Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Tsons are like 2015-, Death Guard are 2017- and CSM are 2019- so anything you grab should last a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

LifeLynx posted:

Oh dang you're right, I didn't realize they got a refresh so recently.

Just waiting for the Berzerkers, Noise Marines, and maybe new Possessed or something I guess.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I am waiting for the pimarisized Emperor's Children models. It just seems to make sense fluffwise that Fabius will have perfected his own tainted version of the Rubicon primaris, maybe as a result of capturing and experimenting on primaris soldiers.

I can't remember where I heard it but someone was also pointing out that the Emperor's Children page in the new core book has no picture of the models on it, which would suggest that there's a refresh coming.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I would snap buy modern EC models in a second, I've always loved their aesthetic but while Slaneesh has gotten decent support over the years EC never does.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Cinara posted:

I would snap buy modern EC models in a second, I've always loved their aesthetic but while Slaneesh has gotten decent support over the years EC never does.

Same, them getting the Death Guard treatment would be a delight. I'm happy if they don't drop until 10th and then come in as the face of the new edition.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Like I mentioned before, I haven't painted anything in probably a decade, but I bought some paints and some minis and managed to knock out a Stormcast Eternal and a unit of Guardsmen this week. They're not great but I'm having a lot of fun and it's very calming :shobon: (ignore the sergeant, I'm waiting on a better brush to put more detail into him)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cinara posted:

I'd love to see them lean into some more baroque gross ornamentation for EC. Even an upgrade sprue for chaos marines with different pads, weapons and heads.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JBP posted:

I'd love to see them lean into some more baroque gross ornamentation for EC. Even an upgrade sprue for chaos marines with different pads, weapons and heads.

Sadly they'll never go for the full on David Lee Roth decadent 80s metal aesthetic for EC, which would be awesome but noooo not grimdark enough.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sadly they'll never go for the full on David Lee Roth decadent 80s metal aesthetic for EC, which would be awesome but noooo not grimdark enough.

I'd be cool with them having a look at palatines and Phoenix terminators and twisting them up into something similar but nasty. I love my EC and I'd definitely get some 40k guys if they reflected that love of art and beauty, but all hosed up.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Oh dang you're right, I didn't realize they got a refresh so recently.

All marines, including chaos dudes, are also going up to 2 wounds (3 for terminators) with the release of their respective 9th edition codex. They're tweaking a lot of unit and weapon stats with the new edition as part of the renovation of the game started in 8th.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Took a stab at kitbashing as a gift for my brother who got me painting. A little cluttered but I think it came out okay. First attempt at a larger base too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I said it in the 40k discord but I love how huge his head is compared to the armour

Painted up my first marine from Indomitus and I'm pretty happy how fast I can bang out the zenithal shading

Just noticed that the highlight on the collar is a little too sharp for the diagonal light I wanted to go for and also I forgot to outline the backpack dangit. Aside from that I'm not sure how to elevate this mini even though I know it can be.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I love it!

The biggest thing I can see for bringing it to the next level would be to fix that minor texturing/speckling you're getting, it's very noticeable on the shoulderpads. I'm guessing it's coming from some part of your priming/zenithal process, what are you using for that?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Eej posted:

I said it in the 40k discord but I love how huge his head is compared to the armour
There's a discord?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cinara posted:

I love it!

The biggest thing I can see for bringing it to the next level would be to fix that minor texturing/speckling you're getting, it's very noticeable on the shoulderpads. I'm guessing it's coming from some part of your priming/zenithal process, what are you using for that?

Oh that's airbrush which is a constant process for me in figuring out distance/thinning/psi for a smooth application. Might be easier once my conversion kit comes for my Badger so I feel more comfortable with the brush real close but I'll keep fiddling regardless.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

There's a discord?

I just happened to see their Ork in the reddit discord for 40k

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Eej posted:

Oh that's airbrush which is a constant process for me in figuring out distance/thinning/psi for a smooth application. Might be easier once my conversion kit comes for my Badger so I feel more comfortable with the brush real close but I'll keep fiddling regardless.

Oh that's not a big deal then, you're right it's just a process to figure out how you want to be spraying your paints. Every paint is going to be a little bit different also, especially between different brands. I love my airbrush now but it was a big learning curve for sure.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Eej posted:

Painted up my first marine from Indomitus and I'm pretty happy how fast I can bang out the zenithal shading

Just noticed that the highlight on the collar is a little too sharp for the diagonal light I wanted to go for and also I forgot to outline the backpack dangit. Aside from that I'm not sure how to elevate this mini even though I know it can be.

This is cool. One thing you could try is edge highlighting the gun if you're looking for further pop.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Eej posted:

The way I was taught to overcome the speckling from highlighting with the airbrush was to actually overhighlight and then knock it back with a filter matching your basecoat color. It’s kinda hard to describe, but once you get it working the results are pretty amazing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bucnasti posted:

The way I was taught to overcome the speckling from highlighting with the airbrush was to actually overhighlight and then knock it back with a filter matching your basecoat color. It’s kinda hard to describe, but once you get it working the results are pretty amazing.

Yeah I actually did that with my latest batch. Transferring my knowledge of Photoshop airbrushing to real airbrushing.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Some questions I probably should've asked before I went full ham on my box of spess mehreens:

1. Do the weapons wielded by the models need to match up with what I'm saying they have while playing? I assume I can't take a guy with a bolter pistol and say he's actually using a rocket launcher.

1A. If I gave a model a weapon from another faction, can I have that count as a weapon that model would normally be able to use? For example, if I gave a marine a Mechanicus pistol because I like the way it looks, can it function as a bolter pistol when in a game?

2. I saw that rules exist for putting certain HQ infantry units on speeder bikes. If I put a guy on a horse model, could I say it's a speeder bike for the purposes of tabletop play?

I get that the answers to these are probably going to depend a lot on what my opponent is willing to accept, but if there are any hard rules preventing these sorts of things, that'd be helpful to know.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Communist Walrus posted:

Some questions I probably should've asked before I went full ham on my box of spess mehreens:

1. Do the weapons wielded by the models need to match up with what I'm saying they have while playing? I assume I can't take a guy with a bolter pistol and say he's actually using a rocket launcher.

1A. If I gave a model a weapon from another faction, can I have that count as a weapon that model would normally be able to use? For example, if I gave a marine a Mechanicus pistol because I like the way it looks, can it function as a bolter pistol when in a game?

2. I saw that rules exist for putting certain HQ infantry units on speeder bikes. If I put a guy on a horse model, could I say it's a speeder bike for the purposes of tabletop play?

I get that the answers to these are probably going to depend a lot on what my opponent is willing to accept, but if there are any hard rules preventing these sorts of things, that'd be helpful to know.

1. Yes, "What You See Is What You Get" is the goal. This can have varying degrees of loosness/tightness depending on the stakes of the game and the level of relationship between the players (in a tournament don't expect it to fly but for "beers and warhams in the garage with friends" it's probably ok). At very least everything needs to be written on the army list and you need to be able to explain which shootsman has which pew-pew.
1A. See 1 (above), but generally as long as you document and discuss what's what (and don't have one mechanicus pistol be a rocket launcher and another one be a meltagun) it's unlikely to be much of a problem. The key is consistency, documentation, discussion.
2. See 1 (above). In addition to "consistency, documentation, discussion" try to make sure the new model has the same base size and (roughly) similar profile/height/width as the original, otherwise its MFA which is an badde thinge.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 21, 2020

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Crossposting from the mini painting thread!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
With stuff like hellblasters, if you modelled them with a different type of plasma than you want to use, as long as the whole unit is using the different weapon profile I don't think that's a big deal.

Also depends on how well you know the people and stuff too.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Communist Walrus posted:

I mean all of this is up to your opponent, but in my experiences I'll answer based on what I found people's attitudes generally tend to be.

1) If a dude has a rocket launcher and you say "right, this guy has a heavy bolter" it's different to "this guy has a bolt gun, I'm saying he's got a rocket launcher". One of these is essentially saying "this squad has this equipment, and the heavy weapon is carried by the model with the heavy weapon, even if its the wrong one". The other is "I've not got a heavy weapon model, but my squad has one, so one of the random guys has it". The same applies with special weapons (e.g. This flamer is a meltagun). It becomes more frustrating if you are not consistent. For example say you have four squads of Tactical marines and all of them have missile launchers. If you tell me three have lascannons, two ha e heavy bolters, and one has a missile launcher, this is getting into the realms of annoying.

Ultimately it is up to your opponents, I've even played a game where we used actual tins of house paint as necron monoliths because someone wanted to try out using three of them but only owned one didn't want to buy such expensive models without trying the list. Doing that for one game? Sure. If the guy turns up with tins of paint every week I'm going to be annoyed.

1A) If the gun looks similar to the gun they should have, it's not really an issue at all. Swapping a bolt pistol for a weird looking ad mech pistol and saying "he's got a bolt pistol" isn't an issue. Swapping a missile launcher for a ad mech pistol and saying its still a rocket launcher is sort of annoying (though I could see scope to use weird tiny pistols as lascannons and saying they are like the noise cricket from men in black)

2) If its the right size and shape and on the same size base, sure. It would be a bit weird to have a guy on a horse move as far as a bike but it's not a problem. It could always be some crazy breed of horse from a weird planet, or have cybernetic enhancements or something.

Ultimately too sometimes it's hard to see whether something you're doing is annoying people or not because they may not come out and say it. Unpainted armies is a big one, where like many people will say they know That Guy who owns like 6 armies and hasn't painted any of them in ten years, but it's not like anyone's going to confront him about it and they may still play with him. Other people don't give a poo poo at all that every game is against an army of grey plastic.

So I'd basically do what you think looks cool model wise, but to avoid annoying people unnecessarily make sure that your models are very clear what they are and consistent across your army. "All my guys with these tiny pistols are lascannons" or "all my outriders are on horses but count as bikes" is a quirky thing, confusing your opponent by having incorrect models and you have to explain what they are unit by unit is annoying.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 21, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I hope that kitbashes are cool so long as they're roughly the same size and shape. I'm putting together a commander farsight by magnetizing a sword and shield onto a coldstar commander, because I don't want to get the finecast model. Also because some lists I don't want to run farsight but instead just an unnamed commander, so it'll be nice having one model work for both. Only problem is that I'm unsure of where to get an appropriate sized sword, so if there's nothing good looking in the Indomitus box I may have to DIY it from plasticard or something. For the shield I'm going to use the top of a drone and put a transfer on it for the Sept symbol.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Thanks dudes, I appreciate the long responses and these are very helpful.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
No worries.

I had to pick up some paints today so I also then realised I've never really painted really pale (like slaanesh pale) skin before and decided doing it for the first time on a keeper of secrets is a bad idea, so I bought a box of chaos spawn instead.

The list I'm going to build as a 1,000 point word bearers to mostly just use at home is basically the Start Collecting box (Master of Possession, 2 x 5 man CSM squads, 2 x Greater Possessed, 2 Obliterators, 1 Venomcrawler), a Keeper of Secrets (summoned in using the Incursion psychic power for cool points) and a single Chaos Spawn because I had 30 points left over and nothing to do with them.

I doubt i'll make the army much bigger if I'm honest, the only thing I could maybe see myself doing is buying all the greater daemons both as display pieces but also so I can summon any of them that I feel like.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

HeavingGirth posted:

Seriously, I lurk a lot and very slowly work on my Word Bearers/Death Guard, but you've inspired me to try some 30k Night Lords. I have Sevatar sitting on my desk, waiting for the last of my paints to arrive. Not gonna be anywhere near your quality, but thanks for the huge inspiration in the quality you paint!

hey man i missed this; I don't check this thread very often. That's really cool to hear. Post them in the 30k thread when you're done!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Am I crazy or* was there an AWACS Marauder, in addition to the recon version?

*: not necessarily an either/or. :shrug:

E: At least mentioned in fluff, I mean.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 21, 2020

Ziek
Mar 9, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

E: At least mentioned in fluff, I mean.
The Marauder Vigilant is what you are thinking of.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ziek posted:

The Marauder Vigilant is what you are thinking of.

Yeah, you're probably right. Doesn't have the fuckoff hueg dome on it though.

:sigh:

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Bucnasti posted:

I've seen this in current fluff too. The knee-pads or legs on Primaris marines are often painted with campaign/crusade badges. There are even decals for them on the Dark Imperium decal sheet.

I swear I’ve seen this info graph before but can’t remember where. Which book is it from?

And thanks for all the input, everyone! I’m getting a little burned on painting just green and wanted to spice up a few models here and there.

Also I know I used the wrong word in my example but I just could remember the opposite of “successor” for the life of me.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Hellburger99 posted:

I swear I’ve seen this info graph before but can’t remember where. Which book is it from?

And thanks for all the input, everyone! I’m getting a little burned on painting just green and wanted to spice up a few models here and there.

Also I know I used the wrong word in my example but I just could remember the opposite of “successor” for the life of me.

To be fair one of the cool things about Crusade as a set of rules is the fact your units grow and attain fame (or infamy) and you can if you want decorate them to represent this. Like a squad of Intercessors actually kill a greater daemon with a great shooting roll, and they level up and gain some battle honour that means they shoot better, and you paint a symbol on their armour to show their triumph, that sort of thing.

My major problem is just that my Grey Knights are too ornate and strictly coloured to do anything interesting with, and most my guardsmen will probably die too much to truly be considered veterans.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
So this has probably been asked dozens of times, but is there a resource to colour match citadel paints to other brands?
My friend got me a Tau starter army kit, and I really don't want to blow $200 CAD on all the paints GW recommends for me.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

BadMedic posted:

So this has probably been asked dozens of times, but is there a resource to colour match citadel paints to other brands?
My friend got me a Tau starter army kit, and I really don't want to blow $200 CAD on all the paints GW recommends for me.

Different manufacturers aren't going to be a whole lot cheaper - perhaps more paint per pot, but not cheaper per bottle. If budget's an issue you can just pick up some primary colours, a wet palette, and mix your own paints.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BadMedic posted:

Some are easier to match than others. I have a couple bookmarks that might help.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/edit#gid=4

https://redgrimm.github.io/paint-conversion/index.html

https://encycolorpedia.com/9a816b

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

BadMedic posted:

$200 is about 40 paint pots. I don't think you need 40 paint pots to get started. A can of primer(okay actually maybe just buy this from a hardware store because generally I haven't been impressed with gw primer and it's like $10 more expensive) and a couple each of bases, layers, and shades shouldn't run you more than $50.

Brushes tho, go cheap starting out. Dollar tree sells totally fine brushes.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 22, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is there a suggested black/white primer that I can get from the hardware store? I wanna get zenithal this weekend

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Thanks for the list.

And yeah, 40 pots is what GW 'recommends' on the official 40K site. Even has a helpful 'add all to cart' button, which is where I got the $200 figure. 10 different colours on the various models on the kit, x4 for the shading = a shitload of paint. I'm not taking it to heart though, cause obviously they have a vested interest in maximizing paint sales.

Also as someone coming to this from gunpla, fuuuck mould lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Thanqol posted:

Different manufacturers aren't going to be a whole lot cheaper - perhaps more paint per pot, but not cheaper per bottle. If budget's an issue you can just pick up some primary colours, a wet palette, and mix your own paints.

It's $5.40 CAD for a 12mL pot of Citadel paint and $3.59 for a 17mL bottle of Vallejo Model and Game Colour.

e: that's more than double the cost for paint

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 22, 2020