Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ignatz is worth running because it means you get his wonderful supports with Flayn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ignatz is a good boy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TA Metis posted:

Ignatz is a good boy.

.... for me to poop on!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Leal posted:

.... for me to poop on!

heard you talking poo poo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TA Metis posted:

heard you talking poo poo

Let me paint you a picture! :black101:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I let Ignatz and Lorenz die in my maddening run and I don't regret it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

--If you see the term "This class can use some magic.", this means that the class can use magic, but at halved spell charges (i.e., Fire will have 5 uses, Thunder will have 4 uses, etc). These include: Noble/Commoner, Trickster, and War Monk/Cleric.
Dancer also says this but they get full magic anyway. And it totally feels like a class that should get halved casts too! Wonder if it's a change they implemented last minute or something and they forgot to change the byline.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I love Ignatz, you all are wrong about him, he's a good kid

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

He cuts his hair with a bowl.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Lorenz is ironically the one character who grew on me due to his supports with Marianne.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm going to try my first NG Maddening run soon and I was planning to attempt Golden Deer, as it was my first ever run so I played on pitifully easy Normal mode, plus I wasnt planning ahead so I never got Claude's Petra and Annette supports (thus I'd also try and poach them). Theres also his Balthus support that now exists.

Any general advice or tips? From my limited research I gather that the 100% hardest part is keeping Ignatz and Lorenz alive in the reunion map

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

for ch 12 specifically, if you don't want anyone to die then you should absolutely use your whole class so none of them are dead weight. idk if the spawn locations are predetermined for that map but it is REALLY hard to keep bad units alive in some spots

that map on maddening is the one time I've felt like the flying weakness was a real liability

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Possibly a good idea to ensure Hilda isn't on a wyvern before the chapter then? As she almost always is when I use her

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Or just dismount the fliers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's literally the only time you'll ever have use for the dismount ability for fliers. wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people forgot it was even in the game

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Sudden Javelin posted:

Any general advice or tips? From my limited research I gather that the 100% hardest part is keeping Ignatz and Lorenz alive in the reunion map

That's the easiest part of maddening. Just let them die and never look back.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Its entirely possible to not use the other core classmates and utilize positioning to keep them out of harms way on Hunting By Daybreak/Reunion at Dawn.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The best dancer in the game is pretty unquestionably Yuri. The Fetters are straight up broken on a dancer and grant Yuri Paves and Aegis as a dancer. On top of that dancer gels with his solo personal skill so he's basically just an immortal killing machine the moment he becomes one. Dodgetanking on Ferdinand is great and all but it doesn't really compare to having two of the best skills in the game on a character for free.

I ended up with Dorothea as a dancer every time though. My dancer play tended to be relatively passive, they'd dance every turn and not be put in danger, so massive auras to help my team ended up being far more useful than physical power.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Finished Azure Moon today, third route I've done. Just Silver Snow left which will be the first time I recruit literally everybody possible, both to spice up what I gather is a very boring route and also for support log purposes.

Heard a lot of horror stories about the final AM map but I found it vastly easier than the end of CF

This was my experience of AM maddening as well. I found VW maddening's ending far harder and more engaging. The Bolting mages in AM maddening kinda just fold super quick to either your own Boltings or Dimitri gimmicks.

Sudden Javelin posted:

I'm going to try my first NG Maddening run soon and I was planning to attempt Golden Deer, as it was my first ever run so I played on pitifully easy Normal mode, plus I wasnt planning ahead so I never got Claude's Petra and Annette supports (thus I'd also try and poach them). Theres also his Balthus support that now exists.

Dump all your dex improvements on Leonie, give her the cursed ashiya sword and turn her into a Goddess of Death.

For RaD, get both Lorenz and Ignatz into spellcasting classes just before the skip. Ignatz Faith C gives him physic which will be a lifesaver and Lorenz as a Dark Mage (you might as well have one) has enough defense to be able to deal with what comes their way.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
yuri doesn't need dancer to barely get hit. put a few speed and strength boosters on him (not many req'd) and it's better to dance him rather than the other way around. he is the lynchpin of my somewhat poorly planned out black eagles madness run at the moment.

Zane fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 22, 2020

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Natural 20 posted:

The best dancer in the game is pretty unquestionably Yuri. The Fetters are straight up broken on a dancer and grant Yuri Paves and Aegis as a dancer. On top of that dancer gels with his solo personal skill so he's basically just an immortal killing machine the moment he becomes one. Dodgetanking on Ferdinand is great and all but it doesn't really compare to having two of the best skills in the game on a character for free.

Pavise and Aegis are very good, but are less valuable than +15 avoid/hit. The former give a dex% chance to halve damage while the latter give an additional 15% chance to prevent damage entirely. It would take quite a high dex stat to beat that, and while Yuri has a good dex growth, by the time it would become good enough to beat the avoid skill the game would be over.

I agree that the fetters are broken on dancers, which is why I gave them to my dancer Ferdinand. I think that Yuri is probably the second best dancer.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Why are yall's dancers getting attacked so drat much?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Captain Cappy posted:

It’s unavoidable in some maps. Especially on maddening when reinforcements can move the same turn they enter.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Captain Cappy posted:

I mean, if they can dodge so well why not do the aggressive move that gets them attacked. The only real penalty is the enemy has a higher chance of surviving vs attacking someone else.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Captain Cappy posted:

I do it intentionally to pull enemies to me. I dance someone such that Ferdinand is in range of the enemies and then have the rest of the team destroy them on the next turn. His dodge is high enough that the only kind of enemy that can actually hit him reliably are spear users with swordbreaker. It also means I had more flexibility with positioning generally since I could have him go dance basically anywhere without worrying about his safety. I like to play aggressively.

Since dancers should be dancing on every player phase, its a build that adds some extra utility without sacrificing anything from their primary role. Why not have them accomplish something on enemy phase, too?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Genovera posted:

I do it intentionally to pull enemies to me. I dance someone such that Ferdinand is in range of the enemies and then have the rest of the team destroy them on the next turn. His dodge is high enough that the only kind of enemy that can actually hit him reliably are spear users with swordbreaker. It also means I had more flexibility with positioning generally since I could have him go dance basically anywhere without worrying about his safety. I like to play aggressively.

Since dancers should be dancing on every player phase, its a build that adds some extra utility without sacrificing anything from their primary role. Why not have them accomplish something on enemy phase, too?

Yeah so this is the broad school of thought for EP Dancers. If your dancer is dancing on PP then they can move into range of an enemy in EP and bait them to gain extra utility. I don't really rate it because I'd rather my tank units do the baiting and dancers already get way more XP than everything else.

Genovera posted:

Pavise and Aegis are very good, but are less valuable than +15 avoid/hit. The former give a dex% chance to halve damage while the latter give an additional 15% chance to prevent damage entirely. It would take quite a high dex stat to beat that, and while Yuri has a good dex growth, by the time it would become good enough to beat the avoid skill the game would be over.

I agree that the fetters are broken on dancers, which is why I gave them to my dancer Ferdinand. I think that Yuri is probably the second best dancer.

+15% avo isn't really an additional 15% chance to prevent a hit if your enemies are overcapped on hit, which they tend to be on maddening. And Yuri's just got a much better overall statline for tanking than Ferd because of his 65% speed growth and overall more balanced defense. I suppose we're both wrong in declaring one vastly superior to the other though.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Natural 20 posted:

+15% avo isn't really an additional 15% chance to prevent a hit if your enemies are overcapped on hit, which they tend to be on maddening.

I don't understand what you mean here by overcapped. The battle hit rate is just hit - avoid, so the only situation I can think of where 15 avoid wouldn't lower their battle hit rate by 15 is if they have so much more hit rate than you have avoid that the result after subtracting is still higher than 85%.

That didn't happen to my Ferdinand, though, because my goal was to stack as much avoid as possible. I just checked and in my GD NG+ maddening run, on the last map my Ferdinand had 117 avoid: 32 base, 10 evasion ring (this was before the Fetters were available), 15 confidence, 20 sword prowess lv5, 20 sword avo+20, 20 Aegir Astral Knights.

The enemy with the highest hit other than bosses on that map seems to be an assassin with 140 hit. So, they'd have a 23% chance to hit him.

My CF NG+ maddening Ferdinand had 103 avoid since he used the Fetters and was a little lower level. The enemy with the highest hit on that map is a sniper with 149 hit, so they'd have a 46% chance to hit him.

Most of the units have a lower hit than those, but what I mean is that I don't see a situation where confidence isn't giving you a 15% better chance to dodge (other than the axe guys who always have a 0% chance to hit him anyway).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If their chance to hit is 101 or higher 15 off isnt actually the whole 15% chance reduction

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

FoolyCharged posted:

If their chance to hit is 101 or higher 15 off isnt actually the whole 15% chance reduction

Sure, but looking at Ferdinand's and the enemy units' numbers in the last maps of my maddening ng+ runs, that doesn't even come close to happening. There are so many other boosts to avoid that this isn't a reasonable concern.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just finished my Crimson Flower play through. This may have been my favorite in terms of the overall story, because Rhea has creeped me out since I first played the game in a Verdant Wind playthrough, and then again in my Azure Moon playthrough. I'm going to try Silver Snow now, so I'll see if that route gives new insights and makes me change my mind about her though.

Caspar and Lindhart got paired up at the end of the game for me, and their story sounds like some sort of road-trip, buddy-movie comedy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
“buddies”

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I started with Verdant Wind, and am starting into part 2 of Crimson Flower now. Gonna go Azure Moon next then Silver Snow last.

I uhh, kinda feel sorry for Pallardo in the Crimson Flower version of Anna's paralogue...

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm in my fourth playthrough, and one mechanic I still haven't figured out is the yields in the greenhouse. What controls whether you get one two or three points? Sometimes cultivating increases the points, but sometimes even the most expensive option results in no change.

I'm doing this playthrough in Japanese since I've seen the game three times already. It's interesting how some of the lines are slightly different than they were in English. Almyra is "Parumira" in Japanese. I'm not sure why the translator decided to forgo the "P" in the translation. Maybe because it's named after a real place and they didn't want to offend anyone?

Also, Bernadetta's Japanese voice is ridiculously high-pitched and squeaky.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Inu posted:

I'm in my fourth playthrough, and one mechanic I still haven't figured out is the yields in the greenhouse. What controls whether you get one two or three points? Sometimes cultivating increases the points, but sometimes even the most expensive option results in no change.

I'm doing this playthrough in Japanese since I've seen the game three times already. It's interesting how some of the lines are slightly different than they were in English. Almyra is "Parumira" in Japanese. I'm not sure why the translator decided to forgo the "P" in the translation. Maybe because it's named after a real place and they didn't want to offend anyone?

Also, Bernadetta's Japanese voice is ridiculously high-pitched and squeaky.

The greenhouse is weird as gently caress, one thing I did read/figure out is don't mix flowers with other seeds you'll only get flowers. My only goal with the greenhouse was to get enough food to do all the meals I wanted and found that I was better off choosing multiples of the same type of seed instead of mixing and matching.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

here's a full an exhaustive explanation of how exactly the greenhouse works: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/monastery/greenhouse/

you, uh, don't actually want to get into it. someone went way too hard on the mechanics of this minor element and they're basically inscrutable.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
this reddit chart, combined with the above serenesforest graph on the relevant plants for stat boosters, is more helpful, at least for my purposes: https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemThreeHouses/comments/dlmuoq/yield_3_gardening_combinations_guide/

3-1 is inferior but cheaper. it can regularly yield stat boosters (which i typically use it for); but not much else.

3-2 is superior. it can regularly yield both stat boosters and rare cooking ingredients for a weekly stat boost.

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 26, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The main take-away is that the yields you get are based off one of the seeds you plant, selected at random. You should basically never plant mixed seeds unless suggested by a yield calculation like the one in the above post. The other is that while the calculation for projected yields is so byzantine it may as well be random, the actual result is consistent, such that it is always better to plant, say, four Eastern Fódlan Seeds, rather than five.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 26, 2020

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The gardening option gives you more stuff and also makes your harvest a bit better, the number of seeds mainly determines your harvest level. Because that makes complete sense. In practice, four of the same type seeds seems to almost always be a good option, so I just plant that and use the most expensive gardening option available.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Been playing Path of Radiance.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Thanks for the replies about gardening. That's...way more complicated than it seems like it should be.

I just got to the point in my second Black Eagles playthrough where I refused Edelgard. After having just played through her story, it made me feel really bad. Rhea better not let me down!

Is it possible to recruit Hilda on a Black Eagles playthrough? I just noticed from my last two playthroughs that I've picked up lost items that I remember belong to her. I haven't had the option to recruit her though. I know that I've never picked up lost items for house leaders from the other houses in any of my playthroughs, nor anything for Dedue outside of Blue Lions and Hubert outside of Black Eagles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

You can only recruit her after you reject Edelgard.