Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I'm about to graduate college and I have some free time in the evenings and weekends now. I'm looking for a single player focused adventure/story/~experience~ PC game. Last SP game I played to completion was RDR2 on PC and wow, it's hard to top that. It doesn't help that I loved RDR1 but together I think they're the greatest game of all time for me. Before that I put about 100 hours into Fallout 4 and I enjoyed it well enough even though the Bethesda-ness of the whole franchise is really grating now, overall I'd say I got my moneys worth but the game sucked.

I tried Divinity: Original Sin 2 a few weeks back and though I felt it was a good game I just couldn't get into it. I enjoyed the combat and played plenty of NWN/Baldurs Gate/Planescape back in the day, so I like the genre, it just didn't click. I also played halfway through Witcher 1 and maybe 10 hours into Witcher 2, with the same experience, that I felt it was a good game that had aspects I enjoyed, but I just didn't care to go back to it.

The game doesn't need to be an RPG, it can be a shooter or whatever, I'm just looking for an immersive story experience. Any ideas?
Subnautica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What are the best single-player collectible card games out there today? Not run-based deck-builders like Slay the Spire or Monster Train (although those are really good).

I'm thinking more like the old Magic 2012/2015 games where you actually build decks over time to keep and use in different situations.

I emphasize single player because I'm not super interested in getting my rear end stomped nine times out of ten by children with dad's credit card number.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Manager Hoyden posted:

What are the best single-player collectible card games out there today? Not run-based deck-builders like Slay the Spire or Monster Train (although those are really good).

I'm thinking more like the old Magic 2012/2015 games where you actually build decks over time to keep and use in different situations.

I emphasize single player because I'm not super interested in getting my rear end stomped nine times out of ten by children with dad's credit card number.

I remember Card City Nights being kind of fun (and sometimes annoyingly rng dependent)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/271820/Card_City_Nights/

There's a sequel, but I haven't played it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/241300/Card_City_Nights_2/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

nachos posted:

Hard to top the rec for death stranding, that fits your needs to a T

e: disregard the rec, missed the PC requirement

Death Stranding is, uh, on PC

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for some sort of modern point and click adventure game for PC on Steam, Humble or GOG. I guess I'd get Epic if I had to.

For background, I bought Kathy Rain a few days ago without knowing anything about it. It was pretty decent, especially for three bux. The puzzles were almost always reasonable, and it was well produced for an indie title. I also recently played Thimbleweed Park, which was quite a bit more moon-logic based, but the comedy buoyed it a bit. This search for these games essentially started in the before times when I played the first three Phoenix Wright games together with my girlfriend, and those games were great. The issue is that: 1: no other PW games are on Steam, and 2 when I try to look for 'point and click' on Steam, I get huge swathes of stuff that doesn't match the mold I'm looking for, like those iPad hidden object games for babby.

I'm looking for something that has the 'shape' of Monkey Island 1-4 / Teen Agent / Gabriel Knight 3 / Ripley's Believe It or Not: The Riddle of Master Lu, etc. Go around, talk to people, rub items on them in logical ways, etc. The theme and setting (sci-fi, fantasy, modern, comedy, drama) don't really matter unless the game is extremely heavy or incredibly graphically violent, in which case I am less interested. (Like, I think I heard The Cat Lady was good but I am looking for something lighter than vantablack.) By 'modern' I just mean 'released some point after The Daedalus Encounter' so even if it's 5-10 years old, I probably have never heard of it so lay it on me.

Late on this but check out Gibbous if you're into lovecraft stuff and jokes.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Death Stranding is, uh, on PC

Yeah I had mistakenly recommended tlou

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I'm about to graduate college and I have some free time in the evenings and weekends now. I'm looking for a single player focused adventure/story/~experience~ PC game. Last SP game I played to completion was RDR2 on PC and wow, it's hard to top that. It doesn't help that I loved RDR1 but together I think they're the greatest game of all time for me. Before that I put about 100 hours into Fallout 4 and I enjoyed it well enough even though the Bethesda-ness of the whole franchise is really grating now, overall I'd say I got my moneys worth but the game sucked.

I tried Divinity: Original Sin 2 a few weeks back and though I felt it was a good game I just couldn't get into it. I enjoyed the combat and played plenty of NWN/Baldurs Gate/Planescape back in the day, so I like the genre, it just didn't click. I also played halfway through Witcher 1 and maybe 10 hours into Witcher 2, with the same experience, that I felt it was a good game that had aspects I enjoyed, but I just didn't care to go back to it.

The game doesn't need to be an RPG, it can be a shooter or whatever, I'm just looking for an immersive story experience. Any ideas?

Subnautica is a great rec and a very good game.

Disco Elysium is absolutely immersing and beautiful, to the point where after beating it once, I will never play it again solely to avoid tarnishing the experience I had with it.

Witcher 3 is great, one of my top 5 games of all time, and much different than 1 and 2.

Doom 2016 is a hell of a ride, just wear headphones and get a LITTLE high when you play it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

I remember Card City Nights being kind of fun (and sometimes annoyingly rng dependent)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/271820/Card_City_Nights/

There's a sequel, but I haven't played it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/241300/Card_City_Nights_2/

Card City Nights 2 is also good. They made the card game much more of an actual game that the AI is competent at playing. Personally I'd say that the first game's music is mostly better, but the second game is superior in every other way, and it's not like the second game's music isn't also good. Just not as good.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I would like to sail the high seas and engage in some PIRACY! I can't think of a single game that came out in the genre of being a pirate in many years which has been any good. I've played Black Flag, that is not really a "pirate game" anyway and that is the last one I can think of. Something like Sid Meirs Pirates, but not that. Older games are fine. Key elements must include sailing a ship and taking things that belong to other people without their permission.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I haven't played it but Horizon's Gate seems well liked

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Diogines posted:

I would like to sail the high seas and engage in some PIRACY! I can't think of a single game that came out in the genre of being a pirate in many years which has been any good. I've played Black Flag, that is not really a "pirate game" anyway and that is the last one I can think of. Something like Sid Meirs Pirates, but not that. Older games are fine. Key elements must include sailing a ship and taking things that belong to other people without their permission.

Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons for the SNES

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, Death Stranding looks awesome but I think I'll wait a bit before I have a more capable computer for that one. I picked up Disco Elysium, I kinda had in my mind too that I wanted something a little less "heroic" but couldn't think of how to articulate it. Installing now :D

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Okay here's a thought.

What RPGs can you guys think of in the past decade or so that have a purely optional Main Quest, to the extent that NO PROGRESSION WHATSOEVER is gated behind it? I usually play Bethesda RPGs but even those put certain things gated behind the MQ and you have to play through a certain amount to unlock poo poo before you can set the entire MQ off to the side. Granted mods usually fix that, but even so I've played all the Bethesda games that fit that criteria. What is out there where you don't have to do ANY of the MQ if you don't want to but all the abilities and stuff is still open to you from the start?

khy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 20, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Diogines posted:

You can get that from Horizon's Gate so long as you don't mind it being a tactical RPG. Boarding merchant vessels can be done almost immediately once you get a ship; you need to get a couple more ships and some equipment for your boarding party before it becomes viable. If you play on harder difficulty modes you need more ships and more crew until you get some exp to unlock skills effective for boarding.

Also the game has a bunch of optional dungeons you can raid for sweet loot and exp.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

khy posted:

Okay here's a thought.

What RPGs can you guys think of in the past decade or so that have a purely optional Main Quest, to the extent that NO PROGRESSION WHATSOEVER is gated behind it? I usually play Bethesda RPGs but even those put certain things gated behind the MQ and you have to play through a certain amount to unlock poo poo before you can set the entire MQ off to the side. Granted mods usually fix that, but even so I've played all the Bethesda games that fit that criteria. What is out there where you don't have to do ANY of the MQ if you don't want to but all the abilities and stuff is still open to you from the start?

I can't remember if Pillars of Eternity 2 quite fits this bill exactly, but after the couple of intro bits you are basically set loose on the world and the main quest is about 7% of the actual game. I can't think of anything specific being gated by it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Manager Hoyden posted:

System Crash is good. Note if you get the DLC starting the new story gives you a set deck of starting cards to start over building with so don't bother grinding once you're finished the main story

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Morrowind as well. You can never touch the MQ and do absolutely everything else.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

khy posted:

Okay here's a thought.

Elder Scrolls Online is like this.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
This is quite a specific request, but is there any "spectacle fighters" out there which has isometric viewpoint instead of 3rd person? The closest one would probably be Hades (which I've "finished" and actually burnt out of), but I'm actually highly interested in this now because of the following game:

Dreamscaper

It's mostly the timing/skill-based dodging/deflecting/slo-mo in combat which intrigues me. Like I said, there's a lot of 3rd person spectacle fighters out there, or isometric (a)RPGs, but it's something combining the 2 which I'm actually looking for now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

srulz posted:

This is quite a specific request, but is there any "spectacle fighters" out there which has isometric viewpoint instead of 3rd person? The closest one would probably be Hades (which I've "finished" and actually burnt out of), but I'm actually highly interested in this now because of the following game:

Dreamscaper

It's mostly the timing/skill-based dodging/deflecting/slo-mo in combat which intrigues me. Like I said, there's a lot of 3rd person spectacle fighters out there, or isometric (a)RPGs, but it's something combining the 2 which I'm actually looking for now.

El Shaddai, maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

srulz posted:

Dreamscaper

Hyper Light Drifter
Transistor...? maybe?????
Omensight has all that stuff except it's not isometric.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 21, 2020

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Superhot or Max Payne for slow-mo spectacle creation, probably.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

Superhot or Max Payne for slow-mo spectacle creation, probably.
Superhot is my favourite isometric game

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Any God / Simulator games that are any decent? Playing the Universim kinda made me want to play the genre again, but that one is decidedly till in a rough EA mode and it isn't pushing the buttons I want.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

srulz posted:

Dreamscaper

Furi? It's not isometric all the time, but there's a lot of timing and skill based dodging involved.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

srulz posted:

Dreamscaper

I never played it but Ruiner looks like it might check some of those boxes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

srulz posted:

Dreamscaper

Assault Spy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

srulz posted:

Dreamscaper

Check out Furi. It's a boss rush, no RPG elements or anything to speak of, but it does some things with dynamic camera angles that might be interesting to you if not exactly on point.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Furi is really cool and so is the soundtrack

https://youtu.be/gQ5gtInauiI

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Furi is unbelievably good and the soundtrack is an all-timer

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Have you played Sunless Sea?

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I'm trying to find a new RPG to fall down in for like 200 hours, but I'm tired of replaying the ones I have. I've replayed all the Final Fantasies, Ateliers, Disgaeas and Tales of games that are available on modern consoles and most of the big standalone titles like Octopath Traveler, etc. Basically I just want some kind of bullshit anime fantasy story in a turn-based or otherwise not-too-frantic battle system. Anime optional, it's just where my brain is at.

I haven't gotten into Trails in the Sky bc I bounced hard off the first one so I'm not sure how the rest of the series is. I'm also not that sure if Star Ocean is like, anything.

I've got a PS4 and a Switch, but no PC access.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HellOnEarth posted:

I'm trying to find a new RPG to fall down in for like 200 hours, but I'm tired of replaying the ones I have. I've replayed all the Final Fantasies, Ateliers, Disgaeas and Tales of games that are available on modern consoles and most of the big standalone titles like Octopath Traveler, etc. Basically I just want some kind of bullshit anime fantasy story in a turn-based or otherwise not-too-frantic battle system. Anime optional, it's just where my brain is at.

I haven't gotten into Trails in the Sky bc I bounced hard off the first one so I'm not sure how the rest of the series is. I'm also not that sure if Star Ocean is like, anything.

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

HellOnEarth posted:

Final Fantasy XIV?

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Hwurmp posted:

Valkyria Chronicles 4

I've actually bought and returned that on Steam in the past. I just didn't really enjoy playing it. :(

Edit: And I'm already subbed and finished the latest patch re: FFXIV

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

HellOnEarth posted:

Surely you've played Persona but you didn't mention it here so...

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Surely you've played Persona but you didn't mention it here so...

Ah, yeah, I've played them to shreds, repeatedly. I feel like I'm out of RPGs basically.

I've also played Xenosaga 2, Stardew Valley, the new Story of Seasons, Fire Emblem 3H, DQ11, Rune Factory, Trials of Mana...

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 23, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Would Ys games be too frantic? Origin and VIII are both on Switch, and Memories of Celceta is on PS4.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Unfortunately, I haven't really enjoyed the Ys games in the past when I've tried them. I feel like I'm being so picky but I've just played, like, dozens of RPGs and the sudden increase in pandemic time means I've replayed most of them within the past 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is on both consoles