Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The Department of Justice has been alerted after leaflets spreading conspiracy theories about Covid-19 were handed out at a temporary direct ­provision centre in Wicklow.

Oh wow that's weird well I'm sure nothing wil-

A new cluster of Covid-19 has been identified in a direct provision centre in Co Wicklow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0820/1160399-dara-calleary/

lol, Calleary is hosed

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

lol. This government seem particularly bad at grasping the whole concept of optics.

"A spokesperson for EU Trade Commissioner, Fine Gael's Phil Hogan, has confirmed he also attended last night's event in Galway. The spokesperson provided no further comment in relation to the event or details of Mr Hogan's return to Ireland from his role in Belgium."

I also wonder what the odds are on Big Phil not quarantining before attending. Is it any wonder people are starting to lose faith in the lockdown measures...

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Losing faith in lockdown measures? There's one rule for us and another rule for them and that's the same as its always been.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

and he's gone, lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shortest ministerial tenure ever?

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

I think he was there longer than Cowan but not by much

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
And another one bites the dust. All bodies thrown on the gears to protect Big Phil I suppose

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So the way it is going and with all the fuss when the Government was formed back in the end of June, I'd say that some TD from West of the Shannon is sitting in a room with pictures of all the Ministers and has started drawing red symbols through them one by one.

Which TD has the best serial killer vibes for this?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The Question IRL posted:

So the way it is going and with all the fuss when the Government was formed back in the end of June, I'd say that some TD from West of the Shannon is sitting in a room with pictures of all the Ministers and has started drawing red symbols through them one by one.

Which TD has the best serial killer vibes for this?

Honestly? Leo wouldn't shock me.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Leo would be more likely to be killing drug addicts and prostitutes instead of good upstanding folks like T.D.s

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Leo would be more likely to be killing drug addicts and prostitutes instead of good upstanding folks like T.D.s

Leo would have been at the golf event but he had to return some videotapes

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Leo would have been at the golf event but he had to return some videotapes

Yes. His VHS copies of Mean Girls, Terminator 2 and the Lord of the Rings films.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Yes. His VHS copies of Mean Girls, Terminator 2 and the Lord of the Rings films.

They're all good choices, but you'd need those long play VHS for the LoTR and the quality might suffer

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

They're all good choices, but you'd need those long play VHS for the LoTR and the quality might suffer

It wouldn't surprise me if Leo bought the HD VCR's that came out back in the day.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Is there anyway to recall the dail if the taoiseach refuses?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marenghi posted:

Is there anyway to recall the dail if the taoiseach refuses?

Apparently just offer them a free dinner

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

So Hogans gone. I wonder if the judge will last?

If anyone who went to the golf event ends up testing positive this is going to get even more hillarious.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I wonder how much it would cost to hire someone dressed up in medieval attire with a horn to follow Hogan around for a day. When Hogan enters a building or something I would want the Announcer to go : "Now arriving, this Dumb gently caress!" and play his horn for a bit.

Hourly or per performance rates?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lmao people are actually really angry about this golf poo poo. It's typical of the electorate to take issue with people having a good time as opposed to; all the awful things the people having a good time have done over the years.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's the fact that they're doing it while everyone else has been more or less handling this responsibly AND being told that we're not by those same fucks who wrote the rules and then broke them.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Oh I appreciate the emotional response to it. The gall of them. But it's a minor if flagrant and inciting crime.

Glad to see them resigning over it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I think the perfect example of this is Enda Kenny.
He went to the golf tournament, played in it.

Then when he saw what the conditions of the dinner was like he just left.

And I think that's the crux of all this. More so then technicalities of if the event should have been held and all of Phil Hogan's "I thought it was fine for this reason...blah blah blah."

Enda used some basic cop on. He saw a group dinner for 80+ people and realized that you can't go to something like this when there is a pandemic on.
Meanwhile most of the others didn't stop and think or just went to it because they really wanted to sit and talk with all their golf buddies while eating food since the last few months were so hard.

And it's that small thing (applying common sense and going along with an inconvenient rule because it's in the interest of society as a whole) as opposed to acting selfishly that makes the difference.

As for Woulfe, I think the investigation by Suzie Dee, gives him some breathing room. If they stretch it out a few weeks and people calm down, he might be able to keep his position.
If the anger doesn't abide, they might have to recommend that he leave.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's a choice I've had to make myself as the restrictions have eased off so I was fairly pissed that the leadership of the country couldn't lead by example

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's really depressing that we're at the "at least Enda Kenny has some basic cop on" stage of this pandemic.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Compared to most government actions which are legislatively bad it's easy for everyone to understand unlike economic policy or whatever. Or even stuff like mental health cuts are terrible but the people really paying attention who'll feel that are a much smaller subset of people. Whereas the lads having a big piss up is something that everyone understands and is mad at across all levels and it's super easy to instantly understand why it's so maddening. So it's not just "lol electorate dumb" imo

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
I see my fave person Gemma O'Doherty was arrested.

god she's the loving worst. I'd happily ignore her if I didn't know her kind of bullshit is very contagious. would she please just go away

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I had only heard that a woman was arrested in Kilmac over banners and here I am learning this morning it was Gemma. Not really sure why she picked a pedestrian bridge over a tiny village, maybe she figured the Gards wouldn't come out to here there??

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Shoehead posted:

I had only heard that a woman was arrested in Kilmac over banners and here I am learning this morning it was Gemma. Not really sure why she picked a pedestrian bridge over a tiny village, maybe she figured the Gards wouldn't come out to here there??

I have driven through their a lot when driving the Motorway through Wexford.
Basically where that Bridge is, the speed goes down from 120/100 to 50 at that point. And very often the guards have speed cameras setup there and it's known for it.
So people do slow down there on that drive, so drivers would be able to read the banner.
It makes sense why it was chosen.

I saw the video from Gemma's livestream of the arrest (along with an additional angle by someone called Dee who Gemma was calling to for help while she ran away. They could be found by searching Twitter for Gemma O'Doherty)

I well understand why the guard arrested her, but from a legal perspective I think G would have a good defence to a charge of refusing to give her name and address.
However that is predicated on her hiring a s.

On the one hand her broken brain has convinced her that she knows the law better than people trained in it. Hence why she and Waters didn't get Counsel in for their High Court challenge to the Covid Legislation.

On the flip side she's almost certainly a coward like all fascists are. So when there is a chance of having to deal with real consequences/punishment from her actions she will take some of her grift money and use it to hire an actual solicitor.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

On the one hand her broken brain has convinced her that she knows the law better than people trained in it. Hence why she and Waters didn't get Counsel in for their High Court challenge to the Covid Legislation.

I always assumed that they didn't have representation because they knew the case had zero chance of winning and that they would get landed with the fees.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

cormac posted:

I always assumed that they didn't have representation because they knew the case had zero chance of winning and that they would get landed with the fees.

They ended up with the court's bill for wasting their time anyway.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Yeah, but thats still less than what they would have had to pay if they had representation

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lol she's on video saying she doesn't know if she'll even remain in the country long enough to go to her court date. Kind of thick to announce you're a flight risk even if it's only while trying to gain sympathy

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

cormac posted:

I don’t think I buy this.

Like I could understand that they didn’t have representation because every sol they went to refused to go along with their crazy arguments and tried to get them to argue something reasonable, which they refused. (I have seen this before.)
And I could understand if they refused to get lawyers involved because they are convinced that all lawyers are just corrupt and in league with the Judiciary and by association are in league with the state. ( I have also seen this too.)

But to refuse representation because it would cost money? Like either you believe your case will win (in which case you get your lawyers fees covered by the State in all but a very small number of situations.) or you know that your case will lose (and you think you are going to save money.)
But if you are thinking in those practical terms, you just shouldn’t launch a case you know is going to lose, that way you don’t have to pay the other sides fees. It's like the dumbest thing she could do....

Shoehead posted:

Lol she's on video saying she doesn't know if she'll even remain in the country long enough to go to her court date. Kind of thick to announce you're a flight risk even if it's only while trying to gain sympathy

...This being the second dumbest thing.
Because now she has given the Guards an excuse to bring her to court to revoke her bail since she has publically expressed an intention to flee the jurisdiction and not show up to court.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 29, 2020

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

I don’t think I buy this.
But to refuse representation because it would cost money? Like either you believe your case will win (in which case you get your lawyers fees covered by the State in all but a very small number of situations.) or you know that your case will lose (and you think you are going to save money.)
But if you are thinking in those practical terms, you just shouldn’t launch a case you know is going to lose, that way you don’t have to pay the other sides fees. It's like the dumbest thing she could do....

Yeah, but your assuming that the point of the court case is to win rather than attract patreon or gofundme donations. The grift is what they care about, not the legal case.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

I well understand why the guard arrested her, but from a legal perspective I think G would have a good defence to a charge of refusing to give her name and address.
However that is predicated on her hiring a s.
What defence would that be?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

What defence would that be?

I'm not giving away specific legal advice for free on a dead comedy forums.
Like this would literally be what I'm paid to do.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
drat guys we almost had them

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

I'm not giving away specific legal advice for free on a dead comedy forums.
Like this would literally be what I'm paid to do.
You are a bad goon. I do that all the time.