Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

cant cook creole bream posted:

I know the appearance is highly customized, but this just makes it sound like a woman in her early thirties has lead a full life and can be discarded, which is a bit weird, honestly.

Also, what happens if a person comes in who's already pretty much dead?

When you were 14, did 30 seem SUPER OLD and as though your life would be OVER?

I suspect we're getting a 14 year old's picture of what aging looks like.

Note how the ages of the Norns were different depending on the viewer. Anja's view of the Norns had Verthandi a little older than Anja looks currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is there a reason why Skuld doesn't talk?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is there a reason why Skuld doesn't talk?

something future is unknown something

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Disappointed we don't see a couple Norn versions of Brinnie in the ZAM panel.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

All I can think is that I hope Anja gets her coffee table back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well at least now we know why phone repair services are so expensive, they have to send it to another plane of existence.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Prediction: the post chapter page will be Anja sadly realizing that they left her coffee table in another dimension

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Toddler Kat/Skuld is still adorable. I guess the transmitter is getting upgraded to send signals back in time?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Toddler Kat/Skuld is still adorable. I guess the transmitter is getting upgraded to send signals back in time?

Adding unlimited nights and weekends to her plan.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Adding unlimited nights and weekends to her plan.

Getting her signed up for NornVPN.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Inspiration flashes and Kat shifts a version of herself from another universe so she can both spend time with Paz and get into hijinx with Annies

"Actually, I was hoping you would take my timeline's Paz."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Fecha posted:

Prediction: the post chapter page will be Anja sadly realizing that they left her coffee table in another dimension

I'd be pretty hype if my coffee table were taken by the Fates. I'd brag about that sort of thing to visitors. They'd probably assume I broke the table.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Donkringel posted:

Getting her signed up for NornVPN.

SensibleChuckle.gif

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

What happens if you drink from the time stream?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fecha posted:

Theres an infinite room full of various instances of Anja's abandoned furniture.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Well, that moved a lot faster than I thought it would.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

out of context it's pretty funny the norns are just handing over powers over time like it's nothing but as they're not fixed in time they probably know every instance of kat that's ever existed and she's as familiar as a constant friend

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Yeah, so wait... Kat gets to go see the norns because she invented time travel birds, but then it turns out they just give her the ability to do the time travel and her invention had nothing to do with it?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

She's apparently set to become a deity whose mother has a mutual acquaintance in another deity. It's just networking and favours.

Whether or not she made it capable of time travel (which is impossible, by the way), it's still her robot bird and what it does is more part of her own legend than anyone else's.

maswastaken fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 21, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My guess is she did the time travel thing on her own once, or in some other way proved herself worthy, and in all other variations the norns are just "it's cool kat's cool"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Splicer posted:

My guess is she did the time travel thing on her own once, or in some other way proved herself worthy, and in all other variations the norns are just "it's cool kat's cool"

Or all of this is predestined. Everything that will happen has happened and everything that has happened will happen. Nothing is unaccounted for, and the start and endpoints are arbitrary.

I've always favored a no-free-will interpretation of time, where no one has a choice in their actions, but this is fundamentally irrelevant because we can't perceive outcomes to be anything other than what they appear to be--or rather, we can't see outside the system. I kinda wonder if Tom might be going in this direction with how casually people in the know are treating time travel. It makes sense for it to be NBD if any shenanigans are part of the larger plan.

(Coincidentally, I think it would explain a lack of time travelers, because most people who learn that knowledge would probably be stricken by a deep sense of ennui knowing that everything they do from that point on has already been done. Most would probably want to forget they ever learned the secret, which the universe obliges because that's how the whole thing was written. It would take an exceptionally strong will to know that everything you will ever do is predestined, and then keep going and acting your part in the play.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Or it's just a really convenient way to stop her from developing time travel independent of their power.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I did not expect the time stream to be so literal.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Warmachine posted:

Or all of this is predestined. Everything that will happen has happened and everything that has happened will happen. Nothing is unaccounted for, and the start and endpoints are arbitrary.

I've always favored a no-free-will interpretation of time, where no one has a choice in their actions, but this is fundamentally irrelevant because we can't perceive outcomes to be anything other than what they appear to be--or rather, we can't see outside the system. I kinda wonder if Tom might be going in this direction with how casually people in the know are treating time travel. It makes sense for it to be NBD if any shenanigans are part of the larger plan.

(Coincidentally, I think it would explain a lack of time travelers, because most people who learn that knowledge would probably be stricken by a deep sense of ennui knowing that everything they do from that point on has already been done. Most would probably want to forget they ever learned the secret, which the universe obliges because that's how the whole thing was written. It would take an exceptionally strong will to know that everything you will ever do is predestined, and then keep going and acting your part in the play.)

Tom usually has a pretty clever twist on many of these concepts, so I'm going to guess it won't be as clear-cut as just "yeah everything is fate"

My prediction is that everyone has free will, but ALSO everything is predetermined. So like, you have free will and can do whatever you choose! But you will always choose to do the exact same thing, so it's sort of like everything is set in stone! So there's some reasoning why / how you can't know what you'll do in advance, so there's no way you can do something different.

There could maybe be some ether poo poo too, like the future is "fake" that is created by the ether based on what each and every person connected to it plans to do. So if you can somehow see the future and decide to change it, then the future literally changes to have "always have been" how it will be based on this change. Sort of like how Coyote put the stars in the sky, or how Jones came to be.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rand Brittain posted:

Or it's just a really convenient way to stop her from developing time travel independent of their power.
I'm amending my guess. The "first" time she did time travel she caused all kinds of problems so now the norns are all "OK here we'll do it for you because ugh"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Imagine four Annies on the edge of a bridge

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It wouldn't surprise me if every time she's done a time travel it's been about the same. Here it was urged by Annie to talk to Anja who brings in Bryn who takes her to the Norns but I can easilyt see the "first" time line having her get in such a funk that she just brings it up to Anja on her own who then brings in Bryn who takes her to the Norns who gives her time travel access just like we saw here

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Norns gave Kt time travel powers because she visits the Norns a lot because the Norns gave Kat time travel powers because she visits the Norns a lot because the Norns gave Kat time travel powers because she visits the Norns a lot [...]

Like seems pretty cut and dry to me.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well this is deus ex machina as gently caress

Not sure I love how casual they are about handing out time travel

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
They're casually handing time travel to Kat because they already know Kat can be trusted with time travel because they already know future Kat who has proven she can be trusted with time travel.

It's causal loop 101, people. :eng101:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Wyld Karde posted:

They're casually handing time travel to Kat because they already know Kat can be trusted with time travel because they already know future Kat who has proven she can be trusted with time travel.

There is no loop for the Norns. Kat visits Norns, Kat does important thing(s) with the time stream. Neither event or iteration thereof happens in any particular order, in the Norns' persepctive.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wyld Karde posted:

They are aware of Roko's basilisk and know that it's their best interest to help Kat anyway they can.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

CJacobs posted:

Imagine four Annies on the edge of a bridge

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Here’s a short story about determinism and time travel:

What’s Expected Of Us by Ted Chiang

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

maswastaken posted:

There is no loop for the Norns. Kat visits Norns, Kat does important thing(s) with the time stream. Neither event or iteration thereof happens in any particular order, in the Norns' persepctive.

Ah, the wormhole prophets perception of temporal reality. I can see that. Well, as much as a meatbag bound to a linear and subjective experience of time can see it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Inglonias posted:

What happens if you drink from the time stream?

You suddenly have to pee yesterday

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
If anyone itt hasn't read Slaughterhouse-Five, you should go read it. It's a genuinely excellent book, both as a sci-fi story and as Proper Literature. And it's pretty short and accessible, imo.

For those who have read it, well, the Norns' perspective on time is very familiar, wouldn't you say? They see Kat as a long four-dimensional worm with baby Kat at one end and corpse Kat at the other. So it goes.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
"What happened the first time?"
"Why, that's when you built us!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"What happened the first time?"
"Well the good news is that, from a certain perspective, all those people are alive and well."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The Norns about to dunk Kat into the Time Stream.