Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Yay for awkward spider sex.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

I think this is a fall webworm? I dunno but it's pretty and fuzzy :kimchi:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That is a very lovely shot and I do think it's a fall webworm, yes. Female, I'd say.

Tiny green crab spider. That was a tough shot to get at that angle.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Found some Camptogramma bilineata (Yellow Shell) resting on my door. Yes, that's a different one than the whitish moth from last, although I wasn't sure at first myself. The pattern almost made me think it was just more off-white.

edit: Here's an ant farm. Not my ant farm, just ants who are farming.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 14, 2020

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Here's a False Black Widow (Steatoda grossa) I caught in my basement.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've got some awkward adolescent bluejays hanging around the birdfeeder today

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

poverty goat posted:

I've got some awkward adolescent bluejays hanging around the birdfeeder today

Corvids are the best. I put out a makeshift birdbath in the backyard hoping to assist the neighborhood crows and scrub and Steller's jays since it is getting crazy hot here lately.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Saw this guy on my front porch last week.

He's about the size of a quarter.

I had to know what he was! I felt confident that the word "tiger" would be in his common name.

Uploading to Google Images confirmed he was indeed some kind of tiger moth.

I think he is probably a Harnessed Tiger Moth.

It's interesting how people are attracted to pretty patterns. If he would have been all grey, brown, or white, I would have probably ignored him. :\

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Telebite posted:

Saw this guy on my front porch last week.

He's about the size of a quarter.

I had to know what he was! I felt confident that the word "tiger" would be in his common name.

Uploading to Google Images confirmed he was indeed some kind of tiger moth.

I think he is probably a Harnessed Tiger Moth.

It's interesting how people are attracted to pretty patterns. If he would have been all grey, brown, or white, I would have probably ignored him. :\

I assume moths are often really pretty because a lot of them are just a short-lived life-stage for breeding purposes. I remember finding a beautiful moth one summer and looking it up, and being mildly disturbed to find it usually only had vestigial mouth parts and didn't eat at all, and was just a mate-spawn-die critter.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Chows posted:

Tiger moth, Genus Spilosoma

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Moths largely signal for mating through pheromones, so that's only a fairly small part of it. The often very eye-catching (to humans) patterns and colors of many moths and butterflies are a combination of camouflage - even something quite similar to dazzle camouflage for the more colorful types - and a type of mimicry that is intended to divert the attention of predators from vital parts to less-vital parts, resemble the body shape of a different non-prey animal, or even imitate the colorings of other, more poisonous insects. Butterflies with big eye-looking spots, for example, attempt to scare away predators by faking the appearance of being a much larger animal, which actually works often enough that evolution has spread the adaptation around to quite a large number of species.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

!!! A lovely long-tailed skipper just stopped by. Here it is drinking nectar from one of my pitcher plants. Also very impressed with the camera on my Pixel.

I'm disappointed that I didn't get a shot of its back though, because that's what makes them so cool. See here:

http://www.carolinanature.com/butterflies/longtailedskipper.html

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
Do your best, catalpa worms!

Chows posted:

I like the stylish winter coat

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Bees! So many bees!

I think this one was sleeping.

This one was on the sidewalk not moving so I brought it home and gave it some sugar water.

This little hoppy thing wanted to read my magazine.

Rare to see that many hares together.

I didn't notice the second spider initially. Her mate?

This magpie didn't fly away when I approached with my dog, so I watched it for awhile and it seemed to have trouble flying and fell over a couple of times. Then the other magpies attacked it. I shooed them off, eventually captured it, and took it to the local wildlife rehab centre.

It wasn't exactly thrilled.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeesh, that poor magpie looks terrible. I don't know what that crust around its eyes signifies, but I can't imagine it's anything good.

I saw a bee peeing/beeing today. No pics, it's indecent (also I am not that fast.)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Chows posted:

that's a really cool critter

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

About a week or two ago we noticed a black widow's set up shop in my dying tomato planter and today I finally got a photo of her.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tiger Snail (or Snoll, the locals spell it weirdly) I found in my front yard. Almost 15 centimeters in total, pretty big boy/girl. They can get almost 8 inches long. I really love the way you can see the well-defined texture of the skin in that shot.

Also, bonus silverfish - a lot hairier than I thought it would be. I've been having a lot of those this year, it has been a warm and muggy summer with very high air humidity and silverfish really thrive in that kind of climate. They're completely harmless and mold spores make up a large part of their diet, so they're not altogether bad to have around.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Cardiovorax posted:

Tiger Snail (or Snoll, the locals spell it weirdly) I found in my front yard. Almost 15 centimeters in total, pretty big boy/girl. They can get almost 8 inches long. I really love the way you can see the well-defined texture of the skin in that shot.

I love this photo! This would be a type of slug, though, given the lack of shell. It's it just locally that it's known as a snail?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

I love this photo! This would be a type of slug, though, given the lack of shell. It's it just locally that it's known as a snail?
No, I was just joking about the fact that it's called a Schnegel rather than a Schnecke, which is not something that I thought was even a word before I looked up the Wikipedia article. There's no real distinct word for slugs as opposed to snails, so I tend to get those mixed up at times.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ooh. Thanks for explaining!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Not only do we have separate words for slugs and snails, we also have the two terms semisnail or semislug for ones with a shell that's too small to retreat into.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Cardiovorax posted:

Also, bonus silverfish - a lot hairier than I thought it would be. I've been having a lot of those this year, it has been a warm and muggy summer with very high air humidity and silverfish really thrive in that kind of climate. They're completely harmless and mold spores make up a large part of their diet, so they're not altogether bad to have around.

Looks like you found the relative newcomer species (as a cosmopolitan synanthtropic silverfish) Ctenolepisma longicaudata. Can tolerate drier environments than the regular indoor silverfish, are larger with longer hairs and filaments.

Been enjoying walking in the woods with my light at night for finding some nocturnal critters, like this ground beetle (Carabus violaceus).

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 18, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Falukorv posted:

Looks like you found the relative newcomer species (as a cosmopolitan synanthtropic silverfish) Ctenolepisma longicaudata. Can tolerate drier environments than the regular indoor silverfish, are larger with longer hairs and filaments.
Aaand they eat books, great. I think I might have to introduce some house pseudoscorpions to keep the population in check...

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mercury Hat posted:

About a week or two ago we noticed a black widow's set up shop in my dying tomato planter and today I finally got a photo of her.

nice!

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

A neat spider

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i sense a convergence... when the most powerful beings in the universe are drawn together in a dangerous display of puissance

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mozi posted:

i sense a convergence... when the most powerful beings in the universe are drawn together in a dangerous display of puissance

Too many words.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
been reading malazan recently, so sue me

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chows posted:

A neat spider

That is a neat spider.

I've been have strange luck with slugs recently. I just keep running into really big and photogenic ones. Well, this one kinda ran into me. Invaded my home in its eagerness to make it big in the modelling business!

Don't worry about that giant hole in its side, it's how they breathe. And yes, it is lifting its head to look at me.

Also, bonus grasshopper.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Hello critterquest people! My friend made a little documentary about her pond jar with shrimps and snails, it's super adorable, and I thought this thread would appreciate it: https://youtu.be/2Hz8wxIsMAU

Ebola Dog posted:

I feel like if you want bees and butterfly's in your garden then you should get some lavender, not only do they love it but it also flowers for a long time and smells great!

Cardiovorax posted:

Lavender is great and I am planning to plant more of it. It's so relaxing to watch the little guys work.

If you are at all able to plant it in your areas, I have had amazing results with dotted horsemint (Monarda punctata). I've had great golden digger wasps, orchid bees, sweat bees, carpenter bees, bumble friends, honey bees, etc. all over the plants when they flower. They go absolutely nuts over it. Porterweed (Stachytarpheta spp.) is also really good, I get lots of butterflies with that, and have even attracted a few hummingbirds.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Using plants native to your area for your plantings is far and above the best way to foster local wildlife, especially pollinators

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Free Cheese posted:

Using plants native to your area for your plantings is far and above the best way to foster local wildlife, especially pollinators

:hai:

Mom replaced most of her garden with native plants and now she's getting ten kinds of bees or something equally absurd. And so may goddamn wasps. It's a hymenoptera mosh put every time I visit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I'm likely not going to be using that horsemint for this reason. It would grow well, I think, based on the local climate, but it's not native and I try to avoid using plants like that for my garden. I want to provide animals with the kind of vegetation they are used to, so there's a lot of lilac and lavender. Nasturtiums and garlic blossoms (yes, really) are also going down very well with local insect populations.

I appreciate the suggestion, though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

YggiDee posted:

:hai:

Mom replaced most of her garden with native plants and now she's getting ten kinds of bees or something equally absurd. And so may goddamn wasps. It's a hymenoptera mosh put every time I visit.

Good :colbert:

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Free Cheese posted:

I wasn't suggesting people plant invasives / non-natives. That's why I said "able to plant in your area", I don't know where people ITT live. My garden is all native plants. :colbert:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's not like every non-native is automatically harmfully invasive either, so it's fine, really.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not like every non-native is automatically harmfully invasive either, so it's fine, really.

Ha, I'm only "Internet mad", not actually upset about it. I dislike non-natives/invasives, so didn't want to seem like I was coming off as recommending them. :sweatdrop:

For anyone in Florida though, definitely plant porterweed, and a firebush too. I was just outside getting a picture of a spicebush swallowtail, when a cloudless sulphur also showed up, then a little brown skipper of some sort (haven't gone through my butterfly book yet), and there were also a few zebra longwings and Gulf fritillaries zipping about too, and of course so many honeybees. At some point I need to upload these drat pics to share them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regardless of whether decorative plants establish themselves as invasive, planting local native species is still going to be better for local pollinator and bird populations than the alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No argument there, which is why I make a point of doing that.