Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

DickParasite posted:

If your main hobby is passive (or mostly passive) consumption of entertainment - video games, netflix, youtube, or whatever, you're probably a boring person and spend too much time talking about it on the internet

The kids at the skate park aren't gonna think your interesting. Just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
^^^that was never in question comrade. I'll use my old man powers to go to the park early in the morning when all the kids are asleep.

Snackula posted:

Is this the new boomer argument thread now that the other one's just that one poor guy's descent into madness?

You can't be saying poo poo like that and not dropping a link.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

DickParasite posted:

^^^that was never in question comrade. I'll use my old man powers to go to the park early in the morning when all the kids are asleep.

You can't be saying poo poo like that and not dropping a link.

Oh just the long-running Things Boomers Like thread in which poster Gaj starts off with an amusing anecdote about their boomer dad being a pain in the rear end about getting some roofing work done and then gradually pulls the curtain back on their dad being a completely unhinged nightmare creature. I can't find the actual kickoff for the roofing saga but this is an early update.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

DickParasite posted:

I take everything back if you can pull of this energy
https://youtu.be/t-wF3ChPpO0

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

just because video games aren't a real hobby that doesn't mean they are bad, its okay to like games, they just aren't actually a real hobby. Streaming might possibly be a hobby but it is an entirely different activity to just sitting in your room playing final fantasy 6 on zsnes.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
stolen hobby valor

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Excellent new webcomic that has been cropping up on r/funny for the last few days.

r/mad_comics if you want to gouge your eyes out.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

just because video games aren't a real hobby that doesn't mean they are bad, its okay to like games, they just aren't actually a real hobby. Streaming might possibly be a hobby but it is an entirely different activity to just sitting in your room playing final fantasy 6 on zsnes.

Lol hobby literally just means 'regular activity done for enjoyment'. Just because you look down your nose at it, doesn't make it any less a hobby. And before you say "it's not active" or "it's passive", knitting involves barely any movement and mostly following along to preset guides but no one would argue that's not a hobby.

Christ you guys are snobs.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

nah watching tv and surfing the internet aren't hobbies either, games are like watching tv, just mindless media consumption.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You see, if you aren't producing items of value or enhancing your skills wallet, you are simply spending your godgiven time upon this blighted blue dot wrong!

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
like any art form, video games can be metaphors to understand the world or pearls before swine, just like how writing can be used to create poetry rather than the sheepish tripe you people call posting.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Remember, doing things for pure enjoyment is sinful and wrong.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Excuse me but my Rimworld killbox is a work of art and furthermore I

Video games are extremely good and I like them a lot so quit Targeting Gamers. I also like laughing at Reddit goobers who think a comic about EA asking for money for content is the height of satire.

Theophany posted:

Excellent new webcomic that has been cropping up on r/funny for the last few days.

r/mad_comics if you want to gouge your eyes out.

It's like someone saw Cyanide and Happiness and wanted to make a G-rated version.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Walton Simons posted:

Excuse me but my Rimworld killbox is a work of art and furthermore I

Video games are extremely good and I like them a lot so quit Targeting Gamers. I also like laughing at Reddit goobers who think a comic about EA asking for money for content is the height of satire.

It's like someone saw Cyanide and Happiness and wanted to make a G-rated version.

The cop one is a recurring one that literally just copy/pastes panels and puts in a different one liner. It's loving art.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snackula posted:

Oh just the long-running Things Boomers Like thread in which poster Gaj starts off with an amusing anecdote about their boomer dad being a pain in the rear end about getting some roofing work done and then gradually pulls the curtain back on their dad being a completely unhinged nightmare creature. I can't find the actual kickoff for the roofing saga but this is an early update.

That was quite a journey. Thank you.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I think that streaming also tacitly sells a lie

Like take platonic example PewDiePie

PewDiePie absolutely wants his viewers to believe that he is a one man band, atleast in his earlier post-boom years

But there is an entire production team that allows Felix to play games and mug over the top for hours, write a little brief on what he's going for maybe then sleep

The most marketable/watchable parts are edited together by a team and this is produced into a "Show"

There is a fundamental disconnect between this outwards facing character that is PewDiePie and the person that is Felix

There is an argument for Felix being an organiser of people and a charasmatic figure and that is valid to an extent(and from a perspective, however when Johnny 'leven-year-olde says "mummy I wanna be a streamer when I grow up" they really are saying "Mother, I would like to be paid for playing video games"

This is somewhat different for live streaming but the fundamental argument holds I feel

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The only acceptable take for goons is to dislike something but not so much that you have an opinion on it. Super gen x vibe.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The_Continental posted:

The only acceptable take for goons is to dislike something but not so much that you have an opinion on it. Super gen x vibe.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

The_Continental posted:

Video games are designed as entertainment. Therefore they are designed to give you an immediate reward for some minimal effort. Sure, there are games that delay that gratification somewhat but even they are offering positive reinforcement through mild escapism.

Other poo poo, whether it be sailing, playing guitar, woodcarving, or knitting. You have to suck at it first. You need to screw up and maybe hurt yourself and still continue to practice. That fact alone makes people who are really good at something all the more impressive.

Bideo james give you the mere illusion of participation, but the stakes really couldnt be any lower.

I know guys who smoke a ton of weed. They are great at it. They have knowlege of strains and various methods of ingestion. At the end of the day all theyve done is get really good at something that gives immediate gratification. Theyve felt good the whole time. I guess thats their right, but im never going to be impressed by someones 3foot bong rip or Call of Duty skills as I will at someone skillfully playing piano, or having read and understood Gravitys Rainbow.

That last one is weirdly specific and obviously personal and you're a loving loser lol, nobody cares

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/Salamander18th/status/1296105548576968706?s=19

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

It might be time to take a break from being online and start interacting with some real people some time.

Sorry, but no one expects you to be equally impressed with bong rips as you are pianists. Jesus.

seriously just imagine reading these weird snobby posts out loud to a regular person IRL

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

feelix posted:

That last one is weirdly specific and obviously personal and you're a loving loser lol, nobody cares

Feelix, relax.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if video games are a hobby, reading magazines on the toilet is also a hobby

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The_Continental posted:

I guess thats their right, but im never going to be impressed by someones 3foot bong rip or Call of Duty skills as I will at someone skillfully playing piano, or having read and understood Gravitys Rainbow.

OP just reading motherfucking Gravity's Rainbow on the train, holding it at a really precise angle to make everyone can see the cover. Every 60 seconds on the dot does a little head nod and "hmm" sound so everyone knows this mfer ain't just reading- they're understanding.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hawowanlawow posted:

seriously just imagine reading these weird snobby posts out loud to a regular person IRL

The law says I'm not allowed within 50 ft of other people though.

Caesar Saladin posted:

if video games are a hobby, reading magazines on the toilet is also a hobby

I've never understood how people spend enough time taking a poo poo to even peruse a magazine article. How much time do you people spend making GBS threads? Maybe I just get a lot of fibre.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 21, 2020

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Oh, you watched a B horror movie marathon last night? How droll! *Blows bubbles out of pipe* Ever heard of kino, you unhwashed peasant?

I know this is so tongue in cheek that the tip pokes through and blood sprays everywhere, but you can be a person who likes art house and grindhouse movies. It's not hard, you take whatever film you're watching in its own context and enjoy it on its own terms. Ironic snobbery's still feigning insufferability - you can do better.

Video games not being a real hobby is eye-rolling; it's not the most productive use of your time, but it keeps people from starting fights at Chuck E. Cheese.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
CD is leaking

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Hasturtium posted:

Video games not being a real hobby is eye-rolling; it's not the most productive use of your time, but it keeps people from starting fights at Chuck E. Cheese.

At least the dudes fighting at Chuck E. Cheese are getting out of the house.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hobbies are supposed to enrich you, video games make you actively worse, you just have to look at any video game discussion board to see that

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

DickParasite posted:

At least the dudes fighting at Chuck E. Cheese are getting out of the house.

You can also play games or watch movies after you've already been out of the house for the day. A hobby doesn't have to be an obsession.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Anime and videogames built a lot of great men

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Where are the reddit posts you dick holes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Where are the reddit posts you dick holes

These have all been reddit posts.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Theophany posted:

haha it do be like that

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Seriously, source your quotes guys. I though for a second you were all sad pieces of poo poo arguing over nothing for like 3 pages.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Seriously, source your quotes guys. I though for a second you were all sad pieces of poo poo arguing over nothing for like 3 pages.

wow and now they're calling videogames nothing

I assure you they very much exist

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you really think you could get away with besmirching video games on reddit? They would descend upon your like vultures. Its like how recently an anime meme subreddit tried to ban the word "trap" in regards to trans people and the main mod was doxxed IRL.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The_Continental posted:

edit for content:
Hard working sex-haver is just sick to death of all the gently caress-talk

I mean, I agree... but not in the way this guy probably hoped for. Much like "keep politics out of X" is dog whistle shorthand for "I don't want these troublesome women and minorities reminding me of their existence or campaigning for equal rights", "keep your sexuality out of the workplace" is shorthand for "I don't want to be reminded that some people are not cis or straight". And outside Key & Peele sketches and alt-right STDH.txt I don't think there's many non-cis or non-straight people drawing attention to themselves in the workplace because they've learned the hard way that attention is usually very negative attention.

I do agree that there is often too much sexual talk in many workplaces, but guess what, it's these guys themselves doing the talking, because until very recently nobody ever told them to shut the gently caress up. And now that someone has, they are VERY upset and won't shut up about it. So yeah, I'd very much appreciate not having to hear about who you're banging, who your boy Todd is trying to bang, or your thoughts on women you saw on campus.

So yeah, please keep your sexuality out of the workplace, dudes.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 21, 2020

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Chess is a passive activity. Fuckin worthless boardgames where you turn off your brain and you’re just along for the ride aren’t a real, active, hobby. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Hihohe posted:

I got all excited at like 130 unread posts and came in here to find some kind of weird role-play.