Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

ugh, well my test run on the first pizza was a complete failure to launch, stuck on the new wood pizza peel (which I have used a few times with better success using kenjis ny pizza dough)

this is kinda a soft grain wood, it feels so dry. should I give it a few applications of mineral oil to help seal the surface a bit?

There’s a lot of things that could be causing you trouble. Neapolitan is way different from a NY style.

Give this video a watch. He does all the right stuff.

https://youtu.be/LD7Qusvea_Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chia
Dec 23, 2005
Picked some chanterelles and these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craterellus_tubaeformis.

Made pizza with mushrooms and quick pickled shallots:

Was insanely good. Need to add more mushrooms next time, though.

chia fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 17, 2020

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

chia posted:

Picked some chanterelles and these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craterellus_tubaeformis.

Made pizza with mushrooms and quick pickled shallots:

Was insanely good. Need to add more mushrooms next time, though.

Ooooh I love chanterelles, that looks bomb! Always more mushroom than you think. Meaty funky goodness.

Here's a margherita from a few nights ago

And this was from last night, something we are working on called The Meat Sweats. Coppa, pepperoni, woodfired jalapenos, chili flake, mozz, ricotta dollops

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The last several pies have looked amazing (honestly there is rarely a bad looking pie in this thread). I need a pizza injection but it has been 100ºF+ for days here in Socal.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

ogopogo posted:

Ooooh I love chanterelles, that looks bomb! Always more mushroom than you think. Meaty funky goodness.

Here's a margherita from a few nights ago

And this was from last night, something we are working on called The Meat Sweats. Coppa, pepperoni, woodfired jalapenos, chili flake, mozz, ricotta dollops

the Meat Sweats is awesome. Maybe add a little hot honey on top to finish?

I've got my parents coming by for lunch in my backyard tomorrow, so I just made another batch of Neapolitan dough. As convenient as a no-knead dough can be, there's something just so satisfying about beating the hell out of a dough ball

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Veritek83 posted:

the Meat Sweats is awesome. Maybe add a little hot honey on top to finish?

I've got my parents coming by for lunch in my backyard tomorrow, so I just made another batch of Neapolitan dough. As convenient as a no-knead dough can be, there's something just so satisfying about beating the hell out of a dough ball

You actually called it! We had some Mike's Hot inside but forgot to drizzle it before we snapped the pic and devoured the pizza.

I've found a lot of zen in dough prep, once you get it dialed in it becomes very peaceful to make.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ah good. Ok that’s not bad.

Because read cast iron pan weirdos and you’re breaking out the sanding wheel for pre seasoning polishing etc.

Hey I got the tools so I am gonna use them. Not gonna spend 50 years getting rid of that knobbly surface the long way round, really improved my pan too and I used it for years beforehand so I had a benchmark. But I was aiming to get a pan that made teflon obsolete, for making pizza, meh it'll work as is.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Fuckin' around with that cast iron game. Turned out really good, nice thick cheese crust all the way around. The rise fell flat in the middle - I wasn't planning on trying the pan tonight but we went for it so we scooped a ball from the tray into the cast iron. Tomorrow I'm gonna just ball out the dough into it and let it rise in the pan.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wow, the cheese melt in the sides of that crust looks absolutely flawless. What kind of recipe/time/temp/etc did you use for that one?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah gimme the recipie for that.

I’m cooking a pizza right now and want yours instead.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks guys - Getting better at it, made another one last night!
I'm going off of my general summer neo-neapolitan style sourdough dough recipe -
100% 00 flour
64% H20
2.5% Salt
18% mature sourdough leavain
.8% Olive oil

This is a recipe that takes only 10 hours from start to finish, minus the feeding for your sourdough. I also have a 12 hour cold bulk/12 hour room temp balled proof recipe that we're going to try next once it cools down just a hair.

Anyways, after the bulk ferment I balled out a 550g dough ball into an oiled 12" cast iron and let that rise for ~6 hours. Then we dimpled it down and spread it out to fill the pan, with a liberal application of olive oil on the sides. Let the rest for maybe an hour to 90 minutes, then parbake @ 500F till just before getting color. Pulled the cast iron out of the oven and began to fill the edges with shredded mozz, then worked towards the middle to make everything even and cheesy. A couple simple stripes of NY sauce to top, and then we threw it into the wood fired oven that was around 750F. That extra heat baked up the cheese really nice, and makes for a fast cook. Finished with basil, parm, ricotta dollops, cracked black pepper.

The only thing that went wrong was that I hosed up in the dough mix by using an over mature sourdough feed. With the sourdough levain past its prime, my final dough never had a chance to fully proof to its full potential, which leads to a final bake that still rises fine, but lacks the completeness and structure of a properly made dough. This was frustrating for me because I haven't done this in almost a year, and as soon as I caught it I knew that my final dough balls wouldn't be like what I had on Friday. I've worked with my sourdough for most of my life, and there are still days that the wildness catches you off guard.
The crust itself was good, still very light and airy but again, with a better made dough the spring would be more. As with all things cooking pizza, we'll just have to try again...

chia
Dec 23, 2005
Holy poo poo that crust looks amazing

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

ogopogo posted:

I'm going off of my general summer neo-neapolitan style sourdough dough recipe -
100% 00 flour
64% H20
2.5% Salt
.8% Olive oil

More praise your way for your awesome pizzas and for sharing your recipes with us! Do you kind commenting on the olive oil?

Also, let’s talk sourdough. I have an Ischia starter than I feed every 7-10 days with APF and always keep in the fridge. What’s the best way to use this in the dough (timing, temp to mature after feeding, etc) in your opinion?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ogopogo posted:

100% 00 flour
64% H20
2.5% Salt
.8% Olive oil

This is a recipe that takes only 10 hours from start to finish, minus the feeding for your sourdough. I also have a 12 hour cold bulk/12 hour room temp balled proof recipe that we're going to try next once it cools down just a hair.

Anyways, after the bulk ferment I balled out a 550g dough ball into an oiled 12" cast iron and let that rise for ~6 hours. Then we dimpled it down and spread it out to fill the pan, with a liberal application of olive oil on the sides. Let the rest for maybe an hour to 90 minutes, then parbake @ 500F till just before getting color. Pulled the cast iron out of the oven and began to fill the edges with shredded mozz, then worked towards the middle to make everything even and cheesy. A couple simple stripes of NY sauce to top, and then we threw it into the wood fired oven that was around 750F. That extra heat baked up the cheese really nice, and makes for a fast cook. Finished with basil, parm, ricotta dollops, cracked black pepper.

The only thing that went wrong was that I hosed up in the dough mix by using an over mature sourdough feed. With the sourdough levain past its prime, my final dough never had a chance to fully proof to its full potential, which leads to a final bake that still rises fine, but lacks the completeness and structure of a properly made dough. This was frustrating for me because I haven't done this in almost a year, and as soon as I caught it I knew that my final dough balls wouldn't be like what I had on Friday. I've worked with my sourdough for most of my life, and there are still days that the wildness catches you off guard.
The crust itself was good, still very light and airy but again, with a better made dough the spring would be more. As with all things cooking pizza, we'll just have to try again...

Nice try but you forgot to hide the delivery boxes. No pizza at home can look this good.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Nice try but you forgot to hide the delivery boxes. No pizza at home can look this good.

Rats, I knew I was forgetting something!
Nah but really I actually have been growing a very small wood fired pizza business out of my house :) We are getting close on tying things up for a truck and a commissary space!

mls posted:

More praise your way for your awesome pizzas and for sharing your recipes with us! Do you kind commenting on the olive oil?

Also, lets talk sourdough. I have an Ischia starter than I feed every 7-10 days with APF and always keep in the fridge. What’s the best way to use this in the dough (timing, temp to mature after feeding, etc) in your opinion?

Sharing is caring, pizza is love! The olive oil is a relatively new addition to the dough itself. I used to use just a few grams on the edge of my mixing bowl in the last minute of mixing the dough to help with bringing it out of the bowl. This is huge when you're mixing 12-14kg at a time (I'm pushing my 20qt mixer to it's limit, it's a champ). I started taking a more measured approach to adding the olive oil so that my hydration and mix weren't changing in the last minute when I was casually adding in a new liquid that I hadn't really factored in. It's a small amount, but it's been helpful!
As far as the cast iron olive oil is concerned, it was a good oiling of the dough itself and around the edges. Then we stuffed the cheese down there and packed it in the created that crust edge.

For your sourdough I recommend at least starting to feed it once a day if you want to use it in more baking! In reading, it looks like it's an old sourdough from Italy, so it's probably just fine after a few feedings at room temp.
Feeding and use is timing and temp through and through. Room temp around here is 74-78F. I do a 1:2:2 sourdough/water/flour ratio for my feeds. Minimum I like to do is 50g/100g/100g - I do this just for the daily feeds if there's nothing to bake or make. I'm open two days a week now so I'm feeding twice a day, and scaling up that feed for whatever final dough mix I've got going.
Water temp for the feeding is important I've found, in that 72-78F zone is good, maybe a touch cooler if it's a super warm day. With my sourdough right now this time of year I can reach a super good maturity level in about 6 hours. Once it's matured I'll either use it right away or hold it in the fridge till I need it a couple hours later. Careful - this is where I bit myself. I let it sit too long, thinking I still had strong starter to work with.

From there, you can use your mature sourdough levain for whatever you're baking. I mix my sourdough thoroughly in the water so that's dissolved and bubbly, versus chunky and stringy. Hope this helps!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I do a really simple dough, ~1/5 fresh ground wheat, ~4/5 whole wheat, salt and oil. You have to roll it, but it's great at getting a crisp, almost cracker like crust that I really like. Use a stone. Browns really well and keeps its structure well for both a tomato and oil based sauce.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I need to try neopolitan again on my black stone.

Anyone got a good recipe using a bag (1 kg) of Caputo flour? Cold ferment of a day or two would be preferred. I have a sourdough starter but I don’t need to use it.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Did pizza today, no knead dough on a cast iron pizza pan. I was tossing what I had so it was a pepperoni, meatball, and jalapeño pizza. The pizzas turned out great, though one slightly caught fire while I was finishing it in the broiler.

Luckily the char was superficial, so it was still a good pizza.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

nwin posted:

I need to try neopolitan again on my black stone.

Anyone got a good recipe using a bag (1 kg) of Caputo flour? Cold ferment of a day or two would be preferred. I have a sourdough starter but I don’t need to use it.

Doom Rooster posted:

Those are looking really good.

Yeah, a Roccbox will get hot enough that you’ll do well with a Neapolitan.

My standard is:

1000g Antimo Caputo 00 flour (red or blue bag both good)
650g water/ice, split
25g salt
5g active dry yeast

Mix 100g warm water with the yeast and let sit for 15minutes. Flour and salt into the bowl of the mixer. Make the remaining 550g water out of filtered water and 2-3 ice cubes, stir until the ice is completely melted.

Add yeast slurry and water to mixer. (Optional: Autolyze. mix for 1 minute, then let rest for 1 hour before kneading further. I live in a hotass place, so I do this in the fridge.)

Knead until you get a good window pane. Mine usually takes about 8 minutes in a Bosch Universal mixer.

Form into balls. I do 6 x 280g balls.

Either let rise covered in the fridge for 24-48 hours, taking out about an hour before use, or let rise at room temp until doubled, about an hour and a half for me.

Notes:

The ice water is to get dough starting temp down. Temp will rise while mixing, and you don’t want to go over 85f. Starting colder buys you more mixing time if you need it.

Your main concerns are your house's temp and humidity. If you live in a super dry place, you may want to up the hydration by 1-3%. If you keep your house cold, rising time will be longer. Etc...

this worked awesomely for me

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
Been making more pizza lately; tried a multigrain bread flour but it was way wetter even than using AP flour; I assume multigrain 'bits' basically dont absorb moisture the same way? Anyone have any tips on how to nail that down adjustment? I make 4 dough balls at a time that take a week to get through, so experimenting is a slow process.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it probably depends on what the other grains in the multi grain are, as I imagine different grains can absorb water at different rates. i notice when adding whole wheat flour for instance it needs more water but I bet some grains are just less spongey than wheat.

you could make smaller test batches to figure it out, just make a single dough ball at a time. Or mix up all your dry ingredients at once, divide it into equal portions and then add different amounts of water to each one and write down the %. Then when you bake them just rank how much you like each dough until you found the water amount you like best.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

PokeJoe posted:

Or mix up all your dry ingredients at once, divide it into equal portions and then add different amounts of water to each one and write down the %. Then when you bake them just rank how much you like each dough until you found the water amount you like best.

Okay that makes sense, Ill try it like that thanks!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Side note: that thing about Caputo "red or blue bag" made me look stuff up. I have only ever seen red bags and that is what I normally use. So I have been going in on the gluten for a good two years now. It might explain some of the handling.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Another weekend of pizza making done, sent out 80 pies over two days! Here are a few that we sold, and a few we kept for ourselves..

The cast iron R&D continues. Still working out a proper proof in the pan, but it's getting there.

We put up our Elote pizza again and it went like gangbusters!

Couldn't help but offer Flamin' Hot Cheetos as a topping...

And finally, a simple tomato, garlic, and burrata pie. Simplicity at its best!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ogopogo posted:

Another weekend of pizza making done, sent out 80 pies over two days! Here are a few that we sold, and a few we kept for ourselves..

The cast iron R&D continues. Still working out a proper proof in the pan, but it's getting there.

:chanpop:
they look incredible!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You proof in the pan?

Dammit now I need to try that. That's a good idea.

chia
Dec 23, 2005

ogopogo posted:

I'm gonna do cast iron pizza next time. That looks so good.

Cheese pizza with blue cheese, buffalo mozzarella and pecorino romano:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

chia posted:

I'm gonna do cast iron pizza next time. That looks so good.

Cheese pizza with blue cheese, buffalo mozzarella and pecorino romano:

It appears you need to work on the single most crucial pizza making skill. Turning the best looking side to the camera and pretending the whole pie looks exactly like it. That right side leoparding... perfection.

Looks absolutely great.

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

It appears you need to work on the single most crucial pizza making skill. Turning the best looking side to the camera and pretending the whole pie looks exactly like it. That right side leoparding... perfection.

Looks absolutely great.

Ha, thank you! I went a bit overboard with the blue cheese but still a good pizza.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
The Last Action Gyro pan pizza...
Garlic oil/mozz/parm/gyro meat/feta/red onion base to fire, then finished with tzatziki, dill, parsley, feta, red onion, and a harissa hot sauce that some friends have created and are selling now.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 12, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Incredible!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Some same-day dough pies from the Ooni:

Pep, serranos and honey

Margherita

daughters pepperoni

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

large hands posted:

Some same-day dough pies from the Ooni:

Pep, serranos and honey

Margherita

daughters pepperoni

These all look delicious but I’m absolutely loving the pepperoni manta ray curls, like they’re flying off the pie!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

ogopogo posted:

The Last Action Gyro pan pizza...
Garlic oil/mozz/parm/gyro meat/feta/red onion base to fire, then finished with tzatziki, dill, parsley, feta, red onion, and a harissa hot sauce that some friends have created and are selling now.

Just beautiful.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My brain says that's too many toppings but my heart says please kill me with this.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ogopogo posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

My grocery store had small wood-fired Ooni’s for $250 this past weekend. If they’re still there this coming weekend I think I’ll have to take the plunge.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Wow, looking at your guy's Pizzas I think I need to step up my Pizza game.
Seriously I was in (northern) Italy last week and I only found one Pizzeria which sold proper Neapolitanian style Pizza and could compete with the looks of your Pizzas. I'm impressed!

Here is a Margherita I made a few weeks ago.

San Marzano Tomatoes
Mozzarella di Bufala
Basil
Garlic
EVO

This is two days ago.

San Marzano Tomatoes
Fior di Latte (cheap one unfortunately)
Milanese Beef Salame
Pickeled Artichokes
Basil
Garlic
EVO

My dough recipe is:
100% flour (Caputo Tipo 00, 125g per Pizza currently)
64% Water (I used to do 70% but switched to 64% lately since 70% dough is a pain in the rear end to handle)
3% Salt
0.4-0.8% Fresh Yeast
24h - 48h refrigerated

I own a Pizza steel and let it preheat to 250°C for 45 minutes. I bake the Pizza 5-6 minutes and then 1-1.5 minutes using the broiler function.

Any tips or recommendations? I know my Pizza could use a bit more browning, I guess I need to give a bit more time with the broiler function...

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
In a home oven you might have to just put a little sugar in to help it brown even though it's not as ~pure~

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Stefan Prodan posted:

In a home oven you might have to just put a little sugar in to help it brown even though it's not as ~pure~

Not a bad idea, I will try it if the broiler functions burns the pizza too much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I finally got ahold of some whole wheat flour and holy poo poo adding just a little bit (I'm too lazy too look at my recipe but something like 35g whole wheat, 350g strong AP) really loving improved things.

I neglected to take a picture but it was beautiful and delicious.