. 2018 showed that there were plenty enough of them to flip the House and that was before the pandemic and mass uprising.

I'd venture that there were plenty of people that voted for Trump and would in no way ever do so again. The Hillary hate was really, really loving deep. But, they're receptive to the BIDEN HAS A BAD BRAIN argument and just need a little kick to get to the "eh, he's fine" Biden vote. That speech was a 50-yarder.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's no George Costanza in balaclava

RIPiss that guy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

not caring here posted:

What loving friend of his has THAT parked on the dock?

What painted?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

I had to read the article because I was curious if it's a typical "MV Collector abandons MV vehicle on the side of the interstate" situation or if it was an actual NG vehicle.

That being said I met a few MV collector guys and it was pretty amazing to see them attempt to move heavy equipment on the interstate by themselves using hilariously outdated equipment that can barely make 50 mph on the highway without overheating or breaking down due to a lack of maintenance.

So on that note, I've heard of guys abandoning old military poo poo on the side of the interstate with the hope coming back in a few hours to pick it up.

Last year, I remember some guy needing a ww2 era rdukw transported from northern Texas to San Antonio and didn't like the flatbed quotes he got so he did it himself in a 5 ton tractor-trailer combo with an ancient military trailer. He got into the outskirts of Austin on I-35 when he lost a bunch of fluid than a wheel and almost jackknifed the whole setup. It happened at 3AM so by the time texas DPS got involved and got a heavy wrecker out they managed to get things off the interstate before rush hour really hit.

I remember a post going out to facebook looking for someone to show up to help for free and I'm thinking , "yeah that's all you need some guy showing up in a 40-year-old tank recovery vehicle and having that break down in the middle of all that..."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

facialimpediment posted:

I didn't realize this until earlier today, but if you flip a Trump voter to Biden, it counts for double. You add a vote to your total and decrease from theirs! There aren't many of those "undecided" voters anymore, but they still exist and they're high-value. 2018 showed that there were plenty enough of them to flip the House and that was before the pandemic and mass uprising.

You're on the moon. Electoral strategy is about turnout: increasing it with people who are likely to vote for your person and decreasing it for everyone else. Some messages happen to do both, but they don't literally change people's minds.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Doc Hawkins posted:

You're on the moon. Electoral strategy is about turnout: increasing it with people who are likely to vote for your person and decreasing it for everyone else. Some messages happen to do both, but they don't literally change people's minds.

That's more or less the Trump campaign strategy, but there's a serious problem with it. If you try to decrease votes for the other side, there's the very real threat of blowback. A lot of the voter suppression poo poo they're trying to pull is just making people even more determined to vote, even people that might not have considered voting before. That's how you get BLM rallies in the middle of the deep south after gassing Lafayette Square.

And I thoroughly believe voters' minds can be changed - swing voters are very, very weird people.

Outside of election poo poo - if you're in the south, you should probably be getting hurricane shelter supplies right now, just in case.

https://twitter.com/DanielWDSU/status/1296647215323254784?s=19

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, statistically zero Trump voters are going to be convinced to vote for Biden. At best they will stay home. You've got to remember that to them, Biden is a hardcore radical communist who loves abortions and immigrants and hates guns and Jesus. As bad as Trump is, he's still better than Biden in their eyes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

facialimpediment posted:

That's more or less the Trump campaign strategy, but there's a serious problem with it. If you try to decrease votes for the other side, there's the very real threat of blowback. A lot of the voter suppression poo poo they're trying to pull is just making people even more determined to vote, even people that might not have considered voting before. That's how you get BLM rallies in the middle of the deep south after gassing Lafayette Square.

And I thoroughly believe voters' minds can be changed - swing voters are very, very weird people.

Outside of election poo poo - if you're in the south, you should probably be getting hurricane shelter supplies right now, just in case.

https://twitter.com/DanielWDSU/status/1296647215323254784?s=19

What the gently caress

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the gently caress

2 girls 1 cup 2020 edition

E: Kanye is off the ballot in WI. I guess he filed a filed a few seconds late?

And by he, I mean a Trump lawyer.

TCD fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 21, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hey maybe that is just God punishing them for voting Republican in 2016. Ya know, just like it's California's fault for not sweeping the forest floor! Or how it's okay to hold up funding for NJ, NY, and CT after Hurricane Sandy because gently caress them they're Dems!

Seriously though, anyone who politicizes natural or manmade disasters and their response and recovery efforts deserves to die and rot in hell for eternity.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Current event: Dallas Stars had a hell of a comeback.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I didn't give a gently caress about the DNC, because it's just a dog and pony show, but the fact they had Powell talk means they can gently caress forever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

facialimpediment posted:

Is it also how you have Trump after dismissing him and his supporters as obviously incompetent, racist, and generally deplorable? Do the people you disagree with also have sufficient agency to become more determined to vote in the face of people they hate denying them, or does all evidence you find just reinforce your existing positions?

I'll give you this, you're providing a good example of what I meant: a narrative of inevitable happy victory is one that brings people to the polls. The theory that complacency makes people not bother to vote is BS, Americans love a winner and enjoy joining bandwagons. Unless it's for someone they don't like, in which case they sulk and stay home.

But none of this marketing nonsense can compete with real-poo poo voter suppression. The democratic party cannot defend democracy.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kazinsal posted:

Imagine being in the US Postal Investigation Service and coming into work in the morning and being told you're going to go board a megayacht out at sea to arrest Steve loving Bannon.

My brother is a retired coastie and a postal inspector, he would probably not give a gently caress and blame the deepstate for this poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ded posted:

pook isn't wrong

Now for a feelgood :
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1296501045498183683?s=20

This is the yacht that bannon was arrested on

That yacht is loving sick and I would totally sell out to have it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

That yacht is loving sick and I would totally sell out to have it.

I hate you

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lmao

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
This thread is reading exactly like 2016 and its going to end with the same results

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Honestly feels like we're getting closer and closer to a live action Venture Bros, minus the occasional spandex and WALKING EYE.

Oh, we already do. Except surveillance capitalism has turned the eye in on itself. The Eye does not walk with you; you walk within the Eye.

built for a single purpose by the united states of shut your BLEEPdamned third eye for a BLEEPdamned reason

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bored As gently caress posted:

Seriously though, anyone who politicizes natural or manmade disasters and their response and recovery efforts deserves to die and rot in hell for eternity.

Man you remember in 2005 loving Kanye saying "George Bush doesn't care about black people"?

The look on Michael Meyers face was loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mike Myers' look of "I'm going to be okay, right"? will forever endear old kanye in my heart